It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Sending money to Russia  (Read 5460 times)

Offline bucbud

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Sending money to Russia
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
Can somebody tell me the best way to send money to Russia??
No this is not a romance
I am 72, and she is 21. I met her (and the rest of her family) in 2006. Her home in Donetsk was destroyed, her younger (16) sister was killed. Her parents are dead. She is in St. Petersburg with friends.
I want to send some money,but do not know the best way. Western Union?? If I go the western Union route can she pick up the money at any western union office.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Offline Larry1

Re: Sending money to Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
It has been several years but I seem to remember that my fiancee could get funds I sent to her by Western Union also at a number of banks.

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
You can also send funds via SWIFT. It'll go directly from your account to hers. She will have to have and account in Russia and provide you with the SWIFT routing numbers.
 SWIFT is cheaper IMO that WU's charges.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies
Don't know if she has a bank account, I doubt it. Would like to do the Western Union thing, but do not know the procedure - Western Union website is no help as to if she could pick up the money at any WU office or I have to designate a specific one. I doubt that she would understand what I was trying to do if I have to send to a specific office.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
It's been years since I used WU but IIRC you just need to name the city and full name of the person the funds will go to.
 Many stores here in Ak. will handle the transaction since I don't like to put information like my CC numbers ect on the internet. I'd rather do it in person and watch the CC being handled correctly.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »
Forgive me, but I don't know what IIRC is (??)

Offline AkMike

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
lmao,, Sorry. It means If I recall correctly.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
Would like to do the Western Union thing, but do not know the procedure - Western Union website is no help as to if she could pick up the money at any WU office or I have to designate a specific one. I doubt that she would understand what I was trying to do if I have to send to a specific office.

Many grocery stores in America have Western Union at their customer service desk. You can also Google WU locations in your area to find one close. WU is easy to use. Go to a place that offers it and fill out the paperwork. You will have an option to make the money instantly available or a few days later. Instant service cost more. Make sure you spell her full name correctly and list the city she's in. They will give you a 10 digit number that you will give to her to pick up the money. The lady you are sending the money too probably knows the WU locations in her city. She can pick up the money anywhere in the city. You don't have to specify a location. Most likely she will be picking the money up at a bank. She takes her identification and that 10 digit number with her to pick up the money.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU --There is a WU office in my local grocery store. My question is answered.
appreciate the help

Offline LAman

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU --There is a WU office in my local grocery store. My question is answered.
appreciate the help

Last year I sent money to Cheboksary but I used MoneyGram, it is much cheaper than Western Union. If you send from local affiliate/office and use cash, it is cheapest way to send money.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline bucbud

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
Thanks LAman I will look into Moneygram. I don't know where an office is here, but will look. Is it electronic transfer like WU? or do I need to mail it or what?? From past experience, years ago, I don't trust mail in Ukraine or Russia. Perhaps it has changed since 2006 but i doubt it.

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
Thanks LAman I will look into Moneygram. I don't know where an office is here, but will look. Is it electronic transfer like WU? or do I need to mail it or what?? From past experience, years ago, I don't trust mail in Ukraine or Russia. Perhaps it has changed since 2006 but i doubt it.
Do not trust the ail service anywhere. Our inlaws do no longer send post packages from Moscow since the last one went missing.
Funny thing is that on the day  Mother-in-law got the refundfor losing the package it was delivered to our home after 3 months.
We told her to keep the money ;)

As for your quest, if she has no bank account (which is getting less likely as even in Russia bank accounts are getting usual just like electronic payments), she might apply for an account with Skrill. It is relatively cheap to upload to and provides a debit card account. It is possible though expensive to withdraw cash. As they are Russia based, there are less hoops to go through with respect to international usage as a normal card like Visa would have.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline mhr7

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »

http://global.moneygram.com/
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
Moneygram is much less expensive that Western Union, especially as Western Union uses a service that stands between WU and Russian banks. That service skims off the amount she will receive, regardless of the fact that you already paid a fee to WU.

Moneygram is accepted at the better banks, and you can in some cases obtain a debit card with her name on it. I don't know all the particulars on the debit card, but I am very familiar with moneygram.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
Some of our members with spouses in the FSU might wish to look into the Amex "Serve" card. It is a prepaid debit card from American Express, and if credit scores are a concern, rest easy at it comes without the credit qualifications tied to most Amex accounts.

You can establish a Serve card in your name, then obtain one in her name--no USA Social security number required. Put money in, no fees to make deposits, and she can use the card as long as there is a balance inside, up to a $200 daily and $1k monthly limit. The biggest drawback is that Amex does not allow ATM/Bankomat withdrawals outside the USA. But, she can use it anywhere else an Amex card is welcome and that includes buying groceries at chain supermarkets, paying for her mobile phone monthly, purchasing clothing and other supplies at stores that display the Amex logo.

I have a "Serve" account that takes dollars earned from certain writing, broadcast and photo royalties. Those are deposited into the Amex Serve account, and we spent it for the things I mentioned above. Since I've already paid taxes on the earnings, it allows it to be spent without creating additional headaches for the folks responsible for navigating the tax treaties between the USA and Russia.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline bucbud

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »
Thanks guys, it took me two days to explain the Western Union thing. She has no idea she can take the number and an Id and get money. It was a frustrating two days, so even with the tariff I think I will stay with WU. That is if she can figure it out LOL. explained it over and over but she could not understand. "I have no bank card". "I do not have bank account" and so on.. (sigh) she still has not picked up the money, am waiting for an e-mail that she has it. It's like talking to a 6 year old. It's a long story, but I think she was like 12 when I first met her, and 21 now. How she found my email address I have no idea unless her parents kept it.. and for some reason I checked that e-mail address for the first time in like 10 months cause I don't use it anymore. Guess God was on her side on this one.
Thanks again for all your help.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
If this is going to be an on-going deal, I suggest that you start a separate account at you bank, in your name with only a debit card. You control how much money is in it! Get the card to her somehow.. Find someone going to St. Pete. and have them carry it personally maybe. DO NOT use the mail.. Fed-Ex, UPS, Meest ect. Then only after she has the card in hand send her the PIN number.
 Make sure that you tell the bank that it will be used in Russia or they'll shut it down quickly.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 11:10:41 PM »
Thanks guys, it took me two days to explain the Western Union thing. She has no idea she can take the number and an Id and get money. It was a frustrating two days, so even with the tariff I think I will stay with WU. That is if she can figure it out LOL.

Cut and paste the web link below to the next email you write to the lady and it will send her to the WU website in the Russian language. She can navigate the site on how to pick up money and even check if the money is available before picking it up.

http://www.westernunion.ru/WUCOMWEB/staticMid.do?method=load&countryCode=RU&languageCode=ru&pagename=HomePage
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
Bless you for that, I am going to wait until tues and see if she figured it out. If she can play the violin this shouldn't be too big a hurtle  LOL

Offline ML

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:45 PM »
. . . this shouldn't be too big a hurtle  LOL

I think you are wrong.  A hurtle is the highest level of hurdle because it must be done very quickly.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
ok you got me on the spelling LOL  Be advised, I also cannot type worth a crap!! Hunt and peck.

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Just don't do it with your pecker.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline bucbud

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
Ok at age 73 I will take your advice   :wallbash:

Offline The Natural

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 04:27:18 AM »
When sending money to Russia we use my bank account and do everything online. The receiver need a bank account with details and SWIFT, but this is easily done, at least in Moscow.

It cost around $ 8 in fees to my bank but none for the receiver IF they withdraw the money in roubles, but a fee if they withdraw it in Euros or dollars.

I tried recently to send money to MIL in Crimea but it was refused because of the sanctions. So I sent it instead to SIL in Moscow and MIL got it that way  :)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1892
Total: 1903

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM