It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Important New Law May Affect RWD Members  (Read 11378 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Important New Law May Affect RWD Members
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:18:51 PM »
The summary is that a new law will impose stiff penalites on anyone who uses the internet for purposes of "annoyance" or harassment.

Here is an article from c/net which addresses it -- http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?part=rss&tag=6022491&subj=news

Be advised - while there appear to be some serious flaws with the legislation, there are now penalties for behaviors that many have engaged in quite promiscuously in the past.

I advise that you do NOT dismiss this lightly. It directly addresses anyone posting under a pseudonym (a recent topic of the board), and who intentionally creates an annoyance. It also seems clear that the lawmakers INTENDED the law to be sufficiently broad that it takes in the realm of internet boards.

- Dan

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:33:12 PM »
Really.....

imbecilic lawmakers.. (
Yes I'm trying to annoy you!)  :D

Lets see.. What was the result of recent spam laws?.. More Spam!!!

so here goes:

Come 'n git me!

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:39:52 PM »
Ah yes, the lovely and talented US government. All laws and no justice.

I think I just got annoyed at my own post. Wonder if I can sue myself and win big money?:brightidea:

- not Ken but someone else hiding behind his username -
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »
Quote from: catzenmouse
Ah yes, the lovely and talented US government. All laws and no justice.

I think I just got annoyed at my own post. Wonder if I can sue myself and win big money?:brightidea:

- not Ken but someone else hiding behind his username -

Nope - you can't sue. This one is especially pernicious. It is NOT about lawsuits - it is about CRIMINALIZATION of the behaviors.

- Dan

Offline NDOC

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »
I guess we will have to adopt Congress' conventions for name-calling where "the honorable member" translates to "you flaming butt-nugget".  Do we have to start a list of banned words, phrases, and topics now?  If so, I vote to ban the words "Hillary" and "Rodham", I find these words are annoying and my Y chromosomes throb in pain whenever these words appear.

Offline NDOC

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »
Damn, did it to myself!...pain...racing through my body......must resist the urge to send donation check to Emily's List or remove my manhood...(urgh)....it takes a village.......must kill Monika Lewinski..........(gasp).

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 02:15:32 PM »
Quote from: NDOC
I guess we will have to adopt Congress' conventions for name-calling where "the honorable member" translates to "youflaming butt-nugget". Do we have to start a list ofbanned words, phrases, and topics now? If so, I vote to ban thewords "Hillary" and "Rodham",I find thesewordsare annoying andmy Y chromosomesthrob in pain whenever these words appear.

Actually, some interpretations of this monstrosity of a law suggest that "flaming butt-nugget" is perfectly fine to call someone - so long as you do NOT do it behind the veil of a facade or pseudonym. If you post the insult, and it is clear WHO is posting the insult - then it appears to be perfectly legal and protected by the Constitutional Amendment protecting free speech.

As I said earlier - the law is horribly-written, and incredibly convoluted - and perhaps, unenforcable. Right now, the equity of the law seems hinged on depending that prosecutorial discretion will win out. My experience with the legal system would indicate that anyone relying on prosecutorial discretion for ANYTHING, other than to receive a ration of shiitte, is a raving idiot.

But I'd best be careful with writing things like that, as it may "annoy" someone and I'd find myself facing dependence on prosecutorial discretion. But wait! I am posting as Dan - and everyone knows who Dan is - right??? So that means I should be OK and PD doesn't apply - right??

Aw crap - I have NO IDEA! :noidea:

- Dan

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
[size="4"][color="blue"]I am not surprised more flatulents out of our law makers, so what else is new.

Hum..... Does that mean I can file an offical complaint in federal court against ... for personal attacks? Ok I am being bad I would not wish that on anyone but then again.....
[/color]
[/size]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 04:50:00 PM by TigerPaws »

Offline Goombah

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »
Dan -

Only if you release full identification around your ID "Dan", perhaps by suppling a verifiable e-mail address and other contact information so that everyone who disagrees with you in the future can subscribe you to countless SPAM list.

Wonder how long before someone declares that annonymous use of the Internet should be illegal?

Stupid politicians...

Kevin

Offline al-c

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »
It has been said that nobody's life, liberty or property is safe while Congress is in session.  This pretty much proves it.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 09:32:52 PM »
Gee Dan, I saw this thread and thought for sure it would be talking about THIS new law:

[align=left]H.R. 3402[/align]
[align=left]Subtitle D--International Marriage Broker[/align]
[align=left]Regulation[/align]
[/font]
[align=left]SEC. 831. SHORT TITLE.[/align][/b]

[align=left]This subtitle may be cited as the ''International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005''.[/align]
[align=left]Which can be found in full here (scroll to page 107 and 1/2 way down page): http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:h3402enr.txt.pdf[/align]
[align=left]This one is gonna put a big squeeze on guys just starting out, as well as the agencies :shock:[/align]
[/font]
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:58:49 AM »
[color="#0000ff"][size="4"] The bottom line is this "law" is all  but unenforceable, sure it sounds good on paper but in the real world this "law"  is not worth the paper it is written on. Sure in theory someone in Kevin Hayes  position could be held responsible but in reality nothing will change except  people like Kevin (I am not picking on you Kevin you are just convenient) will  divest themselves of any direct contact with their off shore operations. If you  think the government of a foreign country will cooperate and waste their  time and resources assisting in an investigation by the U.S. justice department  for something which would be a violation of this ridiculous "law" then you are  sadly mistaken. [/size][/color] [color="#0000ff"][size="4"] Sure Kevin or even Jack Bragg might  get a call by some over zealous federal prosecutor but a well written letter by  a competent criminal defense attorney will put the matter to rest, no prosecutor  is going to spend more than a few minutes  dealing with this poorly written  "law". All this "law" will accomplish is forcing businesses to completely move  their operations off shore and their U.S. owners to isolate themselves for their  own protection.[/size][/color]

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »
Does this mean the Moderator must identify himself/herself?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
Does this mean the Moderator must identify himself/herself?

Only if they INTEND to ANNOY or HARASS other members.

So no, I do not think they must identify themselves.

- Dan

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
I wrote this on page 9 off the other closed thread

It is my belief that almost everyone in the US will someday have something negative on their records that can raise suspicion and prejudice. The laws are so numerous and restrictive that any marriage can be considered abusive. "Don't argue with your wife or you could be charged with emotional, verbal and psychological abuse."  

But you know what Bruno what is real the danger here with all this? People will start making up their own laws. If you can't win so why try to stay with in the law?

This one stated by Dan on this thread is just another example of the numerous and restrictive US laws that we will all have to contend with. My belief is that it's effect will be mostly a dampening of e-nnoyances by isolated examples of government enforcement using the Press to intimidate us. That's what happens every tax season. We hear news reports of IRS audits and penalties and people and insitutions caught.
After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community....The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided.... It does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.
Alexis De Tocqueville in Democracy in America (1840)

[align=justify]Maxx[/align]

Offline Charles

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »
I agree this law as written cannot be enforced except in the most egregious of cases -- it will either be declared unconstitutional since "annoying" is without definition or, at a minimum, will be applied extremely selectively.   It is important to realize that just enacting a law doesn't ever mean it will be enforced.   How would you like to work for the Justice Dept and prosecute e-mail "annoyers".   I doubt there will be a large budget devoted to this one.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »
Quote from: Charles
How would you like to work for the Justice Dept and prosecute e-mail "annoyers".

Where do I apply for the job??? Might be kind of fun :D

- Dan

Offline Charles

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:28 AM »
You would be an excellent candidate.    "The Poster Prosecutor"

Offline Warren

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
US NEW INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER ACT.

This was signed into law on 6 Jan. 2006, by Bush. It takes effect on 6 March. It is a type of "truth in lending" law, e.i. personal information.  It is no big deal; however, all international marriage broker agencies must comply. A FORM must be sent by the U.S. Man to the marriage agency and/or to his new foreign lady as follows:

PREVIOUS MARRIAGES:  1 marriage; divorced in 1979 (example)

ARE YOU MARRIED CURRENTLY: no

CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 18: son, 15 years old

CRIMINAL ARRESTS OR CONVICTIONS: no

DRUG OR ALCOHOL RELATED ARRESTS OR CONVICTIONS: no

PROSTITUTION-RLATED ARRESTS OR CONVICTIONS: no

ANY COURT ORDERS: no

Any foriegn lady from a marriage agency that does not comply will be denied a US finance visa. So, guys send your lady and to her marriage agency the above form filled in with your data.

Warren

Offline Warren

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
Tiger:  I see that you have misunerstood the basics of this new international marriage broker law that takes effect 6 March. It is a rather simple form to be submitted by the U.S. man to the broker agency and his new gal. It is enforceable to the extent that when a U.S. finance visa is applied for, the U.S. Embassy will check the list of marriage agencies that have complied. For those that do not, visa denied.

Warren

Offline Bruno

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
Quote from: Warren
Any foriegn lady from a marriage agency that does not comply will be denied a US finance visa.

So, the 15000 and more ladies from freepersonals.ru will be only for European men :P

Offline Warren

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »
Bruno:  No, you did not read the fine print "and the lady".  For the personals route, it is simply a matter of sending her a copy of the form filled out. The U.S. Embassy will certainly ask her during the interview if she has a copy of it.

Warren

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »
Quote from: Warren
Tiger: I see that you have misunerstood the basics of this new international marriage broker law that takes effect 6 March. It is arather simple form to be submitted by the U.S. man to the broker agency and his new gal. It is enforceable to the extent that when a U.S. finance visa is applied for, the U.S. Embassy will check the list of marriage agencies that have complied. For those that do not, visa denied.

Warren

Posted in the WRONG topic.

Go to this topic =>
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/forum7/1145.html

- Dan

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 04:25:11 PM »
Warren, it is my opinion that what you posted here is not quite all the information that will be required by the US Gov. I wish (and hope) it were. I think what you see here is the form that Elena's Models from Australia is passing on to it's American clients.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:05:31 PM »
I'm going to have to wholeheartedly agree with Jack on this one. Warren please follow the link I posted upthread and read the law as it is written and formulate your own interpretation rather than taking the word of someone the law does not effect at all. Elana is a great woman and all, but, she is not running a US based business, and is not a US citizen, so she can afford to be a little "sloppy" in her interpretation of the law. No so with Jack and the other US businessmen who participate here.
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1960
Total: 1969

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM