It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Camera Talk  (Read 6303 times)

Offline corp

More Camera Talk
« on: July 26, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »
Since we have several experienced "Camera guys" here I thought I might try to tap some of the collective knowledge.

I currently own a Fuji fine pix 5100. This camera works pretty good except for one thing, it is very difficult to take wide shots with it. It seems like when I take indoor pictures I am very limited on how much I can get in.
It seems as if some of the smaller body, typically x3 zoom can actually get a wider picture, maybe it is my imagination.

So I am thinking of buying a second camera just for this type setting; indoors or up close like in a restaurant or something. Also since my Fuji is on the bigger side, I would like to get something small that I can carry more easily.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions about certain models I should consider that would be very helpful. I would expect to spend around 2-3 hundred.

I tried to use a wide angle lens with my Fuji but it was really a waste of money since the W/A lens screws onto the shadow ring on my camera, it is so far away from the retractable lens it has very little effect.

Offline andrewfi

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
More Camera Talk
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 10:00:08 PM »
Corp, most compact digital cameras, like their film based versions do not have very wide angle lenses. Around 38mm, in film terms is normal. Your camera, a hybrid is more like a compact than slr in most respects and its shortest focal length (widest angle) is 37mm.

If you want true wide angle performance you need to consider a true digital slr, or a film based slr, that can accept interchangeable lenses.

But, it is not as simple as that...

Most of the time, when we take interior shots, we need to use flash to increase the light levels. The flashguns built into cameras have difficulty covering even the lens fitted as standard to most comapct cameras. (Take a look at the edges of the pictures you take, you will probably see that the edges are darker than the centre, to a greater or lesser degree at wide angle.) This problem does not go away with an SLR; the built in flash is every bit as crappy as that in your current camera and so you will need to find an external flash with a diffuser that allows you to work with a 28, or 24mm lens.

By now, with your slr, 28mm lens and flash with diffuser, you will have a bulky and expensive combination. As it is so bulky you will not take the camera with you and when you do, you will feel isolated from the event, concentrating on taking pictures.

As a very keen photographer (and, one-time, professional party photographer) I gave up my 35mm slr system, exchanging it for a Minolta APS slr and lens set and a small Fuji 40i digital camera. The latter has no zoom and, like most of its kind, a wimpy flash. With it, I take really great party pics, it does not get in the way and I use it A LOT! When I was doing party phtography for money this is what I used:http://photo.even.free.fr/Photos/_ColApp/APP1284a.jpg

Frankly, most pictures where the photographer has attempted to get the whole of a group into a picture, often whilst sitting at a table, are horrid and boring. Take pictures of small groups of two or three people, show the relationships and the smiles, get close, learn to take a picture without using the viewfinder, or preview screen and take lots of pictures. Your camera is ideal for this kind of thing - it is what Fuji designed it for.

BTW, if you look at what most good photographers of candid subjects use, you will find that they use, in one form or another, a compact camera.

This is what I use now:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 10:03:00 PM by andrewfin »

Offline Jim Nasium

More Camera Talk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:02:53 PM »
For a convenient carry-around I use the Konica Minolta DiMage X50:

• Incredibly compact and lightweight camera [/*]
  • Unique "folded" 2.8x 37 - 105 mm equivalent [/*]
  • Super Macro focusing as close as 2.4 inches [/*]
  • 5-megapixel imager for images up to 2560 x 1920 pixels [/*]
  • Motion video 320 x 240 w/audio at 15fps or 30fps [/*]
  • Up to 15-second audio notes can be attached to images [/*]
  • 2.0-inch TFT color LCD with anti-reflection coating [/*]
  • Continuous advance: approx 1.9 fps [/*]
  • UHS (Ultra High Speed) Continuous advance: approx. 11 fps with 1280 x 960 image size [/*]
  • Unique image pasting function for picture-in-a-picture montages [/*]
  • Date and time stamping on the image [/*]
  • Minolta's CxProcess II image processor [/*]
  • 12-bit A/D conversion provides a finer tonal gradation [/*]
  • Built in flash with Auto, Red-eye reduction, Fill, and Forced Off modes [/*]
  • Removable flash memory cards (SD or MMC type) [/*]
  • PictBridge and Epson PRINT Image Matching II compliant [/*]
  • Powered by one proprietary NP-700 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery [/*]
  • USB 2.0 Full-speed (aka USB 1.1) compatible [/*]
Worked very well on my recent trip to Kiev.

Paid $280 on eBay a few months back; can be purchased for less now I believe.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
More Camera Talk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 05:57:38 AM »
I'm sold on Canon.

Was a a Nikon man for 20 years, what cameras!

So when digital caught film quality in the past year to year and a half, it was time to go digital. Thought I was going to buy Nikon and after a lot of homework and using both Nikon and Canon digital cameras before I purchased, I went with the Canon 20D.

You can see the quality of some of the photos of you go to my website, www.firstdream.com    After you click to enter on the next page you will see a News Box. I think the third link down says something about recent women we saw in Ukraine and Russia. Look at some of those photos.

Offline corp

More Camera Talk
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 06:22:15 AM »
Damn Jack, I started looking at the pictures and soon forgot I was suppose to be looking for picture quality rather than leg quality.

Do you get many reluctant ladies (getting their pic taken?) on the street like that? Sometimes when I have taken randon pictures people turn away.

How is the camera for taking wider shots, after all this is the main feature that make me consider geting a second camera. (and size too)

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
More Camera Talk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 06:34:47 AM »
Those are some really good photos, Jack.  Your Cannon camera does a good job.

Unless a man knew something about the FSU, a person might think you had set out to take pictures of street walkers,  but that is the way young FSU women dress during the summer months.  It's a place full of eye candy, for sure.  Now getting one of those girls to marry is a horse of a different color, good luck on that.

Offline Albert

More Camera Talk
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 09:36:54 AM »
Corp, notice that most of the pics Jack took were off the ass.  That is a good way to make sure the gals do not get upset about having their pics taken!!  :-))

Offline Albert

More Camera Talk
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 09:48:22 AM »
Oh, back on the camera idea . . . I also have a Minolta DiMage miniature camera.  It is the small credit card size which slides nicely into shirt pocket or jeans pocket.  The quality of the pics don't seem up to snuff compared to my Cannon 35 mm, but it is sure a handy and light weight item to carry around.  I have a couple of 256 mb chips that I take with me.  Each will hold about 170 high resolution pictures or in excess of 1600 at lowest resolution.

When I get to a computer, I can plug the chips into a SD card reader and then into a USB slot, fire up a photo editing routine and mess around with the pics . . . crop, resize, etc.  Then I can e-mail the ones I want to, copy some onto CD and take to WalMart to print the ones I want, etc.  I think I have sworn off film altogether. 

I also bought a second battery and take the recharger with me which works on both 110 and 220 with just plug adapter needed.

Camera, two extra 256 mb chips (comes with 16 mb standard), extra battery, and card reader can be had for around $300 on several websites.

Offline corp

More Camera Talk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 10:28:48 AM »
Quote from: albert
Corp, notice that most of the pics Jack took were off the ass. That is a good way to make sure the gals do not get upset about having their pics taken!! :-))

YEah I noticed that Technic too;)

Of course my other limitation is I have a lady with me most of the time so, I don't think me taking pics of another girls ass is gonna win points
:D
However, I have got away with it a few times, but got caught once.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Camera Talk
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 10:47:22 AM »
Quote from: albert
Corp, notice that most of the pics Jack took were off the ass.  That is a good way to make sure the gals do not get upset about having their pics taken!!  :-))

damn.. I just had to peek.. gives a new meaning for ATM :)

Offline anono

More Camera Talk
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 12:36:22 PM »
dang. great pics. great quality too

Offline Photo Guy

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Camera Talk
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 09:40:47 AM »
Like Jack, Dan, and others, I saved up for a Canon 20D with
a 17-85mm removable lens.  (about 28mm -130mm in 35mm terms)

It is out of your price range, but I had to get a camera like this, because I 'needed' to look through the lens at the subject, and it has many features similar to a a SLR film camera. I grew up with SLR's.
I hate the shutter delay of cheaper cameras. You can test that out before you buy one, at a camera dealer.

Sorry, I'm not much of a help.  Doug
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 10:22:00 AM by Photo Guy »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
More Camera Talk
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 10:29:33 AM »
And how is Canon 20D good if want to short something moving in a "dark" ? Is it fast enough with autofocus?

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
More Camera Talk
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 10:31:10 AM »
I love my Canon Rebel...a little bulky but gives you professional shots you can even use on magazine covers...
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
More Camera Talk
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:43:49 AM »
Quote from: Jack
I think the third link down says something about recent women we saw in Ukraine and Russia. Look at some of those photos.
Damn Jack...thanks!  I was about to go to the gym to work out, but after looking at these pics, my heart is already pounding to about 160 beats per minute!  I think I will look some more and continue my workout! :)
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Photo Guy

More Camera Talk
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 10:53:32 AM »
Quote from: Elen
And how is Canon 20D good if want to short something moving in a "dark" ? Is it fast enough with autofocus?

I doubt you would find a better autofocus system. My lens has image stabilization. The camera's fastest ISO setting is 1600.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
More Camera Talk
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »
Well it's in theory Did you try to short somebody jumping at disco for example?

Offline Photo Guy

More Camera Talk
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
This photo was at very low light. 1/6th of a second. No flash used.

Elen, if you use the camera's built-in flash unit, you can easily get good photos in a disco. Otherwise you will get some blur at 1/6th of a second.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
More Camera Talk
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 11:21:21 AM »
Well any other pics of moving people in a dark made by Canon?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 11:21:00 AM by Elen »

Offline ConnerVT

More Camera Talk
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 11:53:22 AM »
[user=134]Photo Guy[/user] wrote:
Elen, if you use the camera's built-in flash unit, you can easily get good photos in a disco.
If you use a flash (or draw attention to your camera) in a Russian disco, you soon will be introduced to several large Russian men, who will insist you no longer have a camera.  Seems that people don't like to have their picture taken when they are out with their mistress... :?

Offline Photo Guy

More Camera Talk
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 11:59:54 AM »
It may be dangerous, but getting photos of those mistresses can be an additional source of income.  No, not something I would want to do.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
More Camera Talk
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »
Actually I need a digital camera for shorting at weddings, ther is no troubles with security but I though doubt built-in flash unit would solve problems with focusing at moving objects in a dark

Offline ConnerVT

More Camera Talk
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 12:04:03 PM »
Tell the newlywed couple to turn on the light.  It's more interesting that way... :P

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
More Camera Talk
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »
Nah! You understand nothing in this business:P To see someone else ( but not yourself of course) dancing in "drunk condition" is always more fun:D and paid well:P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 05:41:00 PM by Elen »

Offline corp

More Camera Talk
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 05:37:43 PM »
Quote from: ConnerVT
Elen, if you use the camera's built-in flash unit, you can easily get good photos in a disco.

If you use a flash (or draw attention to your camera) in a Russian disco, you soon will be introduced to several large Russian men, who will insist you no longer have a camera. Seems that people don't like to have their picture taken when they are out with their mistress... :?
[/quote]

You need not be in a disco, I got shut down by security in a McDonalds!
All I was doing was viewing pics already taken earlier.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541399
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701