It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Password Warning!  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
Password Warning!
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:51:37 PM »
If you've read the posts at this site, you'll see that many  of our experts state that not all MOB agencies are honest.

So should you trust them with your passwords?  NO!

All sites require that you provide a password when you sign in.  Even RWD does.  And guess what?  The webmaster KNOWS what password you used!  With Dan, at RWD, you have no worries.  

But with agency XYZ from Kiev, should you be concerned?  ONLY if you make the no brainer decision to not vary your password!

Ok, I'll admit it...  I signed up for one MOB agency and just from habit used the same password as I did on my hotmail email account.  The agency also had my hotmail email address.

Guess what?  Someone signed in and looked at my email!  The MOB agency?  I suspect so...

ADVICE-- never use the same password twice.  Don't ever repeat you bank password, you mobile phone account password, your Western Union password, or any password to another site.

If you have to write it down somewhere, write it down.

And if you are guilty, go everywhere you travel online and change your passwords...now :)

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Password Warning!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:24:27 PM »
Quote from: Michael
If you've read the posts at this site, you'll see that many  of our experts state that not all MOB agencies are honest.

So should you trust them with your passwords?  NO!

All sites require that you provide a password when you sign in.  Even RWD does.  And guess what?  The webmaster KNOWS what password you used!  With Dan, at RWD, you have no worries.  

But with agency XYZ from Kiev, should you be concerned?  ONLY if you make the no brainer decision to not vary your password!

Ok, I'll admit it...  I signed up for one MOB agency and just from habit used the same password as I did on my hotmail email account.  The agency also had my hotmail email address.

Guess what?  Someone signed in and looked at my email!  The MOB agency?  I suspect so...

ADVICE-- never use the same password twice.  Don't ever repeat you bank password, you mobile phone account password, your Western Union password, or any password to another site.

And if you are guilty, go everywhere you travel online and change your passwords...now :)

Michael,

Your advice is probably very good - BUT, just to be clear, the fact is that I do NOT know what any passwords are for RWD members.

Yes, I *do* have the ability to reset them if there is a problem - and I also have the ability to take over a members account - BUT, I do not receive, and have no way to access, any information that tells me what password a members used to create their account, or to sign onto the board with.

Just wanted people to know the facts here at RWD so they are no more paranoid than they ought to be :cool:

- Dan

Offline corncrowe

Password Warning!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
Quote from: Michael
If you've read the posts at this site, you'll see that many of our experts state that not all MOB agencies are honest.

So should you trust them with your passwords? NO!

All sites require that you provide a password when you sign in. Even RWD does. And guess what? The webmaster KNOWS what password you used! With Dan, at RWD, you have no worries.

But with agency XYZ from Kiev, should you be concerned? ONLY if you make the no brainer decision to not vary your password!

Ok, I'll admit it... I signed up for one MOB agency and just from habit used the same password as I did on my hotmail email account. The agency also had my hotmail email address.

Guess what? Someone signed in and looked at my email! The MOB agency? I suspect so...

ADVICE-- never use the same password twice. Don't ever repeat you bank password, you mobile phone account password, your Western Union password, or any password to another site.

[b2600] Hacking for pleasure

Join the club...if you can...

I used to hack for a living, and was paid by fortune 50 companys to expose their systems.  It's a professional position called EDP Auditing... 

Chump change.  I remember .... oops ... can't tell that story on a public forum.

Boys, many little dll's exists which can hide and capture any information on a desktop.  Just practice safe browsing like you would sex.  Don't be alarmed by the "chicken little" syndrome. 

Be smart with all confidential information.  Check out the many sites which offer good advice for password security.  One of the oldest tricks we used to do is look under someones keyboard for their password "because they wrote it down".

Passwords should be a combination of letters and numbers.  Mix them up so they mean something to you, but are not common to others.  Never use your ssn, birth date, marriage date, etc. 

I can tell you nothing is safe in cyberspace.  If you're really worried about your bank account then do what I did.  Open many.  Transfer funds from one which you never disclose to the account most commonly used for internet purchases.  Use another account for credit card "debit card" transactions.  They can be ambiguious to your primary account.  This affords the most transparant security available without losing many nights sleep over nothing.

Make reduncancies with all accounts.  Never have just one internet account.  Never use one account for all online activities.  Never give your real name to an agency. 

I could go on for hours about just common sense practices.  Again, it's like sex.  Change your rubber often and always give a false name....

Jon

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 05:36:00 PM by corncrowe »

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
Password Warning!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:02:40 PM »
Quote from: Dan
And guess what?  The webmaster KNOWS what password you used!  With Dan, at RWD, you have no worries.

Michael,

Your advice is probably very good - BUT, just to be clear, the fact is that I do NOT know what any passwords are for RWD members.

Yes, I *do* have the ability to reset them if there is a problem - and I also have the ability to take over a members account - BUT, I do not receive, and have no way to access, any information that tells me what password a members used to create their account, or to sign onto the board with.

Just wanted people to know the facts here at RWD so they are no more paranoid than they ought to be :cool:

- Dan[/quote]Thanks, Dan...I did not mean to draw you into the discussion and I stand corrected.  But my point is that the software usually holds password info.  For example, I taught a distance education univeristy course and with that program that is used by hundreds of universities throughout the US, I was able to look at profiles and see individual passwords...

So, it makes sense to never use the same password more than once...
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Password Warning!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:10:30 PM »
Dan, lets say that you do not WANT to know the passwords used. The person who installs the software and has access to the database could always retrieve password, even though they will be encrypted. However I think your integrity will be high enough not to use such things.

However difficult it may be to use many different passwords, it is necessary to have at least different ones for 'secure' and 'less secure' sites. Using the same password for e-mail and dating agencies is not a wise thing to do. However using the same password for all agencies might not be a big prolbem. In the worst case you will find that the letters the agencies wrote them selves were replied to in your name by another dubious agency. :D
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
Password Warning!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 05:07:07 AM »
Quote from: Shadow
Dan, lets say that you do not WANT to know the passwords used. The person who installs the software and has access to the database could always retrieve password, even though they will be encrypted. However I think your integrity will be high enough not to use such things.

However difficult it may be to use many different passwords, it is necessary to have at least different ones for 'secure' and 'less secure' sites. Using the same password for e-mail and dating agencies is not a wise thing to do. However using the same password for all agencies might not be a big prolbem. In the worst case you will find that the letters the agencies wrote them selves were replied to in your name by another dubious agency. :D

Yeah - I thought about it after posting and realized that it might be possible for my hosting service to track/capture that kind of information.

Still, like you say - it is probably a good idea to use different, and more secure, passwords on various sites so that IF they are stolen, you don't run the risk of someone using your BBS password on your bank account.

Anyway, so that RWD members are not concerned - I have no interest (and no knowledge) of gathering password details.

FWIW

- Dan

Offline Bruno

Password Warning!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 08:33:48 AM »
Quote from: Dan
Yeah - I thought about it after posting and realized that it might be possible for my hosting service to track/capture that kind of information.

Still, like you say - it is probably a good idea to use different, and more secure, passwords on various sites so that IF they are stolen, you don't run the risk of someone using your BBS password on your bank account.

Anyway, so that RWD members are not concerned - I have no interest (and no knowledge) of gathering password details.

FWIW

- Dan

Dan, the problem can come from outside... one versionof forum very used have show some security hole ( phpbb )... some trojan can infect the forum with these software and have the full right... so, post can be changed, file with password download,...

Never under estimate the bad people from outside... it is always possible that these software have some security hole not already documented and corrected... so, RWD members of not change nothing... problem can always appear...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2249
Total: 2259

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM