It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 305657 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
GQ asked me about the weather in Georgia. I am specifically finding out about the weather in Batumi by living it.

First...39 degree celcius and raining?!? Holy Georgian Mollies! Did I read that right? That's almost like back in the the islands...

Secondly...

[/size]Yes, it is odd. In the patio in the back of the gym I go to, the owner and other patrons of the gym sit and smoke, drink coffee and visit with each other. They don't seem to worry about looking odd doing unhealthy things while doing healthy things. People here are more tolerant of things like smoking and drinking. Of course the life expectancy in Georgia is 74 years to the US's 78 years and in the really wound tight country of Japan it is 84 years. Of course their diet of fish and rice is really different than the Georgian diet of bread, cheese and more bread.[/size]

LMAO! Those times never bothered me either from my crazy days lone gone...I gave up smoking the very day I got married as a token promise and respect to my wife and marriage.

But before that, I enjoyed smoking. Smoked before and after running San Francisco marathon. I remember being anxious prior to the race and had to burn one down before getting to Golden gate park. Then at mile 20, all I can think of was chilling in the hotel bathtub with a cigarette.

For years, I'd play pick-up (3on3) BBall all day long at our local park. We'd usually hold court, and in between games I'd be burning one down. Never bothered me though I'm sure it tore my lungs up.

Sta. Monica originated the no smoking in restaurant rule, and we were all up in arms before it became law. When it did, I actually liked it, not just because the room smelled so much better void of 'smell', but also because the designated smoking areas outside the restaurant became a cool place to chat and hook up with some cuties. That 'after sex' cigarettes used to so awesome!

Now my wife and I couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes. Even the smell eminating from anyone who had recently smoked. Yuck! You'd hardly see anyone in SoCal (native) who smoke these days. Most of the ones who do are mainly 'tourist'.

Thanks for the update Maxx!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
It's 39  Fahrenheit

Offline Maxx2

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
11:36 PM as I start write this. 11 hours ahead of the clock at the top of the page. 47 F right now. My fancy apartment doesn't have heat. I'll probably have to buy a heater.

I was looking down the beach today during a clear time cloud wise. I noticed some snow covered mountains going South-West out along the Black Sea. They must be in Turkey. It sure is not far away. I am about where the blue dot is on the map

Turkey is the green part of the map. I should drive down there sometime and check it out.

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
The receipt says broccoli, but the photo is definitely 2 1/2 brussel sprouts, sitting on top of a bed of cooked cornmeal.  The cornmeal could be a local dish, elarji, which is made with sulguni cheese.

Us philistines South of the Canukian  border just call them grits,  we only use the word  polenta at fancy places where you can't wear bib overalls.

At the moment I'm up north in Canukian lands though, eh.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
Maxx, thanks for continuing to share your story and photos ,its very cool.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
we only use the word polenta at fancy places where you can't wear bib overalls.
Maybe in the Americas, but here it was a staple food in our mountain areas, cooked for hours in a copper pot and put on the table on a large wooden cutting board for the whole family to share.

Its continued consumption by poorer families could provoke pellagra, with the growth of neck abscesses and diminution of mental faculties - Polentone was an insult meaning a slow-witted and slow-moving person.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:23:10 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
Maybe in the Americas, but here it was a staple food in our mountain areas, cooked for hours in a copper pot and  put on the table on a large wooden cutting board for the whole family to share.

Its continued consumption by poorer families could provoke pellagra, with the growth of neck abscesses and diminution of mental faculties - Polentone was an insult meaning a slow-witted and slow-moving person.

I had this plus the chicken breast and brussels sprouts for lunch. This time I noticed it had a slight corn flavor to it.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
I had this plus the chicken breast and brussels sprouts for lunch. This time I noticed it had a slight corn flavor to it.
Here polenta is made with corn flour.  Nowadays its rather bland flavour is enhanced by mixing some cheese into it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:27:12 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
The receipt says "POLENTA" so it is cornmeal.

Offline ML

« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
Polentone was an insult meaning a slow-witted and slow-moving person.

And here I thought that when local Italians called me that . . . it was just a nickname for someone they were fond of !!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2017, 03:14:01 PM »
Maybe in the Americas, but here it was a staple food in our mountain areas, cooked for hours in a copper pot and put on the table on a large wooden cutting board for the whole family to share.

So it's the grits that make us southerners a tad *slow*

:)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2017, 12:16:37 AM »

First...39 degree celcius and raining?!? Holy Georgian Mollies! Did I read that right? That's almost like back in the the islands...

Yep Batman, you read that wrong. It was 39 F not C. Right now it is 56 F with a high today of 65 F. Coming from Minnesota I find this weather very comfortable, even in the thirties. Yesterday I went to the gym. It was my 11th workout in 24 days. I parked down street a ways and noticed 3 lemon trees heavy with fruit. I'd say about 100 gallons of potential lemonade. Then I glance up and see the mountains with snow on top. There are palm trees and pomegranate trees growing everywhere here. 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:20:58 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Yeah, I'd say a huge difference in the weather maxx. Allows you a lot more activities to keep you busy even in this time of the year. It's great you hit the gym as often as you do. I do about an hour of tai chi in the mornings for about a few years now. Awesome way to keep the body toned and the mind relaxed.

Your winter weather sounds a lot like SoCal.

Maxx, in the picture you posted, what the heck is that coming out of the white tower in the background? It looks like a group of bees caught flying by as the picture was taken.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Maxx, in the picture you posted, what the heck is that coming out of the white tower in the background? It looks like a group of bees caught flying by as the picture was taken.

GQ, that is a ferris wheel built into and along side a building. Batumi is best described as a whimsical place. You see odd things everywhere. I think it is a reflection of the former president Mikhail Saakachvili's sense of humor. I was told he used to fly over the city in his helicopter to see the progress of the building of the city. If he noticed progress had bogged down he would personally find out why, kick some butt and clear the jam.   

Playground for big kids and lovers, titillating fountains and love statues that slowly move through each other. 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:22:04 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

Yep Batman, you read that wrong. It was 39 F not C. Right now it is 56 F with a high today of 65 F. Coming from Minnesota I find this weather very comfortable, even in the thirties. Yesterday I went to the gym. It was my 11th workout in 24 days. I parked down street a ways and noticed 3 lemon trees heavy with fruit. I'd say about 100 gallons of potential lemonade. Then I glance up and see the mountains with snow on top. There are palm trees and pomegranate trees growing everywhere here. 

I'm just up the coast from Maxx, in Sochi - the weather has been glorious - sun and 18C - that's about the 65F?  SC is packing n every moment left on the beach and even swimming .... ?! Cooler in the evenings and snow visible on the towering mountains that form a backdrop and provide our sub-tropical micro-climate.

Do Georgians have a 'thing' for Saunas / Banyas, Maxx ....   ?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
[quote author=msmob link=topic=22265.msg472265#msg472265 date=15123580

Do Georgians have a 'thing' for Saunas / Banyas, Maxx ....   ?

Yes, it is one of their things. I've seen some youtubes of people in wooden huts with benches and steam. Then there is their famous warm sulfur baths of Tbilisi, the reason that city was founded in the 5th century. An area west of Tbilisi called Barjomi is famous for it's drinking and bathing water. It is supposed to have curative effects and the reason the Czar had a summer home built there. The Barjomi region is so beautiful! It reminds me driving through a river valley in the Rocky Mountains.

Here is a video Mamuka and the receptionist at the first hotel I stayed at. Mamuka is trying to tell me the sulfur bath cured him of something or another.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:08:26 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2017, 12:13:49 AM »

Here is a couple of youtubes of attractive women with GoPros and their walking stick.

The first one of a couple of women talking Russian that look like they are from the Stans. They are walking right near where my room is at. I see my hotel over her left shoulder. It is the white building with all the curves. 

The second video is of some Slavic girls to be sure. The first minute shows some interesting places to see near Batumi. If anybody knows the name of the cave and the place where the dinosaur tracks are please tell me OK?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2017, 12:44:22 AM »

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:46:51 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »
A merry-go-round :o?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »

Ahhh, that explains it! Sort of like Vegas' Stratosphere. Cool!

Offline ML

« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
The stupidity people will subject themselves to . . . to get accidentally killed.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
The stupidity people will subject themselves to . . . to get accidentally killed.

You've been a bit of a grump lately ML.

The city is full of weird stuff. You should see some of the graffiti.

Then along comes a statue of dignity and honor...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:44:14 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

Along the promenade as people walk by. I thinking they were cooking up something to smoke...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:57:08 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »

I remember GQ you were a Joe Cocker fan or was that ZZ top?

Ukraine's Got Talent

Georgia's Gocha

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:08:55 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Love BIG Joe -she came in through the bathroom window Cocker, maxx. And of course always liked the guitar riffs and tune on ZZ's Bad to the Bone. Always sounds better on Les Paul.

But Georgia's Gocha rocks! A bit flat on some of those verses, but nothing that a good signing coach can't improve. I would've love to have heard him sing 15-20 years ago. I hope good things came his way after this show. He's very entertaining though he needs a more stage command to compliment his obvious talent.

Some of the concerts we go to every year showcases a lot of old timers. Believe it or not from as old as Kansas/Robin Trower to Gin Blossoms/Guns & Roses. Those guys are, to borrow a phrase from Steely Dan, reeling in the years, man!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541296
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3297
Most Online Ever: 12701