It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 304339 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
I know a woman there that visited me here in Georgia in September. We are not romantically involved, just friends.

I have never heard of such a thing !!
Should you turn in your 'Man Card?'  :-)
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
I have never heard of such a thing !!
Should you turn in your 'Man Card?'  :-)

Nope, just not suited for each other.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
I bought my round trip tickets the other day for Lviv.  $414  Not a great price I was told. I fly from Batumi on January 7 to Minsk for a 8 hour lay over and then the flight to Lviv. My woman friend and her one son will pick me up at the airport and go from there. I might stay with her or with her son or get a Airbnb place. Like Jumper said in the 'January in Kiev' thread try to not over think things. I am in quite a bit of different circumstances than the OP on that thread. I have a lot more time, I am already over here (much  cheaper to travel) and I am not on a wife hunt. I return to Batumi February 3. I have this place booked till May 1st except 3 days in late February and 9 days in mid-March. Then I have to move to an apartment 3 floors down that I have stayed at before. Just load up my things on to a luggage cart the hotel has. Ten steps to the elevator. Up or down from floors 15 to 12 or 12 to 15 and then ten more steps to the door.

I've been invited to visit an English class put on by an American Christian group. They are interested in meeting me, particularly one Ukrainian woman I am told. I think my being a former Jehovah's Witness and now an expat would be interesting for them. When I left the JWs in 1996 I drifted towards an Evangelical church that I liked. But I haven't step foot into a church for 15 years not counting all the monasteries here. Just got out of the habit of 'Sunday go to meeting.'   

Offline elliott

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
One of first things you notice upon arrival to Georgia is the street dogs and cats. They are everywhere...

I noticed the same in Russia. I spent a month in Krasnodar last summer and saw stray dogs and cats everywhere. Some did not look well. I stayed at the local university and it was overrun with strays. Most were well mannered, some were a bit skittish, but I just couldn't believe how many there were.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill together.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

I noticed the same in Russia. I spent a month in Krasnodar last summer and saw stray dogs and cats everywhere. Some did not look well. I stayed at the local university and it was overrun with strays. Most were well mannered, some were a bit skittish, but I just couldn't believe how many there were.

Where I live they try to round up strays, vaccinate, neuter/spay them, pop a tag in their ear and then release them onto the streets again. 
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »

In the case of the cats, they aren't - generally considered to be a nuisance - in the warmer months, especially - as they control rodents.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
Maxx, what a wonderful read....and great photos!
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »
THANKS Mendeleyev. I am in the Minsk airport waiting for my connecting flight to Lviv. I should be in Ukraine (My first time) in about 6 hours. Long layover here in Belarus, 5 hours 55 minutes. My internet signal is courtesy of Burger King.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2018, 10:18:48 PM »
One of first things you notice upon arrival to Georgia is the street dogs and cats. They are everywhere, big cities, small cities, out in the country, walking along the road through the Tbilisi forest. Often times in packs but never aggressive.

Three homeless dogs at the Batumi airport front door. I walk in and the littlest one decides he doesn't like me and actually takes a measure nip to my ankle. It was like he knew better not to bite me just nip at my heels. I think what I did wrong was I talked to them. Most people ignore them even when they are feeding them.

BTW the Batumi airport is so small there is only one gate. It is one of those walk out into the runway and climb the stairs to enter the plane places. Fine aircraft. I sat next to cute 18 year old Georgian muslim girl. She was a freshman from the University of Saint Petersburg home on the holidays. We chatted most of the trip. She has my e-mail address so she can contact me to get my VK. Of course I don't hit on kids young enough to be my granddaughter.

Offline msmob

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2018, 02:54:33 AM »
Hi Maxx,

by now you should be in Ukraine

Hope it's not too cold for you ...)

How was Minsk airport ? Did you 'walk in' after landing , go through passport control ?

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:35 AM »
In the case of the cats, they aren't - generally considered to be a nuisance - in the warmer months, especially - as they control rodents.
IINM, the Hermitage cellars have a large resident population of cats, probably for the same purpose.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2018, 04:57:46 AM »
I just arrived but I have to leave the airport now so I'll catch you later. I am wearing my Minnesota parka.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
IINM, the Hermitage cellars have a large resident population of cats, probably for the same purpose.

That is the case. In fact the Hermitage cats are well fed, live in a heated basement, have a full time care staff, including a Vet. They are given free reign of the massive museum area at night and do a masterful job at controlling rodents.

Once each year the Hermitage hosts an adoption weekend in which "excess" or "retired" cats are adopted out to families who have gone through an application process. It is considered a status symbol to have a former "Hermitage cat" living in your home.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Lord of the Dance

« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
That is the case. In fact the Hermitage cats are well fed, live in a heated basement, have a full time care staff, including a Vet. They are given free reign of the massive museum area at night and do a masterful job at controlling rodents.

Once each year the Hermitage hosts an adoption weekend in which "excess" or "retired" cats are adopted out to families who have gone through an application process. It is considered a status symbol to have a former "Hermitage cat" living in your home.

What a fascinating bit of trivia.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »

8:03 AM and I got a goodnight's rest from a long, long day(s) of hectic activity. Actually I slept 15 hours, a record for me. The sun's up but behind an overcast of clouds. I seen nothing but overcast in every direction from my 1 hour 15 minute flight from Minsk.

I am staying at my woman friend's apartment in the old downtown. It is one of those 4 story apartment buildings with the classic stone fronts. So it is up four flights of stairs. I have no idea exactly what I will do today. I know tomorrow there is a woman at a English class sponsored by an Evangelical church who wants to see me. Exactly what for I don't know. She had heard of me through my woman friend who does English studies there. So we'll see what that is about. Also I will try and get an Airbnb apartment soon which will give me more privacy.

So to be clear. My mission is not to find a woman. If the right one came along that would be great. I just checking this place out and seeing what is what.

BTW I can't log on to my VK account. The rumors that the Ukrainian government blocked it because it is Russian owned and operated might be true.

Offline JayH

« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2018, 02:35:28 AM »
No rumour on VK --it is a fact.
Do not undersestimate how Ukrainians feel about Putin & Russia.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »

Yes, many are angry and use a VPN to use the services and contact family / friends in Russia

Maxx, if you visit my-private-network.co.uk ..You can get a UK IP and use VK

Offline alex330

« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:13 AM »

Yes, has been that way for a while. Ukes are moving over to Facebook.

You don't see the red screen when you navigate to the URL informing you the government is blocking it Max? It says something about a presidential decree, blah blah blah.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »

You don't see the red screen when you navigate to the URL informing you the government is blocking it Max? It says something about a presidential decree, blah blah blah.

I don't give it enough time to load.

Offline Lord of the Dance

« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »

I don't give it enough time to load.

Maxx (or anyone in Ukraine), if you have an opportunity, could you grab a screenshot of the red screen and post it here? Curious to read it in full.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmob

« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
I'm interested, too - so I'll make a Ukraine VPN and try and access VK, etc., :)))

Visited Dnipropetrovs'k and had a poke around  - blocked on VK.com. OK.ru, yandex and 1S (1C accounting prog)

Then remembered - ( Duh) cannot run a VPN on top of another one - well not for long - so couldn't test the British  VPN ... but as I CAN visit all those sites from my PC in Britain ..I know it'll work

www.my-private-network.co.uk

They do free British connections - not fast but will allow one to visit RU sites

Maxx - Lviv is may be not the best city to ask for help - but there are LOADS of bezplatno ( free ) Russian VPNs..but  then if you have a Russian IP address - you can't visit Linkedin - banned in Russia )))

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:20:02 PM by msmob »

Offline alex330

« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
Here you go.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2018, 02:32:11 PM »

BUT - not all Ukraine is banned, just some networks it seems, I had about 30 different UA proxy to test and most of them worked but still shows me as in Ukraine.

EDIT: Use a browser called Epic Browser http://www.epicbrowser.com/ and you have built in VPN's that you can turn on and off depending on where to use it :) works like a charm.. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:34:14 PM by Nightwish »
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline msmob

« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »
Here you go.

ANYONE can grab an image from a google search .... I saw the same image..  I prefer to check for real ;)

Offline msmob

« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
Hey thanks, Nighthawk ..trying now - having checked ..gets good reviews from a trusted source:)

http://uk.pcmag.com/epic-privacy-browser/178/review/epic-privacy-browser
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:38:46 PM by msmob »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541274
Total Topics: 20859