It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Sending money from Russia to USA  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Omega82

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Sending money from Russia to USA
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:01:55 AM »
A female friend of mine in Russia will send me $150 which she owes me.  She was between jobs and I let her borrow it.  This woman and I are and have always been strictly friends.  She was also an excellent tour guide and saved me a lot of taxi money since she knows how to take the metro and trains.  Her help has been extremely valuable.  I imagine she will send it via Western Union.  Does anyone know if there are any issues with this due to the sanctions against Russia?  Also, dealing with western union has been a rather unpleasant experience.  any ideas? 

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Re: Sending money from Russia to USA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:48:40 AM »
MoneyGram, PayPal ...the latter has a USD facility.

One of you will lose in the exchange rate process.(

Much easier to get money into Russia than get it out...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:14:20 AM by msmob »

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:25:25 AM »
A female friend of mine in Russia will send me $150 which she owes me.  She was between jobs and I let her borrow it.  This woman and I are and have always been strictly friends.  She was also an excellent tour guide and saved me a lot of taxi money since she knows how to take the metro and trains.  Her help has been extremely valuable.  I imagine she will send it via Western Union.  Does anyone know if there are any issues with this due to the sanctions against Russia?  Also, dealing with western union has been a rather unpleasant experience.  any ideas?

If you must, I suggest using Xoom.

If I were you, and she is and had done what you told us, $150.00 is hardly an amount between friends during dire times, and certainly not an amount to be classified as a debt. I’d tell her keep the money and maybe next time I’m in Russia, she can buy me dinner or a beer.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:47:14 AM »

If I were you, and she is and had done what you told us, $150.00 is hardly an amount between friends during dire times, and certainly not an amount to be classified as a debt. I’d tell her keep the money and maybe next time I’m in Russia, she can buy me dinner or a beer.

I agree.
$150 is not worth the hassles involved.
On the other hand, if you two were in same city and money could merely be handed across the table . . .
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
Whist I share the sentiment of the above posters - IF you are not going to see her then sending $150 by paypal is cheaper (c.$2 ver $5.99)  than using xoom ...  and with the latter you'll have to drive to collect the cash ..

SOME of us actually offer advice on stuff they ( actually)  do ...

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 10:51:54 AM »
dewd, I use paypal ALL THE TIME with Russians.....
no problems at all, low fee
easy peasy
you have a credit card, they have a credit card
money goes from one to the other like "snap"
word...

Offline Omega82

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
I agree.
$150 is not worth the hassles involved.
On the other hand, if you two were in same city and money could merely be handed across the table . . .

I sent her $800.  The $150 she is returning is the first installment.  From what ive read online it seems the sanctions are mainly against certain individuals or entities that have been blacklisted.  But it seems for all other purposes we still do business with Russia. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 03:04:35 AM »
As log as you understand getting out money from Russia will involve losing out in the exchange  much more than other currencies - then you're correct )

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 08:13:59 AM »

I sent her $800.  The $150 she is returning is the first installment.  From what ive read online it seems the sanctions are mainly against certain individuals or entities that have been blacklisted.  But it seems for all other purposes we still do business with Russia.

This is interesting, and mind you, not making judgment of you Omega82.

Even at that amount, I just assume that *my* friend either 'save' the money until he/she get the full amount if he/she wants to return the money back to me, or, I normally wouldn't expect it getting returned as I likely took the position I simply helped out friend in need. I depart with larger sums in a year's time than that over charities and assistance with people and organizations that are otherwise strangers to me.

Assuming of course this person is a friend as described above. One of the dividing thing to happen between personal relationships (whether family or friends) is money. If I decided to help a friend, or even a family, because they are in need of help - I give the money (within my means) as an assistance and not as a loan. Money have a way to expose people's depth of character and integrity.

We've laid witness to this fact here on this board not too long ago, even for a ridiculously paltry sum of less than $10.00.

That's just me...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:55:45 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »
'Me', just cannot help himself from posting on subjects he knows nothing about .. from sending dosh OUT of Russia  - to other events he wasn't present ..

I thought the deal was that this subject got dropped ?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:33:57 PM by msmob »

Offline Omega82

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 07:22:36 PM »
This is interesting, and mind you, not making judgment of you Omega82.

Even at that amount, I just assume that *my* friend either 'save' the money until he/she get the full amount if he/she wants to return the money back to me, or, I normally wouldn't expect it getting returned as I likely took the position I simply helped out friend in need. I depart with larger sums in a year's time than that over charities and assistance with people and organizations that are otherwise strangers to me.

Assuming of course this person is a friend as described above. One of the dividing thing to happen between personal relationships (whether family or friends) is money. If I decided to help a friend, or even a family, because they are in need of help - I give the money (within my means) as an assistance and not as a loan. Money have a way to expose people's depth of character and integrity.

We've laid witness to this fact here on this board not too long ago, even for a ridiculously paltry sum of less than $10.00.

That's just me...

Maybe you make that amount in one day, other people make that in one week. 

I dont usually give away $800.  If I would I would never be able to retire.  I have a co worker whose family was comfortable (father had a shoe factory back in the day).  Now he's 70 still working, no savings, no retirement in sight.  He blew it all on parties and women. 

Offline jone

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »
Hey.  The US still pays Russia for rides to the Space Station.  I wonder if they pay using Western Union?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541585
Total Topics: 20870
Most Online Today: 2854
Most Online Ever: 12701