It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ever wanted to Curse in Ruskiy?  (Read 5931 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Ever wanted to Curse in Ruskiy?
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:00:54 PM »
********Warning not for everyone, people easily offended should continue on to another thread***********
********Warning not for everyone, people easily offended should continue on to another thread***********

Ok, in addition to the above warning if you go to this site (I mention below) you will see advertisements to adult personals with bare nekkid ladies in them. If the site of this would later make you feel uneasy in any way or worse
yet make you feel somehow hostile to me then PLEASE don't visit this site listed below.

Did I put enough disclaimers in? No doubt someone will still get offended.

If you want to learn how to say real Russian swearing words and phrases you can go to this site below.

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/russian.htm

Take care,

Bill

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Taz

• Carpe diem...before it seizes you!
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Ever wanted to Curse in Ruskiy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »
You have to be careful with the site listed by Bill. It is a known haven for spyware so hopefully you have anti-spyware software enabled when you go there.
Take time to learn the language. Even a little can go a long ways...

Get off your butt and go! Don't make excuses why you can't do it, find a way to make it work! Always go with a backup plan too!!!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:23 AM »
You have to be careful with the site listed by Bill. It is a known haven for spyware so hopefully you have anti-spyware software enabled when you go there.

I didn't know this.

I will run Spybot now

Thanks,

Bill
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Christian

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:44:11 AM »

Ok, in addition to the above warning if you go to this site (I mention below) you will see advertisements to adult personals with bare nekkid ladies in them. If the site of this would later make you feel uneasy in any way or worse
yet make you feel somehow hostile to me then PLEASE don't visit this site listed below.

Did I put enough disclaimers in? No doubt someone will still get offended.

If you want to learn how to say real Russian swearing words and phrases you can go to this site below.

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/russian.htm

Take care,

Bill

You forgot the disclaimer that one might have to fight or even die due to having such knowledge.

Christian
Ибо [только] Я знаю намерения, какие имею о вас, говорит Господь, намерения во благо, а не на зло, чтобы дать вам будущность и надежду. 
И воззовете ко Мне, и пойдете и помолитесь Мне, и Я услышу вас; 
и взыщете Меня и найдете, если взыщете Меня всем сердцем вашим.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:00:44 AM »
For those who don't like having to scrub their computer clean, there's also a book called Dermo! available at Borders, Amazon, an Barnes & Noble entirely dedicated to curse words, slurs, and insults. Liliya took my copy away from me early on  :-\
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
you will see advertisements to adult personals with bare nekkid ladies in them.
Bill, the ads are from Adult Friend Finder, and should be from girls closest to where you live.

In my case, the display shows 6, all from Senago (pop. 19,689), some 20 km NW of Milan, which I did not know was such a hotbed of sex-starved women, must pay a visit, one of these days ;).

Or maybe the're blowing their horn to fill that empty basket 8) ;D.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:51:34 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Teddy KGB

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
You know.. I have always wanted to know... If you have ever seen the movie 'Rounders' when Mike McDermott (played by Matt Damon) beats Teddy KGB (John Malkovich) towards the end of the movie... he screams out something like 'volumet' in his fake broken Russian. What's that mean??
All night... its check, check, check!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »
I know Christian is going to take offense to this but I have read a couple dozen of his posts and have decided that he simply follows the beat of a different drummer (Imagine a snare drum falling down the up escalator)

Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Christian

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
I know Christian is going to take offense to this but I have read a couple dozen of his posts and have decided that he simply follows the beat of a different drummer (Imagine a snare drum falling down the up escalator)

Just my two kopecks,

Bill

Au contraire, I too was lost in sin.  I too though childish humor was cool.  But I do now follow the beat of a different drummer (not the piede piper or other aberrant losers and fantasy spiners), but Jesus - God incarnate.

Man could I tell you some stories...of which I am now ashamed.

Not just my two kopecks but my whole kit and kabutal.

Christian
Ибо [только] Я знаю намерения, какие имею о вас, говорит Господь, намерения во благо, а не на зло, чтобы дать вам будущность и надежду. 
И воззовете ко Мне, и пойдете и помолитесь Мне, и Я услышу вас; 
и взыщете Меня и найдете, если взыщете Меня всем сердцем вашим.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
For those who don't like having to scrub their computer clean, there's also a book called Dermo! available at Borders, Amazon, an Barnes & Noble entirely dedicated to curse words, slurs, and insults. Liliya took my copy away from me early on  :-\

Yeah the Title of the Book is "Dermo the Russian Tolstoy Never Used"
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:39:56 AM »
With all those disclaimers I thought Albert was posting again.  :o

Offline Lit_1nce

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
Uh-oh...
I have no Spybot, antivirus, or firewall installed...
but then, I don't have Windows installed either...

Curious that Christian would mention the danger of getting beat up, and there are 3 different phrases for "beating the crap out of someone" (second with number of phrases).. "A stupid guy" had the largest number of variations with 4

You forgot the disclaimer that one might have to fight or even die due to having such knowledge.

Amazingly, it's on topic.. but I would point out that it would be "using" the knowledge, not having it that could be dangerous.

Only 1 avatar has been harmed in the making of this post.. and in my defense.., avatar torture is a "grey area" and has only been used in this case to extract information.. and besides, isn't golf just self induced torture anyway ?

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »
I showed this web page to my girl when we were both together last month in Moscow. I did not really know her that well so I was not sure what her reaction would be.

She was doubled over with laughter. She scrolled through there for over half an hour just howling with laughter.

Offline Sort

• Opted-Out
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »
Good find there m8.
A lot of good words...

Eduard

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
You know.. I have always wanted to know... If you have ever seen the movie 'Rounders' when Mike McDermott (played by Matt Damon) beats Teddy KGB (John Malkovich) towards the end of the movie... he screams out something like 'volumet' in his fake broken Russian. What's that mean??

I don't remember the movie, but probably he said "Tvoyu mat'" which means "your mother"
which is not too bad of a curse compared to the full version "eb tvoyu mat'" which means "I did your mama" and is quite harsh.
A lot can be said and expressed in russian just by using the curse words, and many Russians talk like that for fun..it's kinda like the russian version of "Jive"

Offline smartcat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »
Oh, guys, here is this list of Russian curses again!  :D Be VERY careful with it because not all the things are translated correct in!

I can tell you a real story happened several years ago to my good friend, a sweet lady, an interpreter. And her boyfriend from USA. He was an PhD, polite man from very good family. Most of English equals from that list would make him blush, as he had not used to use them in real life. So... somebody gave him that list from another URL called "Russian slang" and he decided to use some of that words in webcamera chat. He had chosen the most printable of them (he thought! ;) ).

He started his webcamera chat with - " Zi, detka! I am ebanashka! I love you!" ....
She looked at the screen with shock and started laughing.

She typed back something alike - "horrible! how do you know that? I don't ever imagined you know such things!"

He answered "Mne nasrat', chto ty dumaesh'! I am really crazy with love, you know!"

She said " look, all the agency stuff is looking at your typing, they know you and never have been expecting anything alike from you! What a director of this marriage agency might think about you?!"

He typed something alike: "The director is pizda staraya, she might not understand youngers' zest...
Have you got my presents delivered? You know I am not scheklat' ebalom..."

and so on....

Notes: Words listed at here, as they are translated. And HOW they should be translated :

Ebanashka = crazy person.  (In reality Ebanashka = F@cken goofy)
Mne nasrat', chto ty dumaesh'!  = I don't care what do you think (Really he said "I wanna sh&t over your thinking")
Pizda staraya = old woman [in the URL that man was looking at was not present a second literal meaning old c@nt...]
Scheklat' ebalom = to be careless (really it means... something alike "chattering with teeth of your f@cken face... or to stay with opened mouth of your f@cken mug"

Well, just be careful! :) some horrible words are translated as innocent, some printable are translated as horrible quite the reverse!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:41:05 PM by smartcat »

Offline lindochka

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »
Gentlemen, what Smartcat said.

Many of the sites on Russian "slang" contain vocabulary that really should not be used in polite company. I can relate to the post from the guy whose FSU girl laughed and laughed when she looked at the site. I had a similar reaction when friends who had emigrated from the FSU showed me the English-language books they'd bought about American "slang." (Then I went through those books with them and helped them mark off everything that they'd better not say if they expected to be considered intelligent and/or cultured.)

If you are interested in learning more about this aspect of Russian language, I suggest a visit to http://www.russiancursing.com. The author is a serious student of language and he provides a much better and much more detailed and intelligent explanation of russkiy mat than you will find at the various Russian "slang" sites. The site is also well written and very funny.

You will also get a good idea of which words and expressions are useful to know (in case you hear them) but better not to say (if you want someone to think you have some degree of class).

A woman may laugh if you show her one of these "slang" sites, but it's doubtful that she routinely uses such vocabulary herself or that she would like it or even find it acceptable if you did. (If she does routinely use such language herself, it's kind of like when every other word an AW says is some variation of the "f" word.)

So she's either laughing out of shock, or for the same reason we all laugh when we hear foreigners using vulgarities in our native language. I hope none of you needs to get a laugh so badly as to be willing to look clueless or uncivilized to get one. None of the FSU guys I know, whether they live here in the West or in the FSU, speaks like this in the presence of ladies.

In all the years I have known my DM (a native speaker of Russian who grew up in, and lives in, the FSU), I have never heard him speak this way. I have never heard my Russian-speaking male relatives and friends speak this way around women, either, even when the vodka's been flowing. This is not to say that DM and the other guys don't know this language or that they might not speak this way around other men. But how perfectly civilized, intelligent, and cultured men may talk and act when they're in each others' company is not necessarily the way these same men would behave when ladies are present.

I myself have used such "slang" expressions with DM exactly twice in all these years. Both times I was extremely annoyed and both times the shock of hearing such language come out of my mouth was enough to bring home the point to DM that he should take me very seriously. (And he did.) But this is not a communication tool that should be used routinely or casually.

JMO, gentlemen. Be careful with this stuff!
City girl (US) meets small town guy (Belarus). After four years in an international long-distance relationship, they marry in his hometown and she moves there to live with him. Yes, we live in a sit-com. Without subtitles.

Offline WmGO

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »

That is THE seminal work on the subject! It is very enlightening.

You haven't truly experienced FSU until you have been on the receiving
end of a triple decker.  :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860