It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439437 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1650 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
Noticed one big change today when going to the Home Depot.  In order to minimize the number of trips to stores I have been keeping a list and when it is necessary I try to buy everything on the list in one trip.  When I went to Home Depot to purchase some semi-critical items I noticed that all the entrances were blocked except the main entrance.  There was a line outside with about 30 people in it.  It was clear they were  regulating the number of people in the store.

I am not one to tolerate lines of most any kind.  So went over to Lowes and there were no lines.  In the front entrance they have a large 5 gal pail with wet antiseptic wipes that you pull out of a hole in the top.  The wipes are the size of paper towels and very wet.  Can't beat that!  Unfortunately they don't sell the pails with the wipes in them and are out of stock on the wipes although they claim to normally stock them.

Got everything on my list within a few minutes except for one item which was my fault for not writing down the number of a special CFD light bulb I was forced to install in the kitchen when I remodeled it a few years ago.  The damned things are about $15 ea and last a few months at best.

Hopefully Lowes will continue their current access policy.
Doug (Calmissile)

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1651 on: March 31, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »
I haven't attacked his wife rather making a sound statement that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, yanno?

Really?

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Really.

There's quite enough posts where said poster has referred to his wife's penchant for beaches and sunflower seeds.

Your slip is showing

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1652 on: March 31, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
That doesn't mean you should attack her.  She's not posting here. 

To be pedantic, moby didn't raise the issue of sunflower seeds.  Maxx did.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1653 on: March 31, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »
Interesting way to graph the progression of infections

http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/number-of-coronavirus-cases-by-country/

scroll down the page also.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1654 on: March 31, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »
Noticed one big change today when going to the Home Depot.  In order to minimize the number of trips to stores I have been keeping a list and when it is necessary I try to buy everything on the list in one trip.  When I went to Home Depot to purchase some semi-critical items I noticed that all the entrances were blocked except the main entrance.  There was a line outside with about 30 people in it.  It was clear they were  regulating the number of people in the store.

I am not one to tolerate lines of most any kind.  So went over to Lowes and there were no lines.  In the front entrance they have a large 5 gal pail with wet antiseptic wipes that you pull out of a hole in the top.  The wipes are the size of paper towels and very wet.  Can't beat that!  Unfortunately they don't sell the pails with the wipes in them and are out of stock on the wipes although they claim to normally stock them.

Got everything on my list within a few minutes except for one item which was my fault for not writing down the number of a special CFD light bulb I was forced to install in the kitchen when I remodeled it a few years ago.  The damned things are about $15 ea and last a few months at best.

Cal-

Did they not have 'seniors only' line at both places? Or better yet, special hours for seniors only?

I, too, was at Costco last Sunday. They actually opened 30 minutes earlier than they do on Sundays. Their staff already have the carts lined up for people. Each one already wiped with sanitizing wipes. Then people orderly entered the store (one entrance), and immediately you see a billboard where items noted whether in stock or not (so people would refrain from wandering about looking for it, or asking the staff). Alongside it this list is another column with specific sought-after items like paper towels, toilet paper, water, etc...with an arrow for people to follow if they were there to purchase any of the items listed.

They even have the checkout lines marked with red to designate the 6' separation. the bar used to separate shoppers' items on the conveyor were removed so people wouldn't cluster at the register during checkout.

Pretty orderly and well orchestrated. Much lower stress condition than it usually is on weekends at Costco.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1655 on: March 31, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »

http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/number-of-coronavirus-cases-by-country/

WOW! One positive case every 4-5 seconds in the US..
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #1656 on: March 31, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »

Interesting. Seems a fair comparison but there's no relation to the number of daily testing. That would seem to be a factor in the comparison wouldn't it?

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1657 on: March 31, 2020, 02:28:51 PM »
That would be my guess, FP.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1658 on: March 31, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »
WOW! One positive case every 4-5 seconds in the US..

Germany, Spain, Italy, France, UK, Switzerland which have a total population of the USA have one positive case every 3-3.5 seconds.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

« Reply #1659 on: March 31, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
FP,

The vast majority of testing is being done when folks appear at hospital or doctor with concerning symptoms and not yet general public.

Thus quite comparable.  It shows the momentary rate of infections.  I was surprised to see Italy slowing so much.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #1660 on: March 31, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Cal-

Did they not have 'seniors only' line at both places? Or better yet, special hours for seniors only?

I, too, was at Costco last Sunday. They actually opened 30 minutes earlier than they do on Sundays. Their staff already have the carts lined up for people. Each one already wiped with sanitizing wipes. Then people orderly entered the store (one entrance), and immediately you see a billboard where items noted whether in stock or not (so people would refrain from wandering about looking for it, or asking the staff). Alongside it this list is another column with specific sought-after items like paper towels, toilet paper, water, etc...with an arrow for people to follow if they were there to purchase any of the items listed.

They even have the checkout lines marked with red to designate the 6' separation. the bar used to separate shoppers' items on the conveyor were removed so people wouldn't cluster at the register during checkout.

Pretty orderly and well orchestrated. Much lower stress condition than it usually is on weekends at Costco.

There were no senior lines at either Home Depot or Lowe's.
Just stopped by Stater Bros and they are selling paper towels one roll at a time per person.  They did have plenty of eggs though.  They were out of them most of last week.  I do know that Stater Bros does open early in the morning for seniors.  There was a kid spraying and wiping down all the cart handles outside.  Also learned that they get their shipments and night and restock the shelves at night.  So, for the one item they did not have in stock I will give it a shot tomorrow morning.  Very orderly at both Lowe's and Stater Bros.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1661 on: March 31, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Germany, Spain, Italy, France, UK, Switzerland which have a total population of the USA have one positive case every 3-3.5 seconds.

Without putting these nations together, I think it'll be easier to 'compare' per capita of rate of infection in a given time/period against total population..

US = 360,000,000 against say, Italy = 60,000,000. Both showing 4s / 17s respectively (time). If leaned against population, Italy would be much faster in a miniscule amount of time.

Simply put, 360m / 60m = factor of 6. Thus, per person, Italy is clocking in at the rate of (17 / 6) = 2.83s, US @ 4s. Another way of looking at this is, presumably the US would have more testing stations to accommodate greater population vs Italy - relatively, the likelihood is >6.

This is assuming the testing execution is happening with precisely the same efficiency.

Of course, this is also picking fly sh!t out of peppers.

Edit: So I just peeked at the site BC gave and it had been 'counting' since I last looked. What it said was US 728, Italy 172..so Italy is indeed 'clocking' faster than the US *based on population density*.. 728 / 6 = 121.3 against Italy's 172 in the same given logged time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:53:46 PM by GQBlues »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1662 on: March 31, 2020, 03:28:51 PM »
slightly better than the worst affected countries.   

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1663 on: March 31, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »
I think I may have found what I tried to look for in a while...A progressive US testing count/State:

http://covidtracking.com/data/

It's alarming to see the rate of New York's positive/negative result with their testing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:35:45 PM by GQBlues »

Offline Gator

« Reply #1664 on: March 31, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
FP,

The vast majority of testing is being done when folks appear at hospital or doctor with concerning symptoms and not yet general public.

Thus quite comparable. 

Wonder what China's  rate would have been had they tested and reported fully?

Nevertheless, comparisons should be made based on population and other factors.

I was surprised to see Italy slowing so much.

Great!  You are the canary in the coal  mine. 

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #1665 on: March 31, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »
he told Belshazzar the last king of Babylon
grandson of the mad king Nebuchadnezzar
that Babylon,
she gonna fall...

and that the trees...
will all be cut down
and the forest
become an empty field
of fresh dirt
and stones

Stages Of Dying
DENIAL
ANGER
DEPRESSION
ACCEPTANCE

100% true verifiable fact
50% of the folks on this board are dumber than average!!!

Offline Gator

« Reply #1666 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
There were no senior lines at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

A couple of stores here allow seniors to enter an hour ahead of store opening.  Florida loves its seniors. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #1667 on: March 31, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »

True, if we are a representative normal distribution.  Our ability to compose in  English is better than yours.   

Being from Lake Wobegon. I am the exception. Do I need to remind you:

"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong,
all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:56:17 PM by Gator »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1668 on: March 31, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
A 13 year old boy has just died from Coronavirus in the UK with as far as the parents are aware had no underlying health conditions:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-healthy-boy-13-is-youngest-uk-victim-11966526

The youngest to die to date is apparently a 12 year old girl in Belgium.

A 19 year old guy who worked as a chef also passed away from Coronavirus in the UK around the same time.

The Excel centre is now up and running as a treatment area for those with serious cases. Grimmly it also has a morgue. Considering the survival rate of serious cases is only about a third or so being in a place like that where it's all fairly open plan is a place I would find most depressing to be.

Apparently they are also converting an ice rink into a temporary morgue somewhere in the UK also. So getting pretty grim out there.

However, of recent the number of new cases have steadied, so although many new infections no more rises in infections. Early days but the measures already introduced by the government might already be having some affect which would be good news.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1669 on: March 31, 2020, 04:59:00 PM »
he told Belshazzar the last king of Babylon
grandson of the mad king Nebuchadnezzar
that Babylon,
she gonna fall...

and that the trees...
will all be cut down
and the forest
become an empty field
of fresh dirt
and stones

Stages Of Dying
DENIAL
ANGER
DEPRESSION
ACCEPTANCE

Krim, are you holding up ok man?

I'm not sure if it is me but your posts of late have come across a little garbled. This stuff can be quite stressful on people particularly over a period of time. Make sure you keep an eye on your wellbeing :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #1670 on: March 31, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »

Lowe's Stores are actually currently hiring.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1671 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
  Really uncalled for statement. So who are you ....Mr Genius?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1672 on: March 31, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »
China's coronavirus cover-up was among worst in history, congressman says...
The top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee has accused China of carrying out "one of the worst cover-ups in human history" over the novel coronavirus outbreak and inflicting a pandemic and economic calamity on the world.
Why it matters: Rep. Michael McCaul's rhetoric is characteristic of the growing hawkishness toward China among many in Washington, D.C. even, or especially, amid a crisis that is battering both countries.
Driving the news: McCaul spoke with Axios shortly after China revoked credentials from reporters at five U.S. media outlets.
  • "If they expel our journalists, if that's their answer, I worry we will never get to the bottom of this," McCaul said. "But at the end of the day, we will be pointing the finger at China."
Between the lines: China has been criticized in Washington and beyond for prioritizing the containment of information, rather than of the virus itself, when it emerged in Wuhan.
  • It has also been praised for the "war" it belatedly waged on the virus, with Beijing claiming its decisive action "bought the world time."
  • Increasingly confident it's beyond the worst, China is attempting to play a global leadership role. European politicians, including in Serbia and Italy, have praised China for offering help when the EU could or would not.

More...  http://www.axios.com/china-coronavirus-cover-up-wuhan-pandemic-fa894bb8-998d-494b-8e7a-e834f86d2ea9.html

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #1673 on: March 31, 2020, 10:43:59 PM »
Cooped up at home? You can help scientists spot penguins from space or seek out new galaxies
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/cooped-home-you-can-help-scientists-spot-penguins-space-or-n1172151

Person dresses as bush to sneak out during the coronavirus lockdown

http://nypost.com/2020/03/30/person-dresses-as-bush-to-sneak-out-during-coronavirus-lockdown/

Scientist Gets Magnets Stuck Up Nose While Inventing Necklace
to Stop People Touching Their Faces

http://www.thedailybeast.com/daniel-reardon-gets-magnets-stuck-up-nose-while-inventing-necklace-to-stop-people-touching-their-faces

Coronavirus: Driver stopped on M6 lockdown
trip with wife in boot (trunk)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52088987

Belarus president believes vodka and saunas will cure coronavirus
http://nypost.com/2020/03/30/belarus-president-believes-vodka-and-saunas-will-cure-coronavirus/

Why Not Wearing A Bra During Self-Isolation Is The Best
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/benefits-of-not-wearing-bra-152829641.html

Policeman wears Conovirus helmet
Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2020/03/28/policeman-wears-coronavirus-helmet-warn-people-stay-home-12471259/?ito=cbshare

For the golfers out there: Try this
http://tinyurl.com/sxuh8oj

Drone Pilot Flies Drone With a Roll of Toilet Paper Across San Francisco to a Quarantined Friend in Need
http://laughingsquid.com/drone-delivers-roll-of-toilet-paper/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:22:27 AM by AnonMod »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline msmob

« Reply #1674 on: April 01, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »
That doesn't mean you should attack her.  She's not posting here. 

To be pedantic, moby didn't raise the issue of sunflower seeds.  Maxx did.

Good morning, Boethius !

I didn't interpret Mr Mistake as  'attacking' SC .. just trying to  'point score' and failing ..

When I used Gator as an 'example' ..it could have been Maxx .. I certainly felt that they should have been self-isolating before 'ordered' / by their respective nations of residence.  I was certainly NOT trying to 'ostracise' anyone ...  quite the opposite ... Gator mentioned he was using a cart ....( at the time) ..

[ edited to add: I think it is endearing that his wife cares about him ]

That I even NEED to post such an explanation might back up Krim's viewpoint  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:43:21 AM by msmob »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1967
Total: 1978

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM