It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What makes the FSU so interesting?  (Read 437362 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
What makes the FSU so interesting?
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
It has been a while since we've checked in with Sergei of Real Russia. He is living back in Ufa, and many of his more recent videos are of the city and region in and around Ufa.

Thinking that some readers may someday travel to this region, here is Sergei's report on the Ufa International Airport (IATA code UFA):

UFA airport info in English: http://www.airportufa.ru/en/main.html

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
What makes the FSU so interesting?
« Reply #1051 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
Perhaps it is not so new to you, but I have just been introduced to the Western television series, An Idiot Abroad.

The seemingly reluctant star of the show, British Karl Pilkington, is sent off to various parts of the world by two friends who seem to delight in taking Karl out of his comfort zone.

And, Karl meets Russia.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
Re: What makes the FSU so interesting?
« Reply #1052 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
A belated happy 110th birthday to the Kyiv Funicular (Фуникулер )!

There are only a few of these in the world, such as Paris, and this jewel costs the equivalent of about .15 cents to ride. The short ride up a very steep hill connects downtown Kyiv to the historic Mykhailivska Square area.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1053 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
A belated happy 110th birthday to the Kyiv Funicular (Фуникулер )!

There are only a few of these in the world, such as Paris, and this jewel costs the equivalent of about .15 cents to ride. The short ride up a very steep hill connects downtown Kyiv to the historic Mykhailivska Square area.

I went on that late at night.  It was an exceptional experience.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1054 on: September 20, 2015, 03:08:41 AM »
(In today's Mendeleyev Journal...)

Чай или кофе? (Tea or Coffee)

There was a time when drinking coffee in the FSU was almost a rarity of sorts. Tea reigned supreme, and any coffee consumed was typically a "Turkish" brew which was incredibly strong. Instead of a morning staple, coffee was a dessert beverage, usually after dinner, if at all.

The times, they are a changin' it seems.

McDonalds Coffee June 2015 W 286 height=407

McCafe made the first inroads, adding upscale dessert shops that served both coffee and tea, usually located next door to a McDonalds. Then came CoffeeHouse, Costa Coffee, several others, and then late-comer Starbucks entered the market after a protracted legal battle with a home-grown cafe that had already latched onto the Starbucks name.

choc cafe шоколадница кофейна height=660

Today the most popular coffee in the FSU is instant coffee, and Russia is near the top of the world rankings for consumption of the instant variety.  Coffee suppliers recognize this and have developed high quality options not sold in most Western nations.

coffee nescafe height=660

One possible explanation for the popularity of instant coffee is the set up of the typical FSU kitchen. In Western homes it is common to find a "coffee maker" in the kitchen. Not so much in the FSU, instead one is much more likely to find a "chai-nik", a hot water kettle used for brewing hot water for tea. That same hot water can be used for instant coffee without the need to purchase another appliance--or try to find room for it in kitchens that are generally much smaller than in the West.

Double Coffee 8-24-11 Moscow 1605 height=929

But it isn't just instant coffee that has caught on, and one might reasonably argue that the coffee house concept has driven popularity, especially among younger consumers. Most coffee houses offer high quality desserts, and some have limited entrees, but the idea of free WiFi packaged with good coffee in a hip meeting place has taken off. You can thank McCafe for that, although McDonalds McCafe market share has shrunk while others is exploding.

Coffee House 8-24-11 Moscow 1130 height=583

What seems to be the most popular coffee brew ordered in Coffee Shops as of late? Despite all the anti-American rhetoric often heard these days, the most popular brew is "Amerikano", American.

Coffee Americano June 2015 W 908 height=501

Here is a handy chart to help you navigate your coffee options the next time you are in the FSU:

coffee translations height=420

This primer on coffee choices may have come just in time. Next month, the newest player to get into the coffee business will be the Moscow Metro System. Sometime in October, coffee vending machines will begin to appear in the Metro subway system stations. Vending machines for cold drinks have been appearing in various pedestrian spots, but coffee on the Metro will be a whole new experience.

So, what is your choice - Чай или кофе?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:12:24 AM by mendeleyev »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1055 on: September 20, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
For readers interested in coffee in Russia, we just published a follow-up story entitled, "Here is Another Serving" at the Mendeleyev Journal.

This edition gives readers the chance to obtain free admission tickets to the upcoming Coffee & Tea exhibition planned for 1-3 March 2016.

It also features a video tour of several popular Moscow coffee cafes.

Offline jone

« Reply #1056 on: September 20, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »
Red Cup is the big Coffee Shop in the Southern Urals.   I had coffee there yesterday.  An Americano.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1057 on: September 21, 2015, 01:42:23 AM »
Jone, how did you like the Americano?

Red Cup is growing fast. In fact, they are actively recruiting franchise opportunities:

Откройте свою фирменную кофейню Red Cup
 с прибылью 180 000 р. в месяц Tel: 8 (800) 500-15-36

According to their ads, an owner can net around 180,000 rubles each month. There are 55 locations in Russia, from St Petersburg to Krasnoyarsk, but mostly concentrated in the areas Jone mentioned.

They are very aggressive in marketing coffee and have been successful in capturing a younger demographic that has some disposable income, and are fascinated with the idea of drinking coffee.

Coffee red cup menu height=440

You can find them out and about often, from offering "master classes" on how to brew, and with promotions to try new coffee products.

Coffee red cup pour height=440

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:23:37 AM by mendeleyev »

Offline jone

« Reply #1058 on: September 21, 2015, 04:38:59 AM »
Okay,

I have a hint for anyone coming to Russia or Eastern European countries.  I brought with me a conical plastic filter holder that sits on top of a coffee cup.  Then I brought a box of Number 2 coffee filters.  It is almost time to head back to the US because the filters are almost gone.   

My woman has become a coffee affectianate to any coffee cup which is a receptacle of this filter.  I am no longer invited to make coffee.  I would think that such filters and the plastic holders would make a great item for import into Russia as everyone who sees it goes gaga over it.

As for the Americano, I like the Espresso with Milk better.  But tried it with water because we were adding in Hazelnut to try a different taste.

*****  That cheap plastic cup filter and a couple of boxes of the #2s would be a great introductory present to anyone you are meeting for the first time.  I do not recommend taking ground coffee in your luggage as it is a widely used distraction for dogs that sniff for drugs.

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1059 on: September 21, 2015, 07:09:48 AM »
I bring ground coffee (flavored and decaf) in my luggage from US to Lviv on almost every trip. No problems in 25+ trips.
We purchased an 8 cup electric drip coffee maker, with an onboard permanent filter, from the local Metro warehouse store for only the equivalent of $10 to $15. Works great and the filter does not allow grounds migration into the coffee.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1060 on: September 21, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
Mendy, I discovered the McCafe over 10 years ago in Moscow.  Good coffee and good pastry.  Mickey D's has not implemented the concept in the US. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #1061 on: September 21, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
I love good coffee, and one can DIY during a  trip to the FSU. 

-  Pregrind good beans or buy those small espresso grinds prepacked in metal foil.   

-  Bring a small  stove top coffee maker: either the Turkish pot (cezve) or the small Italian steamer pot. 

In my travels starting 13 years ago, some Russians had the Turkish coffee pots.   The device is simple (stove top) and makes an excellent coffee given you have  QUALITY BEANS.  Bring to a boil, stir, boil again, stir, boil again, serve.   Decant to not disturb the sediment.   

I saw a shop in Chelyabinsk selling copper cezve of many different sizes, including a muy grande that could make coffee for about 6-8 people. 

Offline jone

« Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
They are still here, Gator.  Where I am.  In Chelyabinsk.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1063 on: September 21, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
They are still here, Gator.  Where I am.  In Chelyabinsk.

Splendid! The proximity to the Stans makes the place a little different from the more easterly Russian cities. 

Are you meeting women?   Working at the nearby chemical weapons destruction facility (I met a couple of Americans working there)?

I suppose you have already found the best places.  If you need a suggestion, I will ask my wife who is still well connected.   If you have an opportunity to travel to a dacha, I suggest you go.  In town, the opera house is a good venue. 

Hold your breath when  driving through the industrial zone, especially if the plumes are yellow.  The purple plume did not seem as harsh. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:47:55 PM by Gator »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1064 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
We typically use a French Press, which are easy to obtain in most large department, grocery, or appliance stores across the FSU.  I think that it would also make a good traveling gift as they are sold on Ebay and Amazon, etc.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #1065 on: September 21, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
I used to bring my own coffee maker but have discovered that Starbucks instant is really good - IMO. Takes up less room also. A little expensive but I go to Costco for a better deal.

Offline ML

« Reply #1066 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »
McDonald's coffee regularly beats Starbucks in blind taste tests.

And at what, one fourth or so the cost.

Another nail in the coffin idea that 'you get what you pay for.'
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #1067 on: September 22, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »
As an aside, but contributing to the cultural differences ....

My woman keeps our used coffee filters, dries out the coffee grounds, and then uses the grounds as an exfoliate and skin conditioner.  Had never head of that before.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1068 on: September 22, 2015, 01:59:09 AM »
That is cool, Jone. We use our tea and coffee grounds for compost--great earthworm food.

Offline ML

« Reply #1069 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:21 AM »
That is cool, Jone. We use our tea and coffee grounds for compost--great earthworm food.

But don't use decaffeinated types.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1070 on: September 22, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
We only use "high test" in the vernacular of someone my age, but is decaf not safe because of the acids?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1071 on: September 24, 2015, 03:25:47 AM »
(The Mendeleyev Journal)

Royal Flush on the Moscow Metro:

Metro Prospect Mira toilet a height=495

Officials say that the new toilet on the train platform at Metro Prospect Mira is a test of the concept.

Several years ago Moscow began adding coin operated toilets, permanent units, to replace the old "construction site" style toilets near Metro stations. However, if there is a coffee shop nearby the trend is to head there for a toilet stop.

Metro Prospect Mira toilet b height=495

Access is gained using a Metro ride card. Doors automatically lock once a passenger enters. Exit is accomplished by push button.

Metro Prospect Mira toilet f height=880

Along with the addition of coffee vending machines in the Metro, system managers announced plans for toilets inside stations near the transition areas. It is a pilot project with the first one opened at the Prospekt Mira station earlier this week.

Metro Prospect Mira toilet e height=880

Officials say that the toilet is "self-contained" and needs no plumbing or water connections. However, toilets do flush and there is water for washing one's hands.

Metro Prospect Mira toilet d height=880

Metro Prospect Mira toilet c height=880

It had been speculated that Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin might attend the opening of the new toilet, and perhaps give a guided demonstration. Alas, he was a "no show" and instead, opted to make an appearance at the opening of Moscow's new station "Kotelniki."

Metro Kotelniki opening height=565

Kotelniki is the 195th station on the Moscow Metro system. While Kotelniki has a fancy new vending machine for purchasing disposable umbrellas, there is no toilet.

Yet.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:29:52 AM by mendeleyev »

Offline Gator

« Reply #1072 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

Officials say that the toilet is "self-contained" and needs no plumbing or water connections. However, toilets do flush and there is water for washing one's hands.

I guess it features  a vacuum flush such as on commercial flights to minimize water usage.  This is expensive technology. 

Over the years of my travel in  FSU cities, finding  a place to pee other than at a restaurant was not easy. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #1073 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
As an aside, but contributing to the cultural differences ....

My woman keeps our used coffee filters, dries out the coffee grounds, and then uses the grounds as an exfoliate and skin conditioner.  Had never head of that before.

Same here..    Is this practice limited to Chelyabinsk?

Back to toilets.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1074 on: October 17, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
Sergei Baklykov of REAL RUSSIA visited a Russian collective milk farm this past August, and here is all you need to know about collective milk farming:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1979
Total: 1989

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM