It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Hello, a little about myself  (Read 5027 times)

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Hello, a little about myself
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »
Hi, my name's Dave. Born in NYC. Spent most of my younger years in Europe, primarily London. When I was 15 we moved back to NYC and I started university. Being a child of the '60s I wanted to be an astronaut. At university we were told by speakers from NASA that in 40 or 50 years (meaning about now) we'd be living and working on Mars. Still waiting for that trip to Mars. I earned an MSc in physics and the US space program stalled. Instead of going for my PhD I went to law school and did a JD/MBA. Lawyers are paid better than astronauts anyway. I always meant to get my PhD but life got in the way.

In 1999 I was working in London and meet my wife on a business trip to Moscow. She was a hostess at a business social put on by the Moscow government (could have been the Kremlin) to attract foreign businesses. Anyone who visited Moscow knows the Russian economy was bad then. A colleague told me he had found me the perfect woman and walked me into the next room. There she was standing at the other end of the room. She stood a head above most people in the room, even the men. Since I'm 6'8" I prefer women close to 6' at a minimum, she was about 6’5” in heels. I discreetly made my way over to her to talk. Many trips between London and Moscow and many dates later I ended up being transferred back to NYC.

It is far more difficult to travel to Moscow for a weekend visit from NYC than from London but dating continued. Meanwhile my company was bought by a much larger company and a number of employees including myself were bought out. Fortunately it was the late ‘90s, the buyout was very generous.

I decided to visit my future wife in Moscow. We decided I should move to Moscow, she knew someone who would give me a job and the much needed visa. We got married about 4 months later. I ended up teaching English for about 15 months before getting a job at an American company in Moscow. Worked there for about 5 years. We eventually moved to NYC because the senior staff at my wife’s school were purged or quit and my wife didn’t like the new management.

Today we live in NYC and have twin girls in grade 3. Life goes on.     

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Hello, a little about myself
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dave and great story!  :welcome:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Since I'm 6'8" I prefer women close to 6' at a minimum, she was about 6’5” in heels. I discreetly made my way over to her to talk.

At 6'8" (203 cm), how can you discretely walk anywhere? I think she saw you coming.  ;)  Thanks for sharing your story.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
Hi, my name's Dave.

:welcome: Dave!

...Since I'm 6'8" I prefer women close to 6' at a minimum, she was about 6'’5"” in heels.
Today we live in NYC and have twin girls in grade 3. Life goes on.

So they're what?  Eight years old?  Already close to six feet tall?

At 6'8" (203 cm), how can you discreetly walk anywhere? I think she saw you coming.  ;)  Thanks for sharing your story.

Agreed!

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
:welcome: Dave!

So they're what?  Eight years old?  Already close to six feet tall?

They're taller than the boys of their age so they'll be tall. If they stop at 5'10" that'd be nice but my mom was 6' so it's likely the girls will probably be at least 6'. IOW, they won't be ballerinas. Maybe a basketball scholarship to UCONN.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
They're taller than the boys of their age so they'll be tall. If they stop at 5'10" that'd be nice but my mom was 6' so it's likely the girls will probably be at least 6'. IOW, they won't be ballerinas. Maybe a basketball scholarship to UCONN.

Go Huskies!  actually some of the top WNBA stars went over to Russia to play professionally.  Apparently they pay way more than in the States.

Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi and Lauren Jackson, Candace Parker all went...look up the story on ESPN. it was a league set up by some Russian businessman who was assassinated in 2009, fascinating stuff.

Did you play D1?  If only I were 7 feet tall I'd be hoopin' in the league. haha

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
Go Huskies!  actually some of the top WNBA stars went over to Russia to play professionally.  Apparently they pay way more than in the States.

Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi and Lauren Jackson, Candace Parker all went...look up the story on ESPN. it was a league set up by some Russian businessman who was assassinated in 2009, fascinating stuff.

Did you play D1?  If only I were 7 feet tall I'd be hoopin' in the league. haha

Other than playing basketball between friends I never played. Almost all of my schooling was in the UK. No basketball leagues when I was there. When I started university in the states I was approached to play but I was only 15 (started school early in the UK and skipped a grade). I had no skills and was about 6'7" and 170 pounds. Too slow, too weak and too light to play.

In London in my youth I played lots of football (soccer), which I still enjoy watching. Looking forward to the World Cup, wish I could be in Russia for it. Also played lots of cricket. I try to explain cricket to my colleagues at work and they fall asleep.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 09:10:55 PM »
yeah basketball ain't that popular in the UK.  I am trying to think who the last NBA player from the UK was.

NY is a hotbed for bball obviously.  Being very tall may not always be a blessing in daily life.  Trying to find proper fitting clothes, or fitting in a car, airplane seat, bumping into ceilings..at least that's what my tall friends tell me. 

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 11:46:50 PM »
yeah basketball ain't that popular in the UK.  I am trying to think who the last NBA player from the UK was.

NY is a hotbed for bball obviously.  Being very tall may not always be a blessing in daily life.  Trying to find proper fitting clothes, or fitting in a car, airplane seat, bumping into ceilings..at least that's what my tall friends tell me.

I take a size 18 EW shoe. Even in NYC the selection is limited. Thankfully Amazon has a nice selection of shoes and tall clothing.

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dave and great story!  :welcome:

Seconded  :clapping:

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
I can't recall seeing anyone over 6'6 for a guy in Moscow.  Someone where I would do a double take.  And women over 6' would be quite rare too.

hey how was it working in Moscow in the early 2000's? 

I've been there on/off starting a few yrs ago and many of the professional expats have left.  The ruble took a huge hit in 2015 and basically cut salaries in half.  Even alot of teachers decided it wasn't worth it.  If you do freelance or private tutoring you can command a high ruble rate but once you factor in the exchange it's still less than pre 2014.

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:51:51 AM »
Other than playing basketball between friends I never played. Almost all of my schooling was in the UK. No basketball leagues when I was there.

'Interesting'

There was an annual English schools basketball championship which my school, "Wilmslow County Grammar" won in a two leg final against a school from St.Albans in 1976.. I remember it well as Wendy Hitchmough - from the upper sixth ( I was nearly 17 - she was 18) - sat next to me after the St Alban's leg - snogged my face off - and yet I was more interested in a girl sat three seats in front - who kept staring at me .... turned out we'd gone to school - six years before in N.Ireland ....  Karen G and I are still in touch...

Two of my friends played for England at school level - touring the US and Canada

I used to go to watch my friends play in league matches at Stockport in Cheshire

Now, whilst I'd agree - England / UK have never been astral at BB - you clearly went to the 'wrong' school in the UK (( 

Can't find anything about the 'famous win' - but here's an article about two of our former teachers - winning an unsung heroes award - for their promotion of Basketball

http://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/9301/former-wilmslow-teachers-win-bbc-unsung-heroes-award
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:55:59 AM by msmob »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:23 AM »
I can't recall seeing anyone over 6'6 for a guy in Moscow.  Someone where I would do a double take.  And women over 6' would be quite rare too.

I can't recall many ultra-tall guys in Moscow, either.  However, I did post (years ago) about a woman I saw on the Metro on my first visit who must have been about 6' 3" without shoes - and she was wearing high heels as well.  She had to duck quite a long way to get through the door into the carriage.

Offline bluesky56

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 04:47:22 AM »
welcome to the forum

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 09:25:14 AM »

I'm usually the tallest person in the room in either the US or Moscow but every once in a while I run into someone taller. The tallest person I've met personally said he was 7'2" an African who moved to London.

hey how was it working in Moscow in the early 2000's? 

I enjoyed it. It was not for everyone but I didn't have too many problems. I had the advantage of having lived and worked for many years in foreign countries so I was used to not knowing the local language and/or culture. I also had a Russian wife so I had someone who know the language and culture.

I've been there on/off starting a few yrs ago and many of the professional expats have left.  The ruble took a huge hit in 2015 and basically cut salaries in half.  Even alot of teachers decided it wasn't worth it.  If you do freelance or private tutoring you can command a high ruble rate but once you factor in the exchange it's still less than pre 2014.

If you were paid in rubles you lost a lot of income however if you were paid in USD or euros you were OK. Of course some foreign companies downsized because of the recession and because of the politics.

Teachers were probably more impacted than the professionals paid in USDs. For teachers the only way to make a living in Moscow now or back in 2000 was/is to have private students. I'm sure schools lost teachers although you've got to remember your salary maybe be in rubles but so is your rent, food and most other expenses.

When I was teaching I don't recall any teacher working more than 30 hours/week for a school most seemed to do about 25 hrs/week. I worked the minimum needed to keep my visa.  If the school provided accommodation and a salary it was theoretically possible to survive but I don't remember too many teachers not having a private client list.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »

If you were paid in rubles you lost a lot of income however if you were paid in USD or euros you were OK. Of course some foreign companies downsized because of the recession and because of the politics.

Teachers were probably more impacted than the professionals paid in USDs. For teachers the only way to make a living in Moscow now or back in 2000 was/is to have private students.

Teachers are mostly paid in rubles.  The cost of living now in MSC is quite high.

Almost everyone does privates to supplement their income.  The wages the big chain language schools pay are very exploitative.  Basically you would make more money working at a Starbucks or McDonalds back home than one of them.
Everyone's hustling to score the lucrative gigs with rich clients.  You are set if you land one but they can be very fickle and cancel without reason.

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 12:37:33 AM »
Teachers are mostly paid in rubles.  The cost of living now in MSC is quite high.

Almost everyone does privates to supplement their income.  The wages the big chain language schools pay are very exploitative.  Basically you would make more money working at a Starbucks or McDonalds back home than one of them.
Everyone's hustling to score the lucrative gigs with rich clients.  You are set if you land one but they can be very fickle and cancel without reason.

I hope another Canadian - who IS teaching 'English' in Moscow - ( I rib him - a lot - about this - as many Russians want UK English taught )  right now - comes along to offer his somewhat different take on the current scene

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 12:54:11 AM »
I hope another Canadian - who IS teaching 'English' in Moscow - ( I rib him - a lot - about this - as many Russians want UK English taught )  right now - comes along to offer his somewhat different take on the current scene

Who's this other Canadian you speak of?  The Russians that want UK teachers are thinking of sending their kids to a boarding school there or immigrating.  There have been requests of North American only teachers by other clients. 

I talked to over 20 expat teachers when I was in Moscow last year. Working all jobs from school, corporate and private clients.  Pretty sure I know what's going on over there right now.

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:49 AM »
I've asked him to pop in

I can promise you I've not influenced him.. I based my post on what HE has told me 

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:51 AM »
Besides this thread is about DaveNY and his experiences.  Don't derail it.  If your teacher buddy wants to post tell him to start a new thread.

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 01:27:26 AM »
Besides this thread is about DaveNY and his experiences.  Don't derail it.  If your teacher buddy wants to post tell him to start a new thread.

That would be best -- he does not play well with adults !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:20 AM »

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22583.msg478850#msg478850

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1939
Total: 1950

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM