It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Cataract Surgery  (Read 5933 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Cataract Surgery
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:59:08 PM »
Anyone had cataract surgery with complete unconsciousness ?

I am scheduled for Thursday morning.
I asked Dr if I would be completely out.
He said NO.

Note:  I am not afraid of pain, and I am not afraid of surgery in general, and I am not afraid of visits to dentist, etc.

I had heart surgery and never worried at all.

But the thought of surgery on eye when I am awake and watching them cut on my eye is freaking me out.

I will probably cancel, and search for someplace that will completely put me out . . . even as I understand there is more danger when a person is put completely under/out.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Cataract Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »
Good luck on the surgery.

One of the guys we played golf with last weekend had told us he had problems with cataracts before as well. When I asked him if he had surgery done, he said no because he tried using eye drops that someone told him may actually work. The eye drop is called *Can-C*. Worked for him.

I'm certain your doctor may feign at being ask of the effectiveness of this treatment, but maybe worth knowing for other readers who might be wondering.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »
I had that laser eye procedure. My guess is they will numb your eyes and hold your eyelids open with a device that does not allow you to blink. I thought I would freak out but it was definitely painless.....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
A walk on the beach. Just ask Malcom McDowell.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
Ethos Bright Eyes™ Cataract Eye Drops - UK Television Start of Test It looks like [on google]  they were developed in Russia
Shows surgery high speed :P

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
Talk to people who have had laser eye surgery, as it is the same.  Also, ask about the success rate for the type of surgery you are having.  Cataract surgery is usually fairly routine, but depending on what is wrong, your success rate varies. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
I will probably cancel, and search for someplace that will completely put me out . . . even as I understand there is more danger when a person is put completely under/out.

PUSSY!!! I hope by insulting you will make you change your mind. These tactics work 67.4% of the time. I've had lasik surgery and was awake the whole time. Your eyelids will be held open and they will numb your eyes with some drops. You may experience pressure on your eye but the most pain you will experience is during the recovery. I know a guy who had cataracts removed. His vision used to be poor and things looked yellow. Now he can clearly see. You won't regret it and you may be able to see your Ochka for the first time!
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
Talk to people who have had laser eye surgery, as it is the same.  Also, ask about the success rate for the type of surgery you are having.  Cataract surgery is usually fairly routine, but depending on what is wrong, your success rate varies.

My mother had cataracts removed a couple of years ago, using only local anesthetic, and it made a world of difference.  Her eyesight is now nearly as good as mine - we both require glasses for reading, but Mum also needs them for driving.

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

I am scheduled for Thursday morning.

So...what happened?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:41:52 AM »
I did have the surgery on my left eye last Thursday.
I checked with one other place and they said they didn't put you completely out either.

Finally decided I would suffer more anguish trying to find another place and going through all the procedures and the waits gain . . . than the anguish of just doing it.

I am not very happy with results and had some complications wherein I had go back again just as I got home.  And went yesterday for standard follow up.

But dr said it is too early yet to think the final result has settled in.

Right eye is scheduled for 19th January.

I have been doing a ton of typing and computer work to help Ochka get started in classes for Spring semester, and still have more to do to get some Internet based practice problems set up (check out WileyPLUS if you are interested).

This work is pretty hard to do with one surgery done as there is a lot of disconnect between left eye and right eye, blurriness, glare, etc.
But this is something you have to put up with if you want to be with a gal out of your league.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »

I am not very happy with results and had some complications wherein I had go back again just as I got home.  And went yesterday for standard follow up.

I wasn't initially happy with the results of my lasik but after a month, I could see perfect. There's a healing process involved and when it's all said and done, you may pleased.

I checked with one other place and they said they didn't put you completely out either.

Give Ochka hammer, point to your skull.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
Go in to have second eye done tomorrow.

The two weeks between eye surgeries is a bit of a hassle.

One eye has the lens implant, and one eye is looking through glasses.  The different lengths cause some double vision, glaring, etc.

Dr said this problem wouldn't occur if I had contact in eye, rather than wearing glasses for that eye.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
Best of luck to you tomorrow.  Keep us posted.  I will probably need the same surgery in a few years.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
Go in to have second eye done tomorrow.

How long do you have to wear a patch?

Offline ML

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
Update:

As noted earlier, one eye done 5 January and second eye 19 January.

Small incision to outside area of eye, very thin tube pushed in which breaks up natural lens and then sucks it out.  No pain felt except for some sensation of pressure.

Many eye drops used before operation to numb, dilate, etc.
Catheter in hand to administer some anesthesia, but I don't think they used much as I was fully conscious of what was going on, etc. 

I had worried earlier about blinking, because I am a hyper frequent blinker.  But they have some contraption that holds eyelid up and because of all the drops I never even felt this 'odd' situation (not being able to blink).  All I could see was some fog and some seemingly distant light.

The actual surgery took only about 10-15 minutes or maybe less.

The new lens comes rolled up for insertion and unrolls after it is inside.  This worried me also, as it would seem that the unrolling would damage all edges it came in contact with.  I never inquired about this or took the time to try to find info to read about it.

I never had any stitches in either eye, although I had read that sometimes stitches are needed.  The never put any patches on either eye or indicated it might be necessary.

But after first eye operation, I did put patch on operated eye for a day or so, because it was distracting to view through artificial lens in that eye and my glass prescription through other eye.  I took the glass lens out of my glasses for the eye that had artificial lens.

Right after operation, they had me look at the standard eye chart, and I could see pretty well; something like 20/30.  And all the written materials indicated vision would improve over time after swelling subsided, etc.

But, I panicked after we got back home and I realized the vision on that operated on eye had decreased substantially.  I called and we went back in immediately.  The pressure in eye was around 44 when standard is 21 or so.  The Dr used some instrument to push on the eyeball which forced excess fluid out the hole used in operation.  Pressure dropped to 15 or so; and he gave me another bottle of eyedrops used to reduce pressure.  And, just my luck, he said this high pressure situation only develops with about 1 out of 100 patients.

I went back in for scheduled follow up in 5 days and found eye pressure in both eyes was only 11.  He said even as I put drops in one eye, the drops migrated to other eye also.  Stopped use of  that eye drop, and in a subsequent follow up pressure was around 18.

After second eye operation, same thing happened.  i.e. Vision deteriorated after we got back home; but this time I started using the pressure drops immediately.  And I was very happy to find that the eye cleared up completely by around 8:30 PM that first night.  In fact, vision was better in that second operated on eye, than in the first one which was 2 weeks earlier.  This had always been the case with my glasses, but don't understand exactly why it continues now in view of idea that the implanted lens is supposed to make both eyes virtually 20/20 . . . if diagnosed correctly, I suppose.

Anyway, I think I can probably see something like 20/25 now, which hopefully will get even better over time.

Now, however, I have a new hassle . . . reading glasses.

Previously, I could move my distance glasses down a bit on my nose and read most everything.  And, I could even take off my glasses, hold something up about 6 inches from my eye (like reading a tiny label at grocery store) and see it perfectly.  (Note: this doesn't work for Ochka who is starting to need reading glasses.  If she tries my previous procedure of holding something up extremely close, she can see nothing.)

Now, with the lens implant, I am in same boat as Ochka.  Holding something up close provides zero reading  ability, so reading glasses are absolutely necessary  now.  But with reading glasses, one  can't see ANYTHING more than a  couple of feet away.

And, I have found (as Dr warned) that I may need different strength reading glasses for computer work vs reading newspaper, etc.

I will check into getting the continuous variable strength reading glasses after a month or so.  Need to wait until all is calmed down with the eyes.

Meanwhile, the local Dollar Store has proved extremely useful.
Ochka now has two pair of reading glasses (different strengths) and I have 4 pair (different strengths) for less than $10 total including taxes !!!

One last note:  Standard is 3 different eye drops which continue on for 7 weeks.  One antibiotic, one standard anti inflammatory and one steroid anti inflammatory; and I used for awhile a 4th, the pressure reducing drops.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:42:46 PM by ML »

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »

Anyway, I think I can probably see something like 20/25 now, which hopefully will get even better over time.

That sounds pretty good.
I will have my right eye done on the 15th.
Though I would have completely free service after co-pay ...VA would be an ordeal so I'm doing it up the st. at a specialty clinic.
Eyes are nothing to experiment on.
At VA, you don't know who you would wind up with.
Don't get me wrong, my primary care has been excellent.

Offline ML

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:51 PM »
Best of luck to you TF.

I went back for follow up just today.

Dr saw no problems while using the 'big scope and big lights.'

Helper gal testing one eye at a time gave me 20/40 reading in each eye.  But I deliberately didn't give much of a try on last line, because I wanted Dr to show some concern.

When he came in, he asked me to read chart using both eyes at same time and proclaimed I was 20/25.  I think he cheated a little also on the good side; so probably I am something like 20/30.

20/50 is good enough for drivers license test to keep the glasses notation off, so that's good.

I will be none to happy if I do end up with nothing better than 20/25, and especially if it's 20/40.

But too early to call the game yet.  Probably need to give it a couple of months.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1869
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1859
Total: 1869

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM