It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What is an MOB'er?  (Read 72430 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: What is an MOB'er?
« Reply #375 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »
 :)   I don't think he has killed anyone on a surgeon's table.

As I have posted in the past, I believe Yanukovych, in Soviet times, worked for a special department of the Soviet government.  I posted it was KGB, but it really is an offshoot of the KGB, the MVD.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:55:18 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #376 on: March 14, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
Back in the states and awake for a day at the office - or a partial day.

Of interesting note, is that I read through one of the PPL sites to evaluate how many women said that they had college degrees.  The answer was over 86% of my sample, when I was originally looking.  Then I went on a subscription site to review the same number.  It fell to around 47%. 

I was amazed at how much more eddicated those women were on the PPL sites.  Amazing!

What?  I shouldn't believe that they all had degrees?  But if they were lying about their education credentials, could they not have been telling the truth about other things too?  What a novel idea!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #377 on: March 14, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Of interesting note, is that I read through one of the PPL sites to evaluate how many women said that they had college degrees.  The answer was over 86% of my sample, when I was originally looking.  Then I went on a subscription site to review the same number.  It fell to around 47%. 

I was amazed at how much more eddicated those women were on the PPL sites.  Amazing!

What?  I shouldn't believe that they all had degrees?  But if they were lying about their education credentials, could they not have been telling the truth about other things too?  What a novel idea!

I was under the impression that a large percentage do actually have degrees. Maybe it is not so much a lie as it is they are not seriously looking for a man and cannot find work in their field? They have degrees but are working as chat girls?  :)

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
I lived in Ukraine for over a year, it is a grind and a half.

Depends upon with whom one is living...

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
Depends upon with whom one is living...

I bow down to your superior experience. 

Offline cc3

« Reply #380 on: March 14, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »
That's because you are still a tourist.

...and you are not, New Yorker? Being regularly up against the 90/180 days in Ukraine limit for the last year, I don't feel like much of a tourist.

After marriage, in Ukraine, in May, with my residence permit, living in Luhans'k, I'll get back to you, Muzh, if I experience a subjective shift in my opinions on Ukrainian life.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #381 on: March 14, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »
Put all your cash and credit cards away.  You are, by Ukrainian standards, of pensionable age.  Live on the average Ukrainian pension for a year.  No additional cash for emergencies.  No cash if you get ill, for hospital bribes or medicine, other than what you've managed to save from your "pension" income.  Then, come back to report to us.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Muzh

« Reply #382 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
...and you are not, New Yorker? Being regularly up against the 90/180 days in Ukraine limit for the last year, I don't feel like much of a tourist.

After marriage, in Ukraine, in May, with my residence permit, living in Luhans'k, I'll get back to you, Muzh, if I experience a subjective shift in my opinions on Ukrainian life.

I was typing what Boe is telling you. No need to be redundant.

Thanks Boe.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Muzh

« Reply #383 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
Put all your cash and credit cards away.  You are, by Ukrainian standards, of pensionable age.  Live on the average Ukrainian pension for a year.  No additional cash for emergencies.  No cash if you get ill, for hospital bribes or medicine, other than what you've managed to save from your "pension" income.  Then, come back to report to us.

LMFAO

I'd give anything to see that happening.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline cc3

« Reply #384 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

I have no argument with your reply or Muzh's. I do not maintain that life in Ukraine is a bowl full of cherries. If you have read my posts, I cite the misery of unemployment and underemployment and being cheated out of a tolerable standard of living by the kleptocrats at the top. I know that pensioners are at the bottom of the heap.

I never said that Ukraine was "picturesque". I said jone's pearl analogy was "picturesque". I believe you two are overreacting or simply delighting in being sarcastically hyper-critical. Your lives must be incredibly boring. If you continue to escalate your frivolous comments, feel free; as a Marine I have been verbally assaulted by champions of uncivil, non-intellectual verbal trashing.   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:59:00 AM by AnonMod »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »

I was responding to this -

I'll get back to you, Muzh, if I experience a subjective shift in my opinions on Ukrainian life.

You've modified your post, but, our point was, your opinions will always be coloured by your privileged position as a Westerner, or, more precisely, a Western income source, which far exceeds that of the average Ukrainian.  Even if you are living with a Ukrainian, she benefits from that Western income.

There is no sarcasm in our posts.  We are pointing out that your perception is just far from the reality of how about 90% of Ukrainians live.

It is also not only pensioners.  Although government stats say unemployment is falling, in my MIL's area of the city, none of the young men have jobs. 

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #386 on: March 14, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
I was responding to this -

You've modified your post, but, our point was, your opinions will always be coloured by your privileged position as a Westerner, or, more precisely, a Western income source, which far exceeds that of the average Ukrainian.  Even if you are living with a Ukrainian, she benefits from that Western income.

There is no sarcasm in our posts.  We are pointing out that your perception is just far from the reality of how about 90% of Ukrainians live.

It is also not only pensioners.  Although government stats say unemployment is falling, in my MIL's area of the city, none of the young men have jobs.

From what aI have heard from the natives is that the economy and employment is actually gettting worse over the past year.
Perhaps they keep books like the US does.       ;D
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #387 on: March 14, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »

You  haven't been reading this forum very long, have you? :P

Just long enough to know that some people drink to much before they post.....so I forgive then because they have no clue what they are saying

In light of some of the active recent discussion in the ‘First timer headed to Ukraine’ thread, I needed to read this again.  :)

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #388 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
.... a Western income source, which far exceeds that of the average Ukrainian.

We are pointing out that your perception is just far from the reality of how about 90% of Ukrainians live.

Russians also (except St. Pete and Moscow).

GOB
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:12:09 PM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline Boethius

« Reply #389 on: March 14, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
From what aI have heard from the natives is that the economy and employment is actually gettting worse over the past year.
Perhaps they keep books like the US does.       ;D

:D   That is what I hear too, but since "official" figures say the Ukrainian economy is growing, I will assume, for the time being, that they are accurate.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #390 on: April 30, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »

and.. would the ladies be MOB'ees, or MOB'ettes?  :P

They would simply be MOB's!  :)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
What is an MOB'er?
« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2024, 12:36:56 PM »

No offense meant with the following:

What is an average MOBer, and how do you differ?  I don't know, GQ, I've read your posts going way back, and your story of meeting, living life, age gap, etc., seems to echo commonalities with many other that I've read and is also divergent from many others.   Nothing wrong with that as all of our stories have some aspects in common as well as differences.  What I don't understand is the constant need to distance yourself from the elusive, enigmatic, and I reckon stereotypical profile (whatever that is) of an "MOB'er".  So what exactly is it?  (anyone?)

Perhaps a good thread topic but here would be as good a place as any..

Seems to me that they project what they wish to believe.  Some guys will inevitably fit the bill and others won't.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
What is an MOB'er?
« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2024, 12:37:08 PM »
I will now offer my answer.
A MOB'er (the modern day version) is someone who gets up off his arse, gets on a plane and meets a woman in a foreign country with the hopes of marrying her down the line.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online krimster2

• He/Him
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2024, 01:13:01 PM »
sounds about right...

a MOBer is like a '49er
they got up off their ass, and made a difficult journey to find somethin valuable
if they were smart and worked at it, they got the gold
and those that sat on their ass - will complain about the unfainess of life

fortune ALWAYS favors the bold

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:39:27 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats