It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317343 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
Wife called as she was getting ready to come home from university today.
Said she wanted pizza and sex after finishing first week of classes.
But classes didn't start until Wednesday, so it seems this type of celebration was not warranted.
I reluctantly agreed anyway.
Scams come in all forms.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
Said she wanted pizza and sex after finishing first week of classes.

Did she want one serving or a buffet?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #402 on: August 23, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
Ochka got the standard One Year Extension Letter for her 2 year Green Card a couple of weeks ago.

And last week received appointment letter to go to USCIS center for another round of finger printing regarding her application for ROC and to receive 10 year Green Card.  The appointment date is this Friday.

After that, we have to settle in for a wait of a year or more, and in some cases applicants have to go back to get another extension when a year passes.

Could even be a deliberate slow down in the processing.

A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #403 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
For those of you looking for a Slavic wife . . . avoid the foreign travel and visa problems of getting her here.

100,000 Slavic Christians live in the Vancouver, Oregon area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/us/ukrainian-christian-refugees.html?mcubz=3

Offline BillyB

« Reply #404 on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

A lot of them are in the Pacific NW. Add another 100,000 in the Seattle area. A lot of people got visas due to the persecution they experienced in the FSU for their beliefs. After Reagan made an agreement with Gorbachav and opened up visas to America, a lot of people in the FSU finally found a need to believe in God. Currently most new immigrants are sponsored by their relatives who arrived in the first and second waves. I've been to their churches. Seemed cult like in some ways. Had to stand on a hard concrete floor with our knees 20-30 minutes at certain times during the service. The service lasted 3 hours. The people  in the congregation were allowed to preach from their seats taking turns with the pastor.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
For those of you looking for a Slavic wife . . . avoid the foreign travel and visa problems of getting her here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/us/ukrainian-christian-refugees.html?mcubz=3

I don't think they marry out of their communities (meaning Pentecostal or Baptist) very often.

Those communities were well established in both Russia and Ukraine.  Baptists had a very high rate of emigration in Tsarist times, due to persecution.  I met Baptists in Soviet times, as there was a large village just outside Kyiv, and my husband worked with a young man from that community.  They were very pious, and they faced tremendous persecution in Soviet times, even during so called "glasnost'".  They did marry outside their community, but only if the outsider accepted their religion.  Only 18,300 Baptists and Pentecosts emigrated to the US from the entire USSR between 1987 and 1990, with another 7,400 leaving in 1991.  However, as the USSR collapsed in August of 1991, it is unknown how many emigrated before the collapse, and how many left after.

What is more interesting is the Old Believer communities in Siberia.  They were completely isolated, living basically off the map, so even Soviet authorities didn't know of them.  One community was discovered in the late 1970's when a Soviet pilot who had been captured by them and used to impregnate women escaped.  They spoke a Russian that doesn't exist anymore, and lived as their ancestors had in the 18th century, when they denounced society and moved into isolation.  There are Old Believer communities in Canada and the Western U.S. as well.  In fact, that was the first Russian my husband heard here, and he went and asked them where they were from.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »

Washington, not Oregon.

It confused me when I first saw it, because the only Vancouver I've ever heard of (until now) is the one in British Columbia.  How confusing is it for people in the area, considering that they're relatively close together (maybe 150 miles apart)?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #407 on: August 28, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

I don't think they marry out of their communities (meaning Pentecostal or Baptist) very often.

It's hard to get a date with one of those girls but enough FSU people came over that weren't very religious or left their religion and embraced other kinds of Christianity that are easier to get to know.

Washington, not Oregon.

It confused me when I first saw it, because the only Vancouver I've ever heard of (until now) is the one in British Columbia.  How confusing is it for people in the area, considering that they're relatively close together (maybe 150 miles apart)?

When ML said Vancouver, Oregon area, he's technically not wrong. Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR are next door neighbors separated by a river. Large pocket of FSU people in both those cities. I dated a few. A few hours drive from another large pocket of FSU people in the Seattle area. I live between both Vancouvers and people here make sure to say "B.C." after saying Canada's Vancouver.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #408 on: August 28, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
When ML said Vancouver, Oregon area, he's technically not wrong. Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR are next door neighbors separated by a river... I live between both Vancouvers and people here make sure to say "B.C." after saying Canada's Vancouver.

Thanks, Billy.

Offline ML

« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »
Before his career took off as a singer, TV and movie performer, Glenn was in high demand by recording studios.

Here you can see why.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/GUBhE00h9U0?feature=player_detailpage

Offline ML

« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
Yushenko started this way back when, but then Yanokovich reversed it.

This will be the second  try.

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/parliament-oks-law-bring-ukrainian-education-closer-european-standards.html

I was in Ukraine in 2009 and talking with University faculty.  They were telling of the problem that would occur when no new students came to university during the switch year.

And, the high schools would have the opposite problem as they wouldn't have teachers for the 12th year.

For universities, it was a one time problem.
For high schools, the problem would continue.

Offline ML

« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Saw a little segment about blockchains on PBS recently.

Bitcoins use that technology, but it can be used for many, many other applications also.
Apparently it is virtually hack-proof.

I am in favor of it . . . but not for Bitcoins or other currencies.
There is no control over Bitcoins and it is probably already a balloon ready to burst.

Also, Monetary Policy is a necessary tool for governments to help the economy.

Whether you like any given Monetary Policy followed by any government at a particular point in time . . . surely no one can believe that nations (or groups of nations - Euro) should not be able to control their own Monetary Policy.

Offline ML

Offline Anotherkiwi

Offline ML

Offline BillyB

« Reply #415 on: September 08, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »

ML, I thought you didn't like off topic posts. I would've never thought information about Glenn Campbell, Yushenko, Yanukovych and Bitcoins can be found here. Can we talk about Alcoholics Anonymous here too?

Offline ML

« Reply #416 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Billy, those are just small items not  worthy of separate threads.

Besides, the rule is:  If I do it, it is by definition OK.  Get with the program.

Offline ML

« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »
What can our Florida members report about Irma?

Offline ML

« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »
What ?????

Offline ChickMagnet

« Reply #419 on: September 16, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Congratulations!

I'm not sure what the 4 years wonder means but seems to mean it took 4 years.

Hey, it took me 1 week (original One Week Wonder), and 12-13 years later we are still going strong.
This might seem like a controversial statement, but I learned it from a Serbian lady across my street.
She said her love grew over time. And that's the same with me and my wife, although I don't know how
it can grow any stronger.

Offline ML

« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
We were recently in art museum.
I kept looking at this pic for a long time.
Wifey wanted to know what I found so riveting.
Couldn't quite figure it out . . . but just something about it.
Can you help me out here ???

Offline BillyB

« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Wifey wanted to know what I found so riveting.

ML, I'm with your wife on this one. Sorry.

Offline ML

« Reply #422 on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »

ML, I'm with your wife on this one. Sorry.

Billy, and others, rotate the pic 90 degrees to right.

Offline ML

« Reply #423 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
Best turn of good luck we have had in this process of getting wife settled into USA.

We needed to get her a 5th drivers license.  Don't ask . . . but she came on Student Visa, then it was extended, then marriage with filing for 2 year GC which involved first getting EAD, then 2 year Green Card, then filing for 10 year GC, then getting 1 year extension etc.

Each step meant getting renewal which was only good for the limited period covered by the newest document.

So last event was receipt of the 1 year extension letter which came a couple of months ago and her license was due to expire next week.

Our state is a stickler and will only give a new one year license whereas I have read on VisaJourney that some states gave 5 year or more DL right from the beginning.
And when she was at the window the guy gave her a stern talk about fact that if she didn't get the 10 year GC within the next year then she couldn't get a renewal next year . . . bla, bla, bla.

Then we moved to next station and waited to be called for picture taking.
Then wait for card production, lamination, etc.

I told spouse to be sure that they put one year from date of Green Card expiration, rather than one year from date on extension letter (which some states and even some offices within various states have done.)

She looked at the card and came rushing to me with a rather white face.

They had given her a 5 year DL !!!!!

So despite the state rules and the stern talk from the guy . . . he had lost his head and just punched in 5 years because that's what he was used to doing 99 percent of the time.

Wife is afraid we will get letter any day demanding the return of the 5 year DL, but I doubt anyone or their system will catch this.

This bit of good luck will save us perhaps 3-4 more renewals within the next 5 years.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #424 on: October 16, 2017, 09:53:31 AM »
Billy, and others, rotate the pic 90 degrees to right.

Nasty, but definitely an improvement!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541005
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 1877
Total: 1889

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM