It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Women's Day March 8 - ideas?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline eich

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Women's Day March 8 - ideas?
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »
     Onto a lighter topic. Of course everyone here knows about March 8 and the usual gift of flowers. But I am curious as to what the other more imaginative members here have done on International Women’s Day. I am aware of the importance of flowers in the FSU but I think something off the beaten path could possibly be very affective and memorable. Especially if one is attempting to rekindle as I am trying to do. I think it would be kind of fun/helpful to read about others experiences.
    Among many, I “fondly” recall one particular experience from 2008 while I was in Novorossiysk of which I would not recommend to anyone. By this time I had been communicating with this woman off/on for 3 months until we could manage a mutual time for a meeting. So we met there in Novorossiysk. Unfortunately things were soon getting a little strained b/w us due to her mother’s worry and our language differences. What’s more, March 8 was only one day away.
     So in the hope of lightening things up for Women’s Day I settled on a gift of tort that I knew she loved, gaudy flowers, and two bottles of wine. I chose Kindzmarauli, a popular Georgian wine from the Kakheti region that, like most wines from there, is a very deep red and sweet to semi sweet, expensive and of high quality. On that day while she and her mother were at work, I got past the security door and left the gifts at her door about 1 hour before they were due to be home. It really did seem like a good idea at the time.
     I waited for a response that did not come. Later I called her on her cell but I was unable to understand what she was saying to me; she was clearly upset. So I took a cab to her apartment building and quickly followed a resident through the security door (again) and ran up the stairs to their apartment that shared a hallway with three other apartments. What I came upon left me without words. The mother and girl friend were obviously angry and upset and shouting something amid what appeared to be a murder scene. Smashed tort, strewn mangled flowers, and blood red liquid splashed and smeared everywhere. The brother meanwhile stood by with a bemused look on his face and pointedly keeping himself uninvolved. Most likely errant local kids showing themselves a good time were responsible. It was then that I became aware of the curtain slowly lowering itself on the final act of this entire fiasco.
Life is just an empty room.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Women's Day March 8 - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:42:40 AM »
Funny story.  In Russia I'd never leave something like that in the open.  Usually someone will just steal it.

as for gifts it's like Valentine's day. Flowers, chocolates..the usual. but be different and give it a day early or something. and make sure you deliver them in person.

I never heard of that city Novorossiysk, had to look it up!  it's a coastal city by the sea, what's so bad about it?

Offline eich

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »
There is nothing wrong with it that I could tell. Some good views, nice city, and standing the Black Sea was quite a pleasant experience.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:48:55 AM »

Among many, I “fondly” recall one particular experience from 2008 while I was in Novorossiysk of which I would not recommend to anyone.

Oh I misread your sentence.  I thought you were referring to the city when you said you wouldn't recommend it, not your experience with the gifts.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
The mother and girl friend were obviously angry and upset and shouting something amid what appeared to be a murder scene. Smashed tort, strewn mangled flowers, and blood red liquid splashed and smeared everywhere. The brother meanwhile stood by with a bemused look on his face and pointedly keeping himself uninvolved. Most likely errant local kids showing themselves a good time were responsible. It was then that I became aware of the curtain slowly lowering itself on the final act of this entire fiasco.

When the curtain lowered, was that the last time the girl talked to you? Never found out who did it? I would think kids would drink the wine instead of splashing it everywhere.

Did you by chance give her an even amount of roses which is a no no or yellow roses which are for funerals?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline eich

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
   Other than to tell me to leave, no.
The flowers I do not remember as they were some kind of an assortment.  I do know about the flowers though, but I wonder if it is taken as seriously now as it was in the past given how traditions sometimes fade with time.
   I thought the same about the wine. It would actually have been better had they simply took it with them considering how expensive it was.

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
most women there  and here  take it seriuosly so make sure you do remember

red flowers , choclates and a gift or dinner is the go

or at least an e card between you and some florist flowers delivered when she is home

never leave things unattended , they will get eaten or stolen pretty quick ,

we rented a small bbq day spot back in 2010 , cooked our shashliks and ate them and salad , then took awalk  , leaving the food basket and supplies within the day cabana , only gone for an hour walking around the lake etc , came back to find the food was removed ...upon asking the manager a young bloke was produced to apologise ,

we where told he removed it to prevent rats , vermin etc from the area having afeed ...he looked like a scrawny rat and he had  eaten the food .     i was more amused by it than anything else , my wife was ropable , the manager offered to sack him , but i told him no , the boy looked hungry and i was happy to let him off the hook so to speak ,

never ever forgot that look of sheer scared this kid had when he was forced to front us by his manager

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline I/O

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
my wife was ropable

never ever forgot that look of sheer scared this kid had when he was forced to front us my wife

I can just imagine Mrs I/O going off if the circumstances were similar  :crackwhip:

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
most women there  and here  take it seriuosly so make sure you do remember

red flowers , choclates and a gift or dinner is the go

or at least an e card between you and some florist flowers delivered when she is home

Agreed . :)
Do not underestimate this day !
Also -- see comments in another recent thread about  unsolicited/unexpected/surprise etc anything being sent.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline southernX

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »

I can just imagine Mrs I/O going off if the circumstances were similar  :crackwhip:

lol , yeh , he was so scrawny and poor bugger looked like he needed several good feeds,

as i had bought the food and paid for the cabana , she relented and let me make the call

but it was a valuable lesson in how  direct and black and white punishement can be meted out if you stuff up over there , sort of like silent strike

it does not take much to be offside big time lol

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline alex330

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
Wife and I usually exchange travel related gifts or "experiences". This upcoming Woman's Day I have this surprise -

Offline I/O

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
it does not take much to be offside big time lol
Spent about 9 1/2 years in that space.... :rolleyes:

Offline southernX

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »
Spent about 9 1/2 years in that space.... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D  yes iv had the sin bin a few times , but it is a common thing ime knowing a few other blokes with fsu wives locally ,  that they can be firing off and stubborn as very quickly about something  that to me is minor bickies   

they love to torture you  :P :P  but there loyal as all hell and wont let you go , ;)

SX

Offline I/O

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
but there loyal as all hell and wont let you go
You've said that before and based on my observations, I still can't agree. I've seen far too many who are far to quick to take "steps" when it gets a bit tough - watching another one right now...

Offline southernX

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
You've said that before and based on my observations, I still can't agree. I've seen far too many who are far to quick to take "steps" when it gets a bit tough - watching another one right now...

well thats my experience with mine as well as several other local long term marriages here ...of course there are many that fall apart within a few years,

my experience is if you can build trust with each other [ survive ] the early years it will handle the ups and downs as you go along ......  however i think we all have had days /times when its rocky as hell and can go either way , patience and communication is the key then , no rash moves imo , just stay steady as and continue on as normal even if there stuck in stubborn gear big time  :D :D :D

SX

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
well OP could have dodged a bullet..  yeah the woman was right to get mad at all the mess.  but she couldn't see the gesture behind it and let him make amends.  As he said it was the last time they talked. 

Offline southernX

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »
well OP could have dodged a bullet..  yeah the woman was right to get mad at all the mess.  but she couldn't see the gesture behind it and let him make amends.  As he said it was the last time they talked.

that is agreat example of how cut and dried they can be

regardless of his intent she has clearly decided if he cant get that right he isnt worth further time and effort  :o

regardless of how nice bloke he may be or the lack of understanding re cultural differences he has blown it with her straight up ... move on & learn the lesson

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

regardless of how nice bloke he may be or the lack of understanding re cultural differences he has blown it with her straight up ... move on & learn the lesson

Regarding the concept of 'cultural differences,' by definition there must be at least two parties involved.

So doesn't this indicate that some of the women have no understanding of the cultural situation/ background of the man?

How can the man always be at fault?

And let's stay away from this crap that the man must woo the woman.

Most of the women are planning to come to the west, so they are the ones that should be preparing to adapt to the man's culture.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline JayH

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:29 PM »
Simple --it is the man that has to change his spots !!
FSUW = never wrong ! :)
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Jumper

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 10:59:50 PM »
Wife and I usually exchange travel related gifts or "experiences". This upcoming Woman's Day I have this surprise -

Awesome

Offline Jumper

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 11:00:58 PM »
It's mans day today.
What did you guys get?

And yes it's a rated PG site ML.
 :cluebat:

Offline southernX

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 11:21:54 PM »
ml Regarding the concept of 'cultural differences,' by definition there must be at least two parties involved.

true , to have any sort of difference there must be something else to compare to

So doesn't this indicate that some of the women have no understanding of the cultural situation/ background of the man?

yes totally it does imo ,

How can the man always be at fault?

well he is not always at fault ,its more the accepted social norms  within your  own country  in his learned experience & upbringing  in his own country what he did/does  or intends to do may be well acceptable , but in her country it is not .

And let's stay away from this crap that the man must woo the woman.

well id still think  he needs to , however id also say she as a willing participant , who wishes to marry and move overseas must be open to the experience and that includes some miss steps around social norms and acceptance of that imo

Most of the women are planning to come to the west, so they are the ones that should be preparing to adapt to the man's culture.

both must be willing to give 100% if its going to have any chance of success , even while she will have to make big changes , so will any prospective husband as you should know ml ...fail to do so at your marriages peril

any person in this pursuit who is not willing to adapt and accept is highly unlikly to have success , male or female  ;)

SX

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 02:48:25 AM »
Firstly, I also read that Novorossiysk was a city worth avoiding )))

It isn't - it's the major commercial port on Russia's Black Sea coast and the resort of  Gelendzhik - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelendzhik is close by. 

Forgetting I W D isn't wise - if you have a FSU partner ))

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 03:16:54 AM »

Where is that, Alex?  I know it's done in Western Australia, but I don't know about the same thing in your part of the world.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »
Several spots in the Caribbean offer such experiences with whale sharks.
 The most popular is likely about an hour south of Cancun,  near Playa Del Carmen/Rivera Maya, Mexico.
So my *guess* is Alex is going to the Caribbean, as it's a pretty reasonably short flight.

There are other places in various,seas/oceans as well though.

I've snorkled and dived a lot in the area a bit north of Cancun,  down past cozumel,playa, and tulum.
Also quite a few of the Caribbean islands.
furthest south was dutch Antilles and they have tours for swimming with the big fishes there  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM