It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My last night in good old USA, Ukraine here I come!  (Read 19005 times)

Offline lyndontom

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: My last night in good old USA, Ukraine here I come!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
Steve, you are indeed staying in the same apartment I was on my penultimate trip to Kharkiv. Good memories, but it certainly looks like you guys are having a livelier time! Enjoy the remainder of your trip, seems like everything has gone to plan and beyond.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:07 AM »
Hi guys,

This is my last post from Ukraine.  I am at KBP, waiting to board my flight.

The K1 visa application arrived at the Kyiv embassy on Jan 10.  T finished her medical and will get the police report this week.  Interview is Jan 28.

I'm a bit sad now, actually.  T' sister gave me a nice farewell gift - a card signed by her family with a touching message and a framed photo collage with pictures from the past two months.  Due to the K1 process I will not see them again for a year, maybe longer.

It's like a chapter has closed.  A new one will not start until next month, when T arrives to the states (knock on wood).  Meanwhile I'll be busy at work - an engineering project that needs to be finished by the end of the month.

I loved my time here, even the roads past Dnipro toward Mariupol and the checkpoints.  Well, perhaps not the one where we had to wait in a cold hut for 30 minutes while they ran our background checks.

Anyhoo, here's to 2019!  Good luck and Udachi!

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
Ships in the night.  I should have shook your hand I was on the 2pm British airways flight out of borispol.

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
Hi guys,

This is my last post from Ukraine.  I am at KBP, waiting to board my flight.

I hope you mean -for now !

Steve -- your posts show empathy and interest --not just in your lady- but Ukraine itself. You post with respect.
Not surprising really-- as your posts across a lot of threads show you are are a sensible guy -- and need to be read by others new or inexperienced .  :clapping:
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
DON’T PANIC!

I would wait awhile and then in your chats or emails talk about YOUR job and then ask in return how HER job is going, or if the date is near a Ukrainian national holiday ask if her company gives the day off, and use as a segway to ask more questions about her job...
you could always ask about her education, and then ask about after graduation...

it could be something simple like she was just laid off, or she hasn’t been paid in such a long while that she just quit, etc or just didn’t feel like talking about something that may be a negative subject

take a deep breath...
you're just beginning to learn how "weird" Russian women can be, don't worry, you'll learn MUCH MORE as time goes on!!!!!

Offline ML

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
Krimster, you posted in wrong thread.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
Update:

T had her interview this morning at the embassy in Kyiv.  She was approved!!!   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

She said there were 2 ahead of her, each taking over 15 minutes with many questions asked.   Her interview was about 5 minutes with only 6 questions.

She went to a hair salon afterwards and then went to several stores to try on dresses for the wedding.  So far she sent me photos of 1 yellow, 2 black, 2 green, 1 peach, 1 white and 1 grey dress.   The yellow is our favorite for now.

I noticed that she also tried on matching shoes - all of them had heels.  One was a platform heel.   She is already 7 cm taller than me.  I will need to get platform shoes or get our photos taken in perspective, like for the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings.  :D

Offline msmob

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
Congrats !

IF she wears the sort of platforms SC wears  - she is tiny - 13cm or more  - you may be at her neck  level or lower ....

No doubt ML will pop up with some advice ))
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:01:47 PM by msmob »

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Congratulations!

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
Update:

T had her interview this morning at the embassy in Kyiv.  She was approved!!!   :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

She said there were 2 ahead of her, each taking over 15 minutes with many questions asked.   Her interview was about 5 minutes with only 6 questions.

She went to a hair salon afterwards and then went to several stores to try on dresses for the wedding.  So far she sent me photos of 1 yellow, 2 black, 2 green, 1 peach, 1 white and 1 grey dress.   The yellow is our favorite for now.

I noticed that she also tried on matching shoes - all of them had heels.  One was a platform heel.   She is already 7 cm taller than me.  I will need to get platform shoes or get our photos taken in perspective, like for the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings.  :D

Excellent news Steve, best of luck to you both on the rest of your visa journey!  :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline JayH

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping:

Congratulations .

On the heels -- don't worry about it. Obviously enough it does not worry her! :)

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:25 AM »
Update:

T is here!!!

She arrived yesterday in Boston via Istanbul (Turkish Airlines).  The plane landed 30 minutes early - she passed immigration control and collected her luggage before the scheduled arrival time.  :clapping:

She was the first in line at border control.  When she informed them she was here on a K1 visa they took her to an interview room.  She waited about 5 minutes while they reviewed the visa package and then they questioned her for a few minutes - what is her nationality, does she have any other citizenship, is she bringing any fruits or vegetables, how much money did she bring with her.  Then they told her to remind me that we have 90 days to marry and submit the adjustment of status paperwork.

On the drive from the airport, she wanted some coffee.  We were on the Mass Pike - Interstate 90 - which is a toll highway.  We stopped at a rest area that had a Starbucks, but it was closed.  We went through the McDonald's drive through instead, getting a McCafe Latte.   She said it tasted similar to latte's she gets from WOG (World of Gas) stations.  Just 3 times more expensive...

We have a free day today to go shopping, visit friends or just laze around the house.  Tomorrow we need to head to my local town hall to fill out the wedding intention paperwork (in Massachusetts there is a 3 day waiting period to get a marriage license) and then go to the social security office.

Friday we are heading to Boston City Hall for our wedding.

Offline ML

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2019, 09:32:31 PM »

Friday we are heading to Boston City Hall for our wedding.

WHAT ?????????
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
So mL  are you thinking take a 60 day test drive before commiting to buy.  I've certainly seen women change in a new environment.   Well worth observing first.

Offline Gator

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »
So mL  are you thinking take a 60 day test drive before commiting to buy.  I've certainly seen women change in a new environment.   Well worth observing first.

I skimmed Steve's posts, and it seems his head is on straight.  The age disparity is smaller than most.  She is 39 and should be fairly certain about what she wants in her new life.   

Compared to my preferences, he has not spent much time with his bride.  However, another 60 days is no guarantee of success.   

If he has all the positive feelings, go for it.  His determination shows confidence and strength that will impress his bride.  If he delays it, the woman may feel he is not committed, imparting the same feeling in her.  Commitment is a two-way street. 

Congratulations Steve!!!!!  We wish you the best.  Thanks for sharing.  Photos please. 

Offline ML

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
In 2 months or sooner . . . they may both realize she really doesn't like living in USA.

Yeah, yeah . . . I know he will say then he will just go live with her in Ukraine.

A lot of working age people are immigrating into Ukraine and finding well paid jobs; especially those from Western developed countries.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
My fault on The Feb 15 wedding date.  My concern was more for the other issues with being here - medical coverage, adjustment of status so she can work and drive a car, etc.  My thinking was the sooner we get officially married, the sooner the rest of the process can be completed. 

This is the first time she is in the states and the first time marrying.  She was in a long term cohabitation relationship before, but never married.  We had a long talk this morning and the combination of both is a little overwhelming for her now.

We are going to delay the wedding and take some time and see how things go.  It's good having her here finally, and we'll see.

Offline ML

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
My fault on The Feb 15 wedding date.  My concern was more for the other issues with being here - medical coverage, adjustment of status so she can work and drive a car, etc.  My thinking was the sooner we get officially married, the sooner the rest of the process can be completed. 

This is the first time she is in the states and the first time marrying.  She was in a long term cohabitation relationship before, but never married.  We had a long talk this morning and the combination of both is a little overwhelming for her now.

We are going to delay the wedding and take some time and see how things go.  It's good having her here finally, and we'll see.

Logic prevails.  :-)

Offline Gator

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 12:35:14 PM »
We had a long talk this morning and the combination of both is a little overwhelming for her now.

We are going to delay the wedding and take some time and see how things go.

Good sign.  A woman with the objective of receiving a Green Card would not have delayed the wedding.   Feeling overwhelmed is understandable; she just arrived so she is probably still experiencing jet lag besides culture shock.

I question why the two of you had not discussed timing before.  You should now wonder what else might pop up?  Have you discussed employment opportunities, particularly the difficulty that many RW have at first?  How thoroughly did the two of you discuss your lifestyle?  Does she want children? 

What type of work would she do after you marry?  Does she need her education validated?

There is much good advice here at RWD.  Start by reading:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=19920.msg410621#msg410621

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »
A bit of advice go meet your friends with her I found that takes the pressure off.  A few bbq s  so it's not just her and you.  Plus if you have friends with fsu wives go out and meet them some where informal like a bar or bowling alley so she can blow off some pressure in Russian. I love watching nice Russian speaking women having a laugh together

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Good sign.  A woman with the objective of receiving a Green Card would not have delayed the wedding.   Feeling overwhelmed is understandable; she just arrived so she is probably still experiencing jet lag besides culture shock.

I question why the two of you had not discussed timing before.  You should now wonder what else might pop up?  Have you discussed employment opportunities, particularly the difficulty that many RW have at first?  How thoroughly did the two of you discuss your lifestyle?  Does she want children? 

We discussed the wedding date via text.  She was fine with it on paper, even going shopping for a proper dress and shoes (not a wedding dress, but a nice dress for the wedding).

The reality of it hit her yesterday and hence the long talk and taking things slower.

We have a similar lifestyle and interests.  She prefers suburban life vs city life, and loves to travel.  Our next destination is Peru.   She has no children, but they may be in our future.))

She runs a store in Ukraine with help from her parents.  They are keeping an eye on it now while she's here.  She is setting up to run it remotely, with a couple of trips a year to handle things onsite, once we marry and she gets her work permit.

She is fluent in English, and we are meeting friends and family now. 

The only Russians/Ukrainians I know are two bank tellers at the Ukrainian Federal Credit Union, which has a branch near my work (the only one in the Boston area - headquartes in Rochester NY). 

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »
Lack of Ukrainians can be sorted.  Get your most eligable male friend what's app some of her single female friends.  Exactly what happened in my work friendship group .  4 marriages to belarus

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »
Marriage is a strange thing my cousin was engaged for over 10 years and he bolted at the alter and finance went on her honeymoon alone.  I'm what's apping a 2 times married Ukrainian so I would be her 3rd who's already checking out champagne wedding dresses and we haven't met yet because I keep having to sitting new work technical exams.

Offline ML

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
Plus if you have friends with fsu wives go out and meet them some where informal like a bar or bowling alley so she can blow off some pressure in Russian. I love watching nice Russian speaking women having a laugh together

I would advise go very carefully with this idea.

Highly advised that you first determine the mindset of those gals and how they feel about USA  . . . and about their USA husbands.

Those with a bad attitude toward either can really be harmful to a new gal.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
I disagree.  People have their viewpoints, regardless of what others think. 

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1857
Total: 1868

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM