It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Cost of Living in Moscow  (Read 4575 times)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Cost of Living in Moscow
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »
Hi again guys!

Here is one for you that have been around the block or your ladies may be able to answer. 

Now I saw that the average monthly salary in Moscow is about 32000RUB or at 70:1 now just under $500/month.  So I asked my FSUW today what she spends on groceries every month.  She told me about $500/month!  Ugh!  She has no children so it is just her and the cat.  She owns her apartment so no rent but yikes!  She tells me she'll have chicken cutlets or sausages or something we'd consider inexpensive for dinner.  I have watched some videos on RealRussia about the cost of food and it seemed to me that meat was similar and vegetables were about 1/3 of US cost.

I know the Rouble has tanked recently but has it gotten that expensive?

Obviously I believe her but we all know the same thing can cost various amounts due to brand, organic, where it came from...I'm just trying to learn here what life is like in Moscow before I go in April!

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
Re: Cost of Living in Moscow
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »
There are some things you need to understand. First of all salaries in Moscow depend very much on the job. If she has a normal office job, expect her to make more than the $500, $1000 to $1500 is more likely.
The average salary is kept low because most people receveive less on paper to avoid taxes, apart from that there are also many low paid jobs.

Cost of living and prices of groceries depend largely on where people live and shop. The same products can be half the price if you are outside the rich districts. Last September prices of groceries were about half of Dutch prices, which means they are probably comparable to USA.

As for what people eat, prepare yourself that Russian kitchen is very simple and straightforward regarding ingredients. That means people do not eat complicated or expensive foods.
Moscow is for Russians an expensive place. However salaries are also better as elsewhere.

Understand that Russians do not save a lot of money. That does not mean they do not save, they just spend it on high quality products once they reach the desired amount.
Keeping money is something Russians have all too much bad experience with. If anything they invest in real estate or gold.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:26:50 AM »
In the vein of the sound advice that one should never attempt to rescue a swimmer who is not drowning, I'm guessing that you have not yet traveled to Russia?

As for grocery prices:

http://russianreport.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/russia-and-ukraine-war-plus-sanctions-equals-inflation/

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Russia&city=Moscow

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/moscow

(foto: anna_pro_pro.livejournal)

As the Ruble continues to tumble, Russians are converting them into dollars, or buying things now which can be stored and used later. Consumers appear to feel that purchasing an item now protects them against tomorrow's inflationary increase on items.

It is no longer entirely accurate to say that Russians do not save or prepare for the future. They do these days, but as Shadow correctly noted, perhaps not for the same reasons that are typical in the West. Russians now save, but in goods or tangible assets, not in bank accounts. If you know that a can of tea will cost more tomorrow and the Ruble is shrinking today, you purchase two cans today: one for today and the other for next month.

We have plenty of "big box" stores about Moscow but most are in the outskirts, or at large central locations. If she is a single person without a car, then likely she shops are several of the endless small markets found in neighborhoods.

One successful chain of small to mid size grocery markets is "Dixy." Here are the current Moscow advertised specials, 27 January to 02 February:

There are at present, 286 Dixy markets in Moscow alone. You can find their weekly adverts online (http://dixy.ru/actions), or subscribe via VK.

In summer, the number of street and neighborhood kiosks selling fresh produce from the "Stans" south of Russia will literally double or triple.

I'm just trying to learn here what life is like in Moscow before I go in April

There is a real risk in trying to analyze from afar. Go, and learn. Moscow is an amazing city with lots of life to soak up. Patiently learning about her culture on your trip will go far to help weather the eventual misunderstands that are a normal part of any cross cultural marriage.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:58:04 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:52 AM »

Keeping money is something Russians have all too much bad experience with.

I was going to make a wise crack about the now near worthless rouble...
But I see that I've already been beaten to it!

:ROFL:

Offline Chicagoguy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
Maybe it has always been so but I never noticed. Fairy [P&G] dish soap is 79.90 Rubles. I like the .90. Maybe like our gas prices. Should be .99.  Soon, I imagine.

Usually I just shop at small stores similar to 7-11 for convenience. 3 within steps of my wife's flat. For bigger purchases it seems others are buying.

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »
Food in Russia is much more expensive than in the US. Moscow is probably one of the most expensive cities.
It also depends what she buys- a person can cook at home, use seasonal products (no fresh tomatoes in winter but beets and cabbage) or she can buy gourmet  food.

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »

It also depends what she buys- a person can cook at home, use seasonal products (no fresh tomatoes in winter but beets and cabbage) or she can buy gourmet  food.

The term 'gourmet' is a bit misleading as silly little Putin has shot himself in the foot by banning EU foodstuff imports.

According to the Russian government, beetroots will make an excellent substitute for the now unaffordable imported cosmetic products.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
The term 'gourmet' is a bit misleading as silly little Putin has shot himself in the foot by banning EU foodstuff imports.

According to the Russian government, beetroots will make an excellent substitute for the now unaffordable imported cosmetic products.

You're a one trick pony it seems.  Every damn thread you are spouting off this nonsense.  Why not keep these remarks in the many discussions already taking place about Putin and his politics?  Or is that all you have to offer here?

Edited to add:  Damn dude, looking over your posts and you really don't have anything else to offer here besides Putin hate.  All of your posts are along the same lines.  You are obsessed man.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:54:16 AM by LiveFromUkraine »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM