It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Service engine soon light  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Service engine soon light
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
We bought a chevy trailblazer for the wife and daughter to drive a few weeks ago. Recently, the service engine soon light went on. A local auto parts store did a check and found a code P0440. Acording to them and several car repair places, this has something to do with venting gasoline fumes from the gas tank. They all say there is nothing actually wrong with the engine.

How to explain this to wife?

She thinks the vehicle is dangerous to drive and is especially worried about daughter driving it to class.

I know this light can come on for hundreds of reasons. It could be just a worn out gas cap, something to do with a charcoal canister, loose connection or whatever. They need to do some kind of a smoke test to check for possible vapor leaks.

Do we have any mechanics out there?  Any help

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Service engine soon light
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
Do we have any mechanics out there?  Any help
Try disconnecting battery terminal for about 45 minutes.  Then reconnect and see if light comes back on.

Offline kmin

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
My folks have a Chevy Envoy.  The check engine light came on.  They brought the vehicle to the dealership.  $2,000 later they had "fixed" the problem.  On the way back home the service light came on again.  They have left it alone and it has continued to run for the last 3 years no problem with the "service engine soon" light on.

If it was my vehicle I would just ignore it.  To me the service engine light is just a scam.

I would suggest that you disconnect the battery and wait a minute.  Reconnect the battery to the car.  This should reset the service engine light and the computer system of the car.

The service engine light comes on for any reason and most of the time there is nothing wrong to begin with. 

Regular maintenance and checking the fluid levels should be enough to prevent any issue with a vehicle.  If there is something seriously wrong you should know by other gauges/lights (low oil pressure, overheating, etc) and loud/weird noises coming from the vehicle.

If you are still worried about it take the vehicle to an auto parts store and have them run a computer on it to tell you what the code says (free service from most auto parts stores).  Never take it to the dealership unless they are going to cover it under warranty.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
Wayne-

Try not to top-off the gas tank next time you re-fuel...see if that helps. There's an overfill/spillage channel in some of these automobile that discards excess fuel and it may be picking up the fumes from that.

Otherwise, you might also want to check your lines in case you have a cracked, pinched, or plugged lines coming from your gas tank. Last but not least, check the integrity of the o-rings on your gas cap. If worn, maybe replacing the gas cap is all you'll need to do. Make sure it conforms to manufacturer's specification.

Look at the bright side (always), at least your wifey or kid are spared from having to endlessly argue with the car's computer that a door is not a jar!

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:23:42 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
Wayne-

Try not to top-off the gas tank next time you re-fuel...see if that helps. There's an overfill/spillage channel in some of these automobile that discards excess fuel and it may be picking up the fumes from that.

Otherwise, you might also want to check your lines in case you have a cracked, pinched, or plugged lines coming from your gas tank. Last but not least, check the integrity of the o-rings on your gas cap. If worn, maybe replacing the gas cap is all you'll need to do. Make sure it conforms to manufacturer's specification.

Look at the bright side (always), at least your wifey or kid are spared from having to endlessly argue with the car's computer that a door is not a jar!

Good luck.

Don't know if its your problem Wayne but, often, it is the gas cap when engine checks out. I didn't believe it initially either. Someone took the time to 'splain to me. It's a perfectly good sensor getting fooled by a worn gas cap. The gas cap is usually the cheaper solution than to make repeated trips to the mechanic

Offline Misha

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
They all say there is nothing actually wrong with the engine.

She thinks the vehicle is dangerous to drive and is especially worried about daughter driving it to class.

We have the same issue with our Subaru. The "Check Engine" light will come one every few months. Usually it just goes away, otherwise it needs a bit of tweaking. I have driven it hundreds and hundreds of miles even with it on. Just as long as mine does not blink, it won't cause major problems.

Offline Steamer

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

You don't explain this to the wife. You praise her for bringing this to your attention and as the King Kong man you take care of it.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Try a match, when you hear a "Boom" you have found the leak )))
My ex-wife's Servie Soon light was always on too but she'd never let me fix that either, wonder why?????
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Kuna

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »

You don't explain this to the wife. You praise her for bringing this to your attention and as the King Kong man you take care of it.

This is the best answer BY FAR!!!

There is no way to explain it to her...  your best best IMHO opinion is to praise her (as steamer said) and give her your car and you take hers (or buy her a new one) because "You need to feel confident that she will never break down...."

btw... do NOT mention any little bumps or scraps on her car...  it's not worth it.

:ROFL:

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Even if she totals the damn thing just look at her and say "Hey, you look GREAT!!"
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Jumper

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

so..
does putting electrical tap over the light count?
like thousands do?

:ROFL: 

the  code he brough up is most  likely for a gas cap ,not on tightly...
he really should be able to explain that one?

If it comtinues..
electrical tape is less expensive than a new car.

;D

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
Wayne,
I  am not a big fan of ignoring the check engine light for a long time.  If you get in a habit of it you might find that in the future it will mask a serious problem that will be expensive.

I looked up the error code on my OBD2 reader and indeed it reads "Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction".   If there are any additional error codes or sub-codes it will be more specific as to what sensor is causing the problem.  Modern American vehicles have an enormous amount of sensors both for EPA reasons as well as nowdays the sensors are used by the engine computer to control fuel mixture, ignition timing, etc. etc.

One of the problems that sometimes exists (as is my current case with a Toyota truck) is that when the computer senses a certain level of malfunction it transitions to full rich fuel mixture to prevent burning the valves, etc.  I don't know how your vehicle works so can't really say for sure.  When my Toyota goes to full rich because of an error, the fuel economy really goes to hell.

What I have done for the past 50 years is to purchase the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL for every vehicle I have owned.  They are expensive, but since I do all my own work on the cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. it has saved me a lot of money in the long run.  I do not recommend the Climer and other 3rd party service manuals.  They are too generic and not enough detail. 

What you might want to do for starters is to look at the vacuum line diagram under the hood and physically inspect all the rubber hoses.  I doubt there is a problem with the canister.  It is most likely a sensor or a cracked hose, or a hose disconnected.  Finding out what sensor is turning the light on will be found in the factory service manual.  I don't know where else to get the info other than a dealer.  The sensor might be inexpensive.

Good luck

Doug

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:55:34 PM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »
The CEL comes on for a reason. And it usually relates to an emissions problem. It can be minor, or if ignored, become quite serious. I know that in NY and NJ, you cannot pass the state emissions test if your CEL is on. Now for your code, it can be as simple as a worn gas cap. Happens all the time.  Or a pinched/broken vacuum hose, usually found when they do a smoke test. If it helps, do a google on Chevy code p0440. There is a good one on yahoo answers but some reason cannot past the link. Another thing to check is there is a small flap just inside the gas filler neck that opens when you push in the gas hose and closes when you remove it. Sometimes it does not close all the way. Stick a small screwdriver in there and see if it is working smoothly. I don't know the year of your truck or the miles. If less than 150,000 I doubt if its the engine itself. Most likely, if your lucky, its just the cap or a vacuum hose someplace. Hey, put your head in the engine compartment and poke around. Wifey will think you are a hero.

Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
Hey, put your head in the engine compartment and poke around. Wifey will think you are a hero.

Also kick a tire.

As Jumper said, the simplest solution is to put piece of black electrical tape over the light on the instrument panel.  If you can still see the red light; then use a larger piece of tape.   8)

But depends on the general condition of the vehicle, what it is used for, etc.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1871
Total: 1882

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM