It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Is it true there is an imbalance in the men-to-women ratio in Russia?  (Read 22371 times)

Offline lakecreek

I heard only a couple mention there is a discrepancy of Russian men for Russian women. Because of this matter, I have been told this is the reason why Russian women are going outside their country for love and marriage. Also have been told if you go to Russia and your a guy you might get women approaching you to see if you might be a potential partner they are looking for. Anyways I'm planning to go to Saint Peterburg as a tourist of course. I don't think I would be looked as a potential partner by women over there.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Is it true there is an imbalance in the men-to-women ratio in Russia?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
Don't believe it.

Eduard?

Offline Chicagoguy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
My wife said she would never marry a Russian man. But she also says at her age they are mostly dead :)

Offline Gator

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »
I heard only a couple mention there is a discrepancy of Russian men for Russian women.

Demographic data show that the population of Russian men and women are virtually equal for the age group of 21-40.

Some observers (such as those in the business of matching American men with Russian women) claim a significant imbalance because a number of Russian men: 
-    are not interested in marriage,
-    abuse alcohol,
-    do not work (or earn a low income),
-    and/or, (fill in the blank)

DOES IT MATTER?  No.  What matters is meeting good RW. 

Because of this matter, I have been told this is the reason why Russian women
are going outside their country for love and marriage.

Some RW leave  Russia for the opportunity of a better life, and economics is part of their equation.  Some RW leave for love (and the opportunity for a better life).  You choose. 

Also have been told if you go to Russia and your a guy you might get women
approaching you to see if you might be a potential partner they are looking for.

Happens all the time at certain nightclubs.  They probably charge $100-200 or more.   ;)

Anyways I'm planning to go to Saint Peterburg as a tourist of course. I don't think I would be looked as a potential partner by women over there.

Why do you belittle yourself?  Confidence is important when interacting with RW. 

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
IMHO, you couldn't have chosen a better city to go, see the sights, take in the culture and just enjoy yourself. There isn't an abundance of English but, there is some. Truly, St Pete is a world class city and if you do not enjoy yourself and meet many women it'll be your own fault. They are many most everywhere and do not hesitate to introduce yourself to those that may interest you.

The idea of ratios yadda, yadda, yadda, why would they be interested blah, blah, blah means nothing. The only thing you need know is you are in a magical place and the ground zero of babedom.  When is your trip?

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
The only thing you need know is you are in a magical place and the ground zero of babedom.  When is your trip?

lol!!!!!!!!!

I havn't been to st pete,so unfortuantely can't confirm
but agree the OP should just go for the experience, and yes while there talk to folks.

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
Why do you belittle yourself?  Confidence is important when interacting with RW.

True. Only issue will likely be is the language barrier. I don't know how to speak any Russian.

Before going out there I will buy me a good translator to help me get around. I seen photos of Petersburg, it looks like a very large city with a variety of events and probably good food.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
True. Only issue will likely be is the language barrier. I don't know how to speak any Russian.

Then learn some!  It's not that difficult to learn the absolute basics - hello, goodbye, please, thank you, "Excuse me, do you speak English?" and "where's the toilet?"  :D

Before going out there I will buy me a good translator to help me get around.

Electronic or human?  As was posted earlier in the Odessa thread, most younger people speak English to some degree, even though many are scared to use it.  You can guarantee that many staff in agencies (dating or accommodation), the palaces (Hermitage etc), tourist shops or kiosks, and banks, speak English (many of them fluently).  The only times I really needed the little bit of Russian language that I do speak was when buying food in the "produkti" shops.

I seen photos of Petersburg, it looks like a very large city with a variety of events and probably good food.

Yes, the food is good, but you don't go to St Petersburg for the events, you go there for the sights.  It's the most beautiful city in the world, and the girls aren't too bad either (not as many tens as in Moscow, but then it's got less than half the capital's population).  Unless you're only 5 feet tall and weigh 300 pounds there should be a woman for you somewhere!

Offline calmissile

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
Interesting topic.

I attended a free seminar in the LA area today that was put on by Mark Davis of European Dream Connections  (commercial member).
This subject came up in the Q&A session. There were young Ukrainian wives that fielded answers to questoins about ratios, etc.
I don't recall the answer to the ratio questions but there was a much more telling answer to what leads up to this question.

The question was why are FSU women seeking foreign husbands?
The answers from the women were that the FSU women are seeking long term family commitments (marriage) and the single local men do not want this.
And why should they?  They can have a different girlfriend every month if they want to.  Why settle down and make a commitment if they don't have to!

Of course alcohol abuse was mentioned but the women stated that the main reason is because they cannot find a local man that wants marriage and commitment.
Based upon their answers it would seem that a WM making it clear that he is seriously looking for marrige will go a long way to getting their attention.

Just thought I would pass this along from todays seminar.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:16:24 PM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
St P is an excellent city to visit, the most western of all Russian cities. Of course the women are even more beautiful in Moscow so Sp P is a great place to start and graduate to Moscow when you gain more confidence.  :D

Seriously, Peter is great and you'll have an awesome time.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Interesting topic.

I attended a free seminar in the LA area today that was put on by Mark Davis of European Dream Connections  (commercial member).
This subject came up in the Q&A session. There were young Ukrainian wives that fielded answers to questoins about ratios, etc.
I don't recall the answer to the ratio questions but there was a much more telling answer to what leads up to this question.

The question was why are FSU women seeking foreign husbands?
The answers from the women were that the FSU women are seeking long term family commitments (marriage) and the single local men do not want this.
And why should they?  They can have a different girlfriend every month if they want to.  Why settle down and make a commitment if they don't have to!

Of course alcohol abuse was mentioned but the women stated that the main reason is because they cannot find a local man that wants marriage and commitment.
Based upon their answers it would seem that a WM making it clear that he is seriously looking for marrige will go a long way to getting their attention.

Just thought I would pass this along from todays seminar.

So in comparing Russian women with American women would you say that Russian women are more family focus toward marriage than Americans women? The drinking issue I have heard is a big problem over there.

I heard about Moscow, extremely large city wit ha population around 12 million. Whoa!! I'm sure there is some gorgeous beauties there that would cause me to faint.  ;)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
So in comparing Russian women with American women would you say that Russian women are more family focus toward marriage than Americans women? The drinking issue I have heard is a big problem over there.

I heard about Moscow, extremely large city wit ha population around 12 million. Whoa!! I'm sure there is some gorgeous beauties there that would cause me to faint.  ;)

I really cannot comment with authority on Russian women however, from what I have read on the forum, the culture is nearly identical to Ukriane.  From what I gather from reading, the main difference is that Russia has an improved economy compared to Ukraine.  This in itself might mean that fewer woman are willing to immigrate to a foreign country than in earlier times.

From what I gather from many,  many emails and Skype chats with Ukrainian women there  are two reasons they are seeking foreign husbands.  It does not appear that there is a large bias in the genders in the age groups under 30 yrs old.  Of course the older folks have a different issue.  The Soviet Union lost millions of men during WW II, making eligible husbands more rare.

The first reason is that they are seeking a foreign husband is because the single men do not want to get married, and once they are married, many of them leave their wives to live a single life again.  You wil note the huge amount of single women on dating sites that are single moms with at least one child at home.

The second reason that Ukrainian women are seeking foreign husbands is because of the economy.  If you can imagine working for $200/month and having to live with your relatives because you cannot afford a seperate apartment, you get the idea of how life is there.  During the past year, I have heard more and more stories from FSUW that can not find any job and the women with adult children living at home state that their children cannot find any kind of job either.  I guess there are exceptions in Kiev and perhaps Odessa, but my experience is mostly with FSUW that live in smaller cities and villages.

I do not get the feeling that FSUW are any more dedicated to become family oriented wives than AW.  It appears to me that they are just much more desperate because the men that are single and available in the FSU just do not want to get married.  They prefer to play the field..... and are very successful at it.   LOL
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
The Soviet Union lost millions of men during WW II, making eligible husbands more rare.

Is this really relevant anymore (in the current marriage scene)?

Any surviving dudes (and gals) would be in their mid 80s and older.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
As noted here above, there is indeed a surplus of women, if you are in to the contestants of this years Eurovision....

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Chemist

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 05:29:11 AM »
Is this really relevant anymore (in the current marriage scene)?

Any surviving dudes (and gals) would be in their mid 80s and older.

I tend to think it is because older generations will always have an influence on the younger generations.  A woman living in the same apartment as her mother and babushka will likely be indoctrinated with the idea that marriage minded men are rare in the FSU.  I read about it all the time in my letters.

Offline alex330

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:48 AM »
When I first began looking I read all the agency bs and fell into the trap about the women versus men ratio. A good friend who makes it his life's work to poke holes in everything pointed out that this was simply not the case at all and provided info to back it up. The ratio of men to women is pretty even.

Last year new information and studies have started to come out though. It seems the demographics in the FSU are once again tilting in favor of the WM. Heart attacks, AIDS, TB, alcoholism, violence, the erosion of families and the economy are once again taking their toll on the Russian males and family units.

The article states that the population decline "is more than three times the death toll World War I inflicted on Imperial Russia." Maybe some members with more cultural and economic insight can comment but it seems the women still have many reasons to keep searching abroad. Locally I am seeing more and more RW marrying men. Many are not coming in on K1 or K3 VISA's so doubt there is an easy way to track the numbers.

Summary and full article links below.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136511/nicholas-eberstadt/the-dying-bear

http://www.aei.org/files/2011/11/02/-eberstadtthedyingbear_194331985869.pdf

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:18:35 AM by alex330 »

Offline alex330

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »

I cannot speak for the entire population of women but I would say that yes, my Ukrainian wife and her friends are much more family oriented than AW. They all want to get married and all want children. The few that are not married are feeling the pressure. The RW that we know who have moved to the US are all starting to have children.

The drinking is a problem. If it is cold outside you should have a little vodka to warm up. If you are sick, a little vodka.  Instead of several layers of clothing some guys we know that work construction start the morning with vodka.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:53:50 AM by alex330 »

Offline Muzh

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
I cannot speak for the entire population of women but I would say that yes, my Ukrainian wife and her friends are much more family oriented than AW. They all want to get married and all want children. The few that are not married are feeling the pressure. The RW that we know who have moved to the US are all starting to have children.

The drinking is a problem. If it is cold outside you should have a little vodka to warm up. If you are sick, a little vodka.  Instead of several layers of clothing some guys we know that work construction start the morning with vodka.

I'm sorry, you lost me.

You said drinking is a problem.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline alex330

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
I'm sorry, you lost me.

You said drinking is a problem.

If you are on the East Coast it is already afternoon so you are good to drink as much as you want  ;)
If you are in Cali or Hawaii it is probably a bit early for the vodka...

Offline Muzh

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
If you are on the East Coast it is already afternoon so you are good to drink as much as you want  ;)
If you are in Cali or Hawaii it is probably a bit early for the vodka...

Ahh, gotcha.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline BC

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Ahh, gotcha.

Which means we here in Europe should be passing out about now..

Offline Muzh

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
Lucky you. I have 15 minutes before QT and head home. Sapphire martini with a twist of basil.

Offline BC

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
Lucky you. I have 15 minutes before QT and head home. Sapphire martini with a twist of basil.

Cuba Libre here.. and still kicking all the while....

Offline Shadow

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
The only problem with drinking is there is never enough Vodka.

Recently in Germany saw they sold Jelstini, Gorbachew, Putinov.... only none of them was 40% so we could not buy them...
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Milz713

Re: Is it true there is an imbalance in the men-to-women ratio in Russia?
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »
I was in Peter last June and it is truely an amazing city!  Tons of beauty and history.  If you are not crazy about Russian food there are about the same amount of McDonald's as Chicago not to mention subway, burger king, KFC, and pizza hut.  Don't let these guys fool you,  90% of the people I talked to either don't know English or won't speak English.  I was with a native so it made life very easy. Just make sure you fit Pushkin and Peterhof into the schedule.  There are many tourists there also from many different corners of the world.  When you graduate to Moscow you will need track shoes to keep up because everyone is in a hurry to go someplace..

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541010
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1910
Total: 1921

+-Recent Posts

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM