It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1075537 times)

Offline Steamer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2250 on: January 28, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
Yep
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2251 on: January 28, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »

No, they're the "freedom fighters" struggling to rid themselves of the tyranny of the illegal government in Kiev.

The government in Kyiv is not illegal.  It was legally elected pursuant to Ukraine's constitution.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Steamer

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2252 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:43 PM »
It was a mob take over.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2253 on: January 28, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »
No it wasn't.  Yanukovych was unpopular because of his corruption.  Ukrainians were fairly united about that, both in the East and the West.  Corruption had grown to extremes during his presidency.

All of the politicians now in the Rada, and the president, were elected.  Poroshenko is the first Ukrainian president to be elected by a plurality across the country (i.e., not a divided vote).  Note -I am not a supporter of any Ukrainian politician, however, those are the facts. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Steamer

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2254 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
Yes Yanukovich was crooked and unpopular but he was run out of town by a mob.

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2255 on: January 28, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »

It doesn't matter.  The current government was legally elected.  Get over it!
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2256 on: January 28, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »

Well he robbed their country blind and thumbed his nose at them to add insult to injury.  Clearly he did order Berkut or someone to shoot protestors dead so what would you expect Ukraine to do?  Throw him a party?

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2257 on: January 28, 2015, 08:04:34 PM »

No he wasn't.  He chose to run away.

Offline Steamer

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2258 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »
Well he robbed their country blind and thumbed his nose at them to add insult to injury.  Clearly he did order Berkut or someone to shoot protestors dead so what would you expect Ukraine to do?  Throw him a party?

So you admit it was a coup.

Offline Steamer

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2259 on: January 28, 2015, 08:08:01 PM »

At the point of a gun.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2260 on: January 28, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »

So you admit it was a coup.

No I did not say that.  He resigned by leaving.  Had he not left he would have been arrested and he would be sitting in jail facing some serious charges.  Either way due to dereliction of duty and numerous violations of the laws of his land Ukrainians had a legal right to elect a new government and they did.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2261 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »

Sure, he chose to leave because he understood his life was in jeopardy and did not have police protection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/world/europe/ukraine-leader-was-defeated-even-before-he-was-ousted.html?_r=0

With the presidential administration building and also his home unguarded from the afternoon of Friday, Feb. 21, Mr. Yanukovych judged that it was time for him, too, to leave Kiev, at least for a few days, his associates said.

“When they removed the guards around the presidential administration, he had to leave,” said Mr. Dobkin, who was serving at the time as governor of Kharkiv, an industrial eastern region in whose capital, Kharkiv, Mr. Yanukovych had decided to seek refuge on Friday evening.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:13:13 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2262 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »

At the point of a gun.

You are confusing an illegal referendum in Crimea with a corrupt politician who was about to be arrested.

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2263 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
It doesn't matter.  The current government was legally elected.  Get over it!

The ends DON'T justify the means...except of course when you agree with the outcome.  :rolleyes:

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2264 on: January 28, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »

At the point of a gun.

That is simply untrue.  He could have stayed and faced impeachment.  But, he chose to take millions he'd stolen and flee.

There is $1.42 billion sitting in non resident bank accounts frozen by the Ukrainian government that was stolen by Yanukovych and his clan. 

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2265 on: January 28, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »

Sure, he chose to leave because he understood his life was in jeopardy and did not have police protection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/world/europe/ukraine-leader-was-defeated-even-before-he-was-ousted.html?_r=0

I don't believe his life was ever in jeopardy.  I reject that analysis.  Name one politician who died at the hands of the opposition on the collapse of the Rada coalition.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2266 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »

The ends DON'T justify the means...except of course when you agree with the outcome.  :rolleyes:

Fathertime!

But the point is, the current government was legally elected.  Even had it stayed in power, the composition had changed because the Party of Regions never had a majority, and they lost the support of their coalition partners.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2267 on: January 28, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »

I don't believe his life was ever in jeopardy.  I reject that analysis.  Name one politician who died at the hands of the opposition on the collapse of the Rada coalition.

I don't get the argument here.  Do you think Obama would feel "at risk" if he had no protection?  If Yanu walked through Maiden without any protection his life wouldn't have been in jeopardy?    The dude was getting blamed for the sniper attacks.  His life was in jeopardy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:05:54 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2268 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Again, I ask.  Name one Ukrainian politician, or even a policeman, who was found complicit in the Maidan killings who has been killed in revenge. 

Offline LiveFromUkraine

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2269 on: January 28, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »
Again, I ask.  Name one Ukrainian politician, or even a policeman, who was found complicit in the Maidan killings who has been killed in revenge.

Your reasoning makes no sense to me.  No President of any country should be without protection yet you think Yanukovych should be. Again, do you think Yanukovych could have walked by himself through Maiden without worrying about his life?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:16:55 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2270 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »

Your reasoning makes no sense.  No President of any country should be without protection yet you think Yanukovych should be. Again, do you think Yanukovych could have walked by himself through Maiden without worrying about his life?

Yes, I do.  I think the Maidan protesters wanted a trial, not immediate death. 

Yanukovych did, in fact, have protection.  His entourage was with him in Kharkiv, and many went with him to Russia.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2271 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »

Yes, I do.  I think the Maidan protesters wanted a trial, not immediate death. 

Yanukovych did, in fact, have protection.  His entourage was with him in Kharkiv, and many went with him to Russia.

We will have to disagree.  I think he would have been torn apart especially after the sniper attacks.  I would have thought I was in danger and left if I had been in the same situation.   

I don't think any President should be without adequate protection.  No, an entourage isn't what I consider protection when talking about a President of a country.   Especially when dealing with a situation that occurred in Maiden. 

Bo, I remember you originally thought this was a coup.  What changed your mind if you don't mind me asking?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:29:17 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline Brasscasing

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2272 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
This is something that really hasn't grabbed western media's attention so far but the Russian media's covering it in some detail...

PACE Votes to Deprive Russia of Voting Rights, Again

..."The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) voted Wednesday to deprive Russia of its rights within the assembly for the second consecutive session, a decision that could mark the country's exit from the legislative body, state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

PACE voted last April to suspend some of the Russian delegation's rights within the assembly, including its rights to vote and be represented on certain committees. The decision came in the aftermath of Russia's annexation of Crimea, which PACE said "constituted, beyond any doubt, a grave violation of international law."

PACE's monitoring committee adopted Wednesday an amendment to the resolution that had stripped Russia of its rights, prolonging the limitations on its full participation in the organization. Russian parliamentarian Leonid Slutsky told RIA Novosti that 35 parliamentarians had voted in favor of the amendment, while 34 cast their ballots against it.

State Duma speaker Sergei Naryshkin, who leads the Russian delegation to PACE, told Russian media that the country would no longer take part in the assembly if it was stripped of its rights once again."...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/pace-votes-to-deprive-russia-of-voting-rights-again/515075.html

...What's a PACE you ask? ...

..."PACE is a 47-member state organization dedicated to upholding human rights, democracy and the rule of law, overseeing the EU Court of Human Rights. It meets four times a year since 1949 in Strasbourg to adopt recommendations, resolutions and opinions, which serve as guidelines for the Committee of Ministers, national governments, parliaments and political parties....

It's significant in my mind because it was these guys that had the best chance of getting Nadiya Savchenko released. Not going to happen now as Russia's withdrawn the offer to even visit her.

Russia has also suspended PACE's human rights monitoring inside Russia.

More here from RT for whatever that's worth...

http://rt.com/news/227107-pace-resolution-against-russia/

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2273 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:06 AM »
What is your number and when?  The wager?   Dollars only, as I do not know what a 'rubble' will be worth.
OK, your considerations sound solid, I'm agree with your analysis.  Everybody has to fight for his share of market, and the price of oil must be regulated by supply and demand, not by cartels.
Does not matter what ruble will be worth, industrial production and GDP does. I give no numbers as I have no Crystall Ball and there are no proven methods to predict oil price.
Higher prices will be clear bonus for Russia, but its economics and resourses let her accomodate to any price. To be honest, we're all interested in  oil storage never ends and acceptable price of gas. World of Mad Max is not what I'd like  :)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2274 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:53 AM »
The potential to increase sanctions with specific Russian targets is looming !!
The new rules request that the dots needed to be joined for relevance--ok-- simply-- target Russain wealth all over the world and freeze assets until it can be proven that assets were obtained legitimately-- and fairly! It will not take long for Putin to get heat over this !!dot dot dot
In Britain began an all-out inspection wealth and property Russians

Checks associated with sanctions against Russia. TSN.ua British banks check the condition n British banks have undertaken to check Russian businessmen . This writes on social networks businessman Yevgeny Chichvarkin, who because of pressure from the security services had to move to London. Banks asked to Chichvarkina and other Russian businessmen to describe in detail the origin of their wealth and property
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:01:45 AM by AnonMod »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1961
Total: 1970

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM