It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1082025 times)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4775 on: May 29, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »
The real situation on the Crimea continues deteriorating-with Russia reneging on promised funds.

"As everyone knows," there is no money. " But in the Crimea on Wednesday I learned that this is not a figure of speech, but a very real situation "
"Crimea Economy Dives into a tailspin,"

"There's no money, you keep" - is not only a response to the Russian premiere of pensioners, it is very clear, genuine (according to Freud) message across the country. It is very symbolic that it was made precisely on the peninsula. In other regions, in response to a drop in the standard of living, you can answer, "but Crimea is ours!". But how to fend off the claims in the Crimea?

http://www.amn.com.ua/blogy/ekonomyka-kryma-yz-pyke-perehodyt-v-shtopor-ekspert/
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4776 on: May 29, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »

The secession is illegal by international law as well, which is why sanctions are in place.  However, de facto, Crimeans no longer wish to be part of Ukraine.  So be it.  Just keep the sanctions, and Crimean isolation in terms of the greater world, in place - no bank transactions, no international ships docking there (which was a big business before 2014), visa restrictions for Crimean politicians, etc.

And the coup in Kiev was illegal and the Crimeans wanted no part in that. They then opted to be saved by Russia as the majority is ethnic Russians and there was ethnic cleansing of them in the cards.

Keep the sanctions, right. Easy to say for Americans that does not suffer it like the agricultural sector in western Europe, for example. For the Russians, they dig in and suffer for a few years. New markeds are made, new partners that westerners seems to forget even exist when they claim Russia is isolated. Sanctions are a form of war and Washington has declared it and forced it's European minions to go along even to it's own detriment. Then there are the ever increasing threat to Russia on its western border, missiles and other military gear. The madmen behind this is pushing the world to war and it seems most on RWD is quite happy about it. Well, not me!

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4777 on: May 29, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »

And the coup in Kiev was illegal and the Crimeans wanted no part in that. They then opted to be saved by Russia as the majority is ethnic Russians and there was ethnic cleansing of them in the cards.

Keep the sanctions, right. Easy to say for Americans that does not suffer it like the agricultural sector in western Europe, for example. For the Russians, they dig in and suffer for a few years. New markeds are made, new partners that westerners seems to forget even exist when they claim Russia is isolated. Sanctions are a form of war and Washington has declared it and forced it's European minions to go along even to it's own detriment. Then there are the ever increasing threat to Russia on its western border, missiles and other military gear. The madmen behind this is pushing the world to war and it seems most on RWD is quite happy about it. Well, not me!

You're never happy about anything.   If you went to Disneyland, you'd criticize the color of Mickey's shorts.  Nice to see you posting.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4778 on: May 29, 2016, 10:07:20 AM »
You're never happy about anything.   If you went to Disneyland, you'd criticize the color of Mickey's shorts.  Nice to see you posting.

How do you know I'm not happy about anything? Do you think what little I post here sums up the whole of me?
As for Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, I'd say I prefer the original versions. And I'm happy we're soon off to Crimea, but then again, writing happy and positive things is not what the RWD forum want, is it?
Thanks though for wanting my postings. Sometimes I reckon a little balance is in order  ;)

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4779 on: May 29, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
Send me a post card from Krim.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4780 on: May 29, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »
Send me a post card from Krim.

Krim? That's what we call it here in Norway. Just give me your address and I'll send you a card, mate.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4781 on: May 29, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »

What a load of bunk. 

Given that the Verkhovna Rada followed constitutional procedures to impeach Yanukovych, it cannot be stated that a coup occurred.  The fact Yanukovych chose to flee the country like the coward he is, is on him.  No one else.

Crimea was autonomous, which was enshrined in the constitution, so what happens in Kyiv was of little importance to its residents.

Crimeans did not ask Russian special forces to invade them.  It was Crimeans who coined the term "little green men".  To make such a ludicrous claim is an insult to the intelligence of every poster here.

Ukraine's constitution provides equal rights to all.  There has never been an ethnic cleansing. or even a denial of language rights, carried out by Ukrainians in power against non Ukrainians in Ukraine.  There have been ethnic cleansings of Ukrainians by Russians, and forced Russification.  Learn some history!

How many political prisoners are languishing in Ukrainian jails?  How many in Russia? 

Too bad.  The sanctions are not a huge bite for any EU country. 

When a country ignores international law, it has to pay the consequences.  Crimeans want to be part of Russia.  Since this was done illegally, then they can suffer the consequences as well, which includes sanctions and the collapse of their international tourist industry.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:21:35 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4782 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
And the coup in Kiev was illegal and the Crimeans wanted no part in that.

As corrupt as Yanukovych was and the Ukrainian government wasn't willing to investigate and impeach him, I don't blame the citizens wanting better government.

If Russia feel America backed an illegal coup, they should take it up with the UN and petition the EU to join them in applying sanctions on America.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4783 on: May 29, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

Given that the Verkhovna Rada followed constitutional procedures to impeach Yanukovych, it cannot be stated that a coup occurred.  The fact Yanukovych chose to flee the country like the coward he is, is on him.  No one else.

Crimea was autonomous, which was enshrined in the constitution, so what happens in Kyiv was of little importance to its residents.

:clapping: & there you go.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4784 on: May 29, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »
Russia invaded and stole Krym and invaded the Donbas simply because Ukraine refused to join the EEU.  Without Ukraine it's doomed to fail. K-Stan and Belarus joined only because of monetary concessions.

Offline southernX

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4785 on: May 29, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »
What a load of bunk. 

Crimeans did not ask Russian special forces to invade them.  It was Crimeans who coined the term "little green men".  To make such a ludicrous claim is an insult to the intelligence of every poster here.

Ukraine's constitution provides equal rights to all.  There has never been an ethnic cleansing. or even a denial of language rights, carried out by Ukrainians in Ukraine.  There have been ethnic cleansings of Ukrainians by Russians, and forced Russification.  Learn some history!

How many political prisoners are languishing in Ukrainian jails?  How many in Russia? 

Too bad.  The sanctions are not a huge bite for any EU country. 

When a country ignores international law, it has to pay the consequences.  Crimeans want to be part of Russia.  Since this was done illegally, then they can suffer the consequences as well, which includes sanctions and the collapse of their international tourist industry.

captured the essence of it perfectly bo  :clapping:
putin wanted to  illegally take crimea purely for the strategic military position of it

natural , enjoy your  krim vacation   i for one will never go back there while it remains under russian occupation

however i  feel sad for all those good people who are now stuck in crimea with this situation
SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4786 on: May 29, 2016, 05:27:40 PM »
Thanks.

I modified my post slightly, to recognize that Ukrainians who have held political power have never conducted ethnic cleansings.  UPA did commit genocide, killing between 30,000 and 80,000 Poles (actual figures never established, as many fled the region).  UPA was also involved in the first pogrom in L'viv after German occupation, though the number of dead in that pogrom was less than 100.

Nevertheless, the allegation that there would be an "ethnic cleansing" of Russians was a ludicrous statement, hyperbole pulled out of someone's ____.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4787 on: May 29, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
For The Natural.  Ukrainians, ethnically cleansed, by a Russian citizen.  As confirmed by Amnesty International.

Want more examples?  How far back in history?

http://en.censor.net.ua/news/331965/

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4788 on: May 29, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4789 on: May 29, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

Absolute bullshit. The party that exercised their right to remove Yanukonvict out of office was the majority party at the time--the Party of Regions (Yanukonvicts party).

There was a coup: in Crimea. The pro-Russian Prime Minister and Rada of Crimea was ousted overnight by unmarked Russian troops. Then next morning a new, and unelected, parliament was APPOINTED.

As to ethnic cleansing--again pure hogwashed bullshit. The only ethnic cleansing planned for Crimea is the one currently cleansing the region of Tatar leaders.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4790 on: May 29, 2016, 09:41:13 PM »
Had an interesting shopping trip with the Mrs yesterday. We shopped at two supermarkets: 7th Kontinent and at a Viktoria (upscale Dixie). I had not been aware of the reports on salmon, and so when asked what I'd like for dinner, pointed to the nearby fish counter at Viktoria.

Mrs M had heard however, and she filled me in. I walked over to the counter and couldn't see much difference, but did notice that all the salmon related stuff was on sale. She still won't buy ice cream as there is too much veggie oil substituted for milk if the labels she reads are factual. We did purchased some yogurt, a Danone product (Belarus) as it is a related company to the French Dannon of worldwide recognition. Otherwise she is hesitant to buy most of the dairy products supposedly made in Russia.

In reality, most of the dairy products sold on Russian supermarkets shelves and coolers these days comes from Belarus, or Western products smuggled in via Kazakhstan. The so-called Euroasian Union countries are a pressure release valve to keep the lid from blowing off. Such products are not a part of Western sanctions, but are illegal due to Russia's own sanctions against Western products. Russians can still get many of the same products (some are fakes), their Euroasian partners benefit, and the Kremlin saves face by insisting that products from the West are illegal in supermarkets.

Dacha gardens are beginning to yield their bounties and in the past days I've watched as spontaneous street markets have sprung up--individuals selling some very nice looking tomatoes, cucumbers and fruit. They carry things by buckets and baskets and seem to have a system to move to new locations (such activity is now illegal) quickly if the police arrive.

Even early this year one could purchase things inside the metro entrances when transfer stations and underground street access to Metro stations is available. I have not seen much of that this spring as the police have driven those folk out.

I will say that the seeming quality of dacha produce sold on streets seems magnificent. Yesterday we purchased some early cucumber (great taste) and several huge tomatoes which were very nice at dinner. It is too bad that such purchases are now deemed to be illegit--the government seems to drive everything toward the supermarkets with Oligarch ties.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:52:56 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline southernX

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4791 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »
yes mendy i can agree with you on the darcha /street vendored cues , tomatoes , papriks & big red onions

a cold larder luncheon of cured meat & bread with a table full of spring /summer grown salad stuff is just the best taste ever

i really loved the big flat yalta onions dressed on a plate over the top of ripe sliced summer tomatoes & cues , drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

simple but amazing  ;)
SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline BC

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4792 on: May 30, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »
http://www.globalmeatnews.com/Industry-Markets/Russia-s-meat-industry-worried-by-oversupply
http://agroinfo.com/en/

Even taking all this at half face value, it is interesting that the self imposed import bans seem to be working towards diversification and less dependency on other countries for agricultural items.

There is a bit of concern at the WTO level with some of the retaliatory bans imposed by RU, 'for health reasons'.  If there were no negative effects for EU why even worry about it? http://www.globalmeatnews.com/Industry-Markets/WTO-ruling-on-Russia-s-trade-ban-expected-this-week

They may well end up lowering domestic prices and if they end up exporting on larger scale it might end up affecting the EU market even more by pushing prices down.  Remember EU still pays a lot to keep prices up on many agricultural goods, buying oversupplies to keep the market from dropping out and even here in my neck of the woods paying farmers to destroy their grape vines and not produce at all.

Sanctions the West throws at RU may in the long term end up costing EU more, leaving them a bit at odds with US pressures to raise the ante against RU over the UA crisis.

Interesting times ahead..

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4793 on: May 30, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
BC,

When was the last time you were in Russia?  (I was there last fall for an extended period of time.)

While I understand the nature of the article, there is little of value there.  It is a puff piece to make everyone take note that Russia doing well in spite of the sanctions.  But those who have not lived there really have no idea.  Aside from the hideous cheese, we were spending about 50% more for meat and it consisted mostly of sausages as real meat cuts weren't available. 

The problem with Russian meat production is not that they can't grow the livestock, it is that the cereal grains are needed for things other than to grow meat to butcher.    Cereal grain export to countries like Mexico, in the face of a lack of oil exports, is one of the few hard currency items that Russia has to export.  So, the real issue is whether Russia wants to export grain or grow more pigs.  My bet is on the grain and your article, then, is misleading.

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4794 on: May 30, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »
BC,

The problem with Russian meat production is not that they can't grow the livestock, it is that the cereal grains are needed for things other than to grow meat to butcher.     So, the real issue is whether Russia wants to export grain or grow more pigs.  My bet is on the grain and your article, then, is misleading.

Yes, and as we all know they don't have any grass in Russia either. Russia is a very small country, mostly rocks, right? So it's impossible to grow either grains or grass to feed the livestock.

Isn't it wonderful to glee over Russia's misfortune? According to many westerners the Russians can't do anything right. But then, if they can't, how come you (especially US) are so afraid of them?  ;)

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4795 on: May 30, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »
If you see a venomous snake from a distance you're not afraid. You're wary..

Offline BC

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4796 on: May 30, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »

While I understand the nature of the article, there is little of value there.  It is a puff piece to make everyone take note that Russia doing well in spite of the sanctions. 

jone,

as far as the agroinfo.com site, yes it is a RU site and a bit propagandish, thus my 'taking at half value' comment.  Globalmeatnews.com on the other hand is not.  Furthermore a bit of 'angst' is noted in:

http://www.agra-net.com/agra/agra-europe/meat-livestock/pigmeat/hogan-confident-wto-will-rule-in-eus-favour-over-russian-pigmeat-ban-506845.htm

Polish MEP Czesław Adam Siekierski has put the question to the EU executive on behalf of ComAgri, which is also calling for pigmeat PSA to be re-opened – pointing to “significant downward pressure on prices” beyond the “normal cyclical periods” seen in the sector.

PSA = methods of stabilizing pork prices in EU
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/pigmeat/private-storage/index_en.htm

private storage aid for pigmeat from 4 January 2016. This measure provides EU funding to help cover the costs of storing certain pigmeat products for periods of 3-5 months.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/19/reuters-america-interview-russian-meat-firm-miratorg-expects-weak-rouble-to-help-triple-sales.html

Russian meat producer Miratorg plans to launch new business lines, boost exports and triple sales within five years as the weaker rouble makes it more competitive locally and abroad, its co-owner and President Viktor Linnik told Reuters.

Yes, one can discount RU's propaganda but if one digs into the material a bit there is probably more truth than fiction.  I would not underestimate RU's resolve

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/economic/345823.html
http://www.rt.com/business/341959-russia-meat-export-china/
http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2015/11/20/embargo_causing_huge_fish_revenue_losses/
http://www.foodnavigator-asia.com/Business/China-to-pump-100m-into-Russian-rabbit-complex

Just a bit of fat to chew on....

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:48:47 AM by BC »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4797 on: May 30, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
If you wish to visit places that know how to grow things like cows and pigs, visit the American Midwest. Grass really has less to do with it than the art of animal husbandry, of which Russia still lags decades behind in spite of laying claim to a sixth of the earth's surface.

The moment that farming is modernized in Russia (and today there is only token effort, in spite of promises even before sanctions) production will take off. But, when major farming efforts are controlled by Oligarchs, and the smaller farmers who could actually be successful were they not being forced into the role of serfs for the Oligarchs, there isn't enough grass in this part of the world to overcome the other obstacles that impede Russian progress.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4798 on: May 30, 2016, 12:55:22 PM »
According to many westerners the Russians can't do anything right.

The past century or so tends to indicate this, at least in terms of agriculture.

A country can't kill its best farmers, mismanage agriculture for more than a century, then expect it to rebound miraculously. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:25:30 PM by Boethius »

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4799 on: May 30, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
If you wish to visit places that know how to grow things like cows and pigs, visit the American Midwest.

And the Canadian prairies.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701