It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Back to the grind...  (Read 12141 times)

Offline jen

Back to the grind...
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:08:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a minute to say that with fall classes starting up again, you will probably notice that I'll be less active here. However, I'll still post a new question every so often, will keep up with things as well as I can, and will check my PMs.

So, just drop a line if you think I have missed something or if you have any question for me. I won't disappear without saying anything, I promise!

Thanks for everyone's responses so far, and I look forward to more conversations.

Enjoy the end of the summer,
J.

Offline jen

Re: Back to the grind...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:21 AM »
Dear all,

I just wanted to briefly check in and assure everyone who was generous enough to answer many of my questions last summer (see "Research Projects") that I am still around. The academic year gets busy for me, but you might have noticed that I have stopped in every few weeks and even thrown in a comment from time to time.

Over the course of this year, I worked on an article manuscript that draws on some of the conversations here, as well as my other research experiences. It is currently under review, and for copyright reasons, I prefer not to post it here until it is in print and I can direct you to a link. However, I am still frequently in touch with Dan as well as with Tristan over at ODR, have shared some of my ongoing work with them, and will continue to do so.

I'm also writing now because I have a very busy summer about to begin for family reasons -- so a quick update seemed in order before I fall out of the picture for a while.  I hope everyone has a good summer! And thanks again for engaging with me here.

Jen

Offline jen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'd like to give you an update on my work, after a long hiatus. Some of you will remember me from a few years ago. Since I last posted here, I have been in touch directly, occasionally, with Dan - so perhaps he has passed on updates to anyone who was particularly interested. In any case, I apologize for taking so long to return to this thread, but academic publication always seems to take longer than one hopes.

One article of mine came out recently. Please note that it is based on materials I collected mostly *before* I ever came to RWD, though it serve to give you the gist of what I learned from my research. That piece can be found in Ethnos, an anthropological journal published in Stockholm. If you have access to an academic library, you should be able to download it or find it on a shelf. I'll refrain from posting the full citation information here, so that people who google the article title don't get delivered straight to this site (which protects the confidentiality of everyone here). I do have some hard copies of the article that I can mail out to people who are interested.

I also have a second article coming out sometime early this year in the journal Slavic Review. This one does contain research findings from my time here on RWD, though the site is not identified within the article and I use no extended quotes or names. I don't yet have the official copy of it, but once it is out I will have a pdf that, again, I can mail or email out to people as you wish.

In the early sections of both articles I go over some of the common arguments critiquing the international matchmaking/marriage industry, but as the essays unfold I use my own data to challenge many of those critiques and to present what I hope you will find to be a more balanced view.

Dan knows how to get in touch with me. I'll welcome your comments once you've read, and I want to say a huge "thank you" for allowing  me to spend some time here and for sharing some of your experiences with me.

Best wishes,
Jen

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »
I know someone who did their PHD thesis on international marriage. She sent me one of her articles and some of her thesis. It was very interesting. Maybe I'll ask if I can post her article.

Have fun back at the grind!!!
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline jen

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
Dear all,

One of you just prodded me for an update, so I thought I'd quickly check in.  As you can see from the previous posts in this thread/area of the board, I was active here several years ago, collecting some of your reflections for research I was doing at the time on international marriages. I haven't posted in a couple  of years since there are no new developments:  the two articles I mentioned above are my only publications on this topic to date, and in the past few years, I've moved on to a new research project on children's food and parenting practices here in the United States.  I continue to think about this international marriage research, though, and it is possible that I will have one more article come out in the next year or two. If that happens, I will absolutely update you here.

Regarding the existing articles, I'll reiterate that I can't post the pdfs here due to copyright issues, but I am happy to share them with anyone who'd like to read them. You can contact me directly at jpatico@gsu.edu if you are interested in that.

I hope everyone here is doing well, and I'll forever be grateful for the gracious conversations you had with me here. I welcome any updates.
Best wishes,
Jen

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
Thanks for checking in Jen

Udachi !

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541277
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701