It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this airport?  (Read 6915 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Does anyone recognize this airport?
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »

A friend of mine recently got took by the classic visa-ticket scam. She sent this photo and the promise she would pay him back (I think around $1200). He asked me to inquire from all you world travelers if you recognized this airport?

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Does anyone recognize this airport?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
A friend of mine recently got took by the classic visa-ticket scam. She sent this photo and the promise she would pay him back (I think around $1200). He asked me to inquire from all you world travelers if you recognized this airport?

I don't see anything in the photo that implies there is an airport in the photo. No name, , no planes, no parking garage, no taxis, no control tower, and nobody carrying any luggage. How does your friend even know the girl in the photo is the actual person that scammed him?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
Ditto on Billy's comments. It is more likely a shopping centre of sorts.

Neither does she look necessarily Russian or Ukrainian, if she is supposed to be, that is. She has some Asian features, but the surroundings do not look like anything I've seen in Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan, etc.

Most ladies looking for foreign husbands are from countries where the annual household income is very low. Did he expect her to pay him back at more than $5 to $10 per month, or was the little head handling the financial calculations?
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »

She's a Filipina from one of the southern islands. Supposed to come from a good family. She did not want him to visit her but wanted to travel to him instead. The times he talked with her on the phone he would hear a small dog barking in the background. Then when she was in Manilla to go to the American embassy he overheard the same dog barking. 

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »
Photo looks like it could be somewhere in the Middle East.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
She's a Filipina from one of the southern islands. Supposed to come from a good family.

All scammers come from a good familes. I know one guy who was communicating with a Filipino woman and her father is a priest yet she gives him phone sex everytime he calls to get him thinking with the little head. Later she requested money. Too bad your friend didn't ask you for advice before sending $1200. 
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
Hey Maxx,

Can I get your friend's phone number?  I have some great lake front property in Nigeria that I would love to sell him on the cheap.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:47:30 AM »
I agree with the others, Maxx. It doesn't look like an airport to me.

Orcas on billboard right (as facing ) background might suggest a water park of some sort. It is close to a harbor (left background as facing) and presumably open water by the look of what I perceive to be two larger type boats caught in the image.

Brass

...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
Did she send your friend the photo to show him how she was enjoying spending his money. She looks immensely pleased with herself! lol

:ROFL:

Seriously though, what does he expect to achieve by finding out where this was taken, the mistake was made and money essentially gone. Even if he finds out the location he is unlikely to discover who she is, is he planning to track her down and do her in or something. Surprises me that people still get suckered into this one I mean he never met her, that sort of money is probably big money from where she is from.

Anyway, it looks from the photo that the people there are mostly far east Asian, so somewhere that direction seems highly likely. Of course with $1200 to burn she could have flown to Malaysia, Vietnam, China, etc to enjoy herself. Might also be a leisure complex with cinema, but nothing obvious from the outside so being a woman it probably is shopping centre. Boat look a little fishing/light industrial looking perhaps. That's my James Bond style analysis of out villain/situation.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
Seriously though, what does he expect to achieve by finding out where this was taken,

I hope the guy isn't thinking about tracking the girl down. He'd be wasting his time and probably would end up in jail.

Maxx, the best thing you can suggest your friend do is call every company that provides a service of sending money and give them the name and contact info of the girl that scammed him. I know it's embarrassing process to make those calls but if he wants to hurt the girl, the best way is to try to prevent her from getting more money by having her name red flagged.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »

Oh, I am certain he doesn't want to track her down and hurt her. He's just curious what her goal was on where she really wanted to go. When I got scammed by my Russian ex-wife 13 years ago I was quite curious about the details on the scam. Who was in on it et cetera. I am pretty certain this woman in the photo above didn't get any money directly from him as he had told her "No". But rather got her a paid for airfare. Maybe she was able to transfer it to another destination? I don't know if that is possible. He told me it was his original understanding that he could get a refund within a certain period of time but I think he miscalculated it. I didn't press for details because this is pretty much going to be a non issue soon.

I think he contacted her through 'Cherry Blossoms" and think he contacted them about this. He is not upset just curious.

I noticed also the blue sign that looks like Orcas are on it. There is what looks like the dome of a mosque. There are plenty of Muslims in PI, Indonesia and other Asian countries. It may even be in Manila.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
Hey Maxx,

Can I get your friend's phone number?  I have some great lake front property in Nigeria that I would love to sell him on the cheap.

:D :D :D
I do have also some properties in Nigeria to sell, may i join?
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »
You're assuming she was there.  She could have photoshopped herself into a photo.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
You're assuming she was there.  She could have photoshopped herself into a photo.

If I was going to do it I would have the Eiffel tower or the Hollywood sign in the background.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 04:44:36 PM »

Hey Patagonie, you look an awful like Sean Penn.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Doubt Photoshopped, they often look obvious with a stark contrast different, ill fit, or bad cut & paste job; you can see the strands of her hair up close so it doesn't look an obvious cut around to me. Wouldn't see the point of making a work of art out of something like this.

Also though, it looks like she only has one arm, a stump on the other, unless it is just an odd angle - might narrow down the search a bit  ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 06:33:49 PM »
A couple of Filipinos who work with me have had a look at the photo, but don't recognise the location.  They do agree that it's NOT an airport in the Philippines (these are guys who have flown all around the country on business) - seems more likely to be some sort of theme park, but there are many to choose from throughout the country.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
It looks a bit like the back end of "SM City North EDSA" which is a big mall in Manila, Philippines.  I can only find pictures of the front of the mall, not the back.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline lyndontom

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »
A couple of Filipinos who work with me have had a look at the photo, but don't recognise the location.  They do agree that it's NOT an airport in the Philippines (these are guys who have flown all around the country on business) - seems more likely to be some sort of theme park, but there are many to choose from throughout the country.

Ive been to most major airports in the Philippines and it definitely isn't one of them. It looks more like an SM Mall which are common throughout the PI.

It looks a bit like the back end of "SM City North EDSA" which is a big mall in Manila, Philippines.  I can only find pictures of the front of the mall, not the back.

I thought that at first, but there is no water there like would appear to be to the left of the photo (if its a boat) and the dome type roof at EDSA looks much bigger/different shape than the one in the photo. I've never been to Manila bay, not sure if it could be something in that area as I know there is a hotel and marine park. The only thing I would say is that it looks sunny and there seems to be a lady with an umbrella, a phenomenon which I haven't seen in Philippines but I believe is common in Korea (unless she is a tourist of course)hough the girl does have a hoodie and a jacket on, which does not suggest Philippine type climate.

I think everyone has pretty much summed up the situation with their opinions, no need to throw more fuel on the fire. I thought people had got wise to this type of scam long ago, but its amazing how many still try it through sites like Russiancupid, etc.

I am just intrigued to see if we can crack the case of where this photo was taken. Surely with technology today...

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »

Hey Patagonie, you look an awful like Sean Penn.
I am Sean Penn but i work to get better.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
I am Sean Penn but i work to get better.

Well Russian Ukrainian women are better than Madonna so you're doing it right.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1896
Total: 1907

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM