It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Laundry  (Read 10474 times)

Offline wallm

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Laundry
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »
So, I will be in Kiev and Odessa next month. Where do I get the laundry done? Do hotels have laundry and dry cleaning service? Same day service? What do they charge on avg? Thanks.

Offline Mila

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Laundry
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
Hi,

Yes, good hotels have laundry and dry cleaning service, don't worry about that :) Good luck!

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
I use apts most of the time; rarely  hotels, so my experience is limited.

But the experience I did have with hotels regarding laundry was terrible.  Rarely on time, once gave my items to someone else and me theirs, etc., etc.

With apt, you have your own washer.  But rarely will there be a dryer.

Once I hung 4 T-shirts over some dining room chairs to dry.  They had the old fashioned mahogany stain we used to have here.

When my T-shirts were dry . . . each of them were permanently stained mahogany color.

Another time a business colleague of mine had an apartment right next to mine.  He couldn't get the door open on the washing machine once it was finished.  Finally he pulled hard and broke the inner part of the latch.  Then, to wash clothes the next time, he rigged up a mop handle that pushed against the door while the other end was against the toilet.

A lot of fun to travel to FSU.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Most modern apartments will have washing machines in them. One of my last hotels in Kiev had an ultramodern Western European washer/dryer combo machine.

On my first trip I stayed in hotels with my girlfriend. I asked her where I could get my clothes washed. she asked one of the hotel maids if she would wash them. I don't know how much it cost. My girlfriend refused to tell me how much it cost and refused to let me reimburse her. I eventually gave up trying.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:55 AM »
Another time a business colleague of mine had an apartment right next to mine.  He couldn't get the door open on the washing machine once it was finished.  Finally he pulled hard and broke the inner part of the latch.  Then, to wash clothes the next time, he rigged up a mop handle that pushed against the door while the other end was against the toilet.

A lot of fun to travel to FSU.

My front load washing machine doesn't open for a period after clothes are washed as well.  This occurs if there is still water in the machine.  So if you face that, wait, or re-spin the clothing.  I usually wait a fifteen minutes, and by then, it opens.

If the lock mechanism is actually broken, most washing machines have a manual unlock mechanism.  So, this was your friend's fault.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline John of Hesperia

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »
Just returned from Odessa yesterday and stayed in an apartment near city center.  It had a non-working washing machine, so called manager and they picked up my laundry two days later, neatly folded and spic n span.  Cost was 250 grv (ten bucks), a pretty good deal. 
Old ain't dead, but it don't feel good getting old.  Pain is nature's way of telling me I'm still alive!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
Laundry
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
So, I will be in Kiev and Odessa next month. Where do I get the laundry done? Do hotels have laundry and dry cleaning service? Same day service? What do they charge on avg? Thanks.

My advice is to get an apartment with a washer and not a hotel. I am tall and my long
sleeve shirts are purchased at big and tall stores. I don't let strangers wash my shirts
because they will come back an inch shorter in the sleeve. Even Angel Eyes (my wife)
has shrank several of them, she was horrified yet they were still shrunk and they were
useless unless Angel Eyes wanted to wear one of them to bed. 

There are several other advantages of an apartment over a hotel.
You can play house, you can cook a meal, you can make a sandwich if you wake up
at 4:00 am because of jet lag. You can entertain a girl and her friends. A girl will visit
you in an apartment far more readily than she will visit you in a hotel. Often times the
hotel will assume your girl is a prostitute and they will want to collect a commission. 

http://www.airbnb.com/

http://kievapts.com/?gclid=CJSIobmkus8CFQ9xfgod-pwCWg

http://odessaapts.com/

Here is an apartment I rented in Voronezh

Udachi!

Bill
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:08:29 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »

Hotels I've stayed at in the FSU had laundry service. Service should be same day but if they don't offer it, money will get people to go above and beyond the norm.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline odba

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
Often times the hotel will assume your girl is a prostitute and they will want to collect a commission. 

WTF?!
Will be going to Kharkov soon and I feel unprepared for it. So much to learn in order to have success.  :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:40:20 PM by odba »

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
bigger hotels will all have laundry services, prices will be reasonable.  a lot of apartments will have a laundry machine, but probably NOT a dryer, unless it's one of those little combination units from LG or Samsung, you'll survive, if you need something there's always someone there who can help/advise you, you'll manage...

Offline alex330

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
  a lot of apartments will have a laundry machine, but probably NOT a dryer, unless it's one of those little combination units from LG or Samsung

All the apartments I stayed in had one of those combo units either in the bathroom or kitchen. They don't get the clothes as dry as we are used to here but you just hang dry them on the little rack on the balcony and you manage you say.

Offline BorisS

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »
Most modern apartments will have washing machines in them. One of my last hotels in Kiev had an ultramodern Western European washer/dryer combo machine.

On my first trip I stayed in hotels with my girlfriend. I asked her where I could get my clothes washed. she asked one of the hotel maids if she would wash them. I don't know how much it cost. My girlfriend refused to tell me how much it cost and refused to let me reimburse her. I eventually gave up trying.

That was a keeper. C'mon, Larry... ;)

Offline Larry1

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »

That was a keeper. C'mon, Larry... ;)

she was indeed a keeper. I asked her to marry me and she said yes. Unfortunately, before our K1 application was approved our relationship foundered. Most people don't understand how inherently fragile international relationships usually are and how difficult it is for them to succeed.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Laundry
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
WTF?!
Will be going to Kharkov soon and I feel unprepared for it. So much to learn in order to have success.  :D

If I were going to Kharkiv I would touch base with Mila above, there have been a
number of glowing reports from others about her.

Read the free ebook and then all the trip reports that you can.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline odba

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »
If I were going to Kharkiv I would touch base with Mila above, there have been a
number of glowing reports from others about her.

Read the free ebook and then all the trip reports that you can.

Udachi!

Bill

I am.

I was referring to other info in threads. I have a lot to learn about the cultural differences. Looking forward to it.  ;D

Offline Boethius

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
The cultural differences that matter are not understood by about 99% of Westerners, so, no need to worry.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BorisS

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
she was indeed a keeper. I asked her to marry me and she said yes. Unfortunately, before our K1 application was approved our relationship foundered. Most people don't understand how inherently fragile international relationships usually are and how difficult it is for them to succeed.

Yes, small misunderstandings when you are apart can grow way out of proportion. Sometimes there are forces and feelings that are pulling at her that you have no idea of.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »

Yes, small misunderstandings when you are apart can grow way out of proportion. Sometimes there are forces and feelings that are pulling at her that you have no idea of.

That is so true. And not many guys at the inception of their searches fully realize this. It would make a good thread topic if people would respond.

Offline John of Hesperia

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:40:35 AM »
That is so true. And not many guys at the inception of their searches fully realize this. It would make a good thread topic if people would respond.

Yes it would be an excellent thread, especially for rookies like me. 

On base right now but haven't scored yet.
Old ain't dead, but it don't feel good getting old.  Pain is nature's way of telling me I'm still alive!

Offline Larry1

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 07:06:24 AM »

Yes it would be an excellent thread, especially for rookies like me. 

On base right now but haven't scored yet.

ML has stepped up to the plate and created the thread. It can be found here:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21289.msg446267;topicseen#msg446267

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701