Forum > Experienced

IM freaking out mannnn!!!

(1/14) > >>

cranehand:
9 days to go and I will jump that big ol silver bird and fly.  I have cleaned and cleaned all the clothes are on hangers, new shower curtains in place, the dust bunnies are in the dyson and I have put food in the freezer.  Momma she is coming home :couple:.  K1 docs all accounted for, I dare the IO to ask for something. LOL.......... people I am so ready for this.  The heat there ( Kherson) has been comparable to the south Texas July weather so she is getting conditioned to the heat and humidity, she is a very sweet woman I hope she does not melt, guess I better change the filter on the AC :)

Any other suggestions?

acctBill:
1. How about food that she is use to eating or at least a list of local shops that sell Ukrainian/Russian food. 
2. Maps of the area so she can find her way around the city when you are at work or otherwise occupied.
3. Her own set of keys for the house/apartment.
4. Cell phone for her own use.
5. Take her on a couple of drives around the city and neighbourhood so she knows where supermarket, malls, convenience store etc. are located.
6. Be prepared she'll want to change things or buy things for the house once she's had time to look around the house.
7. Made room for her belongings that she might be shipping from Kherson.
8. Russian/Ukrainian TV or radio or Internet ready. 

undoubtedly lots more.  Good luck and best wishes for a happy life together.   

ECOCKS:
Things to while away your time.....

1. Main showerhead replacement with a handheld spray head on flextubing.
2. Bench in the foyer to change and store shoes.
3. Water filter.
4. Generous selection of teas, green and black.
5. An espresso machine for the kitchen or main bedroom.
6. Be sure the central AC vent doesn't blow on her side of the bed, maybe consider a deflector.
7. New mats at front, back and garage doors for wiping feet.
8. Some flower vases strategically located (kitchen, dining table, den and bedroom) and filled by a trusted buddy the morning before you arrive back home.
9. Ibuprofen in your pocket for the trip, taken by both of you just before plane lands and you begin the baggage, Customs and drive home scenario.
10. Where you taking her for your first American dinner OR what are you planning on cooking? (Hints: * Salmon, whether you cook it over a fire or take her to Outback works pretty well. * Also, don't overwhelm her with a welcome party or family and friends the first evening.)

Good luck!

Shostakovich:
Interesting suggestions. 

Espresso machine in the bedroom? 

If childless, I've always thought that one very important thing was to have limited employment or volunteer work lined up for her when she arrives.  I know one K-1 that went South because the girl went stir crazy in the first month without anything to do except clean the house and try to fix a meal. 

Also, could be handy to have a credit card ready for her. 

Too, making acquaintance with a few Russian speaking people in the area beforehand will allow you to schedule an evening or two and give her the opportunity to speak once in a while in her own language.

ECOCKS:

--- Quote from: Shostakovich on August 01, 2010, 07:28:05 PM ---
Espresso machine in the bedroom? 

Also, could be handy to have a credit card ready for her. 

Too, making acquaintance with a few Russian speaking people in the area beforehand will allow you to schedule an evening or two and give her the opportunity to speak once in a while in her own language.

--- End quote ---

I've had a coffeemaker in my bedroom or master bedroom bath for the last 20 years so an espresso machine is nothing out of the ordinary for my life.

It will probably be difficult to get her a credit card until she has her passport at hand and can sign the papers. An ATM card with Visa capability was fine for my wife.

Although opinions are mixed, I'm one of those not in favor of hunting out FSU "friends" for her. If she wants them she'll make it known but, aside from the negative effect on her language and potentially on her assimilation overall, better to let her get her feet on the ground and determine her own way IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version