It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Question  (Read 10127 times)

Offline phantom

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Question
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »
Hello,

I have one question, as I have met a Russian girl in the US, she's been here for three years.  Things are going real well and I was wondering, as she's already here in the US, is there any legal requirements for marriage?
Feel free to pm me, if have any advice, questions, or anything else.

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
That depends on her immigration status.
Is her visa current or is she an illegal "overstay?

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Question
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »
Congratulations,

I don't know what the status of your lady is. Is she here on some kind of visa?
Does she have a green card? Does she have permanent residence? Others
could ask better questions than I could.

Udachi!

Bill

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

Question
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:19:08 PM »
Regarding 'legal requirements for marriage.'

The determining factor is date of first sex . . . and the method of sex.

For 'Clinton Sex' there is no requirement that you marry.

For other types of sex . . . must marry within 27 days of first event.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Question
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
I don't think there is a requirement to get married.  Just living together will work.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Real question is of course what happened that she is three years in the US and single.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »
Real question is of course what happened that she is three years in the US and single.

She was waiting for a guy like Phantom to show up.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline phantom

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
Ok, she was here on a travel visa, that has expired now.  I never asked her visa status before, as after going to meet and getting more involved, it just came up.  So, I imagine I'll need a lawyer.  I guess she was waiting for a guy like me.  She also has a child.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
Get some more answers out of her. How did she manage to get a visa with a child? That's unusual. There may be more to the story.

Have you looked thru Google using her name?

Online krimster2

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »
if she overstayed a travel visa that might make her ineligible for a K-1 visa, if you're thinking about that in the future, 3 years seems a long time for a travel visa, I thought initially it was for only 6 months, how old is the child?

"I guess she was waiting for a guy like me"
You can be certain of it!!!!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:33:01 PM »
Ok, she was here on a travel visa, that has expired now.  I never asked her visa status before, as after going to meet and getting more involved, it just came up.  So, I imagine I'll need a lawyer.  I guess she was waiting for a guy like me.  She also has a child.

Some guys here take visa fraud seriously. Our government doesn't take it as serious. You could marry her here and adjust her status to make her and her child legal to stay here. Speak to a few immigration attorneys and choose one who has done this kind of work.

It's in everybody's head and I'm sure it's in your head. Are you being used? You better make good judgement because if you're getting used, when she divorces you, it will be very ugly. We've had guys here who had their houses cleaned out when the wife left them. Some left the marriage too early to stay in America permanently but filed false domestic violence charges to get an exemption from those rules. Ask yourself if this woman would love you if she was already living in America legally.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline phantom

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
I googled her name and didn't find anything.  I'll find out some more, never thought how to ask how she got the travel visa or even how she got it with a child.  She just said it was a Russian travel visa, her child tried to help her explain as she helps her with English.  Yes, I do have to think, would she be interested in me, if she was all ready a citizen.  Don't want to be used and get into a messy divorce.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »
Try going to your local court house web site and look her up if she's been in this area for a while.

Russia doesn't issue travel Visa's to the US.   The US issues them.
From the limited amount of information that we know so far it doesn't add up to me.

Offline phantom

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »
She's not in my area, she's actually in another, we made contact on a Russian dating site, that has some Russian girls in the US.  She requested my contact details from the agency, I allowed them to give them to her and we made our contact and meeting plans from there.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:12 PM »
Yes, I do have to think, would she be interested in me, if she was all ready a citizen.  Don't want to be used and get into a messy divorce.

You came to this forum asking for legal requirements for marriage. You're in America and so is she. What's the rush? Take your time and when you're comfortable that she likes you for you, then talk marriage.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »
If she had a clean travel record, meaning she has left Russia, visited other countries, and then returned on time, it is possible to have a 10 year visa. If the US has little or no background, then if a travel visa is issued it is for a short time.

The fact that she has been here that long, and her child still has to translate English, tells me that she has primarily been around Russians (a man likely) and that would explain the child.

That she has overstayed is a character issue. If she will cheat and use the system, will she cheat and/or use you? Likely. Leopards don't change spots.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline BillyB

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:44 AM »
it is possible to have a 10 year visa. If the US has little or no background, then if a travel visa is issued it is for a short time.

It's possible she has a 10 year visa but nobody can stay 10 years continuously. Homeland security officers usually allows tourists, even on a 10 year tourist visa to stay 6 months or less at a time to which they must leave the country. Officers do have the discretion to grant up to a year stay. Phantoms girl has been here 3 years. That tells me she's been here 2 1/2 years illegally.

That she has overstayed is a character issue. If she will cheat and use the system, will she cheat and/or use you? Likely. Leopards don't change spots.

Many people have come to America using illegal methods. Sneaking on boats, crossing the desert, and violating visas. I met some American citizens and green card holders that have done illegal things to get here but are good people and working hard. Wanting a better life is a good thing. Phantom's lady understands life in America is better for her and her child than in Russia.

Violating a visa is closer to violating the speed limit than murdering somebody. We all can marry a person who violated the speed limit. Violating a visa isn't a deal breaker for many of us either but one should evaluate the character of the person who violated a visa.

She's not in my area, she's actually in another, we made contact on a Russian dating site,

In your first post, you said you met her. Did you actually meet face to face? Because you live in different areas, can you see her often? To figure out this woman's character, you need lots of time being together. If you don't have that luxury, I'd look for someone else.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »
She's not in my area, she's actually in another, we made contact on a Russian dating site, that has some Russian girls in the US.  She requested my contact details from the agency, I allowed them to give them to her and we made our contact and meeting plans from there.
Find out as much as possible on how she got to the  US and her reasons for staying. If she presses you because of her status do not accept, she has managed for 3 years and she will manage 3 more if nobody of interest comes along.
If you hit it off as great match and the visa issue can be fixed by a marriage, great. But if you notice that there is constant pointing at her status more than interest in who you are, you might be looked at as a mule to take her to the next level.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BC

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 04:56:28 AM »
As for the processes involved, suggest you check out visajourney.com

It's probably the most comprehensive informal source around.

Can also agree with most if not all posted above.  The last thing you should be feeling is that you are in some kind of rush to get things done.  If that is the case and you feel 'rushed' or pressure in any way to act the only way to resolve it is to SLOW DOWN.  Patience and work on the relationship alone.  The rest will work it's way out over time.  Enjoy your lower, but think with your upper brain.

Offline Gator

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »

Things are going real well and I was wondering, as she's already here in the US, is there any legal requirements for marriage?

Has your accountant explained to you the rule of the "Three F's?" If it Flies, Floats or Fucks,  rent it. 

Why marry?  Simply live together for as long as life together is good.  You will spend maybe a little less than if married without the legal mess of possible divorce.

One of my wife's acquaintances  overstayed her visa.   In the three years I have known her, she has been with multiple AM.  She tells us each time, "He loves me and I live in his home."  3-6 months later she is looking for another man.  And she has no child.

If this woman really likes you, she will understand and accept the situation.  And you can wait until there is an immigration amnesty program.   

Online krimster2

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
I would second what Gator and others are saying here, go slow.  before I took my first "hunting" trip to Ukraine back in the late 90's I met a couple of single Russian women with children in the bay area and they had a superficial resemblance to the woman you describe.  when asked about how it was they came to be in the USA they were secretive about it and upset that I should ask such a question, but IT IS something you should know.  Obviously at one point there was man involved somewhere who's not there now, her secrecy on the subject and just general lack of openness and honesty should be "red-flags" for you moving this relationship to a more serious permanent legal level.  also be careful, they know that they can claim abuse from a man and expect to have some legal entitlements, so be aware of the pitfalls in this relationship if you decide to live together, if it doesn't work out then you can use the knowledge gained to go hunting over there like most of us on this board did...

Offline phantom

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
There is no real rush here, so I will proceed slowly.  We have met face to face, there have been two visits.  She's in California, me in Michigan.  She did say she could come here to Michigan.  As its nice she has a child, to me that was a plus, as at 49, going to be 50 later this year, so having a baby I'm too old.  I'll proceed slowly, not rushing and ask more questions on this with her.

Online krimster2

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 05:29:31 PM »
she's in California?  the state with the highest male/female ratio, the state that's full of male engineers with $100,000 salaries who can't get a date?
she could drop an ad on Craig's list and never have to buy a meal the rest of her life (if she's half-way decent looking)  I'd visit first before I invited her over, something's not right with this picture....

Offline BC

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »
There is no real rush here, so I will proceed slowly.  We have met face to face, there have been two visits.  She's in California, me in Michigan.  She did say she could come here to Michigan.  As its nice she has a child, to me that was a plus, as at 49, going to be 50 later this year, so having a baby I'm too old.  I'll proceed slowly, not rushing and ask more questions on this with her.

Two dates does not a marriage make.
Enjoy but take your time evolving as a couple.

Offline alex330

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
I believe the State you live in can play a factor, but in Florida you can just marry her and begin the process. Only issue is her ability to leave the country until she is current.

I think there is a much higher risk of being used as a mule by women who have overstayed their VISA. Just my observation from the women my wife has met in country. Just go slow as others mention.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1877
Total: 1888

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM