It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Wedding Canceled  (Read 57148 times)

Offline GoodBrew

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Wedding Canceled
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
Anna Savich aka Anna Marchenko
Kharkov, Ukraine

I was a dupe.  I was a лох. Here is what happened.

Anna and I were scheduled to be married on June 27 in Kharkov. We were to leave for a honeymoon in Belek, Turkey the day after our wedding.  Two weeks prior to our wedding Anna drops a bomb on me. She wants a marriage contract. This is not the first that I have heard of the Russian/Ukrainian version of a prenuptial agreement. Given the short amount of notice that I had about this agreement I seriously doubt that it would hold up in court. Of course I declined to sign such an agreement. It sounded like a bonanza for a Green Card Girl. She claimed that someone at the car rental place brought this to her attention. I now know this to be a lie. A payout of $50,000 US was mentioned which caused me to let loose with derisive laughter. She said that the lawyer brought up that amount. Since she refused to get married without the contract the wedding was canceled. This was just the beginning of a painful lesson.

Offline GoodBrew

Re: Wedding Canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
The plane tickets could not be refunded. My sister's tickets could not be transferred either. We decided to travel to Kharkov in the hope that I could at least get the engagement ring back. Anna conveniently had to travel to take care of her mother while we were there and only showed back up after my sister left town. While I was in Kharkov I met with the travel agent to make sure that I would be notified when a refund was issued for the trip to Turkey. When I finally was able to meet with her for two hours prior to my leaving Anna claimed that the ring was left at her parents' place. She wanted time to think over a suggestion to come to the USA on a fiancée visa. This was just a ruse. I left the USA on June 24 and returned on July 2. Between July 4 and July 7 she placed her profile on Freepersonals, Bride.ru, LucklyLovers, and APrettyWoman. Her new profile includes professional photos which were taken recently. The irony is that I sent her links to three of those sites on May 30 ostensibly for her to use in her own freelance guide/matchmaker service for some ladies she was introducing to foreigners.  Money for our wedding probably went to pay for her photo session.  It was all planned well in advance. If I signed the agreement I would be on the hook for a GCG. If I did not sign the agreement she planned on us still going to Turkey with the promise of maybe filling out K1 paperwork while we were there. When she returned to Kharkov her new photos and profile were ready to go and I would be an afterthought. She did not plan on me canceling the trip to Turkey. Our honeymoon trip was a wedding gift from my father and I would not dishonor him by taking her since we were not going to be married.

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:17 PM »
Anna has shown no remorse about the trouble that she has caused my family and me, only that we did not take the trip to Turkey. Of the money that I sent her for our wedding arrangements I received about 38% of it back. There is no telling how much of the rest of it was squandered. The engagement ring has been sold. Her words.... “I left it with my father. I do not know what he has done with it. Maybe he has sold it”. It is gone.

Now for a few words about marriage contracts from a board member who is married to a Ukrainian lawyer.  Do not believe for one minute that these contracts are common in Ukraine. 

GB, I spoke to Xxxxx. She found the story very unusual. She say's since 1996 when MC's were begun there have been a total of about 600 filed; they are extremely rare even for the very rich. I hesitate to use the word absolutely but she was very sure the people at Zags "absolutely did not suggest a MC". She thinks it is likely some lawyer but without knowing the circumstances it is difficult to say how it all came about.

As I mentioned Anna is introducing other ladies to foreign men as well as advertising herself. You would do well to avoid Anna and her introduction service.

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
is this the girl?

http://www.lovetopping.net/pl_1176915284_eng.html

That is her old profile.  I did not know that it existed until recently.
The newer one from Freepersonals is here.  The other sites are basically the same.

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
Sorry she put you through that Goodbrew. 

I think she just got freaked out maybe, or, maybe she was evil from the start.

I am not against a little baiting if you are down for it?

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
Geez GB, I'm sorry to hear about this situation (hard to say turn of events if it were indeed preplanned as it seems) and your misfortune and loss. These waters are certainly filled with sharks.  Perhaps after the emotions settle a bit, you could post some more details about the situation? Primarily some red flags, or concerns you might have saw/had but overlooked in the process?

This has got to be an extremely painful situation for you and your family. Perhaps a more detailed description of her behavior on past visits, warning signs, etc, could help other guys avoid falling into the same trap.  Very weird situation for sure.

Best wishes to you,
Dave

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:28:37 PM by Daveman »
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:31:41 PM »

She had been planning her exit for at least a month prior to our wedding date.  At first I thought that she was just nervous and asked for the MC but it became clear that this was an attempt at being clever.  She has admitted to me that she thinks that she is a clever girl.  Her reply that maybe her father sold the engagement ring I took as a taunt in a "what can you do about it?" sort of way.  She spent a good deal of time mocking me during our last phone conversation.  I would rather see if I can get her removed from the foreign dating sites if I could but I appreciate the offer.

Offline Daveman

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »

yeah, whenever I freak out a little, the first things which pops into my mind is a $50k contract for sure.  ;D

Perhaps she was sincere in the beginning and just saw what she thought is an opportunity. Perhaps she got scared of being left alone and penniless in the USA, perhaps extraterrestrial body snatcher pods replaced the sincere woman with their nefarious intergalactic counterpart..  who knows?  The only certainty here is that this situation is wacked out... and though I am far from being an expert in any and all situations, this is one I've never heard of before. The scammers seem to have become more insidiously patient.. sheesh

you should write to her sculpto, and see what kind of replies you get.  
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
Geez GB, I'm sorry to hear about this situation (hard to say turn of events if it were indeed preplanned as it seems) and your misfortune and loss. These waters are certainly filled with sharks.  Perhaps after the emotions settle a bit, you could post some more details about the situation? Primarily some red flags, or concerns you might have saw/had but overlooked in the process?

This has got to be an extremely painful situation for you and your family. Perhaps a more detailed description of her behavior on past visits, warning signs, etc, could help other guys avoid falling into the same trap.  Very weird situation for sure.

Best wishes to you,
Dave

Thanks Dave.  The main red flag dovetails with Greg's thread from last night.  He is a friend and is aware of my situation.  There were a lot of excuses as to why I could not meet mama and papa.  They are old and cannot travel in the winter, they have poor health, they trust my judgment and you will meet papa before the wedding.  The anxiety over not meeting her family was soothed by the fact that I was meeting her friends and they were asking the hard questions of me that I would expect of family.  Also, I never saw any family photos.  She claimed that they were at her folks place.  What woman doesn't keep at least a few photos of mama and papa around?

The other red flag which I overlooked was her not removing her profile after we became engaged.  When we first met she claimed that she had never dated any other foreign men.  I know this to be a lie.  I asked her about her agency involvement in November of last year just to get her view of things.  That is when she lied and said she had not dated other foreigners.  There was no reason for her to lie about it.  I always assumed that she had met other foreign men prior to meeting me.

One more thing I need to add.  We had agreed to let her think over a suggestion from RWD's own Anastassia Ash that she come here on a K1 with the stipulation that I set aside some cash for her to return to Ukraine in case things went bad.  This was assuming that what she had told me about the MC was the truth and she just got scared.  We were going to reassess our relationship August 1 and go from there.  She waited all of two days after I left Kharkov before her new and improved profile went online.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:04:11 PM by GoodBrew »

Offline NJ

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this situation GoodBrew. But the good thing is that you didnt marry her. Then it could get much worse. Believe me in couple of monthes you will be thanking God that you escaped so easy.
As a matter of biology, if something bites you it is probably female.
                                           Scott M. Kruse

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »

you should write to her sculpto, and see what kind of replies you get.  

I need to set up a fake identity for baiting.. will work on it over the weekend.  

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
She had been planning her exit for at least a month prior to our wedding date.  At first I thought that she was just nervous and asked for the MC but it became clear that this was an attempt at being clever.  She has admitted to me that she thinks that she is a clever girl.  Her reply that maybe her father sold the engagement ring I took as a taunt in a "what can you do about it?" sort of way.  She spent a good deal of time mocking me during our last phone conversation.  I would rather see if I can get her removed from the foreign dating sites if I could but I appreciate the offer.

Interesting.  Ok, so I have some comments if you don't mind. 

In this case she didn't want you to meet the parents not because of shame, but, because they were in on it.  Also, by you not knowing exactly where they live it gives her an escape route should she have felt she needed it.  She was clever, just not as clever as she thinks.  She couldn't pull off the whole thing.  So, in fact, she is stupid.  ;)

Her mocking you is her guilt speaking, an attempt to wash her hands of something she knows is wrong but did anyway.

I doubt you will have success in having her removed from any sites.  They will just say you are a jilted lover seeking revenge.  It is even hard to prove as a scam and not just a seriously messed up person.. if you qualify her as a time waster you will be better off.  You could make a little site for her.. post her pics and the story and make sure to put her name in every forum, with a link to the little site.. and you will effectively put her out of business if anyone googles her name. 

BTW.. everyone googles their lady's names don't they?

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »
There were a lot of excuses as to why I could not meet mama and papa.  They are old and cannot travel in the winter, they have poor health,.........

The other red flag which I overlooked was her not removing her profile after we became engaged.  

Damn, I won't kick somebody when they are down.

I have to ask though.....do you even read the advice given on this forum?

I cannot believe what you are writing here.

Sorry, But she used you like a doormat.

And apparently tried to use you like a Government Mule to bring her here to the GoodOl'USA.

GOB
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »
I would rather see if I can get her removed from the foreign dating sites if I could but I appreciate the offer.

GB, the best thing you can do now is cut your losses and put this whore behind you.

I went through a similar situation about 5 years ago. It's the worst type of breakup of all because you can't even feel sorry for yourself after you realize she never cared a whit for you and played you for a fool.

I know it sounds impossible now, but learning a lesson like this and emerging (relatively) unscathed is something you may be profoundly grateful for someday. It was, and is, for me.

PS: Those guys who thought she did this spontaneously or that she wasn't using him from day one, I have some waterfront property in Queens that I'd like to talk to you about. PM me.

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »
Damn, I won't kick somebody when they are down.

I have to ask though.....do you even read the advice given on this forum?

I cannot believe what you are writing here.

Sorry, But she used you like a doormat.

And apparently tried to use you like a Government Mule to bring her here to the GoodOl'USA.
GOB

I was expecting this from you and I will freely admit that I effed up bigtime.  She told me that she was going to remove her profile.  I took her at her word.  The profile that I did know about was eventually removed.  I did not know about the other older profile under a different name until much later. 

Mama and papa are supposed to live in a village four hours outside Chernigov.  Whether or not this is true I have no idea.  The plan was to meet them the last time I was in Ukraine in February.  The weather sucked.  It didn't happen.  It was a convenient excuse.  As I stated in the first post I was a dupe.  She has a new profile and is looking for new suckers.  Someone will search for her name, find this thread, and learn from my f'up.   

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »

Her mocking you is her guilt speaking, an attempt to wash her hands of something she knows is wrong but did anyway.

Sculpto-

I don't know you from Adam so maybe you have a rationale for believing this. Short of that, allow me to disagree with you as that reads as if you're making an excuse for this woman.

Given that GoodBrew's story is factual, and the fact GregfromGA is stated as a friend to him, I'm inclined to believe that guilt is the one thing this woman never had in this situation. As far as she's concerned, she didn't do anything wrong. She simply exercise the option and opportunity to scam someone with masterful precision. Netted her a good sum in the end.

It would be worthwhile to note the difference in the profiles of how she looks. Simple to see she had a good source of money to spend.

GoodBrew, I'm sorry this happened. Eyes wide open from now on.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GoodBrew

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
Given that GoodBrew's story is factual, and the fact GregfromGA is stated as a friend to him, I'm inclined to believe that guilt is the one thing this woman never had in this situation. As far as she's concerned, she didn't do anything wrong. She simply exercise the option and opportunity to scam someone with masterful precision.

PS: Those guys who thought she did this spontaneously or that she wasn't using him from day one, I have some waterfront property in Queens that I'd like to talk to you about. PM me.

My only solace in this episode is that I caught on before I could be fitted with the mule suit.  She is a cold, calculating individual who had no problem using her friends in her scam. 

Offline Makkin

• Opted-Out
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
Hi,

Good call on not getting married or putting your signature to anything not deemed in your interest. You at least made the right decision in the end and that's something to be proud of. You will do better next time and have learned about things firsthand.

My best wishes to you and hope things get better fast.

Makkin
FUBAR

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »
I think she just got freaked out maybe

Sculpto, are you for real? :) It's a duck, don't call call it dove...if this woman were for real she NEVER would have parted with the ring. She would have held on hoping for hope.

Man I am sorry this happened to you, sucks beyond belief. You should publish ALL her stuff (email addy, IP addy, phone number and street address on romancescam.com so anyone googling her can read your story and be fore-warned. Sounds to me like she is just getting geared up to really start raking it in. People won't find her here. All you have published is a first name and a city. You need to be specific: Full name, address, phone numbers, IP address, things people are likely to google.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:55:25 PM by JollyRats »
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Daveman

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

My only solace in this episode is that I caught on before I could be fitted with the mule suit.  She is a cold, calculating individual who had no problem using her friends in her scam. 

And most likely they had no problem with begin recruited in the attempt.  You didn't get the mule suit, you did get at least 38% of the wedding cash back.  You didn't take the Turkey trip. And you have some first hand experience to guide you away from such crap in the future.  Perhaps you didn't come out unscathed, but far better off than some other potential eventualities could have left you.  I'd say you're in great shape to clear your head and jump back on the horse... a wiser and more adept rider this go around.

Offline dobradavid

• Alt Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Anna has shown no remorse about the trouble that she has caused my family and me, only that we did not take the trip to Turkey. Of the money that I sent her for our wedding arrangements I received about 38% of it back. There is no telling how much of the rest of it was squandered. The engagement ring has been sold. Her words.... “I left it with my father. I do not know what he has done with it. Maybe he has sold it”. It is gone.

You're actually ahead - a divorce would have cost more.

DD

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
You're actually ahead - a divorce would have cost more.

DD

And probably worse. She probably would have gone the abused spouce route :(
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 04:53:55 PM »
Sculpto-

I don't know you from Adam so maybe you have a rationale for believing this. Short of that, allow me to disagree with you as that reads as if you're making an excuse for this woman.

Given that GoodBrew's story is factual, and the fact GregfromGA is stated as a friend to him, I'm inclined to believe that guilt is the one thing this woman never had in this situation. As far as she's concerned, she didn't do anything wrong. She simply exercise the option and opportunity to scam someone with masterful precision. Netted her a good sum in the end.

It would be worthwhile to note the difference in the profiles of how she looks. Simple to see she had a good source of money to spend.

GoodBrew, I'm sorry this happened. Eyes wide open from now on.

GQ, I don't doubt in the least it is factual.  After reviewing her new profile and seeing the pics it is clear to me she is "working".  That doesn't mean she didn't have some feelings for GB.  She spent time with him, had sex with him, laughed and whatever.. until she tried to implement the "money shot" of her evil plan.   Without hearing her excuses/story there is no way to know just how calculating she actually was from the beginning.  But, one thing I do know about people is when they feel guilt they will often make fun of the person they wronged in a feeble attempt to clear their own sour heart.  Believe me, I am not making excuses for her.  I wouldn't be willing to bait her if I thought she had even an ounce of innocence.  And trust me.. by the time I get done with her.. she will be scared to try her games again. 

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »
  And trust me.. by the time I get done with her.. she will be scared to try her games again. 

Sic Em Sculpto :)!!!!!!!!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541475
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3726
Most Online Ever: 12701