It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: moscow  (Read 11543 times)

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
moscow
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:39:54 AM »
Arrived here last week. Has been several years since i have been in Moscow, yet most of my time on previous trips were spent in St Pitre.
I have a good friend who has lived here for a couple years and has been asking when i will visit........ so i have finally came.

I used visahq to get my 3 year visa, i was happy with their service, i filled out their form and they used it to 'properly' fill the application out and sent it to me to be signed. Off went application, photo and passport and 10 days later i had my passport back with Russian visa.

Used asap tickets and got price of $542 2 weeks before trip. I am satying at Mercure Arbat and in a couple days i will stay at an apt, this is done to get registered. I much better prefer apts, more freedoms , plus i do enjoy cooking some, especially breakfast.

Both places i am staying are within a block of Old Arbat, so plenty of peple walking around. I would advise this is a really good area  to stay , even better for first timers.

I spent last weekend with my friend meeting all kinds of people.  First at a Inter-nations event where over 100 people got together to socialize. Most people are there to meet othets and practice their English skills. Quite a few women there, I just floated around speaking to as many as i can with my friend introducing me to ones he knew. Of course, other than subject of telling them about Los Angeles, I was interested in hearing about their views about their economy. Most lnow someone that have lost jobs and it is difficult to find another. I didn't meet anyone there who is unemployed.  Next day, my friend met me at metro near my hotel with a couple girls and we went to Gorkiy Park. It was like first day of spring.... many many people out for the day. For the naysayers,  you would have never known these people are in a fledging economy, all in good spirits....maybe it was the nice weather?? We spent time walking around park, it is huge, and finally arrived at place next to the river where people were dancing. My interest peaked. One area had freestyle dancing with partners and other area salsa dancing. It was FILLED with girls in 20's ..some in 30's. My friend warned me about this.... i didn't believe him, all those gitls looking for someone to dance with!!! Probably best time i had in a long time. I was constantly ASKED to dance, it was great and i am not the greatest dancer. There were plenty of girls above looking on at the dancing. As an icebreaker, this is great way to meet girls. THEY COME TO YOU!!  I even saw this in Kiev in a park on Taras Shevchenko. I highly recommend learning to dance salsa or even bachata (simple).

I met with one women who i started talking to just recently. I asked if she can show around centre. She is one person who lost her good job because of economy. She has been interviewing but hasn't been hired, there are many applicants i would guess, in meantime she freelances teaching English, very educated women.

On a side note, i left one bag at airport when i was buying a sim card and train ticket.... trying to hurry to catch express train into centre. I realized this when i was on train. I wasn't sure exactly where i left it but i thought someone found it and kept it. It had a jacket snd large bottle of Malibu rum. Next day i got a call from a girl asking my name and if i lost anything.... i said yes, turns out it was left in phone store and girl that helped me found it....
Since she had my number she called to let me know she had it, wow was a lucky!!!

Ps- spelling might be terrible, hard to type on a cell.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
moscow
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:58:03 AM »
Great report and wonderful that someone honest found your bag

Please tell us more - as your thumbs alllow

:D
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
moscow
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:38:03 AM »

Used asap tickets and got price of $542 2 weeks before trip. I am satying at Mercure Arbat and in a couple days i will stay at an apt, this is done to get registered. I much better prefer apts, more freedoms , plus i do enjoy cooking some, especially breakfast.

Please tell me more about your tickets. $542 from LA to Moscow?

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
Please tell me more about your tickets. $542 from LA to Moscow?
Not much to tell, on skyscanner, which i usually use the prices were $650-$700 and the better times were over $700. I flew with KLM with 1 stop each way and 2 & 4 hour connections. You need to actually speak to someone on the phone where you express the days, times, stops you are looking for...... and they look for you. I checked, there was no one else on any site i have ever used before that came back with such low cost on short notice. I was told to be sure to give at least 7 days notice with 21 days best.

Online Faux Pas

moscow
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
Not much to tell, on skyscanner, which i usually use the prices were $650-$700 and the better times were over $700. I flew with KLM with 1 stop each way and 2 & 4 hour connections. You need to actually speak to someone on the phone where you express the days, times, stops you are looking for...... and they look for you. I checked, there was no one else on any site i have ever used before that came back with such low cost on short notice. I was told to be sure to give at least 7 days notice with 21 days best.

My wife and I have been surfing the usual search engines (mostly the wife) and not finding anything less to Moscow than $950 and we're in the mid-South. We are both heading over on different dates in July/Aug. I think we're looking to far out

Offline msmobyone

moscow
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »
My wife and I have been surfing the usual search engines (mostly the wife) and not finding anything less to Moscow than $950 and we're in the mid-South. We are both heading over on different dates in July/Aug. I think we're looking to far out

.mid July 22nd from Atlanta to Moscow returning mid Aug 21st with Turkish - less than 650 Euro and 30 kg baggage each in the hold... metal knives and forks and decent food

Skyscanner.net
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Online Faux Pas

moscow
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
.mid July 22nd from Atlanta to Moscow returning mid Aug 21st with Turkish - less than 650 Euro and 30 kg baggage each in the hold... metal knives and forks and decent food

Skyscanner.net

Also better than what she's finding but not better than asaptickets.com.

Offline msmobyone

moscow
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
ASAP can't  even match my skyscanner price... I am sure the prices vary according to the IP address , sometimes

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
moscow
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »
 Nice report, LA man!

First at a Inter-nations event where over 100 people got together to socialize.

Awesome events! You can find a lot of their events here. Although there is an American Chamber of Commerce in Moscow, Internations trends younger, and has a nice variety in their schedule each month. You can access it here: http://www.internations.org/moscow-expats/events

We spent time walking around park, it is huge, and finally arrived at place next to the river where people were dancing. My interest peaked. One area had freestyle dancing with partners and other area salsa dancing. It was FILLED with girls in 20's ..some in 30's. My friend warned me about this.... i didn't believe him, all those gitls looking for someone to dance with!!! Probably best time i had in a long time. I was constantly ASKED to dance, it was great and i am not the greatest dancer.

Gorky Park is the happening place these days. It leads down to the Moscow river where folk like to watch the boats go by. The dancing platform is there too, and dancing is something Russians learn in elementary school all the way thru graduation. It is as popular as ice cream. We like to rent bikes and pedal thru the park.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
ASAP can't  even match my skyscanner price... I am sure the prices vary according to the IP address , sometimes
   Did you actually call and give your preferred details with dates? You didn't mention if there are any layovers, that is one thing turkishairlines has on cheaper flights.

Offline msmobyone

moscow
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
   Did you actually call and give your preferred details with dates? You didn't mention if there are any layovers, that is one thing turkishairlines has on cheaper flights.
##naturally, not... this is your exercise and I have no idea of preferences - other than your initial criteria... I was just trying to get you a better price..based on that data

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
##naturally, not... this is your exercise and I have no idea of preferences - other than your initial criteria... I was just trying to get you a better price..based on that data
I was just curious, you gave dates, a price and an airline and that asap tickets could not match(inferring you called)There are many things involved with cost of a ticket.... I am just trying to give options to others.  Btw- that 650 euros is good price for summer travel.

Offline msmobyone

moscow
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
Hw I do it..

I use skyscanner.. I choose the departure NATION - not city - and the arrival city - not a specific airport

Skyscanner lets you look at a whole month - so you can get the best day...and away you go.

They've just released an app

I found some bizarre things... it was cheaper to fly to London - via Helsinki with Finnair - from Bangkok - than only flying to Helsinki - using my method....

Online Faux Pas

moscow
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »

Au contrer, I used the exact same parameters on both. asap was $499, skyscanner was $650. Doesn't mean anything until we get ready to book. Previously on our usual engines the lowest was $940 so, this experiment might have saved us a few bucks. Sky scanner was/is impressive as well. Thank you both for turning me on to them  ;D

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
moscow
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »
I just used Skyscanner/Hipmunk for a O/W fare and got $815    :clapping:
 ASAP says $1573 using the exact same search.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
moscow
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Sorry to go slightly :offtopic: LAman, because I will follow your Moscow exploits with interest, but here's a thread that was started by Larry1 a couple of years ago:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=17107

All the usual suspects (including LAman) contributed their thoughts!  8)

Offline AkMike

moscow
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »
I just used Skyscanner/Hipmunk for a O/W fare and got $815    :clapping:
 ASAP says $1573 using the exact same search.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A bit more of an update. Hipmunk.com forwarded me to another site based in Spain for ticketing. They bumped the price $80. After that I went to the carrier's website and booked the exact same flights for....... (drum roll please).... $580!  :clapping:

Offline Bounder

moscow
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
I much better prefer apts, more freedoms , plus i do enjoy cooking some, especially breakfast.

So wait, you like breakfast and you're an American, and you don't drink coffee????

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:45 PM »
Back in Moscow again, just venting!!

Went through the most grueling experience in quite some time, a 17 hour journey
From Kharkiv to Moscow on a bus, nice bus BUT to be waiting at the border to cross for almost 6 hours is down right unthinkable..."...... it was the Russian side. I was lumped in with Ukrainians, I do wonder if on purpose. Couldn't understand why cars and big trucks whizzing by and all the buses lined up waiting. I mean I was only 1 hour from border. Oh well, I did make it to my destination in tact. Yuk this rain. Gave up sunshine in Ukraine. BUt I am in Moscow for City Day celebrations.......wouldn't miss out on any BIG party!!! )))

Maybe I will fill in the past 2 weeks.

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None (yet)
moscow
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 11:24:19 PM »
Went through the most grueling experience in quite some time, a 17 hour journey

Jeebus man. Almost a long as the flight over to Europe. Backbreaking.

Offline msmob

moscow
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
If you had asked, I could have told you LAman... lots of 'games' being played by both sides at frontiers - almost as if both sides don't want cross border traffic..

UA border guards lifted 2,000 in Roubles - at the 'border' with Crimea when our friends 19 year old grand-daughter was on a bus-trip from Sochi to Kherson - via Crimea - 'to speed up her transit' - as the bus was leaving and she was still being questioned.

FAR better to fly ( in your case via via Minsk ...)

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 11:56:26 PM »
If you had asked, I could have told you LAman... lots of 'games' being played by both sides at frontiers - almost as if both sides don't want cross border traffic..

UA border guards lifted 2,000 in Roubles - at the 'border' with Crimea when our friends 19 year old grand-daughter was on a bus-trip from Sochi to Kherson - via Crimea - 'to speed up her transit' - as the bus was leaving and she was still being questioned.

FAR better to fly ( in your case via via Minsk ...)

I am now understanding these little games being played. Nothing great like these little babushkas laying into the border guards!!!!
There was a babushka with.....like 18-20 bags to check through, took a good half hour to get all her goods through.
Took all of 10 minutes to get off bus, grab my suitcase go through passport control, through machine and walk to other side knowing I have another 10 hours waiting.

Yep, msmob, flying is far better. (Btw- iPad wrote 'mambo 'for you)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:04:32 AM by LAman »

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »
Journey started 2 weeks ago, so this is like a show which starts in the middle and proceeds to the present. Flight was on Aeroflot direct from LAX, nice flight 10+ hours, sat next to a guy from Belarus that lives in Sacramento, seems most of his family is in US. Making good money shipping produce throughout country. family business.

All went well through process at airport. Had my Malibu rum( purchased duty free) with me.))
Love Sheretemevo, nice clean airport and NOT lots of crowds, more on that later.

Pre-purchased my  aeroexpress ticket and off on belarusskaya and on to metro. Hey my old troika card still worked with balance. Luckily, since there were lines to buy metro ticket, even at machines. Bit of a hassle with carry on and suitcase but squeezes into metro. BTW- going through airport stopped by megafon to get Russian SIM card , although I did want MTS this time. Called my friend to let him know I was on my way. He met me at Novotel Kievskaya where I was staying. He brought my suitcase I left from January, long story, yes involves a girl ))). I brought bunch of stuff from US to him, apparently some things way too expensive in Moscow.
Don't like these tablets for writing....

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
Have not seen this posted here yet. Good news for those visiting Kiev, new high speed railway connection between Boryspil and Main railway station. Should be running at end of next month. At 80 uah, very cheap connection, cheaper than skybus.

http://kiev.unian.info/10312977-pm-groysman-kyiv-boryspil-railbus-to-be-launched-in-nov.html

Online krimster2

moscow
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
I took the train from this station to Berlin with my wife and two kids
on the first-class overnight sleeper with two bunk beds
disappointed by the lack of scenery during the journey
for some reason, view always gets blocked

cigarette smugglers on board!
so cops search everyone at Polish and German borders
but American family not so much
do my little girls look like cigarette smugglers?
we all smile and look adorable
with my suitcase full of cash and smuggled art treasures
suckers

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
moscow
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
Have not seen this posted here yet. Good news for those visiting Kiev, new high speed railway connection between Boryspil and Main railway station. Should be running at end of next month. At 80 uah, very cheap connection, cheaper than skybus.

http://kiev.unian.info/10312977-pm-groysman-kyiv-boryspil-railbus-to-be-launched-in-nov.html

That's astoundingly good news LAman :D Thanks for sharing!

Would love to see the look on the taxi drivers  faces when that news came in, lol. Even with the likes of Uber, etc the train at 80 ghrivna is no doubt the cheapest option and does away with dealing with dodgy taxi drivers. So long as the hotel/apartment is near the train station of course.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline LAman

moscow
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
That's astoundingly good news LAman :D Thanks for sharing!

Would love to see the look on the taxi drivers  faces when that news came in, lol. Even with the likes of Uber, etc the train at 80 ghrivna is no doubt the cheapest option and does away with dealing with dodgy taxi drivers. So long as the hotel/apartment is near the train station of course.

There will be plenty of taxi's at railway station, not all people know metro or where your hotel/apt is. Not always easy to find an apt, especially at night.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
moscow
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

There will be plenty of taxi's at railway station, not all people know metro or where your hotel/apt is. Not always easy to find an apt, especially at night.

That's true, will cut down on the cost though as far less distance.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline LAman

Re: new economy fare
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
Just bought tickets for a flight to Moscow and discovered a new economy fare. Used to be where any ticket fare across the ocean was automatic free check-in luggage. Now you have to be careful, there is a new 'basic' or 'light' economy fares do not include check in baggage which could add $45-$60 each way to your fare. If you have 2 or 3 stops I am not sure if there is charges for each segment each way.  And it is not on all airlines across the board.

I used asap tickets this time, as they can actually tell you if air fare has basic economy or not and they had really good pricing. My fav skyscanner was a mess, many fares quoted were wrong or not available. I am sure other sites had problems too.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2204
Total: 2213

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM