Forum > Questions to Russian Ladies / Спросите Русских Женщин

Antiques in Russia

(1/24) > >>

IAmZon:
I have a very good friend who has a very large antique mall (34,000 square feet).  For many years, he has imported antiques from the Amsterdam.  But currency exchange rates with the euro has made that less attractive.

Has anyone imported a container of "antiques" from any of the FSU countries.  These could be formal or provincial pieces of furniture, architectural fixtures, anything ...

Would welcome comments and direction.

Thank you

Gator:
Bad idea.  Russia's economy has improved dramatically and the flow of Russian antiques is into the country, not out.  Even before this, I saw few stores with period pieces.  Further, the Russian currency has also appreciated  vs the dollar.

IAmZon:
I don't think actual treasures (real formal, old, and rare pieces of art, decorative art, artifacts)  can be found at a deal - that is for sure. 

I am involved in the Luxury goods industry and am well aware that Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Parts of the Middle East are the only Boom towns now (all oil related).

My thinking here is for Provencial pieces (Pieces that are old, and have charm, but no intricate detail, bronze, fancy stuff) and architectural salvage - gates; elaborate hand carved elements in architecture. Interestingly, in Boom towns - especially boom towns with age, "out with the old and in with the new" is the spirit of the times.  Clearly the US dollar would buy more in Romania, or Ukraine, then Stockholm, or Amsterdam?!?!!??!?!?

I am wondering if there are antique / architectural salvage aggregators (wholesalers), and perhaps more importantly, if there are "unique difficulties" exporting containers of used furniture, old art, architectural salvage.

deccie:

--- Quote from: rivardco on December 14, 2007, 04:53:27 PM ---I don't think actual treasures (real formal, old, and rare pieces of art, decorative art, artifacts)  can be found at a deal - that is for sure. 

I am involved in the Luxury goods industry and am well aware that Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Parts of the Middle East are the only Boom towns now (all oil related).

My thinking here is for Provencial pieces (Pieces that are old, and have charm, but no intricate detail, bronze, fancy stuff) and architectural salvage - gates; elaborate hand carved elements in architecture. Interestingly, in Boom towns - especially boom towns with age, "out with the old and in with the new" is the spirit of the times.  Clearly the US dollar would buy more in Romania, or Ukraine, then Stockholm, or Amsterdam?!?!!??!?!?

I am wondering if there are antique / architectural salvage aggregators (wholesalers), and perhaps more importantly, if there are "unique difficulties" exporting containers of used furniture, old art, architectural salvage.

--- End quote ---

I think the paperwork involved for you will be astronomical. There is a general ban on genuine antiques leaving the country. i.e. items over 100 years old. And for items less than that I expect the onus will be on you to prove they are NOT 100 years old. Expect lots of paperwork and gift giving.
This is not as trifling as it seems. I recall several stories of people being stopped at the airport for attempting to take "cutural artifacts" out of the country.
A standard tourist scam is to sell an antique for a cheap price in a tourist stall and then to get the person who bought it stopped at the border, item confiscated and then returned to to the seller for resale I think there is a ban on medals too.

Lily:

--- Quote from: rivardco on December 14, 2007, 03:22:16 PM ---I have a very good friend who has a very large antique mall (34,000 square feet).  For many years, he has imported antiques from the Amsterdam.  But currency exchange rates with the euro has made that less attractive.

Has anyone imported a container of "antiques" from any of the FSU countries.  These could be formal or provincial pieces of furniture, architectural fixtures, anything ...

Would welcome comments and direction.

Thank you

--- End quote ---

Wow, what an interesting friend you have... 8) would you introduce me to him?  ;D Kidding.

By Russian law, an antique is every piece that is 50 or more years old.

Yes there is a formal procedure for exporting old things out of Russia. I could write it here but some research is needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version