It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Dating Game, circa 2018 comments thread  (Read 4563 times)

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
The Dating Game, circa 2018 comments thread
« on: November 25, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »
Place your comments here for this thread: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=23306

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: The Dating Game, circa 2018 comments thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »
You preface your post with this --
I have noticed that threads on these forums often get derailed by off-topic posts or dogmatic arguments. To avoid polluting this thread please post any comments here:

BUT --if you are going to attempt an all encompassing advice thread --at least get the information correct --here --you wrote-
Visas

Most westerners can visit most FSU countries without a visa these days. The obvious exception is the Russian Federation. It is not hard to get a visa to Russia. Pretty much all you need to do is to purchase or arrange for a letter of invitation, get some passport photos made, fill out the application (online), and submit your application with passport and payment. Apply for either a tourist or business visa. You can only study at a university on a study visa even for a short course. You may not be granted a 1-3 year multi-entry business visa initially, only after obtaining a 3 month visa.

That is not correct --  in referencing Ukraine -- a visa is required for some western countries that has to be applied for in advance ( rules have just changed again and from new year that is again the case)  . You are not visa free --you are granted a visa on arrival. That is not a forgone conclusion -- so you have expressed it incorrectly .Compliance of certain terms and acceptance of conditions is implicit -- and in theory entry could be not granted .So-- some advance preparation just in case is a much better idea.Additionally --the visa is limited/

On GIFTS --- there needs to be a distinction between an established relationship and meeting "cold" for the first time. Once in a relationship -- then do whatever -no problem with that. BUT --guys going to a first meeting loaded with stuff for the whole family and her friends -- dumb idea.
My view -- maybe have something small & modest from your home area-- but even then-- I would not produce until I had a better feel on situation ( that may only be 15 minutes --or 5 !!)
In other threads this last few days-I have been pointing out that you can buy near enough everything in Ukraine-- some still seem to be promoting ideas of the 1990's when consumer goods were in short supply .To me -tailoring to what she needs is far preferable to spending a lot of money and making a big effort on something  is a wast of energy.
Romantic gestures should only come once the one on one situation is clearer.

MONEY -- USD$ are good -- but EU equally so

Overall --a lot of good observations -I particularly like your FSUW "soft power" comments ! ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:45:40 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline rwd123

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »
I had a Ukrainian business visa so am not familiar with the detail of the visa on arrival process. However, things are still easier than 20 years ago. No registration or migration cards in Ukraine, yay! Many other FSU countries have introduced visa free or visa on arrival for western countries. I think only Russia and Turkmenistan are the remaining countries where you need a visa upfront.

Jay - I completely agree with your comments re gifts. As I said I was casually dating, not conversing for months on end, so my comments relate to my circumstances. I didn't stress the word -local- but IMO gifts are always better if they are representative of where you are from. In an established relationship I have no issues with bling, electronics, paid holidays, etc. I think anything more than flowers or chocolates is overboard and sometimes I'd rock up with nothing - though I'd expect to pay for food/drinks and taxis.

Gifts are not only for dates, but for other chance meetings. I always take toys because even something that costs $3-5 can be a big deal to a child.

USD is still better than EUR. May be equally so in Eastern Europe but if you get to Siberia or Central Asia then USD are better. Also more common to have USD bank accounts. There's more to the FSU than Eastern Europe!

Offline MarinaSirena

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:20:49 AM »
If you visit Russia you must visit Stolby)))

Спасибо ) :)

Offline Davo2

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 05:46:49 AM »
"Be aware Russia has certain laws pertaining to bringing in prescription medication"

Has anyone had experience bringing a strong prescription pain medication into Russia, such as Endone (Oxycodone)?

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
"Be aware Russia has certain laws pertaining to bringing in prescription medication"

Has anyone had experience bringing a strong prescription pain medication into Russia, such as Endone (Oxycodone)?

Unfortunately there's little guidance on this issue from the US state department. From the US State Department:

Prescription Medication:

Russia prohibits some prescription and over the counter drugs that are legal and commonly used in the United States.
    Carry a copy of the valid U.S. prescription, including a notarized translation into Russian, when entering Russia with prescription medications.
    Prescription medication should be in its original packaging.

It might be a good idea to get your doctor to write a note, translated into Russian, on why you need the drug and exactly how much and how often you need to take it. I would also add that you might want to check with the Russian embassy before leaving and get their advice on how to handle arriving in Russia with Oxycodone.

I've heard stories of people being delayed for hours trying to explain the drugs they're carrying and in other cases they're carrying drugs like Oyxcodone and being waved through. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any set laws on the issue.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k9195545-Bringing_prescriptions_through_customs-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/RussianFederation.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:40:45 AM by DaveNY »

Offline Blighty

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »

I travel with prescription drugs, and so carry a letter from the local hospital confirming my medical condition & prescribed medication. Never had any problems in EU/Ukraine whilst carrying my drugs. Russia will just be the same.

Offline rwd123

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:32:25 AM »
If you visit Russia you must visit Stolby)))

Спасибо ) :)
That's what I'm told!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1866
Total: 1877

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM