It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Bad Golfers Matter  (Read 2254 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Bad Golfers Matter
« on: September 29, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
I am a member of golf's lower 99%.
I  am an indifferent golfer, and there's no way I could ever make it to  the professional level. I will never put in the practice time to be the  best. I will never have the shots, skills, or mental toughness to "make  it" in the sport. I just never felt like working all that hard at it.
However,  I am a part of the golfing community and, as such, feel I should be  paid by the top 1% of golfers for what I do. It isn't fair that those  players who have worked harder, have studied the game, have better  equipment, and are more skilled and dedicated should make all that BIG  money
Where's my share?
I'm a Victim!
The  top 1% should pay for my club memberships, green fees, lessons, and buy  me new clubs, balls, clothes and shoes, and pay me some of their  winnings. They can afford it. They are "The Rich." The whole system  should be changed to accommodate people like me.
I  think we should get together and occupy a golf course and demand that  those who are better at what they do, pay for us who generally stink. I  think we should get some paint and cover streets and parking lots with  "BAD GOLFERS MATTER”. "BGM”
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Bad Golfers Matter
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:04:39 PM »
I  am an indifferent golfer, and there's no way I could ever make it to  the professional level. I will never put in the practice time to be the  best. I will never have the shots, skills, or mental toughness to "make  it" in the sport. I just never felt like working all that hard at it.
However,  I am a part of the golfing community and, as such, feel I should be  paid by the top 1% of golfers for what I do. It isn't fair that those  players who have worked harder, have studied the game, have better  equipment, and are more skilled and dedicated should make all that BIG  money
Where's my share?
I'm a Victim!
The  top 1% should pay for my club memberships, green fees, lessons, and buy  me new clubs, balls, clothes and shoes, and pay me some of their  winnings. They can afford it. They are "The Rich." The whole system  should be changed to accommodate people like me.
I  think we should get together and occupy a golf course and demand that  those who are better at what they do, pay for us who generally stink. I  think we should get some paint and cover streets and parking lots with  "BAD GOLFERS MATTER”. "BGM”

Holy Jeepers, ML! When did you decide to convert and become a Democrat?!?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
"BAD GOLFERS MATTER”. "BGM”

You're discriminating since you're not including bad bowlers.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: Bad Golfers Matter (m and good golfers are wiser )
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:26:51 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/15/rory-mcilroy-donald-trump-coronavirus-criticism

“I don’t know if he’d want to play with me again after what I just said, but I wouldn’t [play with him again],” said McIlroy, who resides in the Florida town of Palm Beach not far from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort. “I felt I would have been making more of a statement if I had turned it down. It was a round of golf and nothing more.”

Offline Gator

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:20:47 AM »
ML, do as I do, play shorter tees.  It hurt my pride when I first  did this after the years had slowed my clubhead speed.  Now I am back to hitting par 5s in 2. 

However, there is always a price.  The "system" lowered my handicap commensurate with the shorter distances from tee to green.   

Offline Gator

Re: Bad Golfers Matter (m and good golfers are wiser )
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »

I don’t know if he’d want to play with me again after what I just said, but I wouldn’t [play with him again],” said McIlroy, who resides in the Florida town of Palm Beach not far from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort.

Golf is a game about sportsmanship and fellowship.   I understand why a professional competitor would not play with Trump.  I would avoid playing with anyone who behaved like Trump.  Independent of golf,  I still love the political policies and especially the results. 

Reminds me of playing with my Dad when I was a young lad.  My Dad was a real good golfer, an achievement considering he was a "country boy" who dropped out of high school.   We were vacationing in the NC mountains and were paired at a public course with a stranger, who just happened to have Trump's persona.   This stranger bragged about his game and invited my Dad to bet him.   

When my father declined, I asked why, saying my Dad could beat almost all players.  My father says, "That stranger is not as good as his talk, yet he is still probably better than I think he is."    Lesson for life. 

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 11:45:05 AM »

Offline jone

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
ML, do as I do, play shorter tees.  It hurt my pride when I first  did this after the years had slowed my clubhead speed.  Now I am back to hitting par 5s in 2. 

However, there is always a price.  The "system" lowered my handicap commensurate with the shorter distances from tee to green.

I play with shorter tees also.  But I tell everyone I play with that my tees are six inches.  Oh, those aren't the tees you were talking about?   
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline fathertime

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
I play with shorter tees also.  But I tell everyone I play with that my tees are six inches.  Oh, those aren't the tees you were talking about?
...and 6 inches ain't nothing to be proud of stubbs.

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

Gator-

At first read, I thought you meant 'tees' as in 'wooden tees' instead of Hole Tees.

Anyway, IINM on average, the difference between blue to white tees, distance wise, is really only about 2-300 yards, maybe 400 at most (?).

Just thinking maybe it isn't so much the distance but rather tee location relative to pin location which usually looms more problematic than distance? *Playing the course*
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
"BAD GOLFERS MATTER”. "BGM”

I've never broken 100 (not counting par 3 courses), but I think
that I should be allowed to play in the Masters and I want one of
those Jackets!

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:14 PM »

Just thinking maybe it isn't so much the distance but rather tee location relative to pin location which usually looms more problematic than distance? *Playing the course*

Agree, it is important to tee from the side to hit away from trouble.  My trouble is distance.   

An award plaque on my wall commemorates my first hole-in-one.  It gives date and info: 13th hole, 165 yards, 7-iron.  It is all carry over water and that day I hit past into a slope, and it ran back into the hole.    Here's a photo taken in front and right of the tees.

25 years later on the same hole I play from white tees (about 140 yds) and still use a 7-iron if no wind.  That hole measures 178-yd from the blue tee marker.  To a back pin it could play 190yd, and  into the wind I would need my driver.  That's no fun.  A few years ago, I went to Blue/White tees.  Now play White.  Red/White is coming.

I used to piss in a straight line.  I knew I would get old, but did not expect it to happen so fast. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:52:41 PM by Gator »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
Interesting hole. Challenging if there's wind regardless of direction.

I think I can see the pin, just above/left of the trap. Missing distance front/back of green to pin, and speed of green, @178 still a good 6 for me, trapped, to limit the bounce. Just to play it safe and hope to par the card.

If wind comes to play, I'd even consider 'laying up', chip and two-putt, and walk away with a bogie 4. These sucker pins/holes are what causes those dreaded snowman a lot of beginners experience.

I'm not good enough to repeatedly play those risk/reward holes.

True story, my first time out golfing after 4 lessons, my buddy and I played a course called Dominguez Hills here in LA. It's an 18-hole, par 3 public course. 7th hole 134 yds, undulating green. Tee'd off the rubber tee on the mat, Dunlop 'Seve Ballesteros' beginner's set, regular flex 7 iron, Pinnacle...ball hits the front of the green, rolls, as it rolled it disappears/appears 3x. The fourth time, it never surfaced again. American Golf manages the courses, so when I turned in our signed scorecard, they sent me a plaque, 3 sleeves of balls, 2 pairs of gloves...My first ace. Two weeks later, Westchester Golf, by LAX, 4th hole 167 yards. One bounce. Same Management company, same drill.

I thought this game is easy. After all, that's exactly the point. Put the ball in the hole in as a few swings as you can. It's all downhill since for me. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 06:44:29 PM »
Two weeks later, Westchester Golf, by LAX, 4th hole 167 yards. One bounce. Same Management company, same drill.

Two aces in two weeks.   :applause:

I have had only 3 in my whole life.  I play with a 2-handicap who at age 50 is still waiting for his first. 

Regarding the 13th hole I pictured, there is no layup.  Bordering the right of the cart path is a swamp, a large swamp.  Only 15 yds of grass left of the cart path before the lake the lake.   

For an aerial view, go to the following page, scroll down a short distance, and click on "SATELLITE COURSE LAYOUT."  It's not California.

http://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/21732-tampa-palms-golf-country-club#layout

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
Another peril awaits the golfer:   

Golf ball diver survives battle with alligator
April 29, 2008

By Catherine E. Shoichet And Alexandra Zayas
St. Petersburg Times

TAMPA — Alligators have nudged and nipped Ike Monreal many times in the past 14 years.

As a golf ball diver, he gets used to it.

But in the murky waters of Hole 13 at the Tampa Palms Golf and Country Club, the 62-year-old professional met an altogether different reptile, one determined to kill him.

"For seven minutes, I thought I was history," Monreal said.

The struggle began with a surprise attack from behind Saturday afternoon. The gator's jaws clamped down on an arm, its teeth piercing the three layers of wet suit and clothing Monreal wears to keep warm.

Then came the death roll, a gator's trademark rapid spin to disorient and drown its prey.

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING IN CASE YOU ARE EVER IN A SIMILAR SITUATION

Monreal of Port St. Lucie fought back. He jabbed his thumb into the alligator's eye.

"When he rolled again, I just rolled with him," he said. "I knew I had to become offensive or I was going to lose my life."

For reasons known only to the gator, it let go. Monreal shouted for help. Nearby golfers rushed to his aid.

He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, where he was treated for a dislocated left shoulder and broken upper arm.

On Saturday night, officials said they had trapped the 7- to 8-foot alligator that attacked Monreal.

Not so fast, Monreal said Sunday.

"They got the wrong one. Absolutely," he said. "This one was much bigger and extremely aggressive, and now he's got a bad eye socket."

State-licensed trapper Julie Harter captured a gator at the country club at 8 p.m. Saturday, less than four hours after the attack.

The trapper thinks she caught the right alligator because it took the bait immediately, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Gary Morse said. But the golf course manager has her number, in case another suspicious alligator appears.

The gator will be destroyed, its hide and meat sold. Proceeds will help fund the commission's Nuisance Alligator Program.

Attacks involving golf-ball diving are not uncommon, Morse said. The scenario is even mentioned in the commission's nuisance alligator fact sheet. When a swimmer accidentally bumps into a gator, the reptile may bite in defense.

"It's something you might expect to happen with a job like retrieving golf balls from a pond in alligator country," Morse said. But, at about 8 cents per ball, Monreal said the job pays very well, enough to support himself, his wife and three sons.

"8 cents per ball"  and "it pays very well."  That indicates there are a zillion balls in the water, many deposited by me.   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1965
Total: 1976

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM