It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: air flights to Russia  (Read 10248 times)

Offline lawman65

air flights to Russia
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:50:51 PM »
Anyone care to input on flights to Moscow and airports. I heard you have to travel from one airport to another to catch a second flight.  Can you make arrangment with the airline, taxi? any dangers traveling to Russia? Lawman

Offline Todd

air flights to Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:59:20 PM »
Watch out for the taxi drivers.  I had a very bad experience with one going to the airport from dowtown.  We had an agreed upon price to drop my fiance off and then go to the airport.  That amount suddenly doubled when we got to the airport, and he wouldn't let me at my bags until I paid.  I think that this was all part of his scheme.  As when I walked my fiance' to her grandparents door, he took the opportunity to go through my bags and helped himself to my IPOD.  All in all, a very expensive cab ride.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
air flights to Russia
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
http://www.domodedovo.ru/index_en.asp

http://avia.travel.ru/info/svo.html/

http://www.sheremetyevo-airport.ru/schedule/?act=def_online

If i have not my car I prefer public transport:? but not taxi (such greedy guys:shock::shock:)

(any way let's they write a price at a paper to you before you put your bags in their taxi. Though it may be useless as well:?)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 01:20:00 PM by Elen »

air flights to Russia
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:23:32 PM »
Todd, you actually got off cheap. NEVER leave your bags with a driver that you don't know! Don't even get out of the car before the driver does or else you could be standing there empty handed while your bags cruise off into the sunset without you.

Offline Todd

air flights to Russia
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 05:14:15 AM »
I assumed that because my hotel called for a taxi that the driver would be on the up and up.  The hotel that I was staying at was the Marriot Aurora, probably a 3 star property .  However, your point is well taken; I probably shouldn't have let down my guard like that, but I didn't want her family to think ill of me by not carrying her bags up for her.

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
air flights to Russia
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 06:23:02 AM »
Todd,

I highly recommend the Marriott Royal Aurora in Moscow Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel  their accomidations are first rate (5 star hotel) and they are just a short walk for Red Square. If you did not like the Aurora (and I can not imagine why there is also the Marriott Grand. If you call ahead and ask they will have one of their cars and driver pick you up at the airport (do not ask for a taxi), he will be waiting outside of customs with a Marriott sign with your name on it. The will also handle your visa registration for you.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 06:27:00 AM by TigerPaws »

Offline Bruno

air flights to Russia
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:24:07 AM »
Tiger, have you forget the first post of Todd...

[line]
This is my first post, and I thought that I would share some experiences as well as ask for advice on money saving ideas on communication.

[line]

Everybody can find wonderfull the Marriot Royal Aurora in Moscow... but when you receive the bill, be ready for a hearth attack... with standart room from 379$ night... with luxe room at 1000$ night... and if you wish, you have more high price suite...

I don't think that so hotel is for people who will saving money on communication...

Don't forget, you have the chance to have all the the life : money and cute lady... you are at the top but it is not the same for several of us... our electron have a more low spin level

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
air flights to Russia
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 07:32:06 AM »
Quote from: Bruno
Tiger, have you forget the first post of Todd...

[line]

Everybody can find wonderfull the Marriot Royal Aurora in Moscow... but when you receive the bill, be ready for a hearth attack... with standart room from 379$ night... with luxe room at 1000$ night... and if you wish, you have more high price suite...

I don't think that so hotel is for people who will saving money on communication...

Don't forget, you have the chance to have all the the life : money and cute lady... you are at the top but it is not the same for several of us... our electron have a more low spin level

Bruno,

Sorry I sometimes forget, yes the Aurora can be considered expensive and maybe too much for some, still you generally get what you pay for in this life.

Offline Bruce

air flights to Russia
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 07:37:28 AM »
I thought the Rossija (also on Red Square, accross from St. Basil's cathedral) was decent enough.  Last time I was there it was about $120 in the renovated section, so it was a great deal.  I believe I was there a little more than two years ago.  I also had the good fortune of staying in the other Marriot (a good 5 blocks or so from Red Square.  Of course the Marriot is stupendous, but it was quite pricey.  I would recommend the Rossija, if it still exists (I had heard on the internet that it may be razed, but I believe that was false).  Elen, could you set us straight on this? 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Bruno

air flights to Russia
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 07:44:25 AM »
Tiger, the Aurora is not expensive... when i have see the picture of room, it is wonderfull and the service are first class... it is the right price for the right service... only several people are not from these class...

Before, i was from the level of the Hilton ( around 250$ night )... now, i am from the level of camping ( joke, i am not so low but i like camping )... in any case, you can have cute hotel for around 100$ night... and more low if you don't stay in Moscow...

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
air flights to Russia
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 07:57:23 AM »
If you want to book rooms in "Rossia" ( I think the price for them i lower among all hotels aroun Red square)  you should do that until summer 2006 because they want to reconstruct it. There will be a complex of 5* expencive hotels at that place

Offline Bruce

air flights to Russia
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
Thanks for the info Elen.  So, you still have a little bit of a time to get what in todays market probably is a great rate on a hotel right on red square.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
air flights to Russia
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 10:09:42 AM »
On period closed to May 9 there will be no rooms in 'Rossia" as about 400 rooms in this  hotel will be booked for WWII veterans who 'll arrive to Moscow to celebrate 60th anniversary of the Victory 

Offline Turboguy

air flights to Russia
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 10:55:10 AM »
My favorite hotel in Moscow is the Cosmos even though it is not in the center.  This is a large French run hotel near the VDNK metro stop.   The rooms there range from about $ 100 in the off season to $ 160 in the high season.   It has a bowling alley, night club a lot of bars and lots of shops.

Another one that is more economical but still nice is the Ukraina.   It is also a bit away from the center but at $ 70.00 or so a night is fairly descent. 

I have to say my view in the Rossija was awsome.   The hotel is also reasonably nice and not too bad on prices.

Since the origional question was about getting to the other airports.   The main Interenational Airport is Sheremetevo 2.   If you are flying on to the other cities in Russia you will likely leave either from Sheremetevo 1 or Domodedevo.   Sheremetevo 1 is about 5 miles down the road to the left of SVO-2   There is a free shuttle bus but it is harder to find than coming back the other way.   A cab will usually be from $ 10-20.  Sometimes it is less hastle.  

I have to make this transfer myself in 72 hours.   You want to be very careful with your bags on this one,  Yes with the cabs but both airports seem to have the Code SVO   The incoming airlines will try and check your bags through to your final destination but the airports will not usually transfer your bags automatiically between SVO 2 and SVO 1.    I learned this the hard way a few months ago and was bagless for 3 days. 

If you are flying into SVO and out of Domodedevo you probably have to take a cab.  I have not seen a free shuttle bus or the like.   I have flown out of there but not without staying in Moscow for a few days first so I did not have to do the transfer.   Hope this helps 

Offline Todd

air flights to Russia
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 05:59:02 PM »
As an FYI, I wasn't trying to say bad things about the Aurora Marriot.  I found it to be a great property.  I just have trouble judging high end hotels.  When I referred to the hotel as a 3 Star hotel, I wasn't referring to the rating you might get on the internet, but rather, the rating of critics.  I believe there are only 21 5 Star hotels in the world and only around 150 4 Star hotels.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Aurora was a 4 Star property.  It had a knowledgeable staff, great decor, awesome restaurant, and an excellent gym.  I picked it over the Grand...it just looked nicer on the website.

I selected the Aurora for 2 reasons.  First, I wanted to stay at an excellent place that could arrange things just the right way for the proposal.  Second, for some reason, during the dates in question (Oct 31-Nov 8), the Marriot was a level 4 property of 7 on their points award system.  I was pretty surprised given how much it would have cost to actually stay there without points.  Thus, if you travel a great deal on business definitely use those hotel points for the larger Russian city hotels.  It was the best exchange of points to dollars that I ever have done.  In fact, given the economics of air travel vs. foriegn hotels, one should always be trying to get hotel points and not airline miles if you are from the US with its ever weakening dollar.

Offline Bruno

air flights to Russia
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 11:38:12 PM »
Todd, i don't understand... you have use the Aurora Marriot before and you ask for cheap communication... if you have the money for pay so hotel, communication is not a problem... now, i begin think to the russian definition of greedy people... and russian woman don't like greedy people...

Offline Turboguy

air flights to Russia
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 02:48:40 AM »
Hi Bruno,

I think if you read Todd's post closer he says he wanted someplace special for a proposal.   I think that makes sense.   He also had airline (or hotel miles) that he used to pay for it.  

I think it falls in the catagory of splurging for a special occasion but using a frugal way of covering the cost.   I suppose if I was going to propose I might want something special.   For me a clean bed and a warm shower are all I need.  :cool:

Offline Bruno

air flights to Russia
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 03:56:22 AM »
OK, i understand Turbo...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2254
Total: 2265

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM