It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Job Choices  (Read 11695 times)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Job Choices
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:55:31 AM »
I am curious particularly assuming the gal you married was not a Brain Surgeon or a geophysisit what kind of jobs they have found.  

I am assuming in this that they speak some English but not may struggle for a bit.   I know two women in my personal experiece and one is a former Ukrainian gal working in a 24 hour photo lab but they won't let her sell (and earn commission because of her accent)  She makes about $ 8.00 an hour and is in New Hampsire.   

The other went to school as a Dental Assistant and found a job starting at $ 16.00 an hour.    She is a Russian lady from Tver living in San Francisco. 

I am just starting to think of the potential for my gal who has no special training and at the moment does not speak English but she does know many words.   I personally don't care if she works or not but I think she would be bored sitting at home planting daisys and sweeping floors for the third time that day.

Offline Bruno

Job Choices
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:10:23 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy
I am just starting to think of the potential for my gal who has no special training and at the moment does not speak English but she does know many words.   I personally don't care if she works or not but I think she would be bored sitting at home planting daisys and sweeping floors for the third time that day.

Turbo, i am not already married but i have already speak about this with Galina...

First, i don't take care about his diploma... she have a diploma clothesmaker but she don't like this job... she like economie and have just receive his university diploma in february but it will be difficult for her to find a work in these sector here...

Second, i have visit all university of my regio for adult school, and gatter some information... send it to her... and she have already make a choice... she will work in a children garden... i was enough surprised because they are long ( around 3 year ) and complex study ( psychologie, medical base, security, state reglemention, diethetic, comptabilité, ... )... but she feel that she can like this work... First, she wish work for someone other, half time... and maybe later, open his own children garden...

Her reasons... she like children and she know that we have not enough children garden in Belgium ( waiting list around 1.5 year !!! )...

Maybe you can make the same work, visit school, documentation about course program, info about job, send her all and allow her to make his own choice...

Of course, before this, she will follow a integration course of 3 month and a language course at university from 10 month ( foreign student follow these course before other university study ).

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Job Choices
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 05:51:51 AM »
Housewife,mother.. a real superwoman job around here. Thank goodness the salary is kisses, hugs, luvin and some flowers every now and then.. otherwise i'd be broke:shock:

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Job Choices
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 09:23:53 AM »
Turboguy      gal working in a 24 hour photo lab but they won't let her sell (and earn commission because of her accent)
Bruno   she will work in a children garden...

If an accent is a barier for selling photos in photo lab then how will it be OK with a work in kinder garden:?(Or are things so different in your countries, guys?) Certainly kids will be speak with Russian accent in few months :D 

Offline Bruno

Job Choices
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 11:46:55 AM »
Elen, i am from Belgium, a very little country around the size of Moscow... and Turboy from USA...

In Belgium, we have 3 national languages ( French, Dutch, German ), several speak English too, ... if Galina speak with some accent, she will be like every belgium people... everybody have his own accent :P:P:P 

Now, USA is a little different... no a lot of people speak a other language... they don't feel the need... so, they see more fast someone who is a stranger...

More interesting, here we apply the positive discrimination... it mean that if in Belgium, you have 10% foreign people, that 10% of work are reserved for foreign people... it is only a other phylosophie... a foreigner happy in Belgium don't lead to any problem...

I don't say that US or EU is better... only we are different... and certainly, very little country are more open to other... it is a need....

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
Job Choices
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 11:57:29 AM »
Well Turbo,

You said

"I am just starting to think of the potential for my gal who has no special training and at the moment does not speak English but she does know many words." 

First point are you learning Russian?  Do you think this is important??

Does it worry you that you will meet a virtual stranger at JFK?? 

It will be almost your full time job helping your fiance (then wife) to assimilate to American life and culture during that first year.

After that IMHO a job is important for your wife to settle and build a social network.  That first job is likely to be a minimum wage job.  If you have a decent income then the amount of money your wife will earn is not important - it will be her "pin money"  Choose an easy part time job which will allow your wife to make friends.

The easiest stage of this process is finding a woman who will say yes to a marriage proposal.  Honestly Quasimodo the dwarf could find a wife in FSU.  

The process gets much harder AFTER she arrives. Making a cross cultural marriage work is way more difficult than it is with a local woman.  Happily married requires some luck and a lot of hard work.

PS We have members who are married to highly educated women.  JB's wife teaches physics!

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 06:31:18 PM »
Quote from: Leslie
Well Turbo,

You said

"I am just starting to think of the potential for my gal who has no special training and at the moment does not speak English but she does know many words." 

First point are you learning Russian?  Do you think this is important??

Does it worry you that you will meet a virtual stranger at JFK?? 

It will be almost your full time job helping your fiance (then wife) to assimilate to American life and culture during that first year.

After that IMHO a job is important for your wife to settle and build a social network.  That first job is likely to be a minimum wage job.  If you have a decent income then the amount of money your wife will earn is not important - it will be her "pin money"  Choose an easy part time job which will allow your wife to make friends.

The easiest stage of this process is finding a woman who will say yes to a marriage proposal.  Honestly Quasimodo the dwarf could find a wife in FSU.  

The process gets much harder AFTER she arrives. Making a cross cultural marriage work is way more difficult than it is with a local woman.  Happily married requires some luck and a lot of hard work.

PS We have members who are married to highly educated women.  JB's wife teaches physics!

Am I learning Russian?  I have covered that in some posts elsewhere.   I have been working on learning Russian forever but languages and me do not do too well.   I have 5 different programs and have worked 1000 hours + and can perhaps say hello but they would laugh at me anyway.    Do I think it is important.   Well, I think it is more important for her to learn English.   I am going to keep plugging away on Russian.

Am I aware I will be meeting a complete stranger at JFK.  I wrote her yesterday that if we ever learn to communicate we will probably be amazed at the things we learn about each other.   Yes, I am aware of that.   I am also aware you can be married to someone for  20 years who speaks the same language and not know them.

It will be almost a full time job that first year.   Yes, I am really looking forward to this.  I agree it will be and I think I will love every minute of it.

I agree about the easy part time job where she can make friends.  I am not concerned about the income and would want that to be her mad money.   She has expressed an interest in having her own beauty shop or hair dresser type thing.  If that is what she wants to do it is fine with me.   I think putting her in school for that and funding a shop for her if she wants her own may be the best option at the moment. 

Quasimodo the dwarf got there ahead of me and got all the good one and I was always stuck with the leavings, but somehow he missed Luda so I snapper her up.   I agree, finding a gal to marry in the FSU is not hard.   Finding a good one might be tougher.   There are lots of good ones, you just need to be persistant.

Luda has a Pedigogical (I know I can't spell that) degree so she is reasonably educated but I don't think that will be as much benefit in the USA.   Highly eductated was not one of my requirements although I have to say there are a lot of really well eductated FSU women and it certainly was not something I was trying to avoid.   I have had a high percentage of the AW I have dated that were highly educated so that is nothing I had any trouble finding her or there. 

I think you raised some good questions that any AM should look hard at in taking on a relationship with a FSU woman.   I have been hunting forever and am happy to be wrapping this up.   I apprecaite all the good comments that have been made so far and welcome more.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Job Choices
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 07:23:45 PM »
It is very important SHE learn English.

If I were to spend more time in Ukraine I would work a lot harder at learning Russian.

Cross culture can present some difficulties at first but we should normally expect the first year not to be an easy one. I'm prepared to spend all my time with her and her son except of course when I'm at work.

My family members who are understanding have agreed to spend time with my fiance' and her son while I'm at work. It's nice to have a close family willing to help.

I'm also checking into churches and Russian communities in Baltimore. There is a Meetup every month in DC of a Russian language group and I think when they arrive this will be another way to make contacts.

As far as her working? She wants to get a job but she only has a diploma from a technical college which will limit the job possibilities. Her sister went to cosmotology school here in the states.

Unless she is a brain surgeon or scientist the only options open to a RW just arriving in the US might be cleaning houses or maybe working in a diner. This is why I started the thread inquiring about starting an agency or something that she would be able to do from home. Some ladies become translators when their English improves.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 07:27:00 PM by Son of Clyde »

Offline Bruno

Job Choices
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 08:08:19 PM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
As far as her working? She wants to get a job but she only has a diploma from a technical college which will limit the job possibilities... Unless she is a brain surgeon or scientist the only options open to a RW just arriving in the US might be cleaning houses or maybe working in a diner. This is why I started the thread inquiring about starting an agency or something that she would be able to do from home...

I think that someone with more low diploma will have more easy to find a job... By example, Thimothy is not meeting a woman in Ukraine... and they have common point who can help for a job later... she and he are carpenter... it will be very easy for him to help his woman to find a job...

Now, about technical, she can always work in factory... until she know the language ( security problem )... she can always learn new work... but maybe the work will not be so important...

Maybe you have other plan, maybe you wish children... in case of children, it is better that she stay home for take care of child... be mother is not a easy work specialy with new born... and it is a full time work !!!

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
Job Choices
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »
Luda has a Pedigogical (I know I can't spell that) degree so she is reasonably educated but I don't think that will be as much benefit in the USA.  

Turbo,

Chances are, that Luda studied for this degree at Maxim Gorky Pedigogical University - the same place my wife did ;). (for the rest of the board: Luda is from the same area as my wife) If she got a 4 or 5 year degree, and her grades weren't horrible, she's got a good shot at earning her teaching credentials here. As I mentioned in a jobs thread in this section, Liliya is currently teaching H.S. Math, and with a very respectable salary, I might add :cool:. BUT, most important is to get her into english classes here, first. It may be at least a year before she can even THINK about starting work, but it's important to keep her mind busy in those first six months. (If you don't, I can just about ga....raun....tee you will NOT be "loving every minute of it" :P
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 01:40:54 AM »
Thanks again for all the good advice.   Luda does not use her degree there so it may not be the thing to persue here.   (I am not even positive she has her degree but I am 90% certain.  One of the things that has fallen through the cracks with the langauge problem and it was not something that mattered to me.

Yes, you are right Jet, that was where she went to school.   I think for me, I have two concerns.  First keeping her happy and I know if she is bored she will not be happy.  Second is helping her to accomplish things that will help her feel her life is what she wants it to be.   Basically I want to do all I can to help her fit into life in America and be happy.

I own a small manufacturing business with about a dozen employees.  There are a few things she can do it in that will help give her something to do temporarily.  I also travel all over the country doing trade shows.   I expect her to arrive in July and I have her badge ordered to go with me to some of the shows such as Atlanta and Dallas in August and later, Baltimore, Orlando, Vegas and Las Angeles so she will get to see a lot of the country and the shows are landscape industry and nursery industry oriented but have some really neat things and I am sure she will enjoy those.

Keep any good ideas coming and thanks again.  

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
Job Choices
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 02:16:54 AM »
Hi Turbo,

Onyou learning Russian - don't give up!  I was in almost the same situation as you.  I hired a local Russian woman who was working as a teacher for one on one intensive lessons for just 4 hours a week.  Once Natasha arrived in got easier because I had someone to practise with 24/7!!

You need to check out the English language courses in your area.  I live in UK so my experience is not directly applicable to your situation, but certain things might be similar.

First thing I checked out was the state run (almost free) English courses for new immigrants.  What I found left almost everything to be desired.  The local college had done the bare minimum to pick up the central government grant money. So the teaching was poor.  Worse was the type of people attending this course Asylum seekers economic migrants, in other words - SCUM.  I sure didn't want Natasha's first friends in UK to be this type of person.

I organized and paid $7000 for an intensive/immersion English for foreign business people course. It was run in association with Manchester University Business school.  Classes were 4 hours a day 5 days a week for 3 months.  This course was worth every penny.  Natasha's confidence and spoken English ability improved out of all recognition.  It also gave structure to the first period of her life in UK. For example at the beginning of this course she was too shy to open her mouth when shopping, by the end of the course she was gossiping....

Have you read the book "Wedded Strangers"?  It is worth borrowing from the library for some of the later comments.  JOURNEYMAN has made some useful comments on building up a relationship.  Trust and love have to be built slowly, they cannot be gifted.

You must remember that when Luda comes to USA you will be the ONLY close person.  Not communicating will lead to trouble...

USA is much more flexible than some European countries on accepting Russian degrees.  Jet makes some excellent points.  When Natasha first came to UK I was against her working at a menial job. After all there was no economic need.  I quickly changed my mind.  Stuck in the house on her own all day was not a recipe for happiness. Also the money was hers (she did not feel she had to justify the way she spent it !)  Might seem like a small issue but it was important.

Best of Luck to you both.

Les & Natasha

Offline tim 360

Job Choices
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 02:48:54 AM »
A 25 year old girl I know came here 3 years ago from Poland initially on a student visa.  A nice girl,  but originally with a very thick Eastern European accent.  Her text English was good though.  Very hard working girl.

She started her own housecleaning biz and originally cleaned a few homes for $20-$25 per hour.  Soon,  by word of mouth,  many heard of the excellent cleaning she provided.  Now,  she has 6 employees and she just books the jobs and inspects the cleaning.

She also got a partime job at a fine dining restaurant helping out in the dining room and the continued verbal interaction with both fellow employees and customers on a daily basis really improved her spoken English dramatically in a short time.

"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 03:06:33 AM »
Thanks for the great advice guys, keep it coming.   I will pick up a copy of the book.  I enjoy books and think you can never have enough insite on life.

I have her starting English classes again there.   The last English Teacher was a dud and almost broke us up.   I will check out courses here.   She does know a lot of the words.   When I get there we write notes back and forth and communicate well that way.  By the time I am coming back we can talk a little if I talk slow.   I think practice will help her but I will check out local English classes. 

This site is a great resourse.  You guys (and gals) are terrific.  Keep the ideas coming.

Offline Bruno

Job Choices
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 03:40:43 AM »
Quote from: Leslie
First thing I checked out was the state run (almost free) English courses for new immigrants.  What I found left almost everything to be desired.  The local college had done the bare minimum to pick up the central government grant money. So the teaching was poor.  Worse was the type of people attending this course Asylum seekers economic migrants, in other words - SCUM.  I sure didn't want Natasha's first friends in UK to be this type of person.

I organized and paid $7000 for an intensive/immersion English for foreign business people course. It was run in association with Manchester University Business school.  Classes were 4 hours a day 5 days a week for 3 months.  This course was worth every penny.  Natasha's confidence and spoken English ability improved out of all recognition.  It also gave structure to the first period of her life in UK. For example at the beginning of this course she was too shy to open her mouth when shopping, by the end of the course she was gossiping....

Turbo, these advice of Leslie is the best one... when i was with my ex-russian wife, i have use these free Dutch course for new immigrant... after 3 month, she know a lot of vocabulary but she was not able to speak...

For Galina, i have choice a 10 module course... each for one month, and the price is around 250 euro... 2500 euro for the full course... it is expensive for me but she will be able to speak and understand after the course ( 5 day week / 8 hours day )... these course is the usual course for foreign student... they know enough the language for follow any university course after...

If you local university accept foreign student, they have certainly so course of language... maybe expensive but certainly worth each cent...

And about book, i have buy some book ( roman ) in dual language ( both russian and dutch )... the same certainly exist for english-russian... this can help her learn Ducth and maybe i can use it for learn some russian too...

This site is a great resourse.  You guys (and gals) are terrific.  Keep the ideas coming.

When you will be married, i hope that you will be one of the "terrific guys" and share your own experience for the benefice of newbie... Forum are the best resource for everybody... myself, i have learn a lot and use some information for my own relation... and to be honest, same some people that i don't like have give great information too...

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Job Choices
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 04:08:39 AM »
Did anybodie's wives do such thing like "Diploma Supplement"? Is it nessesary thing in the USA for getting a decent job or just a wasting of money and time?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 04:10:00 AM by Elen »

Offline jb

Job Choices
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 05:46:45 AM »
Offhand I'd say the biggest hurdle your lady will have to get over is the English language.  Until she gets pretty fluent she cannot handle a business situation, even a mimimum wage position.  Salesclerk jobs are the most commonly held positions for the 1st time employeed.  A lot of FSU brides get their first jobs as clerks at the local department stores.  But even for this they have to have rudimentary English.

Make sure your lady brings with her a complete transcript of her college/university records.  She can have this evaluated towards an American degree program, which is recognized by most U.S. institutions.  It might even be evaluated as a full degree, you never know until you have it looked over.  I can provide you with further information on this process if you wish.

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 10:33:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion JB.   When we get to that part I will pick your brains and see what we can do.   That sounds very helpful.

Offline jb

Job Choices
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 10:41:27 AM »
No problem, anytime.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
Job Choices
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »
Quote from: jb
Offhand I'd say the biggest hurdle your lady will have to get over is the English language. Until she gets pretty fluent she cannot handle a business situation, even a mimimum wage position.
This is the reason we chose a program offered by University of Miami that was similar to what Leslie described up-thread. The value over local "language acadamies" and public "night school" is substantial. In a way it is somewhat bitter-sweet, as there were some very endearing idiosincracies in Liliya's speach that unfortunately, had to go, if she was to succede in the work place. Never again will I hear "it's such vondaful " or "what about, do you think? ", but the overwhelming increase in self confidence amongst native speakers, is also very gratifying.
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »
Do you ever miss that Jet.  I really enjoy listening to the Russian Accent, the vonderful's and the RRRRRight with the rolled R's.    I think I would feel sad sending her somewhere that they teach her to speak properly even though it will help her succeed.  

A long time ago I dated a german girl for a while.  Her favorite drink was something with Rum.   It was funny to watch her order her drink cause they roll the r's too.   Not one barternder could figure out what  RRRRRRRRUM was.

Offline jb

Job Choices
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2005, 02:31:53 AM »
The accent never completely goes away, just the cute things they used to say.  In my wife's case she used to say things like "such much" when she meant "so much"

Offline Turboguy

Job Choices
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2005, 09:43:57 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean.  The Uranian gal I talked about that works in the photo lab.   Everyone got a kick out of her favorite place to stop for coffee.   "Drunken Donuts"

Offline MandM

Job Choices
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 04:47:18 AM »
Hi Guys!

What a great site! I am a 'RW' living in England and I wish I found site like this 4 years ago! Regarding job situation, I agree that your future wife should master English first. English courses and a part time job where she can meet lots of people and can practice her English (such as cafes, restaurants, shops etc). It's great if you run your own business so you can give her something to do. Be aware that it will take her at least couple of years  to get confident enough to do a 'proper' job. After that you could help her to set up her own business. I don't know much about the States, but here in England we have company called NARIC that provides equivalent of diplomas from overseas. I was well pleased when my Russian degree of 'kandidat chimicheskih nauk' showed equivalent of PhD in Chemistry. But even having a degree and being able to speak the language does not guarantee you a job.  Confidence and experience are very important as well. Despite being a 'Doctor' and having fluent English I had to work (not by my choice though) in a green-grocer's shop for two years. I hated it but it did give me confidence and improved my verbal English. I have now got a 'proper' job as a Manager in engineering consultancy and earn the same wages as the English. :dude:

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Job Choices
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 09:32:47 AM »
Hello, M&M:D I'm glad to see one more woman here, because this place is almost men only club:?:D

Offline MandM

Job Choices
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »
Hello to you too Elen!

Thanks for your welcome! Girl power! :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1914
Total: 1925

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM