It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My view of the war  (Read 241848 times)

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
My view of the war
« Reply #875 on: October 25, 2014, 03:20:25 AM »
I seem to recall a few days ago people here were gleefully clapping that Putin/Russia was going to fold up and shrink away.  Based on Putin's comments today, that is far from accurate.  http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-russia-putin-us-20141024-story.html
Among his comments he has stated that the USA has distorted the world based on their interests...and that USA instigated the coup in Ukraine. 

In another development, the Asian infrastructure bank was launched today.  Based on the link it sounds like Kerry twisted the arms of Australia and possibly a couple other nations NOT to join (like we should be telling other nations what to do)..nevertheless 21 nations did join, China and India being the largest.  Our attempts at undermining this group seem to validate some of Putin's earlier statements about the US distorting things to suit it's own interests.   We shall see if this lessens the influence/profits of western powers in the region.  [size=78%]http://finance.yahoo.com/news/three-major-nations-absent-china-040036987.html[/size]

Fathertime!

Pionier, Sigda Gatov!!!!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
My view of the war
« Reply #876 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

lordtiberius

My view of the war
« Reply #877 on: October 25, 2014, 06:31:56 AM »
A lot of my friends have left Luhansk.  According to the news report cited UT, 70% of the population is elderly.  Will they survive the winter?  There is a reason why they call it New Russia.  Can anyone dispute that Russia is a graveyard?

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
My view of the war
« Reply #878 on: October 26, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »

Something very strange about this video.  It almost looks like a 'made for TV' video.
Not a single enemy sighted.
Not a single round inbound.

A huge amount of ammo expended for what?  Propaganda movie?
Seems like destroying the infrastructure and having something to shoot at might be the objective.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
My view of the war
« Reply #879 on: October 27, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »
It's the Motorola (rebel/separatist) Battalion, so I'd agree that it's a waste of space.  As you say, lots of noise and no reaction.

Offline JayH

My view of the war
« Reply #880 on: October 29, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »

Russian Federation Drawing Tamanskaya Tanks Division and GRU Special Forces to Ukrainian Border

28.10.2014 10:40
This was announced by Dmytro Tymchuk, Head of the Center for Military-Political Studies, on his Facebook page, citing data from InfoResist group, Censor.NET reports.

Russian troops continue to gather near the Ukrainian-Russian border in the Rostov region of the Russian Federation, InfoResist group announced.

"2nd Tamanskaya tank division (military unit 23626, the Moskow region) and 2nd separate brigade of the GRU special forces (military unit 64044, city of Pskov) were noticed near Ukraine's border. The units of 28th separate motorized rifle brigade (military unit 61423, city of Ekaterinburg) are being rotated," Tymchuk wrote and added that commanders take away documents from Russian soldiers located near the border.

Source — en.censor.net.ua

Read also: Terrorists Shelled Ukrainian Position at Night. Attacks Defeated, Terrorists Suffered Losses, - ATO press center
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AC

• Banned Member
My view of the war
« Reply #881 on: November 03, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »
This is a sad reality of any war.  Bodies of soldiers must be collected.  I was surprised to read that Ukrainian soldiers are not given identification tags.  There is also not a database of DNA in Ukraine.  When this man finds a body which he cannot identify, at least he takes a DNA sample in case someday there is a way to identify who a man was.  His fascination with this macabre subject goes back to him finding and trying to identify remains from WWII battles.

http://mashable.com/2014/11/03/the-ukrainian-body-collector/

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
My view of the war
« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
This is a good synopsis of an interview by one of Putin's former advisors on the terrorists' elections.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/11/01/putin-plans-to-escalate-conflict-in-ukraine-after-donetsk-and-luhansk-elections/
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

lordtiberius

My view of the war
« Reply #883 on: November 06, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »
I don't know anyone who doesn't have family on both sides of the front.  I am somewhat mixed on sanctions and boycotts.  The only way this ends is for Russia to give up the current President of Russia in favor of someone else.  Anyone else

Offline Anotherkiwi

My view of the war
« Reply #884 on: November 06, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
The only way this ends is for Russia to give up the current President of Russia in favor of someone else.  Anyone else

This sounds exactly like most posters on here when they discuss the President of the USA.

lordtiberius

My view of the war
« Reply #885 on: November 06, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
He has had 6 years to change our minds.  But hey, maybe the problem isn't him, its us.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
My view of the war
« Reply #886 on: November 09, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
An excellent article (with a very good translation) about the tragedy which occured in Ilovaisk.  I hope the cheerleaders will read this article carefully.  Ukrainian soldiers are among the finest in the World -- but they need heavy weaponry and other assistance from the West in order to defend their homeland from another Russian invasion which is no doubt being planned for right now.

http://maidantranslations.com/2014/10/19/yuriy-butusov-ilovaisk-fatal-decisions/

excerpt

"The Supreme Commander Petro Poroshenko has announced the dissolution of the 51st Mechanized Brigade, which fought mainly in sectors “D” and “B.” The reason – for disobeying orders. The Chief Military Prosecutor Anatoliy Mathios has stated that the reason for the defeat at the front and for the encirclement under Ilovaisk was the desertion of the 5th (“Carpathian”) Battalion of Territorial Defense which allegedly caused other units to abandon their positions. But, before giving an assessment of the 51st Brigade and the 5th Battalion, let us evaluate the situation from a military standpoint.

Was it possible for the forces in sector “D” to stop an attack of four full-strength Russian battalion tactical groups? Was the 5th Battalion of Territorial Defense, “Carpathian,” which consisted of about 300 servicemen, mobilized and equipped with only light infantry weapons, capable of repelling an attack of the completely equipped armoured units of the Russian Federation? Obviously not. Being stretched out at checkpoints, our weak army units could not form a fighting group capable of providing even a minimal density and stability of defense; they could not allocate strike groups from their ranks capable of conducting maneuver warfare."

additional excerpt

"The main problem in repelling the Russian offensive became the fact that long before the Russian advance the enemy used the scarcity of our troops in the border region and sent into our rear a large number of diversion and sabotage groups, who waged active hostilities, supplied the enemy with accurate information about our location, attacked our supply columns and checkpoints and engaged in battle with our detachments. The most intense enemy activity was observed in the border regions of sector “D” and the location of the base of our command post in Kuteinykove. At the same time our forces for long periods of time carried out operations under conditions of constant attack from two sides: from the territory of Russia and from the side of population centres controlled by separatists.

We had neither the strength nor the means to ensure the protection of even large nodes of communications, not to mention the creation of defensive lines and strike groups. Our covering detachments were exhausted by constant battles and artillery shelling of the superior enemy forces.

My brief analysis:

Those who read the article very carefully will notice that some of the senior Ukrainian officers were not competent and did not take information regarding the coming hostilities seriously.  Others will obviously notice that Russian special forces went to the rear of the Ukrainian forces to begin initial hostilities in order to obtain more information about placement of the Ukrainian forces.  Artillery shelling occured both from Russia itself and rebel held areas of Ukraine.  I challenge the cheerleaders to face the reality that Russia is likely resupplying the rebels in order to capture the airport, then further supply the Donbas, then launch a final assault possibly all the way to Transnistra with a simultaneous assault from the Crimea. 

Sanctions alone are not going to stop a Russian invasion.  Putin knows that Obama and the EU will protest but that is likely all.  Russia has lost $100 Billion defending the Ruble but it is not going to stop an invasion.  My apologies in advance for being a pessimist.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:20:19 PM by AC »

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
My view of the war
« Reply #887 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
After reading how poorly the Ukraine military was equipped and not battle ready under Yanukovick, my guess is that the generals were a bunch of losers without much of a job or recent experience.

Seems to me Poroshenko would be well off to fire them all and replace them with Western senior officers that have served recently in conflicts.  Perhaps this is going on as we speak.

Of course, some more advance weaponry from the West would make a large difference.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Gator

My view of the war
« Reply #888 on: November 10, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »
This sounds exactly like most posters on here when they discuss the President of the USA.

Nice try!  You are ignoring IMO two key differences: 

1.  Strict adherence to term limits.  Do you believe Putin will allow himself to be voted out of power?   In contrast, Obama has two years remaining and will join the in absentia just like the two-term presidents before him.

2.  Independent authority and power of Congress. I am not a student of the checks and balances of Russian government, neither how they are suppose to work and how they work in practice under a seemingly imperious leader.   

Offline Anotherkiwi

My view of the war
« Reply #889 on: November 10, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
An excellent article (with a very good translation) about the tragedy which occured in Ilovaisk.

Agreed.  You can almost see Lt-Gen. Litvin pulling his hair out as he wonders about the intelligence of the members of the High Command.

My brief analysis:

Those who read the article very carefully will notice that some of the senior Ukrainian officers were not competent and did not take information regarding the coming hostilities seriously.  Others will obviously notice that Russian special forces went to the rear of the Ukrainian forces to begin initial hostilities in order to obtain more information about placement of the Ukrainian forces.  Artillery shelling occurred both from Russia itself and rebel held areas of Ukraine.  I challenge the cheerleaders to face the reality that Russia is likely resupplying the rebels in order to capture the airport, then further supply the Donbas, then launch a final assault possibly all the way to Transnistra with a simultaneous assault from the Crimea. 

Sanctions alone are not going to stop a Russian invasion.  Putin knows that Obama and the EU will protest but that is likely all.  Russia has lost $100 Billion defending the Ruble but it is not going to stop an invasion.  My apologies in advance for being a pessimist.

Realistic and pragmatic, yes - pessimist?  I don't think so.

Offline Anotherkiwi

My view of the war
« Reply #890 on: November 10, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
The only way this ends is for Russia to give up the current President of Russia in favor of someone else.  Anyone else

Nice try!  You are ignoring IMO two key differences: 

1.  Strict adherence to term limits.  Do you believe Putin will allow himself to be voted out of power?   In contrast, Obama has two years remaining and will join the in absentia just like the two-term presidents before him.

2.  Independent authority and power of Congress. I am not a student of the checks and balances of Russian government, neither how they are suppose to work and how they work in practice under a seemingly imperious leader.   

Sorry, Gator, but you're missing the gist of my post.  Irrespective of your two points above (with which I agree), many, MANY posts on here have been written exactly as I described.  The majority of American members here have been extremely strident in decrying President Obama and wishing him at Jericho (generally in far worse language than they EVER use in respect of President Putin).

Offline Ludmila

• Trips: None (yet)
My view of the war
« Reply #891 on: November 10, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
Gator, and here's former Chief of Staff to US Sec of State talkking about HIS VIEW OF THE WAR. He completely disagrees with you as well as other proponents of this war.
Republican Laurence Wilkerson rather disagrees with the official assessment of the WAR. Check it out. 20 min long. Will you cope?

Offline AC

• Banned Member
My view of the war
« Reply #892 on: November 10, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »

Probably the number one reason us Americans who feel that way do so because the man cannot make proper decisions in a timely fashion.  I would say his refusal to give proper material assistance to Ukraine is at the top of the list for me; right now.  Can you imagine if Poroshenko had given the speech he gave to Congress and Reagan or Bush Sr. or Bush Jr. were President?  All of those would have made an immediate decision to give Ukraine all the material assistance they asked for, plus some.  Even Clinton likely would have decided in favor of helping Ukraine.  Only Obama sits by and does nothing.  By the time the fool is gone it will likely be too late.  Putin will likely get his landbridge to Crimea, unless a serious miracle happens.  This type of idiotic procrastination is simply unacceptable to the American people.  America loves our sports and in business and military decisions we love action and we want it now.  Everyone who has been to the USA knows that customer service at a restaurant or such is usually very good.  We want it --chop chop!

In the past it was (and still is) myriad other things -- such as his refusal to approve the pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico (Keystone Pipeline).  Everyone knows that time really is money, and our allies in Canada have been more than patient in waiting for this, as have the American people and American workers who need to make a living.  Not to mention that now that Russia is threatening Europe with non-delivery of gas, it's imperative that the USA steps up and takes the place of Russia and supplies that natural gas.  We can't do it with a do nothing, know nothing blistering arrogant fool in the office which desperately needs a man of action, not some fool of a "community organizer".  Hope and Change in Obama's world really means Fear and Blame.

As far as Putin goes I was perfectly happy accepting that he was the guy over there, until he invaded Ukraine.  Now I don't care if his own people get rid of him through the efforts of some Russian Oligarchs. 

I am not sure if this answers what you were trying to get at, but I hope it does.

Offline southernX

My view of the war
« Reply #893 on: November 11, 2014, 02:51:02 AM »
This is a good synopsis of an interview by one of Putin's former advisors on the terrorists' elections.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/11/01/putin-plans-to-escalate-conflict-in-ukraine-after-donetsk-and-luhansk-elections/

even thought there timing is out a bit , id agree with the main gist of their commentary

sad thing is still the west is not doing enough to support ukraine in this

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Anotherkiwi

My view of the war
« Reply #894 on: November 11, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
I am not sure if this answers what you were trying to get at, but I hope it does.

Thanks, AC.  I wasn't really after the "why," per se, just making the point that Obama seems to attract even more vitriol from members of this board than Putin does.

Offline pokerintherear

• Trips: None (yet)
My view of the war
« Reply #895 on: November 11, 2014, 05:27:35 AM »
Thanks, AC.  I wasn't really after the "why," per se, just making the point that Obama seems to attract even more vitriol from members of this board than Putin does.

People who are "tuned in" and "aware" of the mans personality understand his motives and goals. For a person who lives in another country and not "tuned in" to American principles and values it is confusing as to why many Americans seethe at the plastic man.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
My view of the war
« Reply #896 on: November 11, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
+1 on that.

Offline fathertime

My view of the war
« Reply #897 on: November 11, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
I was reading this morning and came across a couple articles that are talking about how the world is slowly moving away from the dollar...BECAUSE the USA has tried to use it as a weapon....the battle in Ukraine as being one example.   

http://www.examiner.com/article/china-moves-on-u-s-with-currency-swap-and-non-dollar-trade-with-canada

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-wins--u-s--loses-at-apec-145943608.html

Currently the US stock market is sky-high, companies seem to be doing pretty well. It is hard to say what the consequences to us will be if the world slowly continues to move away from the dollar.  There are a lot of voices out there, some predict very dire consequences.  Overall, the boomerang that Putin talked about has been in slow motion, but it does appear to be playing a role in these countries moving away from the dollar.   In many respects China has already passed us up as the greatest economy and that appears to continue to be the trend going forward. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline AC

• Banned Member
My view of the war
« Reply #898 on: November 11, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
I was reading this morning and came across a couple articles that are talking about how the world is slowly moving away from the dollar...BECAUSE the USA has tried to use it as a weapon....the battle in Ukraine as being one example.   

http://www.examiner.com/article/china-moves-on-u-s-with-currency-swap-and-non-dollar-trade-with-canada

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-wins--u-s--loses-at-apec-145943608.html

Currently the US stock market is sky-high, companies seem to be doing pretty well. It is hard to say what the consequences to us will be if the world slowly continues to move away from the dollar.  There are a lot of voices out there, some predict very dire consequences.  Overall, the boomerang that Putin talked about has been in slow motion, but it does appear to be playing a role in these countries moving away from the dollar.  In many respects China has already passed us up as the greatest economy and that appears to continue to be the trend going forward.

Fathertime!

Don't believe the hype.  The dollar is here to stay for at least a decade or two more.  Don't believe the hype about China either.  Their problems are too numerous to mention.  Success for one thing brings higher wages, which is part of the reason American companies are bringing manufacturing back home.  Of course it also allows their new middle class to purchase the better American products.  I see mostly upside.

Offline Chelseaboy

My view of the war
« Reply #899 on: November 11, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
So,the world is moving away from the US Dollar eh ?

That would explain why the Russians are desperately trying to buy US Dollars and not Chinese Yuan.

Never let the facts get in the way of the fantasy eh ?  :rolleyes:
Just saying it like it is.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860