It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: In Russia, the Doors Are Closing  (Read 1412 times)

Offline chooter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
In Russia, the Doors Are Closing
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Interesting read. You have to click off the sale banner to read it.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/04/29/in-russia-the-doors-are-closing-tourism-putin-human-rights/
The final step to happiness or the disaster of your life, marriage can be great thing or ruin you.
Take the risk or stay lonely?

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
Re: In Russia, the Doors Are Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:00:23 PM »
For sure, the Kremlin has suggested / ordered certain govt organisation employees  to stay at home - e.g. Police.. But I'll believe this article when restrictions are placed on foreigners coming to Russia

Russians can still go to Turkey [and Egypt ] - many book via Belarus

There's no hint of restrictions on Thailand/ Vietnam- and I haven't heard of anyone we know being refused to leave - but it can happen if it is claimed you owe taxes / social welfare / out standing fines.

Transaero's main creditor WAS Aeroflot - I never flew with them - as they were always more expensive than - say - S7 / Aeroflot

I don't doubt 'business practices' are often based on good contacts with the state, but  sorry, the article's a bit OTT.

If restrictions on travel are coming - no-one I know feels it.

The decisions to cut back services to Russia by western airlines are a function of less inward tourism / Business travel  to Russia, surely
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline chooter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:09:47 PM »
The last time my wife and I were leaving Russia, and when we were going through customs, my wife gave her US passport to this customs agent. He looked at her and asked her, you look Russian why do you have a US Passport?

My wife told him because I'm a US Citizen and have been for over 10 years and she said it in English. He asked her why was she a US Citizen and she replied, that's none of your business.

As far as the article, my wife has friends in Russia that's getting out of there as fast as they can and a lot of it is because they, per say, see the hand writing on the wall and they won't no part of what they're seeing. One of her friends is the one that sent us the article to read. They discussed it in Skype in Russian and I never asked her what her friend said. My wife read the article and made one comment...yep.
The final step to happiness or the disaster of your life, marriage can be great thing or ruin you.
Take the risk or stay lonely?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
The last time my wife and I were leaving Russia, and when we were going through customs, my wife gave her US passport to this customs agent. He looked at her and asked her, you look Russian why do you have a US Passport?

My wife told him because I'm a US Citizen and have been for over 10 years and she said it in English. He asked her why was she a US Citizen and she replied, that's none of your business.

As far as the article, my wife has friends in Russia that's getting out of there as fast as they can and a lot of it is because they, per say, see the hand writing on the wall and they won't no part of what they're seeing. One of her friends is the one that sent us the article to read. They discussed it in Skype in Russian and I never asked her what her friend said. My wife read the article and made one comment...yep.

Precisely. Those that have already been through it will recognize the signs and early stages. If I was a resident of Russia and valued my freedom, I'd be getting the hell out NOW.

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:51:07 PM »
The US government is doing something similar. Recently if you owe the IRS more than $50K your passport will be suspended or you will not be granted a new one. Also the FACTA laws imposed on foreign banks to give up information on USCs is another method to keep people "on the farm" (in the country) and all important to them paying taxes.

Offline BC

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »

Has your wife renounced her RU citizenship? Did she have to apply for a RU visa?

One of my daughters (dual US / EU citizen) was basically did the same when entering the US with her EU passport.  They took her to a back room, did some checking and told her they would let her pass this time but to renew her US passport and use it instead next time around or risk being refused entry.

Dual Nationality and Travel to Russia

from:   http://stpetersburg.usconsulate.gov/dual-nationality.html
Persons in Russia are subject to Russian laws and procedures. Persons who are citizens of both the United States and Russia should be aware that, while U.S. immigration law requires Americans to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States, Russian law likewise requires Russian citizens to use Russian passports to enter and depart Russia.

There have been several instances in which U.S. citizens who also have Russian citizenship have entered Russia using their Russian passports, but then could not leave as planned because their Russian passports had expired during their stay in Russia, or because they lost their Russian passports. Since these travelers had not obtained Russian entry/exit visas in their U.S. passports, Russian authorities did not permit them to depart using their U.S. passports.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541296
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3372
Most Online Ever: 12701