It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: USA Guy looking for info before I take the plunge and travel to Ukraine  (Read 6884 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: USA Guy looking for info before I take the plunge and travel to Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 02:00:01 AM »

Things change in the world - sometimes quickly. Viber went from nothing to everything in a very short time is an example.Sure -the principle is the same as Skype -- but Skype never had the all encompassing penetration via the spread of the smartphone age -- it changed a lot in a short time.

Whilst I appreciate this thread concerns Ukraine, but I'd like to point out two things :

1/ WhatsApp - whether inferior or superior to Viber  - has much better penetration in Russia - but Viber is top in UA and BY - data from May 2018

http://www.similarweb.com/blog/worldwide-messaging-apps

2/ Skype is still used by some older gits used to it being a desktop prog and it happens to work well as an app, too  - Recently, MS have IMPROVED it ;)   

Offline SteveInBoston

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
Oddly enough, the one time I used Viber it was to chat with a 19/20 year old girl in Russia.  She wanted me to support her getting a place to live so she could move out of her parent's house.  Apparently it was a small place and her mother was pregnant - it would be too small with another child there.

She was very direct about it. I said hi, she said hi, I asked her what she was looking for in a relationship, and she went right into explaining the above.

I appreciated her being honest about it, but I wished her good luck and moved on.  Might have been a good sugar daddy-baby relationship?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
She wanted me to support her getting a place to live so she could move out of her parent's house.

I've encountered girls like her. Those girls say the same thing to all men they're communicating with hoping one or more will comply.

She was very direct about it.

No need to waste time with flowers, dating and courtship.

Might have been a good sugar daddy-baby relationship?

All that was left was for you to negotiate your terms for helping her out. Some guys have come to the forum and said they put women in apartments and didn't get much in return. It wasn't as good a sugar daddy relationship as they thought it would be.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Whilst I appreciate this thread concerns Ukraine, but I'd like to point out two things :

1/ WhatsApp - whether inferior or superior to Viber  - has much better penetration in Russia - but Viber is top in UA and BY - data from May 2018

http://www.similarweb.com/blog/worldwide-messaging-apps

2/ Skype is still used by some older gits used to it being a desktop prog and it happens to work well as an app, too  - Recently, MS have IMPROVED it ;)

Belarus seemed mostly Whatapp to me, stands to reason as it more closely follows Russia. Off the girls I communicated with, two went with Whatsapp, one went with Viber. I personally prefer Viber as more better emoticons making the messaging a more fun experience. WhatsApp is ok though.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
All that was left was for you to negotiate your terms for helping her out. Some guys have come to the forum and said they put women in apartments and didn't get much in return. It wasn't as good a sugar daddy relationship as they thought it would be.

So always keep the carrot dangling in front of the donkey and never chomping on it then :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline theNWKI

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
OK I guess Ill leave my $3/month Viber account in place....I think WhatsApp is great after my Australian buddy made me sign on to it. It works great USA to OZ no contact with Russia or Ukraine with it. Thanks for the discussion I can use any and all advice....signed on to ukrainedate.com and russiandating.com and my profile seems very popular so we will see how things go from here....thanks again, Eric
Hello find me on Google Hangouts thenwki@gmail.com

Offline jone

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
OK I guess Ill leave my $3/month Viber account in place....I think WhatsApp is great after my Australian buddy made me sign on to it. It works great USA to OZ no contact with Russia or Ukraine with it. Thanks for the discussion I can use any and all advice....signed on to ukrainedate.com and russiandating.com and my profile seems very popular so we will see how things go from here....thanks again, Eric

Ne Vood Durakom.

Those sites are there to suck your money out.  Move to a subscription service whereby you pay a subscription fee and then you can contact as many gals as you wish.  Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't know.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »

May I ask what $3/month viber account do you have? I have used for free all this time?

I must say I do prefer Viber over WhatsApp for 2 reasons. One is viber has site for computer and it is linked through your phone, your phone and computer have exactly same info. Second is the emoticons and stickers available. I like how whatsapp shows you what pics you shared with each person. Viber does this in computer.

I just looked at my phone for those i speak with in FSU:

10 use whatsapp with, 5 in Russia and 5 in Ukraine
13 use viber with, 8 in Russia and 4 in Ukraine and 1 in Belarus

Since i have account in both it is girl/friends who usually choose which to use.

Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 04:54:33 PM »

May I ask what $3/month viber account do you have? I have used for free all this time?

I must say I do prefer Viber over WhatsApp for 2 reasons. One is viber has site for computer and it is linked through your phone, your phone and computer have exactly same info. Second is the emoticons and stickers available. I like how whatsapp shows you what pics you shared with each person. Viber does this in computer.

I just looked at my phone for those i speak with in FSU:

10 use whatsapp with, 5 in Russia and 5 in Ukraine
13 use viber with, 8 in Russia and 4 in Ukraine and 1 in Belarus

Since i have account in both it is girl/friends who usually choose which to use.

I have a paid subscription on Viber  -- I pay about $10 in as credit and it deducts as used .
The purpose is that it allows  calls to a 'normal' phone number not on Viber . As an example  -- say you arrive somewhere with a sim not able to be used there ( eg out of credit) and you have access to wi fi ( eg at airport) you can make call out of Viber in that case .
Skype the same type of deal ( I have both) -Skype allows free calls to numerous countries "normal" phones with paid subscription.
Both allow you to set up caller id number eg to receive return calls etc .

None of that affects the normal  Viber to Viber,Skype to Skype calling

The bottom line to all that-- it is really convenient easy no hassle way to be able to use phone always -- and importantly -- for others to contact you at any time . It has the huge plus that you can leave ongoing messages both ways .

I have all the widely used apps -- so it makes little difference to me--but I have found I use Viber the large majority of the time these days.
LaMan  mentions using Viber on desktop --it works great across all my systems and with life size screen it seems a very natural conversation.

My earlier comments were aimed at change-- specifically -- the expansion of the smartphone was a major game changer  -- and that was the point about change I was making earlier.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
Belarus seemed mostly Whatapp to me, stands to reason as it more closely follows Russia. Off the girls I communicated with, two went with Whatsapp, one went with Viber. I personally prefer Viber as more better emoticons making the messaging a more fun experience. WhatsApp is ok though.

Yet another DUH moment from clueless Trenchie

Folks in BY are rather proud of the fact that BY programmers were mostly used to create ....VIBER

Your powers of observation have been proven suspect ... this is but another example..I'm wondering if you really ever go to the places you suggest ?

"The company was run from Israel, with much of its development outsourced to Belarus in order to lower labour-costs. It was registered in Cyprus. "

Source Wiki - searching Viber ...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541274
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2186