It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Offshoot  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Jamesukjames

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Offshoot
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:25 AM »
Yes I've been played twice in Ukraine and led a dance 2 out of 2 but the Ukrainian accent is like a sirens call to the rocks

Offline Jamesukjames

Offshoot
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:47:51 AM »
A Moscow accent is like a bucket full of rocks on the head

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Offshoot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Boethius I didn't say they didn't want to work.  I meant they are more keen to partner up and have an old style relationship rather than the modern feminist version.

What, exactly, is this "old style" relationship?

I think I have a "modern feminist" marriage.  I outearn my husband by tenfold.  He was home with our kids during the day, I was with them at night, when he worked.  Before our children were in school, my husband fed them breakfast and lunch, I typically made dinner.  Once they started school, I made their breakfasts and lunches, and most dinners.  Fridays were typically dinner out.  I did almost all laundry - my husband was good about starting the washing machine, and drying clothing, but he never sorted, or folded either dirty or clean laundry, or put it away. I did (and still do) all the indoor housework - vacuuming, dusting, washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, walls, windows, etc.  My husband cuts the lawn, shovels snow, and takes out the garbage.  We both purchase groceries.

I don't think the above division of labour is unusual for most working women in the West.  I think, though, that probably about half the population doesn't prepare meals from scratch (which we have always done, although we weren't tied to that - the kids wanted to try things their friends had, but soon rejected frozen pizzas, Kraft dinner, and boxed lunches).  My experience, in speaking to women I worked with, was not unusual, although most of the women I worked with had cleaning ladies.  I never did because I didn't want someone doing a half arsed job cleaning my home.

I have two neighbours who are housewives.  They do everything - cook, maintain meticulous homes, shovel snow, and do all the yardwork.  So I question what this "feminist marriage" is.

I do think FSUW look after their clothing, and their spouses' clothing, better than do WW, in terms of pressing clothing, polishing shoes, sewing on buttons, etc.  I also think the majority of them tend to use fresh ingredients, rather than prepared, when cooking.  But from what I have seen, the divisions of labour are approximately the same.

As for how common this is - living in an apartment in Kyiv, you really get to know your neighbours.  I'd say half were absolute slobs.  The ones that lived directly below us were so filthy, they didn't care that their apartment was infested with cockroaches and bedbugs.  We were forced to fumigate twice.  After the second time, my husband put plaster of Paris around every opening to the apartment, and that seemed to do the trick.

In most Ukrainian families of this type that I observed (and it was dozens), typically, everything was fine until babushka died.  Then, their homes were filthy. 

Boethius I've also met plenty of single 20s who love playing aunt to older sisters child.  A major difference to UK is single mothers is belarus tend to be back with their mothers after divorce.  So 3 generations  living together in apartment.  The spoilt brats are dollar funded nor rubel or hyverna funded.

Most single mothers in Ukraine, and I assume Belarus, do not move back in with their mothers if they divorce.  Three generations living under one roof was a necessity in Soviet times, but it did not, typically, make for smooth family relations, and most women, given a choice, would not move back in with their mothers.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:51:25 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Offshoot
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:55 PM »
Bochick’ (the girl who left home at 18, travelled to the CCCP and got married there)
espousing “conventional wisdom”???? chivo???

well then, here’s some of the un-conventional kind!

one day yur gonna grow old...
and when ya do, will you be able to say to yourself that “you really lived”?

my advice...
either join the rest of the herd and play by herd rules like Bo suggests
or go rogue...

a ton of stuff you could do over there!
I did software and real estate over there and made some money doing so, but not a lot, :(

you can find a niche, or choose education (which’d be my choice!)
go....

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
You played by the herd rules too.  You had finished your education in the West, and had work experience before you went to Ukraine. 

I didn't go to Ukraine to marry.  I went to study.

The ability to earn a good living is important.  Who wants to live in poverty in their old age?

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

Offshoot
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
"You had finished your education in the West, and had work experience before you went to Ukraine.  "

I haven't found a good English speaking Engineering univ in Ukraine, I donated a substantial library of Comp Science volumes to Univ of Kharkhiv where I recruited my employees
unfortunately No courses in English
OMG, I could imagine my father's reaction if I told him as a teenager I was moving to the Soviet Union!
today there is the medical univ in Ternopil, if I ever got a medical degree from there I would only do research, being in a hospital does not appeal to me, but research does!
I wonder what other English speaking schools are in Ukraine, I never researched it...
Simferopol had an English speaking medical school and other departments, don't know its current status

Offline Cameraguy

• Trips: > 10
Offshoot
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
This forum is lucky to have someone like Boethius. Obviously intelligent and very well spoken, I can't think of much she's posted that I disagree with. It's so refreshing to hear a real life UW regularly challenge the silly myths about "traditional" and "old style" RW/UW that the agencies have been forever promulgating to disillusioned and gullible men. Yes, there are such women in the FSU like there are anywhere, but it has little to do with their nationality. Boethius even admits to being a feminist, lol, the dirtiest and most despicable word to many WM here.

Of the two RW/UW I've known the best, one earned $175k her first year working a crazy amount of hours selling real estate, which put her in the top 1% of local agents. The other is in medical school. Both are away more often than they're home. Both are extremely hard-working and dedicated to their careers and have purchased apartments for their parents/siblings in the FSU. One is wonderful in every way but has never done a bit of housework, which is no big deal because they have the means to hire maids.

Boethius' experience and advice should be given more consideration but her posts are quickly buried in a sea of opinion and conjecture. When will some of you guys quit the generalizations and realize that RW/UW are every bit as different and unique as AW?

~CG

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
Thank you, CG, however, I am from the Ukrainian diaspora and grew up in Canada.  My perspectives are decidedly Western, because I am Western.  My mother was born in Canada, my father was, and three of my grandparents were.  Even three sets of great grandparents were born in, or grew up in Canada.

The Ukrainian perspectives my grandparents knew, even my grandmother, who left Ukraine as an adult, were very different from Soviet perspectives.  My better half grew up with both sets of his grandparents.  One set married before the Revolution, the other set were children when the Revolution occurred, but grew up in very well off families.  All of them were raised with "pre Soviet" values, and Soviet values and life were foreign to them.  The Soviet attitudes still prevail in all the Slavic parts of the former USSR.

I did live there in Soviet times with my husband, both legally and illegally, though, and do speak the languages fluently.  We travel there, but once my MIL passes, my husband won't go back, he has zero desire now.

Now, the FSUW who posts here occasionally who is definitely a feminist is pitbull - she is a native of Minsk, and absolutely brilliant.  She built a career in the West, and has children.  She also has posted she has a cleaning lady, because she hates cleaning.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:10:26 PM by Boethius »

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
I didn't go to "score".  When I went, the chance of someone you "scored" with leaving the USSR was practically zero, unless they were Jewish.  It took the collapse of the USSR for my husband to be able to leave.

None of the women you are interested in would have endured what my husband did - KGB questioning on numerous occasions, indignities at OVIR, meetings at work where everyone is told to denounce you, forced to work 18 hour days surrounded by drunkards, because if you quit your job, you won't find another one, stopped by the police daily and searched. Those are only the highlights. I need to go do some work. 

The boys I went to school with, and who were interested in me, became engineers, lawyers, and physicians. 

PS - krimster - pitbull.

This post was composed wtihout the aid of google.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:43:29 PM by Boethius »

Offline John Gaunt

Offshoot
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
dewd,

don’t fall for her demure demeanor
the modest, shy girl routine

she went to Ukraine to score just like WE DID, horrosho, ponelle?

jeez, clever girl, I imagine that her only other potential partners were goofy Canadian farm boys, eh?  and we all know there a buncha beer swillin hosers!!!

oh NO BO!!!  you said her name a second time!!!!!

I beg you, please do not repeat it again, you know what will happen if you say HER name a THIRD time, it has been foretold by the prophets in all the old legends!!!!! 
crap! where's my talisman?
You need to lay off whatever juice it is you're swilling.

Online krimster2

Offshoot
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
BO, you are a MASTER deflector, I grew up around lawyers, definitely can detect one....

nobody said nuthin bout leavin the USSR....
nope, but I bet you found out pretty quick from the boys how much they appreciate a “priezhy princess” , yeah but probably not the girls though, did you have many fights with them?

how do I know all this?  am I psychic? nyet! well maybe a little...
have a daughter nearly the same age you were and it was almost like in the movies where a guy would lay his coat in the mud so a pretty woman would not get her shoes dirty
girl, if this wasn’t your experience, then your acne must’ve been WAY bad!
don’t you see the parallel about how much the guys there valued YOU the “foreigner"
vrs how the women there experience the “foreigner"

Offline Cameraguy

Offshoot
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
Its the first of Steve's versions

So you've been led to believe.

I'll even go along with the hard-working and dresses to the 10s when going out part. And to widely varying degrees the rest.

James, just be sure to get back to us when one of those "traditional" girls fleeces you for a couple grand (or more) because you naively thought they were all the same.

~CG

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:00:20 PM by Cameraguy »

Offline rwd123

Offshoot
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
The grass IS greener on the other side IF you are an exotic foreigner. Works the world over for both men and women, "ooh, he's a Spanish guy!" or "that chick's from Venezeula!". People become more curious than if you live around the corner, and a little mystery is good for guys.

These days foreigners are not so exotic in the FSU - especially in Ukraine. British and Americans are NOT exotic in Eastern Europe and there are plenty of women who wish to avoid such men (Turks and Arabs are in another league of avoidance).

James, you really have a warped view of FSUW women. Ukraine is not the land of milk and honey. It is an economically, politically and morally devastated country. Good women are there but it's needles and haystacks if you don't have your wits about you. Even if you do it is still pot luck finding a decent girl for marriage and they may not be interested in foreigners (I recall reading a survey conducted in Russia (or Moscow), and only 8% of women were interested in dating foreign men).

Offline The Natural

Offshoot
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
Just be sure to get back to us when one of those "traditional" girls fleeces you for a couple grand (or more) because you naively thought they were all the same.

Haha, a good one  :D

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
BO, you are a MASTER deflector, I grew up around lawyers, definitely can detect one....

nobody said nuthin bout leavin the USSR....
nope, but I bet you found out pretty quick from the boys how much they appreciate a “priezhy princess” , yeah but probably not the girls though, did you have many fights with them?

how do I know all this?  am I psychic? nyet! well maybe a little...
have a daughter nearly the same age you were and it was almost like in the movies where a guy would lay his coat in the mud so a pretty woman would not get her shoes dirty
girl, if this wasn’t your experience, then your acne must’ve been WAY bad!
don’t you see the parallel about how much the guys there valued YOU the “foreigner"
vrs how the women there experience the “foreigner"

I had zero arguments with women.  None.  I don't know what "priezhy" means (perhaps spell it in Russian?), but overall, people avoided me, because I'm a Westerner, and Westerners, particularly if one was ambitious, meant trouble.  Only my relatives, individuals who were not reliant on the "system" in any manner (so they didn't have "careers"), and informants were "interested" in me.  Sure, I got hit on, but as soon as that guy learned I was a Western foreigner, he was gone faster than the speed of sound.

Offline Jamesukjames

Offshoot
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »
Hang on I've actually lived the life of t-shirts knickers and popa around the house.  Sure beats the western version.  Sad you clean living yanks have not experienced it.  I have every time although I'm starting to wonder why I'm education the opposition.   If you guys don't want to believe me so be it.

Offline Jamesukjames

Offshoot
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
As to a couple of grand so be it a ww who was hell to live with blew 550000 plus 100000 on lawyers and 120000 on tax that I could have avoided.  It's all relative.  And wasted 4 years in and out of court .  Omg I sound like msmob.

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Hang on I've actually lived the life of t-shirts knickers and popa around the house.  Sure beats the western version.  Sad you clean living yanks have not experienced it.  I have every time although I'm starting to wonder why I'm education the opposition.   If you guys don't want to believe me so be it.

You do recognize that was just a way to manipulate you, correct?

Offline Cameraguy

Offshoot
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
As to a couple of grand so be it a ww who was hell to live with blew 550000 plus 100000 on lawyers and 120000 on tax that I could have avoided.  It's all relative.  And wasted 4 years in and out of court .

There was a very well-known poster on the old RWG board who married a *much* younger RW he brought over on a student visa. He bragged that this gave him enough time to "test drive" her before making a commitment. One of his (in)famous quotes was, "it takes two exceptional people to make a big age difference work."

After spending him into the ground with *many* 100s of thousands of dollars to support a luxurious lifestyle, his business went bust during the 2008-09 downturn.

Shortly thereafter he wound up deathly ill in the hospital and she left him before he had to retire on a Social Security disability pension. She later confided to a friend that  she had no intention from the beginning of staying with him.

So don't think you've got a uniquely Western horror story.

Online krimster2

Offshoot
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
" had zero arguments with women.  None.  I don't know what "priezhy" means (perhaps spell it in Russian?), but overall, people avoided me, because I'm a Westerner, and Westerners, particularly if one was ambitious, meant trouble.  Only my relatives, individuals who were not reliant on the "system" in any manner (so they didn't have "careers"), and informants were "interested" in me.  Sure, I got hit on, but as soon as that guy learned I was a Western foreigner, he was gone faster than the speed of sound.
"

that BLOWS MY MIND!!!
because it is the opposite for me and my daughters
instead of repelling Russkie ludie our foreignness does the opposite and attracts them!!!!
or maybe, it is because of our exceptional physical beauty and just outright charm, yeah, that's IT!!!
in which case BO, I'm sorry your experience wasn't the same, but looks aren't everything, I'm sure you'll be fine....

"priezhy"
no clue how to spell in cyrillic, I mean ONLY a Russian would know that, and obviously, haha, I'm NOT Russian, haha
"priezhy", you know, like outsider, somebody not from around here...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:33:36 PM by krimster2 »

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Offshoot
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »

There was a very well-known poster on the old RWG board who married a *much* younger RW he brought over on a student visa. He bragged that this gave him enough time to "test drive" her before making a commitment. One of his (in)famous quotes was, "it takes two exceptional people to make a big age difference work."

After spending him into the ground with *many* 100s of thousands of dollars to support a luxurious lifestyle, his business went bust during the 2008-09 downturn.

Shortly thereafter he wound up deathly ill in the hospital and she left him before he had to retire on a Social Security disability pension. She later confided to a friend that  she had no intention from the beginning of staying with him.

So don't think you've got a uniquely Western horror story.

Met him and his wife. Had dinner with them...He since married a Chinese lady relatively closer to his age and appeared here to say so himself.

But there was another RWG poster who actually spent 100s of thousands for his FSU wife and daughter and all he did was bitch about it on the board. Took him to the cleaners. maxx actually tells the saga of the poster in a humorous way...never intending offense, of course.

Remember Richard's almost famous saga in Ukraine when his date wanted him to buy a yatch?  :P Forgot the expression...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:50:09 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
" had zero arguments with women.  None.  I don't know what "priezhy" means (perhaps spell it in Russian?), but overall, people avoided me, because I'm a Westerner, and Westerners, particularly if one was ambitious, meant trouble.  Only my relatives, individuals who were not reliant on the "system" in any manner (so they didn't have "careers"), and informants were "interested" in me.  Sure, I got hit on, but as soon as that guy learned I was a Western foreigner, he was gone faster than the speed of sound.
"

that BLOWS MY MIND!!!
because it is the opposite for me and my daughters
instead of repelling Russkie ludie our foreignness does the opposite and attracts them!!!!
or maybe, it is because of our exceptional physical beauty and just outright charm, yeah, that's IT!!!
in which case BO, I'm sorry your experience wasn't the same, but looks aren't everything, I'm sure you'll be fine....

"priezhy"
no clue how to spell in cyrillic, I mean ONLY a Russian would know that, and obviously, haha, I'm NOT Russian, haha
"priezhy", you know, like outsider, somebody not from around here...

But you and your daughters, krimster, were there after the collapse.  As Westerners, you, and they are a source of potential income or at the very least, a contact.

The experiences of my youth are very different because the CPSU controlled everything.  Anyone who was a part of the "system" had to report the contents of their conversations with me.  Most everything involving Westerners was controlled by a part of the KGB, and most conversations were recorded.  I know for a fact our apartment was bugged (predates me, actually), and years later, before the collapse but when I was studying, I became friends with the son of a famous dissident (who had been exchanged for some South American communist), who told me exactly what was bugged.  He was the only person who really understood what I'd gone through, and what I was going through.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:51:12 PM by Boethius »

Online krimster2

Offshoot
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »
what if the Soviet Union hadn't collapsed, but instead the opposite happened, would you still be there?
that for me would be a scary thought

Offline Boethius

Offshoot
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
We both always believed in God's will, and knew that we would be together.

Ukrainians have a superstition, that if you place a piece of wedding cake under a girl's pillow, she will dream of her future husband.  I always felt the cake, because I tend to put my arm under my pillow.  But one time, I did sleep with a piece of wedding cake under my pillow - didn't know it until my mother told me the next morning.  That night, I dreamt of being at Boryspil Airport, where I'd been a few years earlier, kissing a man, and knowing that as I boarded a plane, that I would not see him again for more than seven years.  I was barely 15 at the time, so far before I knew the better half, and before I had even contemplated studying in Ukraine.  The better half has more than one similar story (no wedding cake, though), which I won't share, because they're his stories, not mine.  So, when I went down this path, I knew it would be a long one, but that it would end well.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:05:26 PM by Boethius »

Online krimster2

Offshoot
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »
"We both always believed in God's will"

as well as his testament no doubt...
I think all of us are, in a way predestined, our future decided by something we don't know or understand
and then, "POOF" you're dead!  bummer!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2222
Total: 2233

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM