It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Issues with Western Union  (Read 2889 times)

Offline JuanCarlos70

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Issues with Western Union
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:42 AM »
Greetings friends, I sent my Kateryna some funds earlier this week for her to take care of some things for her family, I have known this woman since January, she has never asked for anything, I offered to assist, when I attempted to send a few extra dollars the next day, I received some max error from Western Union, is this a block on her name or on mine?  Western Union has no definitive answers, I tried MoneyGram but they are useless, are there other ways to send money to her?  Any information would be gladly appreciated

- J

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Re: Issues with Western Union
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
J

WU have a helpline

I have used it when there has been issues with the receiver collecting

If it is your first transaction... expect security checks

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:38:36 AM »
You may have to go to an outlet for WU or moneygram, rather than sending money online.  I know I ran into that issue, which is because of fraud in Ukraine.

I use moneygram, I have found it better than WU, and my relatives can pick up the money 10 minutes after I send it.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Greetings friends, I sent my Kateryna some funds earlier this week for her to take care of some things for her family, I have known this woman since January, she has never asked for anything, I offered to assist, when I attempted to send a few extra dollars the next day, I received some max error from Western Union, is this a block on her name or on mine?  Western Union has no definitive answers, I tried MoneyGram but they are useless, are there other ways to send money to her?  Any information would be gladly appreciated

- J

Western Union uses a variety of tests to determine whether you should be able to send money.  One of the tests is the creation of a repeating distribution.  i.e. you are sending money to the same location the day after you sent some before.  Their software believes that this is a red flag.  I should point out that you are now probably blocked from doing any online transfers.   It has happened to me before.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Boethius

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
I was blocked by WU as well.  I called them and was told the only way to send money would be to go to an outlet. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
I used to use WU but now use moneygram ( as Bo mentioned). Never use online anymore, just go to an outlet, plenty of them everywhere and use cash and send. Never had a problem, always went through
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
I was blocked by WU as well.  I called them and was told the only way to send money would be to go to an outlet.

Hi Boe,

Was this recent? Is this just a block on Ukraine? I sent money to Belarus about a month ago using the web site without issues. I hope this is not how things will work from now on. It is not always convenient to go to a brick and mortar outlet. Damn this cyberage is making me lazy!  ;D

HDL

Offline Boethius

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
No, not recently, a few years ago.  But it was part of the reason we changed to moneygram.  One of us just goes the local drugstore, which has a post office, and sends money from there.  In our neighbourhood, there is a WU in Safeway, and a moneygram at Canada Post, almost side by side.  I just found moneygram easier to deal with, and their fees were a little lower, though not significant.

In Kyiv, moneygram can be picked up at the Central post office, and the recipient can ask for dollars or euros.  WU is usually picked up at banks, and often, the local has to take UAH.  That's since Maidan, previously, they could take the money in foreign currency.  If they don't need all the money immediately, because of their inflation, it's not optimal to take UAH.  That may not be an issue in Russia or Belarus.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:58:26 AM by Boethius »

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »
I posted my advice in the guys introduction thread here
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21964.msg463425#msg463425

Bill
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:38:06 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701