It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi  (Read 84306 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
If she has no romantic interest in you, how did you see her breasts? Did you have a "friends with benefits" arraignment?

Crazy!

Offline Maxx2

This Post needs a BillyB comment and his excellent advice...
« Reply #401 on: September 14, 2020, 03:48:14 AM »

Finding really hot peppers here in Georgia has been difficult. Larissa was trying find a source in Tbilisi. So I am walking down the street heading for a corner restaurant I frequent. About halfway there I see stairs along the sidewalk leading to the lower level. By it is a sign that says "OPEN". Sitting on the ledge is what looks like red chili peppers drying in the sun.

I go to the restaurant, have my omelet and thinking I should inquire about these.

So I walk back and notice a young Thai woman come out the door at the bottom of the stairs with her friend. I ask if the peppers are for sale. I'm told they are, if I come inside. I declined and said maybe later. I could see getting into trouble. Seeing that I am leaving she then says she will sell them to me. I ask "How much." Ten Lari for the bag. So I give her a 10 Lari note. I thought it was high but I wanted to see if they are what I need. The other lady gives me the others on a stick as a throw in. I get back to my shop. Do the calculations in regard to the cost, $105 for 5 pounds. I chose 5 pounds as I am having 5 pounds of dried smoked Chipotle peppers shipped to me via Amazon. At the cost of $60 and $15 for shipping. I am sure I can negotiate a much lower price without the need go down stairs...

By the way the Thai peppers have the heat we were looking for. Wonder how they will taste after they have been smoked?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:02 AM »
Flights to Georgia are on hold until May 22nd. At least half the businesses on my block are closed down. Everyone is hanging on by their fingernails.

http://www.georgianjournal.ge/business/36504-air-traffic-to-be-halted-until-may-22-gcaa-says.html

I am still in the set-up mode. Doing my covid-19 self distancing stickers, photographing the menu items and waiting for sane times to return.

Saturday the big parliamentary elections were held. The predominate party, "The Georgia Dream" held their power with 48% of the vote. Their main challenger the United Nationalists and the party of Saakachvili in exile in Ukraine got 27%. People are screaming voter fraud. Most of the expats here were for the United Nationalists. ALL Americans to the man and woman are pulling for Trump. Even most other expats of various nationalities and Georgians and the Turks are pulling for Trump. I had a woman from the UAE tell me for the first time her family in various parts of the Middle East are safe. They are all pulling for a Trump win. 

Got a new worker. At last a good worker who shows up on time. Teaching her to make tomato puree. The stuff in the can is actually less expensive but is has a funky chemical taste of preservatives. 

10 kilos of tomatoes @ $9.25. Should cook down to 5 kilos of puree.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:56:16 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2020, 07:50:14 AM »
Flights to Georgia are on hold until May 22nd. At least half the businesses on my block are closed down. Everyone is hanging on by their fingernails.

A 6 month hold on flights???  Is the government helping businesses and people who are out of a job?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »

A 6 month hold on flights??? Is the government helping businesses and people who are out of a job?

Barely. Usually a one time givens of small amounts of money. Usually under a hundred dollars. Some of the expats said that after the elections (last Saturday) everything would go back to normal. I said, "No, it might get worse because the politicians have nothing to restrain them."

The politicians all over the world who have taken the stand of shutting things down do not want to admit they might have taken the wrong approach. I said it before and was censored that we may have to just let the virus run its course. Masks don't filter out viruses. Social distancing doesn't work. Staying locked up in your house does to a degree until you have to leave it to get food or work. If you have work. My biggest fear is not the virus but an economic crash. Sort of there already. 

Offline Maxx2

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »

http://www.georgianjournal.ge/business/36504-air-traffic-to-be-halted-until-may-22-gcaa-says.html

I am still in the set-up mode. Doing my covid-19 self distancing stickers, photographing the menu items and waiting for sane times to return.

Saturday the big parliamentary elections were held. The predominate party, "The Georgia Dream" held their power with 48% of the vote. Their main challenger the United Nationalists and the party of Saakachvili in exile in Ukraine got 27%. People are screaming voter fraud. Most of the expats here were for the United Nationalists. ALL Americans to the man and woman are pulling for Trump. Even most other expats of various nationalities and Georgians and the Turks are pulling for Trump. I had a woman from the UAE tell me for the first time her family in various parts of the Middle East are safe. They are all pulling for a Trump win. 

Got a new worker. At last a good worker who shows up on time. Teaching her to make tomato puree. The stuff in the can is actually less expensive but is has a funky chemical taste of preservatives. 

10 kilos of tomatoes @ $9.25. Should cook down to 5 kilos of puree.

So are you actually open for business yet, or??

Great photos.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2020, 12:17:05 AM »
So are you actually open for business yet, or??

Great photos.

Thank you.

I am hesitant in opening until next year which is less than 2 months. The problem is as a USC I have to report any income I make outside the US. Even if it is a small amount. Which no doubt it will be. Do I want to hassle with a 1040 form when I haven't had to since I retired on Social Security (Non-taxed)?

Except for hanging a few signs I got everything done. All that is left to do is get a license to open a restaurant. Which is quick, easy and at a low cost. Then I fall into the tax system here...  So I am perfecting this place. I've found out that Georgian men love to take selfies with hats and replica guns. So I got some of those on order from Amazon and Ebay.

1869 Schofield

1873 Army Colt Peacemaker

1892 Winchester

All non-firing replicas. I've got some holsters on there way and the gun belts will be made here.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2020, 12:51:02 AM »

False alarm. When I seen this article it said "invalid date". This is an article from April! Sorry folks....

Offline BillyB

« Reply #409 on: November 03, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
So I am perfecting this place. I've found out that Georgian men love to take selfies with hats and replica guns. So I got some of those on order from Amazon and Ebay.

Great idea to give your place some character and provide customers with memories. Hopefully customs doesn't confiscate your replicas.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2020, 09:48:10 PM »
Maxx,

I admire your persistence with this endeavor as well as continuing the thread.

For what it is worth the 'food styling' in the meals depicted was quite good! If it tastes as good as it looks and has both novelty and value, you might be able to create a lucrative business.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2020, 12:48:51 AM »

Great idea to give your place some character and provide customers with memories. Hopefully customs doesn't confiscate your replicas.

If you look closely in the photo of the hats and pancho there is a replica revolver of a 1861 Civil War Colt. When I got it the package was inspected (opened). It passed so I am keeping my fingers crossed about the other three on there way

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #412 on: November 05, 2020, 11:58:01 PM »
Maxx

The Lari is tumbling due to the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan , instability due to the recent election ( in the Republic of Georgia) results being protested AND the  renewed  threat from COVID-19

Can you  start to trade as a takeaway  (food to go)?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #413 on: November 26, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »

The "lockdown" here in Georgia are about to begin so says the news. They are to continue till sometime in February unless they are extended...

I would estimate from the empty closed down and shuttered businesses here in Batumi more than half of the businesses are out of business.

Tomorrow all bars, restaurants, gyms are to be closed.

Plan 'B' for me is I will be working with the 'Z' the manager of a soon to be closed down popular establishment. In exchange for various help from her and her boyfriend I will keep them fed and provide small amounts of money for various sundries they need. My restaurant is about 95 + % finished. Mostly what I need to do is a website and a menu and of course wait for saner times.   

"Take away" food as they call it here is allowable. Glovo, Menu.ge and Wolt are the delivery services. They charge 35% of the cost of the food delivered. The government charges a VAT tax of 18%. The 47% that is left over is where the restaurants are supposed to make money. Of course there is the overhead of the cost of the food, rent, utilities and labor that comes out of the 47%. Frankly many restaurants have given up on delivery services all together.

Part of Plan 'B' is for me to sell my food as "take away" out of the closed down popular establishment and do own own delivery. I got the car. Public transportation is also closed. But private cars are allowed so far. This time they allow mechanics to continue to work unlike what they did back in parts of April and May. 

The world has lost its mind.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:09:14 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #414 on: November 26, 2020, 05:57:31 AM »

The world as lost its mind I am afraid.

..and what would you suggest ?  Have you attended an A&E dept ( ER ) room, recently ?

MANY nations are beyond coping and if you are 60+ you are not a priority ..   I don't think you want Georgia to be in that state.

It's the less crapier option, until vaccine rollouts

Why not start a competitor to the big three Restaurant delivery services ?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #415 on: November 26, 2020, 06:14:00 AM »
The Georgian government has decided to tighten and expand restrictions throughout the country.
Based on the decision of the Interagency Coordination Council, from November 28 to January 31, the following will be FORBIDDEN in Georgia:
Movement of persons from 21:00 to 05:00 on foot or by transport, as well as being in public spaces. Exceptions will be New Year's Eve - December 31 and Christmas Eve - January 6;
Regular intercity transportation of passengers, including by rail, bus, minibus. There are NO restrictions on cars (including taxis);
Operations of gyms and swimming pools;
Activities of sports, art and cultural circles/studios;
Holding all kinds of live conferences, trainings, cultural and entertainment events. The above will only be allowed online;
Restaurants and eateries will be fully switched to takeaway service. Allowed services: takeaway, "delivery" and "drive".

In big cities - Tbilisi, Batumi, Kutaisi, Rustavi, Gori, Poti, Zugdidi, Telavi - and ski resorts Bakuriani, Gudauri, Goderdzi and Mestia, the following restrictions are additionally imposed:
Operation of municipal transport within the borders of Tbilisi, Telavi, Batumi, Kutaisi, Rustavi, Gori, Poti and Zugdidi;
Shopping facilities (except for grocery stores, animal food stores, pharmacies, veterinary pharmacies, household chemicals and hygiene shops and press booths) will operate only remotely;
Outdoor and indoor markets will not operate. Agrarian markets will continue to function;
Schools, vocational schools and higher education institutions (except medical education programs) are fully switched to distance learning;
Private and public kindergartens will close;
The operation of hotels in ski resorts will be allowed only for the arrangement of quarantine spaces. The operation of ski slopes and ski lifts will be suspended until February 1st.

Restrictions will be eased between December 24 and January 2:
Shopping centers, outdoor and indoor markets will operate;
Operation of both municipal and intercity transport will be restored;

From January 3 to January 15:
All restrictions imposed from 28 November to 24 December shall be reinstated;
Public and private institutions will not operate, except for banks and objects and services of strategic importance.

From January 16 to January 31 across the country:
Operations of municipal and intercity transport, shops and outdoor and indoor markets (except weekends) will be restored;
BUT on weekends, transport, shopping malls and markets will stop working;
During this period, transportation by car (including taxi) will not be restricted and the restrictions will not apply to all other economic activities, including:
Public and private construction-repair activities- allowed;
Banking and financial activities- allowed;
Operation of grocery stores, animal food stores, pharmacies, veterinary pharmacies, household chemicals and hygiene stores and press booths- allowed;
Delivery and takeaway services- allowed;
Operation of beauty salons and aesthetic medicine centers- allowed;
Car maintenance and technical inspection services- allowed;
Home appliance repair services -allowed;
The operation of the agrarian markets -allowed.
And so on.

By Ana Dumbadze

goldenstone

« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2020, 04:26:12 AM »
..and what would you suggest ?  Have you attended an A&E dept ( ER ) room, recently ?

MANY nations are beyond coping and if you are 60+ you are not a priority ..   I don't think you want Georgia to be in that state.

It's the less crapier option, until vaccine rollouts

Why not start a competitor to the big three Restaurant delivery services ?

I have docs as friends. There is none of this actually happening.

Offline msmob

« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
I have docs as friends. There is none of this actually happening.

Hello 'goldenstone'

You picked the wrong guy to have a 'debate' about docs in the firing line... ;)

Take your conspiracies and post them.......thank you

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #418 on: December 06, 2020, 06:49:04 AM »

An article

Op-Ed
As the nation moves into the grey chill of December, the redeeming joys of gathering with friends and family in a warm restaurant or bar are all but a faded memory. Heavy-handed mandates by the government have closed retail outlets, gathering places, and any respite from the doldrums of winter have been ripped from the people’s hands. While this is an immense hit on the social life of many, the true casualties are the small businesses that are forced to go to ground. Especially since these restrictions are set to be in force through the holiday season, one of the more economically robust periods of the year.
Where normally tourists and local residents alike are out dining, shopping, and generally driving the consumer end of the economy, this fiscal year, it will be frozen. While the government refuses to label it a “lockdown”, there are few other words to describe the draconian measures being taken against a virus with an extremely low kill ratio. A virus with a 99.1% survival rate among those who contract it, and a statistically 3.84% chance of even being contracted, should not have the control over the country that it does.
The government action is claimed to be backed by science and medical perspectives. However, this is a monochromatic way of looking at things. The economic, social, and security voices have largely been left unheard.
Economically, Georgia is already bleeding from the first battle with restrictions. With a new round of restrictions comes a new round of victims. In the first 10 months of 2020, the Georgian economy has shrunk 5.1%. While a small number on the surface, this is massive for an economy already fighting for every fraction of growth percentage. With the announcement of more restrictions in November, experts are painting a worrisome picture for the future.
This impending collapse of the small business machine that underpins much of the local microeconomics in the large cities is like a rot in the walls. While it may not be seen so clearly now, it will slowly eat away at the structure of the nation. In addition, the loss of livelihoods for the people that own and work in these business will be the catalyst for a social shift.
This social shift, some of which is already being seen, has the potential to be a slippery slope backwards for the country. Many Georgians still remember the socio-economic strife of the 1990s, and with due fear would never wish its return. While this is still a fair way off in the future, it is shifts like we are seeing now that are the first rumblings of its return. The recent string of high-profile robberies is a stark contrast to the calm of the past years. In the first day of December, a hospital meant for the treatment of COVID patients was robbed at gunpoint.
This uptick in crime is only the tip of the incoming iceberg that further restrictions and their harsh enforcement will bring. As people are left with few other options, many will return to the ways that they know will bring them income. In addition, violent crime, drug use and alcoholism will begin to set in. People stuck at home, with little motivation and no work, are more likely to resort to alternative means of respite. While there has been a small drug-fueled underworld in Tbilisi for some time, this has largely been kept in strict check by local law enforcement. Now, this will start to grow its influence, with more users turning to its euphoric allure.
This expansion of the criminal world stands to make life increasing harder for local authorities to provide the quality of life and stability to which many have become accustomed. The increased efforts to curb this expansion by the government will mean more restrictions and more heavy-handed efforts against the people. In return, the people will defy orders and respond with more violent crime, eventually turning on their local law enforcement and government representatives. The future snowball effect of this exchange is bleak.
While the intentions of the government restrictions may be well placed, they are off center when it comes to their effectiveness. Curfews are widely viewed as an unnecessary and misguided attempt to stop movement, as if a virus is set to a timer and only works a graveyard shift. Mandatory mask-wearing in open public spaces where the effectiveness is virtually nil, and forcing people to wear something that is largely a cosmetic representation of your adherence to regulations is something many would have thought to be something out of a dystopian novel.
The government’s willingness to turn their back on the economic lifelines that fuel the very country they say they are sworn to protect is disheartening. While they attempt to look through the eyes of the medical professional, they ignore the economist, the shopkeeper, the worker, and even the local policeman just trying to keep his childhood district safe from crime. The restrictions and their furtherance are an advancement of a line of rhetoric that only the fiscally illiterate and socio-economically inept would pursue. The best case scenario is to embrace smart and safe practices, and continue to let the economy, the free market, and the strength of the Georgian people, overcome this “pandemic.” The Kartli people of the mountains have weathered far worse, and this foreign invader will not be any exception.
By Michael Godwin

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #419 on: December 06, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »

When it got to the Batumi post office they got scared and sent them to Tbilisi for customs to inspect. It passed.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2020, 07:44:53 AM »

From left to right

1869 Schofield, 1892 Winchester, 1873 Colt and one in the back is an 1861 Army Colt. Except for the latter they look, feel, sound (the sound of the hammers coming back) so realist I am a afraid they might get stolen and used in a crime. A few days ago the Tbilisi Sea Hospital was robbed. And there has been several high profile bank robberies with hostages. Desperate times make desperate people.

The Schofield cracks open to reload. It came with 6 "bullets". The Winchester cocks like the one in the 60's TV show 'The Rifleman".

The '73 Colt even has a bullet injector so you can load it and then push out the supposed used shells. The barrels only are drilled out about 4 to 6 inches. When you cock the hammer the barrel rotates except for the '61 Colt. That one was a cheap made Chinese model I got for $26. The other pistols ran about $60 each. The rifle $115. On the stock on the right sign is the initials  'JW' for John Wayne.

The Rifleman youtube has Lee Van Clift before he became famous in The Good The Bad and The Ugly. 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:07:04 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2020, 10:13:10 PM »
Those are good looking replicas. Got a way to mount them on the wall so they aren't easily stolen?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2020, 11:40:10 PM »
Those are good looking replicas. Got a way to mount them on the wall so they aren't easily stolen?

I thought of buying some hangers and small padlock locks with cables. Now I am worried that Batumi will descend into chaos with rioting and looting. As I wrote someplace else.

"Victims" of covid includes those unemployed and businesses that have been shuttered. On my block in the old historic downtown of Batumi there used to be 19 businesses (I did a count). Now there are only one "take away" restaurant and 2 very small grocery stores. The owner of the restaurant has laid off all of his employees. I have a restaurant that is shuttered. Glovo and Wolt wanted to charge me a 35% food delivery charge and this is on top of a 18% VAT tax. My best friend in Tbilisi has been out of work for 9 months. He is trying to get a visa for Poland so he can work and send money home to his wife and young children. These are facts.

A while ago I did a check of the 2019 annual deaths here in Georgia. It was 46,659 of a population of 3.7 million people. In trying to use these numbers to put the reaction to covid into perspective it is quite easy to look callous and cruel.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:42:35 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #423 on: December 06, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
Maxx

Last week hospitals in Tbilisi were at full stretch and folks on trolleys or waiting in Ambulances for houre to be seen .

THAT is why what you deem 'unfair' is happening.

The govt is trying to stop COVID-19  rendering the  health service unable to cope..

Offline BillyB

« Reply #424 on: December 06, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »

A while ago I did a check of the 2019 annual deaths here in Georgia. It was 46,659 of a population of 3.7 million people. In trying to use these numbers to put the reaction to covid into perspective it is quite easy to look callous and cruel.

I don't think a lot of governments are honest with the numbers. Reporting bad numbers is political suicide so why do it.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1877
Total: 1888

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM