It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Different perspective or delusional?  (Read 25016 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Different perspective or delusional?
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »
I am about 50 miles south of Buffalo on 65 just outside Springfield.

I've been to Springfield and remember a café I went to called "Lambert's". They threw hot rolls to the customers and I loved their fried Okra.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10:27 AM »
Oh c'mon, don't tell me you've never had fresh baked oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies from the oven? You don't know what you're missing, mate. ;)

No - those are BISCUITS in this part of the world.  ;D

American biscuits are the same as Canadian buttermilk scones. I have no idea why you think you'd be hauled away for putting gravy on a scone, you should try it you might like it.  :)

All you can legally put on scones is jam and whipped cream!  :ROFL:  Putting gravy on scones would be as bad as having a tomato sauce sandwich.

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
American biscuits/Canadian scones are really good with honey or various fruit preserves. I'm from Colorado; we couldn't maintain our #1 or 2 position as least obese state in the US if we ate biscuits with sausage gravy.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »

I've been to Springfield and remember a café I went to called "Lambert's". They threw hot rolls to the customers and I loved their fried Okra.

There's several of them now. I stop in Lamberts every chance I get. I've even driven 50 miles out of the way to get to it. It's the home of "the throwed roll"

All you can legally put on scones is jam and whipped cream!  :ROFL:  Putting gravy on scones would be as bad as having a tomato sauce sandwich.

You keep up and we'll need to send you an invoice for this education. There is a difference in a roll and a biscuit. You really should get out some and experience more. Everything isn't bangers and mash by permission of her majesty the Queen  :ROFL:

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »
Everything isn't bangers and mash by permission of her majesty the Queen  :ROFL:
Or spam ;D. When I toured the entire Scottish coast back in 1971, the food was horrible - I managed to survive with lunches of tea and scones.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:17:21 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
You keep up and we'll need to send you an invoice for this education.

Other way round, I would have thought.

There is a difference in a roll and a biscuit.

Nobody would disagree with that premise - it's what constitutes a "roll" and a "biscuit" that might cause confusion.

Everything isn't bangers and mash by permission of her majesty the Queen  :ROFL:

What have bangers and mash (great meal, by the way  :thumbsup:) got to do with biscuits, cookies or rolls?  Also, it's Her Majesty.

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »

Lambert's is still going strong and they are still throwing those rolls!

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
Also, it's Her Majesty.

Nope, it's your majesty, not ours.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2015, 12:50:33 AM »

Biscuit...

Cookie...

Cookie monster...

...note  the "cookie".

Any questions? :D

Brass

...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2015, 05:11:29 AM »
Biscuit...

Yup - it even says so!

Cookie...

Nope - biscuit again in this part of the world.

Cookie monster...

...note  the "cookie".

We have no need of monsters (of any kind) to help our children with biscuits!  :devil:

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »
Other way round, I would have thought.

Ah, no

Nobody would disagree with that premise - it's what constitutes a "roll" and a "biscuit" that might cause confusion.
Not so much for the learned
What have bangers and mash (great meal, by the way  :thumbsup:) got to do with biscuits, cookies or rolls?  Also, it's Her Majesty.

Unlike you with biscuits and gravy, I've actually had bangers and mash in merry ole England and no, far from what could be considered a great meal. In fact outside of fish and chips one would be hard pressed to even find a what most would consider a "great" meal in England. I've never known of anyone that actually traveled to England for it's cuisine  ;D

The whole her majesty the Queen bit, chalk that up to my biscuits and gravy ignorance. She is your majesty, not mine. You are her subject, I am not. I bow to no man. (or woman) That whole ruler by divine right thing just goes over the heads of most civilized countries.

:ROFL:

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
Ah, no
 Not so much for the learned
Unlike you with biscuits and gravy, I've actually had bangers and mash in merry ole England and no, far from what could be considered a great meal. In fact outside of fish and chips one would be hard pressed to even find a what most would consider a "great" meal in England. I've never known of anyone that actually traveled to England for it's cuisine  ;D

Actually, they have some of the best Indian food in the world.   ;D

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:33 AM »

The Chinese was also "to die for"  :D

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
Indian food
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »

You beat me to it.  There is considerable debate over whether Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in England or New Delhi. But either way, England is home to many excellent Indian restaurants. Much better fare than bangers and mash or shepherd's pie.

I still wouldn't fly to England for it, especially when I can find good Indian food locally and very good Indian food in Toronto.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »
Unlike you with biscuits and gravy, I've actually had bangers and mash in merry ole England and no, far from what could be considered a great meal.

Me too.  The greatness depends on what you're looking for - if your taste runs to fancy restaurant food, of course bangers and mash would be beneath you.  If you're looking for wholesome, filling food that takes almost no preparation, then bangers and mash fits the bill.

In fact outside of fish and chips one would be hard pressed to even find a what most would consider a "great" meal in England. I've never known of anyone that actually traveled to England for it's cuisine  ;D

Don't worry - I agree with you on this one, although you'll find better fish and chips in New Zealand (fact).

The whole her majesty the Queen bit, chalk that up to my biscuits and gravy ignorance. She is your majesty, not mine. You are her subject, I am not. I bow to no man. (or woman) That whole ruler by divine right thing just goes over the heads of most civilized countries.

:ROFL:

I agree that you are ignorant on this point, which is simply that her title is spelt with capital initial letters.  You spell "President" and "Judge" and "Pastor" and every other conceivable title with a capital letter - do Her Majesty the courtesy of treating her title in the same way.

As for the "ruler by divine right thing" - there are 53 countries in the Commonwealth, 32 of which are republics with an elected President (just like the USA), but that does not stop them acknowledging the Queen as their titular head.

Offline Anotherkiwi

Re: Indian food
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
But either way, England is home to many excellent Indian restaurants. Much better fare than bangers and mash or shepherd's pie.

As I can't eat Indian food, bangers and mash and shepherd's pie suit me just fine.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
do Her Majesty the courtesy of treating her title in the same way.
The Tea Tax must still rankle, after almost 3 centuries ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »
The Tea Tax must still rankle, after almost 3 centuries ;D.

He doesn't live anywhere near Boston, does he?   :D

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Biscuit...

Brass

Yes, may I please have some gravy on my biscuit?   ;D

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »
I agree that you are ignorant on this point, which is simply that her title is spelt with capital initial letters.  You spell "President" and "Judge" and "Pastor" and every other conceivable title with a capital letter - do Her Majesty the courtesy of treating her title in the same way.
Yeah I capitalized Queen. I'm not that ignorant there, commoner. I'm not the subject of her or anyone. She isn't my queen and I don't find her majestic in the slightest. I don't find anything special about anyone born into royalty

As for the "ruler by divine right thing" - there are 53 countries in the Commonwealth, 32 of which are republics with an elected President (just like the USA), but that does not stop them acknowledging the Queen as their titular head.

That's where you're wrong there, commoner. Those in the commonwealth are not "just like the USA". Many brave men and women fought and died so I wouldn't have to bow to that or any flag or any of the incestuous entitlement junkies that represent it. The sacrifice of those men and women far exceeds the insistence of some old fat British woman's need to feel superior  ;D

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:05 AM »
Yes, may I please have some gravy on my biscuit?   ;D

Now you're just confusing the issue. ;D

Apparently the biscuit vs. cookie vs. scone war has been waged before.

Here is a rather good explanation by a poster on a Q&A website...

What is the difference between a British scone and an American biscuit?

..." IMHO there isn't a huge difference between American (southern) biscuits and English scones. Both are quickbreads "...

..."I think the main difference is in the way they are eaten."...

..."American biscuits are an everyday starch usually eaten with savory dishes; in other words, they hold the same place in a meal as bread. The classic combinations are biscuits and gravy and fried chicken and biscuits"...

..."Scones in England and Scotland tend to be eaten as a sweet item with tea. They hold a similar place in a meal as pastries. They are often split in half and spread with unsalted butter or clotted cream (a very very thick cream), and jam or marmelade."...

..."To add to the confusion, a 'biscuit' in the UK is what's called a 'cookie' in the U.S., although the term 'cookie' has entered the British English vernacular, and is used for American style biscuit-cookies like chocolate chip cookies. But shortbread and digestives and other such traditional English cookies are still called biscuits."...

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-British-scone-and-an-American-biscuit

Canadians tend to pick up on American parlance as our day to day product lines, entertainment, societies and pretty well everything else edit: are interconnected.

Brass

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:21:48 AM by Brasscasing »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
Thank you, Brass.

..."Scones in England and Scotland tend to be eaten as a sweet item with tea. They hold a similar place in a meal as pastries. They are often split in half and spread with unsalted butter or clotted cream (a very very thick cream), and jam or marmalade."...

The butter doesn't have to be unsalted.  Margarine is also an alternative spread - it's just personal taste if you're eating them at home.  As for clotted cream, whipped cream is far more likely to be used (in New Zealand and Australia, at least).  Although tea is traditional, scones can be accompanied by any drink.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2015, 06:51:57 PM »
Yeah I capitalized Queen. I'm not that ignorant there, commoner. I'm not the subject of her or anyone. She isn't my queen and I don't find her majestic in the slightest. I don't find anything special about anyone born into royalty.

Good for you.  We don't give a toss about your governors, senators, or president, but we still give them the respect that their office should be due by capitalising their titles.  We also do that for the name of your country.

That's where you're wrong there, commoner. Those in the commonwealth are not "just like the USA". Many brave men and women fought and died so I wouldn't have to bow to that or any flag or any of the incestuous entitlement junkies that represent it. The sacrifice of those men and women far exceeds the insistence of some old fat British woman's need to feel superior  ;D

Give me a break!  If it wasn't for the Europeans (including the British) settling in and developing your country, you wouldn't be around to utter such pompous claptrap.  I don't bow to my flag, either, and plenty of my countrymen and women have also fought and died for that same reason.

As for the Queen, slightly plump she may be, but "fat" she is not.  She has no need to feel superior - she has proven often enough by her deeds over the years that she simply is superior to many.

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
After the great biscuits & gravy debate, I thought I would share the results of today's hunt.  Four nice young and tender grey squirrels, cleaned and ready for the oven.  Hopefully I get to cook them tonight.  The big red ones are tough as shoe leather, but the young greys?  Tender as the finest filet.  I started to put the pic up, but wasn't sure if some might be offended by skinned game.

Ah, the FSU may have the women, but Missouri has the finest cuisine! 

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
He thinks she will be more submissive than an American woman like his ex wife. 

If you are looking for a submissive, obedient wife DO NOT LOOK IN THE FSU!!!

More feminine yes, Thinner yes, Sexier yes, submissive? not just no, but hell no. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701