It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: SIM card for Ukraine  (Read 12293 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
SIM card for Ukraine
« on: January 04, 2018, 04:23:58 AM »
Which firm would one recommend for a month's duration pay as as you go sim to allow data / calls within UA - to allow multiple cities roaming for both services ?

Thanks

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: SIM card for Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »
There is not much  difference in phone companies in Ukraine. Moby, you must be thinking in terms of Russia. Sometimes what determines which company to choose is if friends are on a certain company (free calls to both) or if there is a sale for a certain company. I find some areas may have a certain company that is more dominant. In general, Kievstar in central, Livecell in south and MTC in the east. The cost is so cheap, I normally have 2 phones and use a couple phone companies.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »

Moby is asking on behalf of me. I will be in Lviv, Nicolaev, Vinnesta and Khmelnytsky hanging out a week in each city. It is an exploratory run for me on life on the go in Ukraine. I have to leave my adopted country Georgia once a year to stay residency compliant. I'll be traveling light, just a Nike gym bag, my Apple Air laptop and my Lenova unlocked cell. I leave Sunday morning at 5 AM and return 4 weeks later at Sunday morning 1 AM the 4th of February.

Moby recommended some Apps such as UBER and Google Maps with GPS. I have Google translate that I use occasionally here in the Republic of Georgia.

Offline msmob

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »
)) Hi Maxx

Just remember to download UA / RU lang on your google translate app and I recommend installing maps.me and downloading the detailed maps for each place on free - but secure -  wifi ))

http://kyivstar.ua/en/mm/tariffs#

I'm guessing you want pay monthly

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:00:34 AM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »
I have a maps program that I am going to test once I get out of my internet signal range. Presently it shows my location and a map that I entered Batumi train station as a test and it shows the route to it. I also have a UA / RU language download. All I have to do is talk into the microphone icon or type into the keypad to get both a written and verbal translation. I just tested the Ukrainian version just now, Works great though I think for the map I'll need to purchase some internet WiFi in Ukraine. I am relatively new to all of this.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
)) Hi Maxx

Just remember to download UA / RU lang on your google translate app and I recommend installing maps.me and downloading the detailed maps for each place on free - but secure -  wifi ))

http://kyivstar.ua/en/mm/tariffs#

I'm guessing you want pay monthly

Do I do that in Ukraine when I get my sim card at a store?

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »

Do I do that in Ukraine when I get my sim card at a store?

NO.. download all the apps you can on your Georgian wifi !

Edited to add:

,,,and UBER app

http://uberestimator.com/country/ukraine
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:24:13 AM by msmob »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
I will be in Lviv,

There's a cemetery in Lviv that is famous and always full or tourist buses. Forgot the name of it but ask about it and go see it. Historic and beautiful.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »

I'll be traveling light, just a Nike gym bag, my Apple Air laptop and my Lenova unlocked cell.

So you will wear same underwear all month, and just turn inside out once in a while?
What about all your prescription medications?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

There's a cemetery in Lviv that is famous and always full or tourist buses.

So that's where they bury the busses?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »

There's a cemetery in Lviv that is famous and always full or tourist buses. Forgot the name of it but ask about it and go see it. Historic and beautiful.
I agree with Billy. You must see it. It has several sections. There is a very old Polish section with knights buried there. There is a section for the great Patriotic war, and there are some famous people buried there like Ivan Franko and a few others. We spent hours there. I posted some pic from there in my second TR to Lviv.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:08:16 PM by Hammer2722 »
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
So you will wear same underwear all month, and just turn inside out once in a while?

Nothing wrong with that! Its how we submariners do it!  :P
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline LAman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »

Moby is asking on behalf of me. I will be in Lviv, Nicolaev, Vinnesta and Khmelnytsky hanging out a week in each city. It is an exploratory run for me on life on the go in Ukraine. I have to leave my adopted country Georgia once a year to stay residency compliant. I'll be traveling light, just a Nike gym bag, my Apple Air laptop and my Lenova unlocked cell. I leave Sunday morning at 5 AM and return 4 weeks later at Sunday morning 1 AM the 4th of February.

Moby recommended some Apps such as UBER and Google Maps with GPS. I have Google translate that I use occasionally here in the Republic of Georgia.

You have all the logistics set up?
4 weeks using a gym bag will clothes. May I say that is worse than a
Couchsurfer!!! Or is that what you are going for? )))

Google maps works great but need data to access your location. Using train or buses?
Curious why Nikolaev, not really area of other cities. Of course your entry point may matter.

Offline JayH

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
Which firm would one recommend for a month's duration pay as as you go sim to allow data / calls within UA - to allow multiple cities roaming for both services ?

Thanks

Life now called LIFECELL have ever expanding network, quality retail outlets ,ability to buy scratchcards to top up,or at booths everywhere via a cc or cash.
Can buy SIM at airport and get help to set up ( if needed) .
Data is included in monthly cost ( pay as you go)  Calls unlimited within network.
I think about   UAH  70 ish a month -they send reminders when credit is low. Not sure of SIM coast-- but not much.
It is a simple system to use
I would pay UAH200/300 to start-chances are that will be more than enough ( unless you are using data to watch movies etc !!)

http://www.lifecell.ua/en/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:54:49 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »
What about all your prescription medications?

Not much in the way of those. I just take one, insulin for Type 2 diabetes. I've got a few pens and that fit in the side pocket of the bag. As for the rest there is washing in the sink, rinsing in water and hanging over the radiator. I am not fancy. I lived in Saratov and Ekaterinburg back in pre 9/11 2001 and later in 2002 and 2003. I think things are probably better in Ukraine now than they were in Russia during those dark days when the hot water (and heat) were shut off from April to October. So I know about living in primitive conditions and getting by. Again, I am not fancy. 

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
Life now called LIFECELL have ever expanding network, quality retail outlets ,ability to buy scratchcards to top up,or at booths everywhere via a cc or cash.
Can buy SIM at airport and get help to set up ( if needed) .
Data is included in monthly cost ( pay as you go)  Calls unlimited within network.
I think about   UAH  70 ish a month -they send reminders when credit is low. Not sure of SIM coast-- but not much.
It is a simple system to use
I would pay UAH200/300 to start-chances are that will be more than enough ( unless you are using data to watch movies etc !!)

http://www.lifecell.ua/en/

Thank you JayH. I'll let you know how I make out.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:11:20 AM »

You have all the logistics set up?
4 weeks using a gym bag will clothes. May I say that is worse than a
Couchsurfer!!! Or is that what you are going for? )))

Google maps works great but need data to access your location. Using train or buses?
Curious why Nikolaev, not really area of other cities. Of course your entry point may matter.

I'll be a Airbnb guy. I am one right now. I have arraignments between two Airbnb hosts in my same building to  rent from during their off season. I get the benefit of a luxury apartment at low rate and they get full occupancy once the busy season ends. I'll probably just do an Airbnb in various cities. I am trying to get a feel for the place (Ukraine) while avoiding the more expensive cities. I heard Odessa is like Moscow and Saint Pete, a rather high cost place to live at. 

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »
I agree with Billy. You must see it. It has several sections. There is a very old Polish section with knights buried there. There is a section for the great Patriotic war, and there are some famous people buried there like Ivan Franko and a few others. We spent hours there. I posted some pic from there in my second TR to Lviv.

You make me want to see it. I probably will. Thank you.

Offline LAman

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »

I'll be a Airbnb guy. I am one right now. I have arraignments between two Airbnb hosts in my same building to  rent from during their off season. I get the benefit of a luxury apartment at low rate and they get full occupancy once the busy season ends. I'll probably just do an Airbnb in various cities. I am trying to get a feel for the place (Ukraine) while avoiding the more expensive cities. I heard Odessa is like Moscow and Saint Pete, a rather high cost place to live at.

Actually, Odessa is very inexpensive in winter months. My favorite is $30 a night and goes for $80-$90 in summer. Is in Airbnb.

Offline JayH

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:31:15 AM »

Actually, Odessa is very inexpensive in winter months. My favorite is $30 a night and goes for $80-$90 in summer. Is in Airbnb.

I have seen accommodation as low as $10 with breakfast !
Probably more a generation or 2 below Maxx ideally -- but - possible.
Not my thing -- but I was checking for someone else at the time ! The same group is in other major cities.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 04:29:35 AM »
...I have arraignments between two Airbnb hosts in my same building...

I'm sorry to hear that!  :o  Hopefully the charges are quite minor - like renting out a mattress without a licence!  :devil:

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that!  :o  Hopefully the charges are quite minor - like renting out a mattress without a licence!  >:D

I am not going to bite on that one!  ;)

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that!  :o  Hopefully the charges are quite minor - like renting out a mattress without a licence!  :devil:

:ROFL:

You ARE on form with the typos, today !

drsecu

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

Thanks

I used Kyiv Star in Kyiv to Lviv.  $4 a month for a mid range plan (data for social networking was unlimited).

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
Well, Maxx - you are 'quiet' ... did you run out of data ? ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2221
Total: 2232

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM