It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302410 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
It was smoked and looked like the bacon I bought in Batumi. I wanted the butcher or the guy behind the counter to cut it into slices but he just cut it into thick pieces. Having a difficult time communicating I thought, "Oh well. I'll just slice them to my desired thickness with the sharp knife I had at home.

Pretty difficult to slice bacon type thickness with any knife, regardless of sharpness.
And, the smaller the beginning piece, the less likely to obtain any satisfactory results.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
With American style bacon (pork loin) I prefer to cut it up in about one inch pieces. Than cook it. You can cook it throughly if you pay attention to the pan, and drain it of allot more fat in a bowl with paper towel. Some 'American' bacon is treated with sulfites.

Bacon in Eastern Europe tends to be cut thicker and be more lean. Again cook through and through. Enjoy pork, in small amounts.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2018, 11:28:20 PM »
Back (Canadian ?)bacon is my fav and I bought half a kilo on Saturday in a supposedly 'Muslim' nation for far less than in the UK ))

Cypriots have a Cyprus breakfast condisting of bacon, eggs, Lounza..a wine marianated sausage and Halloumi (Hellim) cheese.

Yummy

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #403 on: August 08, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »

The last two Ukrainian women I knew, liked to eat it raw. Bacon to them was like pickled fish to be put on crackers with a slice of cheese. I insisted for myself that it be cooked.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #404 on: August 08, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »
I just read about your last experience with the gal, maxx. Hopefully this momentary set back only means the 'right' one is still waiting for you.

;)
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #405 on: August 08, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »

The last two Ukrainian women I knew, liked to eat it raw. Bacon to them was like pickled fish to be put on crackers with a slice of cheese. I insisted for myself that it be cooked.

I had to convince Angel Eyes and Smiley girl that uncooked US bacon wasn't
safe like Russian raw bacon.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #406 on: August 08, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
I just read about your last experience with the gal, maxx. Hopefully this momentary set back only means the 'right' one is still waiting for you.

;)

3:56 AM, I think I'll answer this tomorrow. Have a bit of asommia (sp)

Offline Jumper

« Reply #407 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »

Salo.

Not my cup of tea.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #408 on: August 11, 2018, 11:46:09 PM »

Got pulled over by  the police yesterday.

I came to an intersection with a traffic light. It has a left turn signal that had just ended. So I pull up to the intersection with a green light, carefully watching the oncoming traffic to see if I can make a U-turn without causing anyone in the on coming lane to use their brakes to slow down. So being a courteous driver. One of the on coming cars was a police car. He put on this flashers as I made my U-turn in front of him. I put on my right hand turn signal and of course brake lights and pulled over to a safe spot. I reached for my wallet with my passport card, Wisconsin drivers license and my vehicle registration card that says I own the car. I gave the cop my cards which kind of confused him as that was not what he thought he would get. I said. "Yah American-nets" He looked at them for about 30 seconds and handed them back to me. I said with my limited Russian I didn't know this rule but now I know and I won't do it again. I thanked him and I think he understood me. I've had 3 encounters with the traffic police over this or that. All went well. I didn't get any tickets. So I am learning.

Georgia has very limited laws and is free of a lot of rules and restriction. The nicest rule is you can come without a visa and stay up to 360 days. To get another 360 days all you have to do is a border jump, get your passport stamped at custom control and you are good to go for another 360 days. This rules applies to Ukrainians as well as us Westerners.

One thing I've noticed about Georgia is the lack of STOP signs. They are usually only at the railroad tracks and they are the same sign they have in America. When approaching an interception with the cars having the right away you just have to use your common sense when entering it. So everyone drives defensively here. I see very few accidents. So although Georgian drivers are some of the worst drivers on this earth they are also some of the best. They are the worst because they violate your right away a lot. The other problem is double parking. Not uncommon for a car to pull out in front of you causing you to hit the break, then pull over and double park. So they can be real jerks that way.

The other thing I learned about the traffic rules is there is no right turn on a red light. You can't turn left at a light unless there is a signal and that people turn right on to a street and then make a U-turn to cross the street going in the desired direction.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
The other thing I learned about the traffic rules is there is no right turn on a red light.
Is that allowed in the US :o? Not here, and elsewhere in Europe where I had the opportunity to drive.
Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2018, 06:49:37 AM »
"Is that allowed in the US "

it's allowed, UNLESS there is a sign indicating otherwise, this is a "newish" thing, which came into effect after you left here
I was driving in Russia last week, based upon observing other drivers, it seems you can turn right, left, backup, ignore the stoplight completely
makes driving there a challenge, and "road rage" OMG!!!!

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Russia does allow right turns on a red light if the separate right turn light, a green arrow pointing right, is on AND there is no oncoming traffic going right. My experience for this is only greater Moscow so it might be different in other areas of the country.

Offline ML

« Reply #412 on: August 12, 2018, 10:31:54 AM »
Many know that there are different traffic rules in the various states of the USA.

For instance, in some states, when attempting to turn left at a traffic light, you must pull all the way into the intersection on the green light and wait for the oncoming traffic to clear.
In other states, you must wait at the stop line and not pull into the intersection with a green light until all incoming traffic has cleared..
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #413 on: August 12, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »
European roads primarily run on triangles, determining who must yield. The primary law was traffic from the right has right of way. This is designated by the 'yellow diamond'. There is more signage and attempts to make it clearer.

American roads use stop signs which means first car to the stop sign ~ first car to leave said intersection, unless there is traffic that does not need to stop. Oddly enough in cities such as New York there is a very much a live and let live attitude as opposed to say Kiev.

For what it is worth my brother who has been sent a number of times to driver reeducation 'Notes I observe all traffic regulations.'

Northern and Western European drivers tend to be more predictable than American and have a bit more common sense.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmob

« Reply #414 on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »
European roads primarily run on triangles, determining who must yield. The primary law was traffic from the right has right of way.

Driving in the UK / Ireland, Malta and Cyprus with this 'attitude' would have been interesting.....  :popcorn:

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #415 on: August 13, 2018, 03:12:06 AM »
Driving in the UK / Ireland, Malta and Cyprus with this 'attitude' would have been interesting.....  :popcorn:

I think you chaps are mostly leftists right?

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #416 on: August 13, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »
Maxx, Thank you for keeping this thread going with your observations.  :clapping:

Offline msmob

« Reply #417 on: August 13, 2018, 06:05:34 AM »

I think you chaps are mostly leftists right?

:ROFL: 

We might DRIVE on the left - but we sit to the right - where our steering wheels are located  .....   

We thought you guys were lefties ;)

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #418 on: August 13, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Many know that there are different traffic rules in the various states of the USA.

For instance, in some states, when attempting to turn left at a traffic light, you must pull all the way into the intersection on the green light and wait for the oncoming traffic to clear.
In other states, you must wait at the stop line and not pull into the intersection with a green light until all incoming traffic has cleared..

According to California's VC, a vehicle cannot cross the stop/pedestrian line to enter an intersection to make a left turn during a green light unless it is clear of opposing traffic. The reason for this is, an intersection is suppose to remain 'clear' in the event of an emergency vehicle having to pass through.

In the case of right turns on red lights, technically, a car cannot turn right during a red light, when: a pedestrian's foot touches any part of the pedestrian crosswalk, on an undivided highway (IINM), or when a sign exist that says 'no turn on red'. A divided highway carry different rules. You can turn right on red as long as the incoming vehicle is at least (IINM) 300' from the line and on the same lane you're turning unto.

But neither is hardly ever enforced (with the exception of the no turn on red). The amount of accidents in these intersections is what determines the majority of these sign placements.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:47:24 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:31 AM »

;)

I've felt and sort of feel internal pressure to find the right one before I get too old. I seem to remember GQ you were 39 years old when you began your endeavor to find Mrs Right? So perhaps you know how I feel/felt. I was 48 when I first started on my endeavor one year ahead of you. I celebrated my 50th B-day with Mrs Wrong 2 months after she got there (USA). She arrived on the 'Ides of March', not kidding. So I know those milestone years and how they make you reflect. 

I've hosted 2 women from Ukraine to Georgia. The first was for 20 days last September. The next one was for almost 6 weeks in June and July. Age difference, 22 and 20 years. The age difference wasn't much of an issue, or at all. Frankly I would have preferred they were 10 years older because you should take in account the inevitable "advance state of decrepitude" coming to us all unless your days get cut short by driving off a bridge or being hit by semi...

There are preferred ways to go...

Having spent more than a month in an old folks nursing home recovering from my accident (learning to walk again after being hot by a semi..) I know that is not how and where I want to end my days. I'm hoping to end my days with a wife and family by my side. Do you know here in Georgia they keep the deceased 3 days in the house in a refrigerated coffin? There is vigil day and night with lots family and friends hanging about. Then on the third day it is off to cemetery. The coffin is lifted up by several strong men. They circle the room clockwise three times. Then out the door and carried down the street with the lid off. I've seen it! Ashen grey face to the sky. All the men wearing suit jackets. No women in sight. They must come later. The graveyard is where the mourners feast, drink wine and offer toasts to the recently departed and all the other friends and relatives buried there. Wine is isn't the only thing drunk. I've been told "cha cha" (60%-80% alcohol) often leads to fights in the cemetery and at weddings.

NOT going to be me.

I'd elaborate more about nursing homes but I'll save that for my 2 year anniversary of my accident coming Friday. 

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man"
~ Leon Trotsky

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:17:33 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #420 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »

I've hosted 2 women from Ukraine to Georgia. The first was for 20 days last September. The next one was for almost 6 weeks in June and July. Age difference, 22 and 20 years. The age difference wasn't much of an issue, or at all. Frankly I would have preferred they were 10 years older because you should take in account the inevitable "advance state of decrepitude" coming to us all unless your days get cut short by driving off a bridge or being hit by semi...

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man"
~ Leon Trotsky

I completely forgot 'Grumpy Old Men" time marches with little regard to those around it.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #421 on: August 14, 2018, 07:45:19 AM »
I completely forgot 'Grumpy Old Men" time marches with little regard to those around it.

When was in Russia 15-17 years ago it was quite popular there. The two kids of the lady I was seeing, ages 11 and 12, watched it continually off my laptop computer. They thought this part was particularly hilarious.

It amazes me that those kids are near 30!

Offline msmob

« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
Thank you, Maxx

LOVE this film

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:18 AM »
i'm related to Walter Matthau on my father's side, he's NOT acting in this role, it really WAS his actual character!!!
he did't like kids very much!!!  or maybe it was just me

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »
Thank you, Maxx

LOVE this film

Max Goldman was the character from the film I chose my name from. I had to go with two 'x-s' as Max had already been chosen. This was 2002 at RW-G when I signed up. My first post was about how my wife in Saratov was a big fan of Nicole Kidman but for some reason didn't want to watch the Birthday Girl movie after reading description off the VHS box. Gee I wonder why?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:25:35 AM by Maxx2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1951
Total: 1962

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM