It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Advice needed for orphan refugees from Donetsk  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Strider

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Advice needed for orphan refugees from Donetsk
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:54 AM »
I hope this is the right heading for this.

I am presently in Kiev and met a 22 year old young lady and her 12 year old sister from Donetsk.  The elder sister advises me that they are orphaned 7 years ago and the have had a very difficult time of things in the past year.  Prices for many basic things have doubled since my last visit in January, i.e., bus and metro tickets, bottled water, etc.  It is all they can do to rent a room and not live on the street.  I have made many trips to Ukraine through the years and I believe that she is being completely honest with me.  The older sister advises me that her younger sister has a legal guardian in Donetsk who is a relative only by marriage or possibly only friendship with the family, and also an alcoholic.  I would think that at age 22 the older sister should be able to go to court and be named the legal guardian here in Kiev without the need to return to Donetsk due to present circumstances.  Can anyone please advise about a reliable lawyer or government agency to handle this problem?  Does the legal guardian also collect some social insurance money for the minor child?  Advice is appreciated about the problem.  Please withhold cautions about this being a possible scam.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:59:37 AM by Mod3 »
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Advice needed for orphan refugees from Dontesk
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
Are you saying that both parents of these sisters have died? Does the 22 year old have a job and support both of them? You would probably have a difficult time getting any kind of visa for the 12 year old.

Offline Strider

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
Wayne,

The 22 y.o. young lady has a job and is supporting both of them.  However, she is not the legal guardian of her sister.  That is the crux of the problem.  In the short term, I am helping the elder sister to get her passport and find work in Poland were she will earn a higher wage.  They are considering my advice to move to Lviv while waiting for the passport and visa to Poland.  Leaving the younger sister in Ukraine is a serious concern, especially without a legal guardian to manage her affairs in a country which is unstable in many ways.  There is also the issue of who, if anyone, is collecting any social insurance from the government which would be intended for the minor child.

[Edit to add:  Yes, by orphans, I meant to convey that both parents died 7 years ago.  They have no known blood relatives.]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:26:56 PM by Strider »

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
Are you sure she will be eligible for a visa in Poland? What is her education to find work?
Please understand that human traffickers often prey on Ukrainian women offering them a job in Poland. Once they cross the border, their passport is taken away and they land in prostitution. Be sure that the job she is presumed to get does exist and is with a legit employer.

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Strider

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »
I am very well connected with elite professionals in Poland.  My Polish lawyer sent me the following link from an IGO financed by the EU that some people from the former Soviet Republics can easily work in Poland:
Quote from: The International Organization for Migration
Citizens of Belarus, Moldova, the Russian Federation, Ukraine and the Republic of Armenia may take up employment without  obtaining a work permit for a period not exceeding 6 months within 12 consecutive months on the basis of a declaration of intention to entrust a job to a foreigner.
http://www.migrant.info.pl/o-iom-975.html
She says that she can make more money picking strawberries on a farm in Poland, then she makes at her present job in retail sales in a large mall in Kiev.  I am working on finding her something better if possible.  I will be sure to verify that wherever she goes, that the employment is legitimate and she is safe.  I feel like I am adopting two daughters now, and I am getting very protective of them.

Are you sure she will be eligible for a visa in Poland? What is her education to find work?
Please understand that human traffickers often prey on Ukrainian women offering them a job in Poland. Once they cross the border, their passport is taken away and they land in prostitution. Be sure that the job she is presumed to get does exist and is with a legit employer.

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
I am very well connected with elite professionals in Poland.  My Polish lawyer sent me the following link from an IGO financed by the EU that some people from the former Soviet Republics can easily work in Poland:http://www.migrant.info.pl/o-iom-975.html
She says that she can make more money picking strawberries on a farm in Poland, then she makes at her present job in retail sales in a large mall in Kiev.  I am working on finding her something better if possible.  I will be sure to verify that wherever she goes, that the employment is legitimate and she is safe.  I feel like I am adopting two daughters now, and I am getting very protective of them.
Indeed they can obtain a permit for temporary work. However that is just seasonal and time limited, which means it will not be a permanent sitution that allows them to permanently move. Besides that, the human traffickers use exactly those kind of offers to get people in to their power.
To obtain a permanent job that allows residency is going to be a lot harder, as she would need to have learned skills that there is a shortage of. As the crisis hasleft many in the EU without a job, immigration laws are not at all lenient or easy.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Advice needed for orphan refugees from Donetsk
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
What the hell is Dontesk?  Doesn't anyone bother to use spellcheck for something as important as the title?

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »

Bingo.  Let's hope it's not the usual scam.  Let's hope she's picking strawberries, and not getting her own strawberry picked.

Offline Rick4G

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Advice needed for orphan refugees from Donetsk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Strider,  If you need help with documents for internally displaced people from ATO zone PM me.  we have had good success in getting documents
for children displaced and without documents.  we just got 2 sisters their passports last month and I also have name of good attorney to resolve legal issues with this "guardian".  And yes, likely this "guardian" is receiving money or the child

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1888
Total: 1899

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM