It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Getting cheapest airline tickets  (Read 19007 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Getting cheapest airline tickets
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
:D
1/ They aren't always - rarely, even -the cheapest
2/ The war 'next door' is further from Istanbul than Kyiv / Moscow are from Donbas - Turkey is a big country

1. You're right but for some reason when I priced my tickets for Seattle to Kiev, the flight with a layover in Istanbul was $200 cheaper than everyone else with layovers in Europe. Usually one airline may beat another by a few dozen dollars but not hundreds.

2. Most people don't know anything about distances. All they know is that there is a war next door to Turkey.

Russia also placed its best anti aircraft missile system in Syria. Makes the Buk system look like a joke. The s-400 is designed to bring down NATO's finest jets.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »

1. You're right but for some reason when I priced my tickets for Seattle to Kiev, the flight with a layover in Istanbul was $200 cheaper than everyone else with layovers in Europe. Usually one airline may beat another by a few dozen dollars but not hundreds.

2. Most people don't know anything about distances. All they know is that there is a war next door to Turkey.

Russia also placed its best anti aircraft missile system in Syria. Makes the Buk system look like a joke. The s-400 is designed to bring down NATO's finest jets.
[/quote]

Well, now you know it's a big country and Istanbul is miles from the S-400's in Syria...If flying to Kyiv - you'll be in range of the  Crimea SAMs..Do you think the Kremlin would take out a NATO nation civilian airliner....

It's very kind of the Russians to place S-400's within constant monitoring range of Turkish and UK bases in Cyprus

I've recently flown Turkish, Aeroflot and Finnair on long haul flights  .... Turkish do the best food and even economy gets proper knives and forks

:D

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

You THINK it is cheaper???? Will add in the $35-$40 visa each time you stay(2 times for 2 overnights) plus the haggling at airport to find taxi( you PAY their rate) ~ another $30-$40, most drivers(first 8 or 9 had no idea where my hotel was( it was in the harbor close by)then spend another hour in traffic just trying to get OUT of airport before eventually settling into your hotel.... hoping something is open in your area because you are starving, hopefully getting a good sleep, repacking some things in the morning, get a taxi ordered (another $30) to get you back to airport for your continued travel to your destination. On the positive side, the trip to airport was nothing like getting OUT of airport. Is that worth a few hundred bucks??? Please, no overnighters!!!

BTW- Turkish airlines every once in a while cuts their prices, just like any airline will.
It is a good flight from LAX to Ukraine
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline alex330

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Turkish Air was always a good airline for me and at least several hundred bucks cheaper when I flew out to Ukraine.

Agree with LAman not worth it if you need to overnight. Traffic in Istanbul is outrageous and good hotels a bit pricey. A good destination to meet your other half in the middle though.

I was detained in Istanbul and thoroughly questioned one trip. There had just been an international incident with some sort of naval blockade and they were not very happy with us at the time. They asked me a bunch of stupid questions and finally let me go.

Offline BC

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 01:50:02 AM »
You THINK it is cheaper???? Will add in the $35-$40 visa each time you stay(2 times for 2 overnights) plus the haggling at airport to find taxi( you PAY their rate) ~ another $30-$40, most drivers(first 8 or 9 had no idea where my hotel was( it was in the harbor close by)then spend another hour in traffic just trying to get OUT of airport before eventually settling into your hotel.... hoping something is open in your area because you are starving, hopefully getting a good sleep, repacking some things in the morning, get a taxi ordered (another $30) to get you back to airport for your continued travel to your destination. On the positive side, the trip to airport was nothing like getting OUT of airport. Is that worth a few hundred bucks??? Please, no overnighters!!!

BTW- Turkish airlines every once in a while cuts their prices, just like any airline will.
It is a good flight from LAX to Ukraine

The cost for multi entry 90 days is 20 bucks for USC's and you can get one online.  http://www.evisa.gov.tr  very easy and quick.  Hotels aren't that expensive and it's great to have a nice break after a long flight and arrive at your final destination rested and fresh.  On my last trip taxi ride was fun and took 20-25 minutes each way.  Hotel shuttles are also available at some, and if you arrive late in the day there are decent hotels near the airport. http://www.holidayinn.com/ for example.

I personally like the overnight, get to go to the markets and buy some gifts n goodies to take along/back, have a nice dinner and maybe see some sights, I usually stay in the Sultanahmet or Grand Bazaar areas. Most Restaurants are open quite late and the selection is vast.  I use hotels.com, tripadvisor.com etc to plan things out.

I do like that each passenger gets two checked bags, offsetting extra bag charges by other airlines (offsets the cost of the hotels mostly) and they are checked through to destination so you don't have to pick them up in Istanbul.  Necessities and clothes change in your carryon.

Of course, nothing prevents you to just book the flight to Istanbul direct, then use another airline for the final leg to your destination.  Prices are usually less than 150bucks round trip to moscow and destinations to any of the three moscow airports and kiev.

Turkish airlines is cheapest now because the increased chance for terrorism in the area, and a war next door that includes Russian but Russia won't shoot down a civilian airliner, right? BC is right. I'm giving up my freedom. Who wants it?

I'll take it.  Prices have been quite stable over the years I have traveled and the planes have always been filled to pretty near capacity, plenty of USC's aboard.

btw, airlines are avoiding the troubled areas in east Ukraine. source http://www.flightradar24.com/

Offline BillyB

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 02:30:18 AM »
Well, now you know it's a big country and Istanbul is miles from the S-400's in Syria...If flying to Kyiv - you'll be in range of the  Crimea SAMs

Most people don't understand the distance from Istanbul to Syria's borders or know the range of the S-400 which is 400km/250 miles but they do know there is a war next door. Look at BC's map. After one civilian airliner was a casualty of war, nobody flies through there anymore. Just the thought of getting shot down is scaring some people from flying through Turkey. Egypt too.

Do you think the Kremlin would take out a NATO nation civilian airliner....

No guarantees that will happen but accidents happen, at least to Malaysian airliners.

Overnighters are out of the question for me. My wife will kill me if a layover is more than 2 hours.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:20 AM »
Overnighters are out of the question for me. My wife will kill me if a layover is more than 2 hours.

Have you or your wife ever visited Istanbul?

Offline BC

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »

Most people don't understand the distance from Istanbul to Syria's borders or know the range of the S-400 which is 400km/250 miles but they do know there is a war next door. Look at BC's map. After one civilian airliner was a casualty of war, nobody flies through there anymore. Just the thought of getting shot down is scaring some people from flying through Turkey. Egypt too.

As far as I can see the distance from Istnabul to the Syrian border is at least 1000 km or approx 600 miles.

Stop twisting words to your agenda.. Only a suggestion.  I'm sure the rest of us can figure it out and not give up our liberty.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
Just checked airline websites for Lufthansa and Turkish for hypothetical round trip flight LAX-KBP, dept date 20 Feb, return date 12 Mar. TK was about $30 cheaper, but outbound was 29+ hours, requiring overnight stay vs. LH 18+ hours, no overnight stay. TK return flight also required overnight stay vs. LH direct (via MUC), with no overnight layover. No comparison in convenience for a lousy $30 fare differential.

Offline BC

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Just checked airline websites for Lufthansa and Turkish for hypothetical round trip flight LAX-KBP, dept date 20 Feb, return date 12 Mar. TK was about $30 cheaper, but outbound was 29+ hours, requiring overnight stay vs. LH 18+ hours, no overnight stay. TK return flight also required overnight stay vs. LH direct (via MUC), with no overnight layover. No comparison in convenience for a lousy $30 fare differential.

What was the origin/destination along with dates?  In any case I like to visit Turkey from time to time so a few bucks here or there bez problem!  Ahh... see you did provide the info.. checking

Offline cc3

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
What was the origin/destination along with dates?  In any case I like to visit Turkey from time to time so a few bucks here or there bez problem!  Ahh... see you did provide the info.. checking

Did I not write LAX-KBP, 20 Feb to 12 Mar? Or am I just imagining that I did?

Offline BC

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
Did I not write LAX-KBP, 20 Feb to 12 Mar? Or am I just imagining that I did?

Indeed you did, my oversight :) just thinking ahead. 

Yeah if your goal is to get there as quick as possible without an overnight lufthansa is a great connection and price.. did I read about 900 bucks or so correctly?

After 11+ hours I'd arrive at MUC destroyed... even with a short layover and another couple hours simply trashed out...  Never have found a way to get a decent sleep on planes except for the few times I flew first and had somewhat of a bed and still arrived 'stinky' since there were no showers on the plane.  That's a killer flight you planned :)

There may well be showers at MUC though...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:11:42 AM by BC »

Offline cc3

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
Actually, I go by way of MUC to my home in Lviv. Usually, I plan to spend the night at a hotel in the MUC airport area in order to arrive in Lviv refreshed the next day.

Offline BC

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
Actually, I go by way of MUC to my home in Lviv. Usually, I plan to spend the night at a hotel in the MUC airport area in order to arrive in Lviv refreshed the next day.

Yeah MUC overnight is quite ok.  I'm reckoning airport hotel around a hundred bucks a night there?  Carry or would like to carry a bunch of luggage? LOL 

Offline cc3

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express; price varies between 59 to 90 Euros, depending on the season. There are cheaper hotels to be found on sites like Booking.com.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
Have you or your wife ever visited Istanbul?

Nope but if we do, it's not going to be for just one night.

As far as I can see the distance from Istnabul to the Syrian border is at least 1000 km or approx 600 miles.

Stop twisting words to your agenda.. Only a suggestion.  I'm sure the rest of us can figure it out and not give up our liberty.

Go find a map of flyovers of Syria like you did Ukraine. Only an idiot would think the flight patterns and number of flights through Turkey isn't affected.

Offline BC

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »

Nope but if we do, it's not going to be for just one night.

Go find a map of flyovers of Syria like you did Ukraine. Only an idiot would think the flight patterns and number of flights through Turkey isn't affected.

That great.. let me know in advance, would like to maybe meet you there if it's convenient.

Flights to/from Turkey and within are quite normal for this time of day, believe it or not practically unaffected.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
That great.. let me know in advance, would like to maybe meet you there if it's convenient.

Flights to/from Turkey and within are quite normal for this time of day, believe it or not practically unaffected.

I see a lot of dead space in Syria and next to Turkey but if you're going to "claim" what we're seeing is "normal" for this time of day, post a before(Syrian war) and after pic otherwise it's just your opinion because you really don't know what the fukc a normal flight pattern is in Turkey or any country.

I've priced out apartments in Kiev and they are half price of the last time I was there. It doesn't matter what your personal feelings are pertaining to travelling near or to areas of conflicts, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand when conflict happens, it affects a significant amount of people when making their travel choices to put a dent into tourism in and near those areas of conflict. Anyway I said numerous times on the forum I'm flying to Ukraine soon. Since you think I'm the kind of guy that gives up my liberty avoiding areas of conflict, tell me how you come to that conclusion.

Offline alex330

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
If flying into certain cities of Ukraine (Odessa in my case) Turkish air is always the cheapest and quickest route.

March 12 via Turkish air is $858 rt with a 3 hour layover.

Austrian is $1107 and Lufthansa even higher with an additional stop.

Offline BC

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »

I see a lot of dead space in Syria and next to Turkey but if you're going to "claim" what we're seeing is "normal" for this time of day, post a before(Syrian war) and after pic otherwise it's just your opinion because you really don't know what the fukc a normal flight pattern is in Turkey or any country.

I've priced out apartments in Kiev and they are half price of the last time I was there. It doesn't matter what your personal feelings are pertaining to travelling near or to areas of conflicts, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand when conflict happens, it affects a significant amount of people when making their travel choices to put a dent into tourism in and near those areas of conflict. Anyway I said numerous times on the forum I'm flying to Ukraine soon. Since you think I'm the kind of guy that gives up my liberty avoiding areas of conflict, tell me how you come to that conclusion.

Offline BC

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:38 AM »
Billy,

I have given you the source http://www.flightradar24.com you can follow up yourself 24 hours per day if you wish. Turkish airlines is something you want to avoid, fine.. it's your choice.
As to giving up freedom, review your own posts.  an easy task :)

Offline Shadow

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »

You fly to a country in civil war, yet try to avoid war zones.  :cluebat:
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BC

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »

Billy, you don't seem to understand at all...  Have you been to the Turkish / Syrian border?.. I have, even close enough to see the cars driving across.. but oh well.. you are you and I am who I am.. obviously worlds apart even though we both carry the same passport.

Cheers! :)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »
Billy,

I have given you the source http://www.flightradar24.com you can follow up yourself 24 hours per day if you wish. Turkish airlines is something you want to avoid, fine.. it's your choice.
As to giving up freedom, review your own posts.  an easy task :)

Translation: "I don't have the before and after pics so my previous statement saying flights though Turkey are normal is simply my opinion."   That is what you should've written than what I just quoted.

You fly to a country in civil war, yet try to avoid war zones.  :cluebat:

CHALLENGE for you Shadow. Where did I say I'm avoiding war zones in this thread? Quote me, don't quote BC because I think you're drinking his coolaid. You guys are adding more drama to this thread than necessary.

Offline BC

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »

Translation: "I don't have the before and after pics so my previous statement saying flights though Turkey are normal is simply my opinion."   That is what you should've written than what I just quoted

Billy,

I offer you a basket of straws.  Just give me your address and I will be happy to send them for you to grap.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1815
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1805
Total: 1815

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM