It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 301762 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
25% sounds excessive. I wonder if part of that tax is an import and customs tax since the Mercedes was used and came from America? The buyer of the car pays for it and not the dealer? Would the tax be less if you bought a car off a fellow citizen, not a dealer who imports used cars?

I thought that also. The buyer has to pay and even though technically it is an import tax it is paid anytime a car is transferred over. The government here is taxing the hell out of right hand drive cars to keep them from being imported. Try passing a truck on a curvy mountain road and you'll see why.   

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
Quote from: BillyB on Today at 09:48:43 AM
    25% sounds excessive. I wonder if part of that tax is an import and customs tax since the Mercedes was used and came from America? The buyer of the car pays for it and not the dealer? Would the tax be less if you bought a car off a fellow citizen, not a dealer who imports used cars?

I thought that also. The buyer has to pay and even though technically it is an import tax it is paid anytime a car is transferred over. The government here is taxing the hell out of right hand drive cars to keep them from being imported. Try passing a truck on a curvy mountain road and you'll see why.

I assume the vehicle comes from the UK. Most likely only a 25 year old vehicle will drop into a lower percentage. And I have driven multiple times a left hand vehicle in England. One time speaking to my boss in The Netherlands he paused and asked why I was speaking English. My reply was 'it keeps me on the wrong side of the road.' Going around narrow and twisting roads was a challenge and at times outright scary.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:05:11 AM by BdHvA »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline alex330

« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
25% sounds excessive.

Pretty normal overseas. Most places I have lived in Latin America it is 30% on imported vehicles.

Edit - just read it was for title, does seem high....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:04:24 AM by alex330 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »

I have driven multiple times a left hand vehicle in England. One time speaking to my boss in The Netherlands he paused and asked why I was speaking English. My reply was 'it keeps me on the wrong side of the road.' Going around narrow and twisting roads was a challenge and at times outright scary.

:D

I find when driving on the 'wrong side of the road' - as most countries do ... that I am most dangerous as I drive off - after a stopping for a break or when I get back home ....  ;)

Having the wheel on the right side ( right in more ways than the location !) is helpful in traffic jams - one can see ahead and really annoys cyclists and motor bikes - who try to pass up the inside ;)

I am in Cyprus and was spared the excesses of the Royal Wedding - but noted the newly married couple left in an a Jag E-Type convertible - LHD ? 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:07:59 PM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »

I find when driving on the 'wrong side of the road' - as most countries do ... that I am most dangerous as I drive off - after a stopping for a break or when I get back home ....  ;)

Having the wheel on the right side ( right in more ways than the location !) is helpful in traffic jams - one can see ahead and really annoys cyclists and motor bikes - who try to pass up the inside ;)

I am in Cyprus and was spared the excesses of the Royal Wedding - but noted the newly married couple left in an a Jag E-Type convertible - LHD ?

I just noticed that a few minutes ago.

Offline deccie

« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2018, 11:27:06 PM »
. One of things we are going to do together, besides the usual tourist stuff, is check out the cost buying an apartment. We're hoping we'll hit it off.

This may be just me but I probably would not involve a prospective girlfriend in the apartment  buying process until at lease in a confirmed/commited relationship.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2018, 12:00:10 AM »

The Jag is a custom made electric version of the classic. Only costs £350,000. Every environmentally conscious person should own at least one.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6332223/prince-harry-car-meghan-markle-royal-wedding-reception-frogmore-house/
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/05/19/harry-and-meghans-blue-jaguar-is-500000-green-machine.html

Offline alex330

« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2018, 12:12:00 AM »
The Jag is a custom made electric version of the classic. Only costs £350,000. Every environmentally conscious person should own at least one.

It depends on what fuel is used to generate the electricity. In the UK the emissions (manufacturing + electric footprint) from electric vehicles is almost 4 times that of gas vehicles, so not such a green option.

Offline msmob

« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2018, 12:43:22 AM »
Thanks for the info guys... Much as I like weddings - I have tried to avoid the hype around this one - being thousands of km away in a remote mountain location and not turning on a VPN to get UK 'news' ;)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
I bought a Mercedes ML 350 almost a year ago. The transaction was at a license bureau by a large car lot outside the Eastern side of Tbilisi. Cars are imported from all over the world to this place and people from many countries come there to buy them.

I had a ML 320 and put 275,000 miles on it before it started having
costly problems and hail storms  destroyed the body on it so I sold
it to a kid for $20.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
I had a ML 320 and put 275,000 miles on it before it started having
costly problems and hail storms  destroyed the body on it so I sold
it to a kid for $20.

If you had cost of repairs and maintenance of Georgia you would still have that car. I figured the average cost of auto repair here in Georgia is $15 an hour. That is big money here. Many people here work for about a dollar an hour. When I leave a 2 Lari tip (80 cents) at the restaurant I get big smiles and lots of 'modlobas' 

Offline deccie

« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »

It depends on what fuel is used to generate the electricity. In the UK the emissions (manufacturing + electric footprint) from electric vehicles is almost 4 times that of gas vehicles, so not such a green option.
What is the source of most UK power now? Aren't they nuclear? Surely can't be coal fired  given most of the pits are closed.

Offline alex330

« Reply #337 on: May 20, 2018, 08:55:15 PM »
What is the source of most UK power now? Aren't they nuclear? Surely can't be coal fired  given most of the pits are closed.

It's a blend. Here is an infographic. It is 3-4 yrs old so maybe has improved a bit, but pretty sure it is still not "green".

Many times going "green" is not always the best route. Like in Costa Rica we have clean hydro power. 100% fossil fuel free. But the valleys they flooded wrecked an entire ecosystem and possibly took out species we had not yet discovered.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »

My mother bought a used Mercedes 600 SEL. The car is over $100,000 brand new but she bought if for $15K. Had under 50,000 miles on it. After a few years of owning it, she's paid over $10,000 in repair bills. It would be more if I didn't help her fix it with free labor sometimes. Every few months the car has a problem and parts are expensive.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
My mother bought a used Mercedes 600 SEL. The car is over $100,000 brand new but she bought if for $15K. Had under 50,000 miles on it. After a few years of owning it, she's paid over $10,000 in repair bills. It would be more if I didn't help her fix it with free labor sometimes. Every few months the car has a problem and parts are expensive.

There are Mercedes everywhere here. The average Georgia makes about $350 a month and of course half the population makes less than that. If cars and cost of repair was expensive then there wouldn't be so many of them here. I was told a replacement engine for my 3.5 liter V6 would be about $125.

Offline msmob

« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »

Nooooo..   Nuclear made up 21 percent in 2001  ..Coal was just 7 percent ..

Gas 40 percent  (( 

It's a blend. Here is an infographic. It is 3-4 yrs old so maybe has improved a bit, but pretty sure it is still not "green".

VERY out of date, UK wise..

http://www.ft.com/content/437c4e8a-efc0-11e7-ac08-07c3086a2625

"Most of Britain’s electricity in 2017 is low-carbon for first time"

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »
I was thinking of Deccie's situation and life in general in Russia. Here is how it is like in Georgia.

According to the study of financial corporation Doing Business, Georgia ranks 8th in Ease of Doing Business. It greatly contributes to investment opportunities and rapid economic growth of the country. The following factors are of huge importance:

No Property Taxes
Fast and Safe property registration system
Electronic taxation system and no corruption
Legalized gambling (unlike other countries in the region)
VISA FREE regime with 94 countries

All above mentioned advantages facilitate business relationships with Georgia and significantly increase tourist flow. Strategic location of Batumi, well developed modern infrastructure and healthy business environment provide perfect conditions for ideal fusion of holidays and business activities and contribute to profitable investments.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »
Lady Larisa is on her way.

She is pretty excited about coming here. Her flight from Kiev (not Boryspil the other one Z something) leaves at 4:30 PM and arrives to Batumi at 8 PM. 2 1/2 hour flight, a narrow body Boeing of some type.

Offline msmob

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2018, 02:50:57 AM »
Maxx,

I KNOW you are excited and I hope you both have a great time .... happy landings ;)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2018, 03:45:09 AM »
I got to my new apartment. It's nice and big. Older building though. No fancy entrance but it has a nice view of the Sea and the water park where the dancing fountains are. On the 19th floor. I got to go out and buy some things stock the fridge. High on the list is Georgian wine and cognac, suligumi cheese, caviar and sushi. Larisa is typical of most FSU women, she is partial to seafood and fish.   

Offline Jumper

« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
Lady Larisa is on her way.

She is pretty excited about coming here. Her flight from Kiev (not Boryspil the other one Z something) leaves at 4:30 PM and arrives to Batumi at 8 PM. 2 1/2 hour flight, a narrow body Boeing of some type.

Very cool Maxx.Hope you both have a good visit.

I've flown out of the city airport, just walk out on the tarmac to board,  the ticket station was far more similar to a bus stop than airport, but that was long ago.
one time the flight was on an old 40's vintage yak? Twin prop.
Scariest take off/landing of my life lol!

And I enjoy flying :)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »
She should have gotten here an hour ago. Flight delay. They needed to get a jet from Odessa. Supposed to take off at 14:30. Now delayed till 22:40. Larisa says everyone is drinking whiskey. She's worried she'll have to stay all night at the airport.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

I've flown out of the city airport, just walk out on the tarmac to board,  the ticket station was far more similar to a bus stop than airport, but that was long ago.

It is still like that here in Batumi. I'd post some photos but cubeupload is not allowing me to log in.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
She's turning off her phone before it completely discharged. The charger is in the checked luggage. She says she will turn it back at 22:00 to check or send a message.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
After about 8 hour delay she is boarding the aircraft. A 2 1/2 flight and an arrival about 4 AM and she will be here, finally. "I'm on the plane! !!" she just texted me. She is definitely happy. Batumi is really beautiful at night. Very lite up.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958
Most Online Ever: 12701