It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Newly Joining the Married Club: Steve and T  (Read 25407 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Newly Joining the Married Club: Steve and T
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
Welcome to Ukraine.  It only took you what . . . 5 wrong offices?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 05:14:46 AM »
Yes, 2 wrong gov offices and 3 wrong legal services.

The first 2 days we stayed at a hotel south of the city.  A place called Park Hotel Holosievo.  The building exterior is designed like a huge 5 story english tudor mansion, and it's in Holosiivskyi Park, in the shade of numerous trees which cooled the place down in the heat.  The place was a bit pricier than most, but had great service and a full service spa (which we didn't get a chance to use).  The had a restaurant called the Beer Garden.  The garden in the name fit but not the beer part:  they only had a selection of 5 beers.

For Sat and Sun night we stayed at an Airbnb apartment near the Rada building, a few blocks east of Maidan Square.  The apt was huge.  It was on the top floor of a 4 story building and had a built-out attic as a second level.  The main level was about 100 sq meters, and the second floor was about 80 (lost space due to the sloping roof).  The bathroom was huge, with a waterfall shower and a 2-3 person jacuzzi bathtub.  The kitchen had light blue cabinetry with off-white porcelain and brass fixtures.  Upstairs the space was an open studio layout with a full size bed, workdesk and second bathroom with just a shower but with a washer and dryer.  There were 4 AC units - kitchen, living room, bedroom, and upstairs.  T loved it and mentioned over and over that she wants a place just like it.  It was the best Airbnb place we have ever stayed.

Next post:  Cooking duty and Kiss Concert.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
On Saturday we moved from the hotel to the Airbnb apartment, and waited for our friends from Kharkiv - Vladimir and Julia.  I wanted to have dinner out with them when they arrived, but T wanted to cook.  Specifically, she wanted me to cook, with Vlad's help.  She and Julia wanted me to teach Vlad how to prepare and cook korean bbq short ribs.  Last winter, when we visited them for dinner, Vlad cooked while the girls kicked back with drinks.

I pleaded my case, being still a bit jetlagged and tired from the heat.  But I was outvoted. ((

Our friends arrived an hour later than expected.  They walked from the nearest metro station and took their time in the heat, stopping for ice cream and cold drinks.  The first order of business - snacks and shots of tequila and bourbon.  They brought the tequila, I brought Woodford Reserve (from duty free at Boston logan airport).  A couple hours later we headed out to get groceries, and a replacement wedding band for me (I lost mine last month somewhere between Maine and New Hampshire).

We stopped at Zolotyi Vik on Khreshatyk street and got one for about $150.  A similar ring in the states was $220-$250.  Now I looked married again.))

We walked to silpo supermarket in the Gulliver shopping center and bought about $100 in groceries, including beer and wine.  The meat department was closing when we arrived, and half the display case was empty.  I picked up a sirloin steak and several short ribs.  The short ribs were odd.  For korean bbq, you need thin (0.5 cm) cross-cut portions across 3 or 4 bones, or a chunky single bone cut of about 7 cm (3 inches).  The only choice available was 3 bone cross cuts that were 2 cm thick. 

We took an Uber back to the apartment, because from silpo the path was uphill and a bit arduous.  The girls started preparing dinner, to my surprise.  I thought they were going to make me and Vlad cook.  I showed Vlad how to prepare the marinade and he and I cleaned and cut up the beef as best we could.  It requires several hours to marinade properly so we decided to save it for lunch on Sunday. 

The girls made a warm vegetable salad with toasted bread.  Sort of a build your own bruchetta.  I pan fried the sirloin steak and sliced it in strips like beef fajitas.  There was also some dried fish to have with beer, which I avoided (the fish - I had the beer).  Later on we switched to bourbon and tequila again, and went to bed around 2 AM.

Sunday morning Vlad and I were on cooking duty.  Vlad made seafood omelet with shrimp and crawfish.  I made french toast and cooked up some simple cinnamon caramel glaze to substitute for maple syrup.  I also fried up some ham and prosciutto (the store didn't have bacon).  The girls made coffee and tea.   :D

I was still drunk from last night, so after breakfast I went to the couch and passed out.  When I awoke T was in bed browsing facebook.  Vlad and Julia were out shopping - they wanted clothes from H&M. 

They returned in late afternoon.  T and I prepared dinner:  T heated up leftovers and prepared a salad and cold cuts and cheese.  I cooked the korean bbq beef using the broiler function of the oven, after several tries trying to figure out how to set it to broil.  We ate and drank some more, with me sticking to beer and water while they finished off the tequila.

Next - the concert.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
After dinner we separated to prepare to head to the KISS concert.  I am a bit jealous how women can transform themselves through makeup and styling.  They went from pretty to hot in a matter of moments.

T had a KISS tshirt to wear, that Julia and Vladimir brought as a present.  The rest of us wore hard rock tshirts and jeans, with Vlad wearing knee length jean shorts.

It was a beautiful day, warm but not as hot as the previous days. We headed out at 7, which was the concert starting time.  I didn't notice any other bands listed, so I assume the start time equated to gate opening time and perhaps some DJ or taped music before the band started.

I was right.  We got to the stadium at 7:30 or so, and there was no one on stage except for the support staff (gaffers? grips?).  Canned music was playing in the stadium - a variety of rock bands. 

The place wasn't crowded - perhaps 1/2 the usuable seats in the lower bowl was filled, with about a 1/4 of the upper seats.  The 3 sections of the field were 1/4 full.  We had golden fan club tickets, which were the second best field section.  I think I would have preferred seated tickets, because we stood around for 90 minutes for the concert to start.  I believe our tickets were about $70 each.  Not cheap, but definitely less than comparable tickets in the states.

One awesome thing was the price of beer at the stadium.  Each field section had beer and drinks kiosks set up.  Beer was $2 (50 UAH), water was a little over $1 (30 UAH).   Last time I went to a Red Sox game beer was $8.50 for 12 ounces, for budweizer products.  Sam Adams was considerably more.

At a little after 9PM the concert started.  I tell you what, for a bunch of old guys they put on a fantastic show.  I am not a KISS fan but I loved the concert.  At one point the lead singer said he would go out to play in the crowd, but only if invited by the fans calling out his name.  T and I looked at each other and asked "What's his name?"  We googled it - Paul.

There were a lot of fireworks and flames.  We were about 50 feet away, but could still feel the heat from the flame jets.  Whoever choreographed the concert was bang on. 

I uploaded 2 videos to youtube, hope the links work:

Second to last song:

Finale:

Offline BillyB

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
At a little after 9PM the concert started.  I tell you what, for a bunch of old guys they put on a fantastic show.  I am not a KISS fan but I loved the concert.  At one point the lead singer said he would go out to play in the crowd, but only if invited by the fans calling out his name.  T and I looked at each other and asked "What's his name?"  We googled it - Paul.

Paul Stanley is the lead singer for Kiss on most of their songs. Unfortunately his voice isn't as strong as it used to be and they're using canned music in their concerts because of it.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Voice was live.  Too much variation to be canned, unless they are grand masters of lip syncing.  I thought the guitar and bass was pre-recorded at times, but some solos made me rethink that.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »
Voice was live.  Too much variation to be canned, unless they are grand masters of lip syncing.  I thought the guitar and bass was pre-recorded at times, but some solos made me rethink that.

Some guy took 4 videos of their live 2019 concert from 4 different cities and played it at the same time in a YouTube video. Vocals, beat and sound identical. It's canned. The band members are near 70 and they aren't the performers they once were. It's understandable they are using canned music to help out but die hard Kiss fans are hard on them because in their younger days, they ripped on bands that used canned music in their live tours and said they'd never do it. If they didn't do it, there would be no concert to see this year. Paul Stanley's vocal cords are shot.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:56 AM »
We’ve seen so many of these geriatric rock icons, and performing along with pre-recorded tracks is more normal than not. Doobie Brothers, Ozzy, ZZ Top, Axl Rose et al, they all do it. KISS is not an exception. Heck, even the Eagles do it. We did see Foreigners Unplugged with SoCal local boy Kelly on vocals in Thousand Oaks recently, while he did sounded superb, there was still sampling/dubbing/tracking. Not exactly one thinks of full blown lip syncing. Same with Gin Blossoms at the Canyon. Steven Tyler does and will do the same thing. Yes, expect Mr Jagger to do the same. Elton John did so recently at the Staples.

It’s the ‘SHOW’ people go to see. Just relax and enjoy it.

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:28 AM »
Yes, expect Mr Jagger to do the same.

Maybe.  Six weeks after heart valve replacement surgery, and he is still going......

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »

Elton John did so recently at the Staples.

It’s the ‘SHOW’ people go to see. Just relax and enjoy it.

Funny you say that.

I recently found out Elton John was touring.  I checked if he's playing in Boston - yes he is, on Nov 15.  Seats are sold out, but ticketmaster now does resale?  There's a pair of front row seats on resale for $7950.

Elton had to adjust his schedule for Feb show dates in New Zealand.  To compensate, he added a new date in Auckland.  It is cheaper to get VIP package with seats in the first 5 rows, plus RT business class airfare, than those front row tickets in Boston.

Mental.

Anywho....I got a pair of the NZ tickets.  I purchased the 2nd tier VIP package, which guaranteed tickets in the first 10 rows - I got seats 8 and 9 in the 6th row.  On Feb 16.

We'll sort out our flight and other details later.))  Probably not business class, but perhaps premiere economy.

Offline ML

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
I cannot even come close to comprehending this.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
I recently found out Elton John was touring.  I checked if he's playing in Boston - yes he is, on Nov 15.  Seats are sold out, but ticketmaster now does resale?  There's a pair of front row seats on resale for $7950.

Always somebody that can't go to concerts last minute and put up their tickets on Craigslist or similar sites. Careful of scammers though. If you buy a ticket from an individual and they don't want to meet you at their house, you may want to ask for a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase such as a credit card statement they bought if from a legit site like ticketmaster.

Offline Gator

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »

Anywho....I got a pair of the NZ tickets.  I purchased the 2nd tier VIP package, which guaranteed tickets in the first 10 rows - I got seats 8 and 9 in the 6th row.  On Feb 16.

We'll sort out our flight and other details later.))  Probably not business class, but perhaps premiere economy.

You are a true fan.  Enjoy your trip.  NZ is beautiful, so do some sightseeing.  Out of curiosity,  how many hours of flying time. 

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
I cannot even come close to comprehending this.

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Elton John if there was free beer

Offline ML

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »
I wouldn't walk across the street to see Elton John if there was free beer

Same here.

And to go further, there is not an entertainer of any type anywhere in the world that I would do for as the OP is doing re Elton.

To go even further, probably only two persons in the entire world I would do something like that for.

Lost in all the talk of income inequality are the entertainers and athletes.
It is the stupid public that allows such ridiculousness to happen and exist.
I have never ever purchased any item with the name of someone attached to it.

Offline Gator

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »
FP and ML,

You seem judgmental about personal decisions in spending their own money.    We each are different.  Some of Elton's songs are classics, yet I questioned the $7950 for front row tickets unless it included a blowjob from Elton, not that I am into gay sex.

AS a student I stood leaning over the stage at a multi-frat party to watch Tina Turner.  Free, of course as part of Spring Weekend.    The point is front row seats for great performers is a lifetime memory. 

Offline ML

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2019, 08:10:07 PM »
Ike and Tina also came to University when I was student.

They were early in their career, so only got paid some minimum amount and were scheduled during some official 'free hour' for such events held in the gymnasium.

I  remember they arrived late (of course) and really just got going when the hour period was half over.

Right at the assigned (end of hour) quitting time, a University Administrator walked out onto the floor and tried to get them to stop playing and singing.  A lot of boos from the students and they played on a couple more minutes, but then did finally stop.

Offline ML

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 08:16:52 PM »
FP and ML,

You seem judgmental about personal decisions in spending their own money.   

But still we are just giving our opinions.

I think it is totally disgusting, as an example, that kids in the ghettos are going without proper medical care and nourishment, and probably stealing money . . . to buy for a hundred dollars or more the latest sneakers autographed by multimillionaires.

Same can be said for adults who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to enrich a multimillionaire performer when such money could be contributed to homeless shelters for veterans, etc.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 01:19:57 AM »
I forgot to mention the cost of the normal tickets in NZ.  The VIP package I purchased is $450.

The $7950 tickets are not last minute:  the concert in Boston is in November.  Obvious scalper, but a legal one since they're reselling through the ticketmaster site.

The NZ trip is not just for the concert.  Wifey and I will plan a 3 week vacation there.  Flight time will be about 30 hrs, with a long delay in HK - enough to leave the airport and see the city. 

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »

I think it is totally disgusting, as an example, that kids in the ghettos are going without proper medical care and nourishment, and probably stealing money . . . to buy for a hundred dollars or more the latest sneakers autographed by multimillionaires.

Same can be said for adults who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to enrich a multimillionaire performer when such money could be contributed to homeless shelters for veterans, etc.

Hmm.

Same can be said about any capitalist or entertainment venture?  Like $120 seats at Fenway Park, or $1500 seats at Yankee Stadium.  All that money going to the multi-millionaire owners and players, when it could be contributed to better causes.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:43 AM »
Funny you say that.

Elton had to adjust his schedule for Feb show dates in New Zealand.  To compensate, he added a new date in Auckland.  It is cheaper to get VIP package with seats in the first 5 rows, plus RT business class airfare, than those front row tickets in Boston.

Mental.

Good decision. Most folks doesn't understand being on the front row isn't always the best place to be at. One needs to understand who is performing before sizing up the best seat selection. In this particular case, Elton will spend all his time behind his piano, mostly on the left side of the stage - except after intermission when he plays 'Funeral For a Friend'. The piano will travel left to right, right to left. Awesome show! Still dig the Song 'All the Girls Love Alice'. Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboys, baby!

We have a suite at Staples for all shows that include Lakers, Clippers, Kings games plus all concerts. Suite holds 12 people so when I took 10 of our closest, plus wifey of course - everyone had a blast! If you like EJ, you will too..
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline ML

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
Hmm.

Same can be said about any capitalist or entertainment venture?  Like $120 seats at Fenway Park, or $1500 seats at Yankee Stadium.  All that money going to the multi-millionaire owners and players, when it could be contributed to better causes.

I already covered this in one of my earlier posts where I said entertainers and athletes.

"Lost in all the talk of income inequality are the entertainers and athletes.
It is the stupid public that allows such ridiculousness to happen and exist.
I have never ever purchased any item with the name of someone attached to it."

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »

Different strokes, man. I love going to concerts although the last time I ever paid for a ticket was back in the 80s when I was following James Taylor and Robin Trower. Trower San Bernardino, IINM.

The industry I'm in now have the perks for these entertainment accesses. I'm lucky in that way. Dodgers, Angels games - behind home plate. Staples Center season passes. I also have a lot of network for all other venues Hollywood Bowl, Forum, Gibson Amp, Honda Ctr, etc..none which I ever pay for. Sure, outside of Staples, it may cost me drinks, maybe snacks, even parking - but what the heck, yes? Some people who I knew from HS/University/etc..who works in the entertainment industry grants me additional accesses. Getting tickets for any shows in LA is as easy as a phone call away. Wifey already met Joe Walsh, Bon Jovi, etc..We try to go every chance we get.

Even the Pantages theater. We already saw Cats / Fiddler / Les Miserables, etc..

I remember back when at the Viper Room / Whiskey A were hot, there'd be popular artists that would perform in these small venues unannounced to the public. Sheryl Crow, Dishwalla, Adam Duritz (Counting Crows), John Mayer, etc...unplugged. I'd get a phone call in the morning, or even a day prior, to drop the news then just show up.

Today, I have a huge hand in the construction of this: http://lastadiumathp.com/gallery/ You talk about grotesque capitalism, that in a nutshell, epitomize the meaning of the term. 100% off the original budget. Whoever gave them the diligence before really needs to do some serious soul searching. When this opens next year, you bet I'm watching the Rams and the Chargers and whatever else performs in there...

But all of these aren't all glitz. We do have provisions. The city of Inglewood is already profiting from the development of the stadium. A whole lot of revenue are already hitting everyone, from the local government, county, state and even private  businesses and property owners. From our part - from San Luis Obispo to OC to IE...I've always been heavily engaged with habitat for humanity program. http://www.habitat.org/

It's all good, man.

Now, you want to know who the real capitalist whores are? Try the NCAA, baby. All those hundreds of billions of dollars they rake in every year from their sport teams, and they still charge students top dollars for their admissions.

Edit: Wanted to add, my biggest regret was skipping Tom Petty's last concert due to an engagement we committed to.

Also, last year's Arroyo Seco music festival was pretty darn good. Even MIL liked it. Robert Plant, Neil Young, Alanis Morisette, Bangles, Pretenders, Aaron Neville, etc..   http://www.arroyosecoweekend.com/artists/#/artists/alphabetical  Good time!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:20:21 AM by GQBlues »

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
FP and ML,

You seem judgmental about personal decisions in spending their own money.    We each are different.  Some of Elton's songs are classics, yet I questioned the $7950 for front row tickets unless it included a blowjob from Elton, not that I am into gay sex.

AS a student I stood leaning over the stage at a multi-frat party to watch Tina Turner.  Free, of course as part of Spring Weekend.    The point is front row seats for great performers is a lifetime memory.

I'm not being judgemental, I'm just stating a fact. I really wouldn't. I wish Steve well and hope he enjoys the show. I wouldn't pretend to tell him or anyone else how to spend their money. I saw Elton many years ago and it was a good show, in the late 80's. I've liked a lot of his music mostly the early stuff but, I would not walk across the street to see him today. I especially wouldn't at those prices. IIRC, I paid less than 20 bucks to see Elton John. I do remember the day I heard a ticket to see Michael Jackson was 100 dollars. I thought then the world had gone insane.

The fact is, I'm not a cheap bastard. Up until a couple of years ago I had a standing order of tickets to the Sugar Bowl every year. First refusal of an 8 ticket lot. I'm almost a shame to say what I paid for some of those except, I made money on them every year. I just don't know of one entertainer that is worth those inflated ticket prices. Literally, there is nobody I wish to see that bad

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
Barenaked Ladies.  Best concert I've attended.  Queen with Freddy, which is not possible.((

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958
Most Online Ever: 12701