It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Stories of Life in Eastern Europe  (Read 1450 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Stories of Life in Eastern Europe
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:48 PM »

Not everyone can be a Cossack.

We attended an outdoor show in Zaporozhia by descendants of the Zaporozhian Cossacks, one of the fiercest of the Cossack groups. These Cossacks were primarily serfs, many fleeing from oppression from various parts of Eastern Europe.

The Zaporozhian Cossacks were all males, fierce fighters, and lived by a parliamentary system of self-rule. They usually lived outside of towns and villages and protected Ukraine from invaders such as the Poles and Vikings.

We watched, enthralled by the gallantry of their handling of horses, swords, spears, and fire.

It was so exciting that I decided to become a Cossack right there on the spot! I turned to the Angel Princess, and the conversation went something like this:

Mendeleyev: This is exciting! I want to be a Cossack when I grow up, too.

Angel Princess: Really?! That is quite a surprise.

Mendeleyev: Just think, I can fight off the invading Vikings. (If memory serves me correctly, the Vikings haven't had a winning season in decades. This should be a piece of cake and I will look like a hero.)

Angel Princess: Do you think that you could handle all that? There would be a great deal of skill required.

Mendeleyev: I rode horses as a teenager. I don't own a sword, but surely I could borrow one to practice. And, a spear. Where can I buy a good spear? Maybe a used spear to get started, in good condition of course.

Angel Princess: Do you understand that real Cossacks were all men, and each submitted to a procedure that would render them celibate all their lives so that they could dedicate their efforts to defending Ukraine?

Mendeleyev: Sure, no prob....wait.....ah, did you just say "celebrate?"

Angel Princess: No, I said something very different.

Mendeleyev: Oh. Ahem... (long silence)

Angel Princess: You can volunteer immediately after the show today, if you wish.

Mendeleyev: I think that I want to be a journalist when I grow up. Write stories, make photos, speak on Radio and TV.

Angel Princess: (smiling broadly) Wise decision.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Stories of Life in Eastern Europe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:34:18 AM »
Way to go, Taras Bulba!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Stories of Life in Eastern Europe
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Way to go, Taras Bulba!

In the for what it is worth Taras Bulba was a N. Gogol novel later made into music by L. Janáček.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1950
Total: 1959

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM