It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: In A Bind  (Read 10700 times)

Offline DuckMan

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
In A Bind
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Greetings,

Staying at Cityhotel Kiev 10 - 17 September. I'm really pressed for time or I'd read the whole site again. Hope I dont' get the newbie use the search dunce cap. Where's the best place to change money? What gifts are favored? The best chocolate is over there. Any help appreciated.

Scooter

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: In A Bind
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Where's the best place to change money?

There are money exchanges outside every few blocks that exchange money. Rates are posted on signs so look for the best one. Banks can do it too. If you need some money right away, there is a money exchange at the airport but you're not going to get the best rate.

What gifts are favored?

Try to buy gifts made in your home country. If it works out between you and the lady, she will remember the gifts for a lifetime. My wife like the photo book of the state I live in the most. It gave her a glimpse of her future home.

The best chocolate is over there.

Buy candy the ladies can't buy themselves. See's truffles and Almond Roca, both made in America, are always a hit among the ladies.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »
Greetings,

Staying at Cityhotel Kiev 10 - 17 September. I'm really pressed for time or I'd read the whole site again. Hope I dont' get the newbie use the search dunce cap. Where's the best place to change money? What gifts are favored? The best chocolate is over there. Any help appreciated.

Scooter

You'll discover that where isn't a problem. However, be sure to take only new crisp unblemished 50 and 100 dollar bills

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:23:44 PM »
Bring her some high line perfume, a name brand. That'll be a hit ;D

Make sure you like the way it smells though
NB: don't mention that you're pressed for time
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline Boethius

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:39:36 PM »
If you plan on purchasing perfume, ask her what she would like, perhaps 4 or 5 choices.  A woman may tell you she loves the perfume you purchase for her because it's polite, but if she doesn't like the scent, she won't wear it.  In Ukraine, she may sell it.

Perfumes smell different on different people, so it's difficult to know what will work for her.

If you're in a big city, go to Sephora and buy some bath/shower gels and hand/body lotions.  Ask the staff for something light and citrusy.  Light citrus scents are pretty safe.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:15 AM »
Some many topics on excellent gift ideas, so yes, use the search function.  :D
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline oso

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
Greetings,

Scooter

Scooter, First off welcome here...

You need to slow down and read more carefully about certain things.

I can not believe, with my own eyes I see you are coming to Kyiv Sept. 10-17 and staying @ Cityhotel. Which in my view is in one of the highest tourist crime areas (Golden Gate area)....Why don't you tell the world that your flight lands @ 13:30 also. Do not tell anyone where you will stay....just family at home, so they know a general area to search when you don't return.......This is Ukraine!!! not Podunk Ohio. This is the land of corruption and crime. There is war here and more and more displaced people are arriving in Kyiv by the day....
You made a mistake that makes you a big target here....If you can, choose another hotel.

Offline DuckMan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:45:46 PM »
No one else jumped on Cityhotel so bad but feel free. Appreciate all the advice.

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
Scooter, First off welcome here...

You need to slow down and read more carefully about certain things.

I can not believe, with my own eyes I see you are coming to Kyiv Sept. 10-17 and staying @ Cityhotel. Which in my view is in one of the highest tourist crime areas (Golden Gate area)....Why don't you tell the world that your flight lands @ 13:30 also. Do not tell anyone where you will stay....just family at home, so they know a general area to search when you don't return.......This is Ukraine!!! not Podunk Ohio. This is the land of corruption and crime. There is war here and more and more displaced people are arriving in Kyiv by the day....
You made a mistake that makes you a big target here....If you can, choose another hotel.

Crime--the only crime I see is the price of staying there!!

I am not even sure if you are making jokes here or not--  high crime area? ReallY/--I dont think so!
I often use a hotel ( 1/4 of the price btw & apartments even cheaper) very close to the City Hotel   and know the area  quite well-- and would in fact suggest general area as being a good place to stay.  Close to Maidan,( maybe not such a good idea today!--but in 2 weeks?) and station and walking distance to much of  Kiev.

From the REVIEWS__

26 August 2015
Adebayo
 South Africa
5 reviews
"Great Hotel. Excellent value for money!"
• Business trip• Couple• 2 rooms• Stayed 2 nights
Room size and ambiance was excellent

Helpful?

25 August 2015
Anastasia
 Russia
25 reviews
Exceptional
• Business trip• Couple• Standard Double Room• Stayed 3 nights• Submitted via mobile
Nothing. Everything was great!

This hotel is excellent. Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the 15th floor with a panoramic view of the city.

Helpful?

20 August 2015
Mark
 United Kingdom
1 review
"Great hotel, well placed. Smart place to base yourself whilst in Kiev."
• Leisure trip• Solo traveller• Standard Double Room (1 Adult)• Stayed 7 nights
Fitness centre was small with few facilities.  Restaurant overpriced (for Kiev)

Great location, friendly staff.  REALLY comfy beds.

Helpful?

20 August 2015
Julia
 Turkey
1 review
"Pleasure to stay"
• Leisure trip• Solo traveller• Standard Twin Room• Stayed 2 nights
Very minor stuff, shower heads didn't hold at 2 different rooms I had. Little smell (I guess the lack of one way drain valve) when the water is turned on

Very good value compared to the US hotels at the similar price range. Very professional stuff. 2 hour laundry/ironing option. They provide free ironing board/Iron upon request in 20 mins. Nice street with good dining, and a cheap sushi bar. Convenience stores close by. Better hamburger then the US, overall very good food. New, modern interiors

Helpful?

20 August 2015
Travellino
 Azerbaijan
Age group: 35 – 44
7 reviews
"Greatest place of stay for Kiev"
• Business trip• Solo traveller• Standard Double Room• Stayed 2 nights
Great Location, Clean Room, Perfect place as for business travel and for leisure

Helpful?

17 August 2015
Martin
 Netherlands
4 reviews
"Good hotel perfect location"
• Leisure trip• Group of friends• Standard Double Room• Stayed 3 nights• Submitted via mobile
Good hotel and perfect for exploring Kiev
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:49:40 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline DuckMan

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Thank you! I read many recent reviews elsewhere and it sounds good. I've talked to the staff and they are extremely helpful and friendly. Point taken on announcing too much. Also read that banks and atm's are plentiful. I get good exchange with my VISAs.

Scooter

Offline oso

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
I think you misunderstood.....I did not say the hotel was crappy....I said there has been a lot of crime in that area the last month or so. The amount of displaced people from areas effected by the war are ending up in the tourist areas and causing problems.....Just because BBC doesn't report about all things, doesn't mean it is not happening.
All I was doing by mentioning this is so you could have a happy, enjoyable and SAFE trip....Have fun!
Maybe you should read some of our local papers instead of dating agency ads :)

Offline JayH

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:24 PM »
I think you misunderstood.....I did not say the hotel was crappy....I said there has been a lot of crime in that area the last month or so. The amount of displaced people from areas effected by the war are ending up in the tourist areas and causing problems.....Just because BBC doesn't report about all things, doesn't mean it is not happening.
All I was doing by mentioning this is so you could have a happy, enjoyable and SAFE trip....Have fun!
Maybe you should read some of our local papers instead of dating agency ads :)

Do you think you are the only one in Kiev ?Or has been in Kiev?

Stupid attempts to insult out of your ignorance only serves to discredit you.

btw  where exactly are you?
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »
Do you think you are the only one in Kiev ?Or has been in Kiev?

Stupid attempts to insult out of your ignorance only serves to discredit you.

btw  where exactly are you?

What's up with the flaming? Lighten up Francis, he's only attempting to provide the guy with some helpful information.

Offline southernX

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »
id agree with bo , dont buy perfume ,
it is a very personal thing iv found that each woman needs to choose for herself usually
once you know her tastes then yes you can buy her perfume

night cream is also a good option , but not a gift if you havent met yet  lol

keep your cash low key and your witts about you , ive never had any issues in ukraine ,but the comments by oso about the current on the ground situation need to be considered and acted on wisely while your there  imo

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 12:04:27 AM »
Duckman, OSO is Ukrainian, and lives in Kyiv (Kiev). The advice was regarding the hotel area, not the property. Which, by the way, is a valid point in recent weeks.

On your next trip you may wish to consider an apartment--much more privacy and you can bring the lady there without the hassle often encountered in a commercial hotel.

Riots in the centre of the city picked up yesterday. There may be continued unrest as the government is trying to gather enough votes to allow the Eastern rebel areas to be autonomous. During a stand off between protesters and police, someone launched a grenade and several people were seriously injured and there was one fatality.

It will be very important that you are aware of your whereabouts at all times and have more than one escape route out of the area if things get heated.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline oso

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 01:13:26 AM »
First off I would like to apologize if I came off on the wrong foot. Call me stupid, crazy.....Yes, I live here.

I want you to enjoy your stay here in the city that I love. I don't live under a rock, I am out almost daily and interact with my community. Things change here on a daily basis....Tensions are strong here in the capital city, although I consider it safe...Just be wise and very careful.

If things fall through with your meeting, I am offering my assistance to help you enjoy this beautiful city and its offerings....Pm me for my phone number.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »
Duckman, OSO is Ukrainian, and lives in Kyiv (Kiev).

No, he's American, and as I understand, does not speak Ukrainian or Russian.

I know that area well.  Just don't carry a lot of cash (no more than you are willing to lose), don't wear an expensive watch, don't carry an expensive phone, don't get drunk, and watch for pickpockets.  Pickpockets probably are the biggest risk to tourists.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Thank you for that correction, Bo.

In an update to the street riot that broke out on Monday, the government says that one of the seriously wounded national guardsmen is barely hanging on. If he dies, that will be two fatalities from that riot.

Meanwhile, Ukraine does not have enough gas to make it through the winter, and to step up the pressure on Ukraine, Alexi Miller who is the CEO of Russia's Gazprom, told reporters today that Russia does not plan to supply Ukraine with additional gas.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
I'd read that 3 National Guardsmen had died.  Very tragic.  The National Post has pretty graphic photos. :( :(

I wonder if Ukraine will purchase gas from other Gazprom clients, as it did last year?  It's not good business sense for Gazprom, and is more evidence of why the EU needs to diversify its energy supply.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
Greetings,

Scooter

I highly recommend staying in an apartment and not a hotel for several reasons.
1. Price and apartment costs less or about the same
2. If it has a washer you don't have to bring as many clothes and pack a lot less.
3. You can cook a meal, have a party or guests.
4. You can "play house" in it
5. You can wake up at 4:00 AM suffering from jet lag, turn on MTV, make yourself
a sandwich or a snack while in your underwear. In a hotel, you would either go
hungry or have to get dressed and try to find an all night diner with your probably
less than perfect Russian.
6. Often times a hotel will treat a female guest as if she is a prostitute that hasn't
given them their kickback.
7. Often times a girl will worry about others thinking she is a prostitute if she
is seen by somebody she knows in or around a hotel lobby.

I highly recommend reading this starting out thread here
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=14615.0

Then the free ebook here
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=47

Then read all the trip reports, you can find mine here
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=3432.0

As you do your research you will have questions jot them down and either
use the search function or come back to this thread and post them. When
you post a question you will get a lot of advice. Much of the advice will be
good but some will be dubious. Your job is to sift through the advice and
use what will work best for you, your personality, your goals and your situation.

Most of all don't get offended by any of the advice. Nobody knows you here
aside from what you post so, use the good stuff and ignore the rest.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline cc3

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
dobovo.com...a good site to find 'short term' rental apartments. I have used it for three years with mostly good results. Now, I actually live in Lviv, a beautiful and peaceful city that I much prefer over Kyiv.

Offline BCKev

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »

Buy candy the ladies can't buy themselves. See's truffles and Almond Roca, both made in America, are always a hit among the ladies.

I'd like to add that chocolate oranges went over very well. Apparently not available in Ukraine, and a tasty novelty.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=359026&storeId=10052&langId=-1

Offline DuckMan

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
Can't tell you how much all the great advice above is appreciated. I am moving into a new house built to my specs while I was overseas. 80% of my furniture is in the living room as my hired help the last three days only had enough back for that. On and on and on. I postponed the trip. I realized I need to go back through everything on this site as I did earlier, much earlier. I have tickets that have to be used or lost within a decent timeframe. I hope the lady isn't too mad. I apologized profusely and told her to tell me her expenses for the ticket to Kiev. I'm waiting to see how that goes. Two false starts. This trip was too hastily planned. That's how bad I'd like to go.

Much, much good advice in this thread. As usual this site is a wealth of knowledge. And, yes, Bill I read your trip report and others. If I remember correctly yours was the most complete and was quite an adventure. Someone was almost  stuck in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night but it turned out OK.

I'll be back.

Scooter

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Duckman,
It's unfortunate you have to postpone the trip.  If it weren't for the lady waiting for you, it might not be a bad idea anyway.  The current unrest could turn into a powder keg without any notice.  It will also give you more time for learning and planning..  When you do go, I hope your able to not rush in and out and instead, take advantage of meeting people and learning more about the culture first hand.

Your 'lost in the middle of the night' comment might have been from one of my trip reports that dealt with an all night taxi ride from one end of the country to the other with a cab needing LNG for fuel.   ;D   I don't think I would make that trip again in today's political climate.

Let us know when you plan to make your trip.
Doug (Calmissile)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2204
Total: 2213

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM