It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The cost of your search...  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Todd

The cost of your search...
« on: February 25, 2006, 07:05:15 PM »
I thought this might be an interesting topic to take up in the starting out section.  How much did it cost from when you first thought about travelling to Russia whether to meet a woman or just to travel to when your bride received her permission to work in the US. 

For myself, the total cost was roughly $20,000, which I consider very cheap considering that includes 4 trips to the region, a wedding, six months of support here, and braces.  I think costs would have been considerably more IF she had children. 

My point here is that people should not start something they can't finish.

Offline ronin308

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:33:04 PM »
Do I count the trips back while waiting for the K-1?  :)

I don't consider myself a "success" until she's here and we're married but we might as well be now.  I've spent over 5 weeks with her now and next week we're off to Egypt.

My cost was $4700 for the first trip I undertook to meet the woman of my dreams.  (I had traveled to Ukraine before, but that trip was before I became interested in FSU women (actually that trip is what sparked my interest).

Since the original "One week wonder" trip I've done the following:

2 weeks in Turkey $3500 (buying airfare to Kiev the week before leaving in the middle of summer was stupid)

10 days in October in her hometown $1800 (mainly airfare)

14 days in December/Jan in her hometown $1800 (airfare again)

At last 10 days in Egypt $2000 (screaming $800 rt from LAX to KBP deal from Lufthansa)

So in total $13900, but I intend on traveling back to see her every 2 months until the K-1 is done (right now we're at 8 months, thanks CSC) then of course will be my trip to bring her back god willing I'll have time to go.

It helps in my case that I'm a consultant and can take off time between major projects.

Offline 525i

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:31:33 AM »
Who counts?

OK, your costs are quite high. I try to remember what my search has cost for me. I do not count the many hours I have browsed websites and written letters.

First I went to meet a woman in Moscow. Visa cost 35€, train to Moscow and back cost ~120€ (current price) + hotel (pick your own price & depends on how many days you stay). With hotel I made a mistake. I should have reserved it earlier to get a better price. Total cost about 360€. I do not count eating and other things.

Second woman lived in Sofia. Flight to Sofia and back cost about 350€, hotel was 35€ I think and six nights (210€) + parking my car at airport + gasoline. That is about 630€.

Third woman lived in Kherson. Double entry visa about 100€ and flight about 400€. hotels/apartments in different places, train, bus, entertainment. Well, I do not know. I should see my Visa bill. I think this all cost around 1000€. Her visit in here cost too. Flight 330€, visa 35€, going to airport twice. I do not count how much I spent with her in here. I have also called her many times and we have talked quite a lot. That is a cost too. What is the total amount? Lets say 2000€.

So far I have met three women and the total cost has been 3000€.

Now I am communicating with a woman living in Riga. Unfortunately the phone company I use does not have good prices for Latvian mobile phones, so my phone calls will cost more than with Ukrainian woman. There is another reason also. Her English is fluent and we have a good communication, so one hour passes easily. I just checked the flight price to Riga and the cheapest (airBaltic) is 130€. The flight time is 1h 5min :-) Of course I need to go to Helsinki-Vantaa airport first.

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:06:44 AM »
Humm, I couldn't even guess I think I am about ready for trip 18 and still don't have much other than a few prospects.   Maybe $ 100,000 and still climbing.

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 02:24:47 AM »
I don't recall the exact cost of my search but I do know it was well over $20,000 Canadian & that does not include imigration costs because she hasn't imigrated, LOL.

I can only say had I been able to find an agency like mine when I was looking it would have cost me considerably less. At the time I used a Full Service Agency & the costs were outragous ($250.00 per day) & some of the services I paid for I never did recieve. I can only tell guys to shop around, many of these agencies charge way more than what you should be paying for the service you receive. Most of us realize this after the first trip but they have already gouged you for the first trip by then.

Shop around it pays to compare. Mind you sometimes you are limited to where your lady lives, no matter the cost.

RVR-Canadian Cowboy/Agency Owner
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 04:34:04 AM »
Cost of search.. zero since we met while both on vacation.

Follow up trips, wedding, immigration, initial clothing, insurance, in-law visits, visits back home, telephone, loss of productive work time (self employed)  etc etc etc.  Getting settled in was a pretty big bundle that I can only estimate..  somewhere between 25 and 40 K over the first couple years.  The majority air travel was paid for with mile programs.

This is not counting normal family requirements like food, school, hobbies etc pregnancy, newborn, furniture, household needs and improvements etc etc.

Financially things are just beginning to normalize after 3 years leaving us with travel costs for visits home and inviting the in-laws every couple of years.

I remember getting a piece of RW related spam many years ago and thinking to myself "hey this looks like a quick cheap easy way"..  before hitting delete.

Thank goodness for small wonders. I realize now I would have never been able to swing it back then. :D

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 06:05:31 AM »
Similar to BC cost of search was $0

Cost of everything required to be together was substantially higher :shock:. Of course this was back in 2002/2003, but I spent approx. $13,500 from the time we met online til the wedding, another $2000 on the wedding/honeymoon and probably another $3000 on AOS/EAD/AP, Credential evaluation,  English classes, wardrobe, etc... until she started to work in summer of 2004. YMMV

Consider also, this includes no translation fees (other than a few Docs) and no agency fees, as niether were needed. Also, on the last trip to Russia, we stayed at her place for the better part of a month, so no lodging fees for that.

525 - Must be nice to live right next door! I understand there are even express busses that run between Helsinki and Sankt Petersburg several times a week. If I lived 6000 miles closer, my costs would not have been nearly as high either ;).

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:15:00 AM by Jet »
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline DogFace

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »
Having an S Corp in place for consulting provided a means to explore additional business lines, for example import/export. 

I find that I am in regular need to examine the culture to refine my business plan.  4 trips so far.  I even expect a trip to the US Embassy in the late spring to inquire about business prospects.  Amazingly, I expect my fiancee to be conducting her K-1 interview at about that time!  Nothing like having the US State Dept help validate the Company's activities.

Speaking of interviews, you won't believe the coincidence here.  I am, through sheer coincidence mind you, interviewing my fiancee for a significant position in the S Corp for translation, cultural insight, keeping current on FSU affairs, and facilitating business contacts and accommodations during anticipated annual trips back to the FSU.  Of course the Company will have to help her with English lessons and support her understanding of US culture by providing occasional trips to different parts of the country.

So I can rationalize that this endeavor has cost ME nothing.  On the other hand there are some expenses borne by the corporation that cut into profit sharing and dividend payouts.

Offline Todd

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
I think that one of my suspicions has been borne out with people's comments.  In general, the cost of the search itself is generally small in comparison to the costs that will be incurred after you met someone that you DO actually want to marry.  I think that many people don't factor these costs into their considerations when they undertake their search.

Todd

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 02:32:06 AM »
Todd,

You are likely correct.

I can imagine some scenarios where someone might even go into debt once the 'point of no return' is reached.  The 'bride' arrives to a financial disaster, blasting away her expectations of a living a better life than in FSU.  Certainly this would cause some rather serious thoughts (if she realizes what the true situation is) and possibly a breakdown of the relationship.

Also over the years on the boards there seems to be quite an interest in women doctors and other 'high level' professions, maybe some escapist thought processes rationalizing that a woman could be an 'investment' and eventually pay her own way or even raise the staus of the man.

All kinds out there I'm sure..

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Todd,

I think this is spot on -

" I think that one of my suspicions has been borne out with people's comments.  In general, the cost of the search itself is generally small in comparison to the costs that will be incurred after you met someone that you DO actually want to marry.  I think that many people don't factor these costs into their considerations when they undertake their search."

The costs escalate rapidly once your fiance is with you.  I spent over $30K searching and maybe 3 times that amount in the first 2 years of our marriage. 

This is an expensive business!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
Re: The cost of your search...
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 05:28:20 PM »
This hasn't been updated in many moons, so I thought I would ask
how much did you spend?

1. For the Search

2. For the Government fees, getting married and getting her moved to your country.

3. Since she arrived above the costs of marrying a local girl. Example: Dental work,
driving lessons etc.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1900
Total: 1911

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM