It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Visa  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Rizz44

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Visa
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:17:31 AM »
How does getting a visa works
She lives in Kiev , coming to US.

I have no idea on how this works or what needs to be done.

Offline GregfromGa

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Visa
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »
First and foremost Rizz44, you need to determine if she is actually a real person with solid intentions. There are some avenues that you can go through. I highly doubt the US government will issue her a visa to just come see you. If she has ties to Ukraine then she might get a tourist visa. Ties meaning kids,apartment, ETC. Have you skyped with her?  What are the chances of you going there? Can you take off work and go there? This process is not cheap.

Offline jone

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:21:56 AM »
For a Tourist Visa

Typically an individual hires a Visa Application Company (now many of the applicants do it themselves but recently I have heard that the Visa Application companies are becoming much more popular).  They usually charge around $100 USD.  Then documents are obtained.  One such document is proof that the Visa Applicant will have enough money once in the US.   The amount of money depends on the stay duration.  Typically, I have heard that $2000 is the amount used by most reviewers, but I also have heard it can change.  That means your applicant has $2000 in a ready bank account.

Once the documentation is assembled, the application is sent to Consular Services at the US Embassy along with a check for USD 160.00.  Once received, an interview is set up.  The interviewer will talk directly to the applicant, no one else.  They will assume that the applicant is attempting to circumvent the visa process and emigrate to the US.  It is up to the applicant to prove otherwise.  Here are some things that they will ask:

1.  Reason for the trip?

2.  Do you own property in Ukraine?

3.  Do you have dependents residing in Ukraine?

4.  Do you own property in Ukraine that is at risk if you do not return?

I am aware that those applying for a US Visa are turned down approximately 80% of the time if it is a tourist visa.

In the past, we have used Congressional support and letters of invitation to confirm intent to return to Ukraine.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:26:37 AM »
Not a fiancee.  A fiancee visa is totally different from a Tourist Visa.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »
For a Tourist Visa

Typically an individual hires a Visa Application Company (now many of the applicants do it themselves but recently I have heard that the Visa Application companies are becoming much more popular).  They usually charge around $100 USD.  Then documents are obtained.  One such document is proof that the Visa Applicant will have enough money once in the US.   The amount of money depends on the stay duration.  Typically, I have heard that $2000 is the amount used by most reviewers, but I also have heard it can change.  That means your applicant has $2000 in a ready bank account.

Once the documentation is assembled, the application is sent to Consular Services at the US Embassy along with a check for USD 160.00.  Once received, an interview is set up.  The interviewer will talk directly to the applicant, no one else.  They will assume that the applicant is attempting to circumvent the visa process and emigrate to the US.  It is up to the applicant to prove otherwise.  Here are some things that they will ask:

1.  Reason for the trip?

2.  Do you own property in Ukraine?

3.  Do you have dependents residing in Ukraine?

4.  Do you own property in Ukraine that is at risk if you do not return?

I am aware that those applying for a US Visa are turned down approximately 80% of the time if it is a tourist visa.

In the past, we have used Congressional support and letters of invitation to confirm intent to return to Ukraine.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Right. My Congressman's support wasn't enough to convince them last week. Then again I was expecting a "Nyet" and wasn't disappointed   :D

Schengen visa to follow for late July.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
Not a fiancee.  A fiancee visa is totally different from a Tourist Visa.

Yes, I know.
The thread starter only mentions 'a visa'.
What are the chances of a single lady from Ukraine [ though not really specified] getting a 'tourist visa' to the USA?
IN 2001 these chances were nil.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:14:53 PM by tfcrew »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:30:33 PM »
Yes, I know.
What are the chances of a single lady from Ukraine [ though not really specified] getting a 'tourist visa' to the USA?

But in 2016,,,  both Americans and Ukrainians can go to CUBA!!!
We need a government of action to fight for working families!
Caleb Maupin

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:40:39 PM »
Or the Dominican Republic...why go to Cuba?

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »
Right. My Congressman's support wasn't enough to convince them last week. Then again I was expecting a "Nyet" and wasn't disappointed   :D

Why did you get yourself involved in the process when several here told you that the woman revealing a man friend in USA would cause her chances of getting tourist visa to be close to zero?

It cost you or her a couple of hundred bucks or so to follow a procedure that had virtually zero chance of success.

If she would have kept knowledge of you completely out of the picture . . . her chance of success would have been greatly increased . . . but still not a certainty.

Of course you don't have to answer . . . but I am completely mystified at your actions in this situation.

It's like you saw the sign on the bench that said 'Wet Paint'  . . . and you decided to sit on it anyway.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »
Actually, ML,

That has been successful.  CalMissile's wife was denied a Tourist Visa but then obtained one because his Congressman intervened.

Offline ML

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »
Actually, ML,

That has been successful.  CalMissile's wife was denied a Tourist Visa but then obtained one because his Congressman intervened.

Not sure the complete story now as I have forgotten what Doug posted.

But, in any event, that is a somewhat different situation.
Since the were married, the Embassy knew she would be coming here one way or the other anyway, so they probably just gave in.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:17:56 AM »
Yes, I know.

Oh I doubt chances were ever nil.. most likely those being refused visa's were not able to qualify/meet the requirement to overcome intent to immigrate.

Mainly:

No stable income, no visa
No job history, no visa
No substantial savings for the trip, no visa
No other substantial links to compel return, no visa

on top of that:

Boyfriend or other 'sponsor' in the US, no visa

A woman even beautiful that could demonstrate a long employment history, tax records, vacation statement from employer, property and/or strong family ties, adequate savings for the trip, a good itinerary, proper organized tour booking or business purpose probably had decent chances even back in 2001.

But of course women that would qualify listing themselves on MOB sites were likely unicorn rare.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM